• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverThatBored

[NeverThatBored] She Loves A Lot of Things

Oooh, the lunch without a screen challenge sounds awesome! My husband and I are both terrible about having our phones out at dinner :( I'm glad you enjoyed your swim class too; I haven't done Japanese in years but it was so much fun and so stressful at the same time, I agree!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kcaleece said:

Oooh, the lunch without a screen challenge sounds awesome! My husband and I are both terrible about having our phones out at dinner :( I'm glad you enjoyed your swim class too; I haven't done Japanese in years but it was so much fun and so stressful at the same time, I agree!

It's so silly, because this is a completely voluntary class I'm taking just for fun! But there's also just so much to keep up with and the teacher gets so frustrated when people don't remember certain conjugations, etc. that I immediately revert to stressed-out-student mode.

I'm trying to think more like a baby learning to walk - they're terrible at it but they just keep trying and they're so happy when they manage a couple of steps! That's how learning for fun should be too. But that's easier said than done. :P

20 minutes ago, Tesseract said:

I'm late to your party but here as a fellow Rangerbrain!

Welcome! 

• Like 2

Cheering you on in the lunch without a screen goal! I've still got it as a goal this challenge, because it is a hard habit to break. The screen pull is strong. Good job at resisting it's evil pull in week 1

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

It's so silly, because this is a completely voluntary class I'm taking just for fun! But there's also just so much to keep up with and the teacher gets so frustrated when people don't remember certain conjugations, etc. that I immediately revert to stressed-out-student mode.

I'm a language teacher myself and I have to admit to being guilty of that exact same thing once in a while. *oops* Usually for me it happens when we've done something for a while and I think there's no way they don't have it by now...and then they don't have it...it took me a good two years of teaching full-time, if I'm being honest, to get my "wait, what?!?" reaction under control. Sometimes it's hard for us to remember what it was like as a student, honestly. I've been practicing some of the verbs I teach for literally more than 2 decades, so of course *I* think it's easy, but someone without that experience would disagree. It sucks your teacher reacts like that, but maybe that thought will help you blow them off just the tiniest bit ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kcaleece said:

I'm a language teacher myself and I have to admit to being guilty of that exact same thing once in a while. *oops* Usually for me it happens when we've done something for a while and I think there's no way they don't have it by now...and then they don't have it...it took me a good two years of teaching full-time, if I'm being honest, to get my "wait, what?!?" reaction under control. Sometimes it's hard for us to remember what it was like as a student, honestly. I've been practicing some of the verbs I teach for literally more than 2 decades, so of course *I* think it's easy, but someone without that experience would disagree. It sucks your teacher reacts like that, but maybe that thought will help you blow them off just the tiniest bit ;) 

Haha, yeah, it's actually understandable from her perspective. Like - "we've gone over this several times, why don't you know it?" And I've been on the opposite end in classes where the teacher just keeps teaching the same conjugation for students who don't know it yet, which is way worse! She's not intentionally mean about it - it's just quite obvious when she's having a rough day and her patience is running low. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Cheering you on in the lunch without a screen goal! I've still got it as a goal this challenge, because it is a hard habit to break. The screen pull is strong. Good job at resisting it's evil pull in week 1

Thanks! It really is strong - sometimes you really just want to zone out during lunch and the break for eating doesn't feel like enough by itself! I've had to ask myself "if I don't want to eat without a screen, do I really want to eat right now?" and make deals like "eat without a screen first, then it's ok if you want to take some extra screen time still."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Thanks! It really is strong - sometimes you really just want to zone out during lunch and the break for eating doesn't feel like enough by itself! I've had to ask myself "if I don't want to eat without a screen, do I really want to eat right now?" and make deals like "eat without a screen first, then it's ok if you want to take some extra screen time still."

Yep, that's exactly what I do too. Also why I added the no screens while eating snacks rule this challenge. I think to make up for the no screens during lunch I started to  want snacