• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverThatBored

[NeverThatBored] She Loves A Lot of Things

I did an Any Way You Want It challenge loosely themed around this song last year, but the forums seem to have eaten all posts from that particular challenge cycle, so... do over! Any Way You Want It 2.0. She loves all the thi~ings. 

This challenge is based on 2 facts:

1. As most of you probably know, I have a teensy tiny problem with rangerbrain. The next 2 months are about to go into rangerbrain overdrive (swim class, Japanese class, Aikido, Crossfit, maybe some yoga #YOLO)
  2. My actual main challenge with health goals revolves around food way more than anything to do with any of the above nonsense 

So even though I do have fitness goals & such I want to work towards, I'm just going to ignore all that for now and focus the actual challenge goals here on food. I keep trying to set food goals and losing focus, so I'm hoping if my goals are 100% food-focused, I might be able to actually make some progress.

Goals:

1. Eat lunch without a screen in front of me at least 5 days/week (20 for the challenge)
  2. Focus on winning The Hunger Games against my gut - do not eat if I'm not 100% sure I'm hungry, even if it means going a long time without eating. Yes/No score each day = 28 points/challenge.
  3. Sugar:
    • No more than 1 "dessert" type food or drink each day + at least 1 day without dessert in any form (24 or fewer points per week)
    • When I do eat dessert, am I at least consciously considering how to reduce the sugar quantity? (e.g. 2 girl scout cookies vs. a piece of cake) (Yes/No score each day = 28 points/challenge)

I don't want to overdo it on the goals or tracking, so I'm using these as general guidelines but not fully tracking them unless something changes:

• Meal balance: consider protein, healthy fat, veggies, carbs quality, carb quantity - how consistent can I be?
  • I shouldn't need many snacks if I'm doing this right, unless I replace a meal with a snack or something. 
  • Meal prep - focus on basic components over specific recipes 
  • Avoid eating out too many times in a row

Tools:

• If I find I'm struggling, I may whip out the YouAte app to do some picture-based food logging for the challenge
  • Recognize when my head/heart are hungry vs. when my body is hungry - use different interventions for head/heart hunger:
    • Make tea/water and have a tea break if it's just wanting a break
    • Use a pomodoro timer if it's a procrastination issue
    • Gum if I just really want to chew something
    • Go outside if I just need to get away from my kitchen
    • Meditate/do some fancy breathing for emotions
    • Listen to music, read, take a bath, do yoga, etc. as needed

• Like 11

Love the tools you have chosen to help you on the journey.  Interested to see how your lunches without screen time goes.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Love the tools you have chosen to help you on the journey.  Interested to see how your lunches without screen time goes.

I did it sporadically throughout the last challenge and I think it definitely helps. It annoys me to do it because I really want the screen time, but I pay more attention to my hunger signals when I do it. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I did it sporadically throughout the last challenge and I think it definitely helps. It annoys me to do it because I really want the screen time, but I pay more attention to my hunger signals when I do it. 

Do you do anything else when you eat, such as read a book, or do you eat totally distraction free? I read, and honestly I'm not sure if I noticed much difference as far as hunger cues between that and looking at a screen.Still pondering whether I want to try again with this goal next challenge

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Do you do anything else when you eat, such as read a book, or do you eat totally distraction free? I read, and honestly I'm not sure if I noticed much difference as far as hunger cues between that and looking at a screen.Still pondering whether I want to try again with this goal next challenge

It fluctuates since I haven't really been strict with it. I'm trying to do nothing, not even read. But I've done it reading and I've done it poking around on a cell phone and I've done it watching stuff. I haven't done it enough to be sure yet but right now my feeling is that reading isn't AS bad, and doing nothing is still best of all. I might get bored, but that's a helpful cue in itself. 

• Like 3

Week 0 Monday Update

Food:

• Breakfast: Oatmeal with 1/2 scoop protein powder, fruit, pb2, flax seed, and almond milk 
  • Lunch: Leftover chicken fried steak with roasted broccoli. Also 2 slices of homemade wheat bread because I'd just baked it and who can resist fresh bread? And one sakura mochi.
  • Dinner: BF brought home Vietnamese garden rolls - I had two of those, some blackberries, and some avocado toast with a hardboiled egg - I ate a little past full because avocado toast, but I stopped before I finished the last few bites.

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - done! 
  2. Hunger games - I might need a "sort of" score in addition to yes/no, but I'll call it a no. I listened to hunger signals at breakfast/lunch and resisted procrastination eating in the afternoon. At dinner I wasn't full but I wasn't particularly hungry yet - but I couldn't resist the garden rolls, so I gave in. :/ 
  3. Dessert - I wanted to make it a no sugar day but then I remembered I had sakura mochi from the cherry blossom festival this weekend and I ate one....not remembering they were sweet/dessert food until after I'd started it. Bamboozled again! 
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yes - I intended to have nothing and after the rice ball I was careful to avoid additional sugar throughout the day.

In other news, I tweaked my left shoulder (back? IDK anatomy - around the shoulder blade) doing kettlebell swings at Crossfit yesterday. Twisting, reaching, inhaling deeply, etc. are all quite painful. I think this happened because I was feeling very energetic and wanted to go to aikido last night, but the universe didn't want me to. I did some yoga instead but it didn't help.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hi!

Hope the shoulder heals up quickly!

Thanks! There seem to be a lot of people with shoulder injuries right now and I don't want to be one of them!

Plus the crossfit workout today looks fun so I kind of wanted to go, but it's all shoulder stuff. T_T Same issue with Aikido and rolling.

• Like 2

Week 0 Tuesday Update

Food:

• Breakfast: Cereal with fruit and some raw oats thrown in (I made the mistake of impulse buying some whole foods cheerios knock offs...cheerios are like crack to me and I'll eat a whole box in like 2 days, but fortunately these ones weren't very good so I didn't even finish the bowl)
  • Coffee with almond milk
  • Lunch: Leftover chicken fried steak with roasted broccoli. 
  • Dinner: Burger and fries - didn't finish either. I had stuff to eat at home but I was feeling anxious and I wanted to be outside as long as possible so we ended up eating out

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - done! 
  2. Hunger games - Yes, I won! My weight moved the right way and I actually felt hungry for breakfast the next morning. Dinner was close but we ended up eating just late enough that I felt hungry.
  3. Dessert - Sugar-free day complete! Glad that's over. :P
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yes since it was a dessert free day

Again, I wanted to go to aikido, but with the shoulder issue it would probably be a bad idea (#temptedtotryanyway). A lot of movements are ok, but any form of twisting is an issue. 

• Like 6

Week 0 Wednesday Update

Food:

• Breakfast: Green smoothie with extra spinach I wanted to finish
  • Lunch: Egg salad sandwich on my homemade wheat bread, + side salad, one sakura mochi
  • Coffee with almond milk
  • Dinner: Pasta with broccoli, kalua pig, and tomato sauce,  one no sugar added cookie --> I'd been craving pasta for days, which doesn't happen that often, so I gave in and made some, and the sauce was SO GOOD so I was super excited to eat it! And then the pasta was weirdly chalky? It wasn't past the expiration date and I ate it anyway, but I was bummed! I think this happened last time I made this type of pasta, but I also grew up eating the exact same pasta so now I want to go get a fresh package and see if it's weird too. I ate half the pasta which was an actual correct portion.

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - done! And bonus - I ate outside. I did the same thing with dinner.
  2. Hunger games - Yes. I ate 3 meals and I was definitively hungry before each one. My weight came in higher the following morning, which is kind of weird and makes it feel like I lost (could also be the pasta effect). I know weight fluctuates for all kinds of reasons so I'm not sweating it, but from monitoring in the past I know I can usually see the effects of the previous day pretty clearly, so it's interesting. 
  3. Dessert - I ended up having two "dessert" type foods --> one of those sakura mochi and then a no-sugar-added cookie in the evening. I was hungry enough in the evening that I felt like it was fine at the time, but now I'm annoyed because it messes up my scoring. 
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yes - did technically have two desserts but the second was so low sugar that it was fine
  • Like 6

Also - went to Crossfit and fortunately none of the movements involved twisting, so I was able to work around my shoulder. It's improving every day, so I think it'll heal pretty quickly. 

I spent some time outside reading in the sunshine again today and it was lovely~ Lately, with the nicer weather, I keep feeling like a little kid who wants to stay out until sundown~

• Like 7

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I spent some time outside reading in the sunshine again today and it was lovely~ Lately, with the nicer weather, I keep feeling like a little kid who wants to stay out until sundown~

SAMESAMESAME

I'm so happy it's warming up...

Here for the Hunger Games and other NTB rangerosity. In my mind you are the ranger postergirl, you know! So many things always. I think focusing on the food stuff makes a lot of sense, too. 

Glad the shoulder is healing quickly. Try to take it easy and go with the flow until it's 100%

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb788226d585a706f giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb8adfa5172474c67

• Like 4

Week 0 Thursday Update

Food:

• Breakfast: Cheese omelette, 2 slices bacon, 1 slice homemade wheat bread, coffee with both milk and almond milk
  • Lunch: None - I was full until mid-afternoon then went to the oral surgeon then to Crossfit
  • Dinner: 4/5ths of a burrito - the nice weather is driving me to eat out more lately
  • Dessert: 1 slice of watermelon and one no-sugar-added cookie

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - done! And bonus - I ate outside. I did the same thing with dinner.
  2. Hunger games - I WIN I WIN I WIN - I weighed in this morning at 152, which is the previous low I hit in December before I stopped making progress. So I'm back to where I was! Also I skipped lunch because I wasn't hungry and didn't freak out about it, so that's a cool mental victory. 
  3. Dessert - Spot on - I had the one cookie. 
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yes - it was a low sugar cookie instead of the cupcake I was very tempted to go find somehow 

I'm going to visit the boyfriend's parents and some friends through Tuesday, so it might get quiet around here for a few days. We're supposed to get some intense thunderstorms starting at noon so fingers crossed I don't die on the drive there! 

• Like 8

On 4/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, NeverThatBored said:

Lately, with the nicer weather, I keep feeling like a little kid who wants to stay out until sundown~

Another reason I love my job...I get to go out and play in this :D 

here, bit late, but following! Interested in this no screen eating :lol: 

• Like 2

Week 1 Reflection

Aaaaand suddenly it's been a week. I got back from the long weekend late Tuesday night and I feel like I've been running around ever since. Every single day I've said I mean to update, but then didn't get to it. I've been feeling this frantic/busy feeling building for the past couple of weeks and I don't really know what to do about it, so I guess I'll just keep dealing with it until I have a better idea.

I've got a lot of stuff starting this week - both swimming (tonight) and Japanese 104 (tomorrow). I'm super stressed about Japanese and feel like there's so much more than I can keep track of. I'm trying to remind myself that this is voluntary so I shouldn't stress so much! 

Food has been so-so. I actually did really well during the four days I was away! My weight barely moved and I ate lots of vegetables and chose salads at restaurants and all that jazz. But since I got back, my weight has started climbing. :/ Part of the challenge was that I wasn't here to meal prep over the weekend so food was all over the place. 

So, I did a bunch of meal prep for this week - meal components like roasted veggies, rice, and proteins that should be pretty adaptable to what I'm in the mood for. I'll get back to regular check ins here now too, which should help keep me focused.

This past weekend, Sylvaa and I had our Terrain Race! It was....ok?? Seeing Sylvaa and climbing in and out of mud pits is always fun, of course! Some of the actual obstacles at the race were pretty lame...like they had a sandbag carry where you literally just carried the bags in a tiny circle and then moved on to the next obstacle. It took maybe 30 seconds?? And I wasn't feeling super psyched so I ended up skipping a lot of the obstacles that involved heights that I might normally have found the guts to do. Also, my legs started acting up and burning like crazy, so I slowed us down for a bit. It's frustrating because I've been resting my legs and not running at all, but they're still a mess...if they're going to be a mess no matter what, what did I stop running for?? We still finished in an hour though. 

• Like 4

Week 2 Monday Update

Food:

• Breakfast: Sbux breakfast sandwich and coffee
  • Lunch: Leftover hamburger steak + brown rice + veggies, 2 cookies
  • Snack: Bamba peanut snacks
  • Dinner: yogurt + granola + fruit, 2 pretzel crisps, 1 macaroon 

I got back from AM Crossfit and I was DEAD - super drained, fatigued, etc. I struggled through the workout. I'm not sure if I just slept badly or what but I was exhausted all day. I didn't want to make any effort for breakfast, hence the sbux sandwich. I took a lot of naps but still just had 0 energy all day. Also, there are too many cookies around right now - this would have been fine without them. 

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - done! I reeeeeally didn't want to, but I did it anyway. 
  2. Hunger games - Victory! I was snacky in the afternoon and gave in, but then I wasn't really hungry for dinner until late. I ended up just having the yogurt/granola instead of a bigger dinner. A perfect victory probably would have had me skip the meal entirely because it was so late at that point, but I'm uncomfortable skipping meals so I compromised.
  3. Dessert - Fail - ate that one macaroon in the evening when I saw my bf having one. >.<
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - I wasn't really conscious of it today.

I had my first swim class in the evening. There are 6 of us total in the class and the other students were all having a good time learning, which was really fun. It was also a good reminder to me to try to enjoy these voluntary activities I sign up for instead of being stressed about them! *coughjapanesecough*

We didn't actually get to breathing, which is where my swimming breaks down, but I think we'll get to that next week. 

• Like 3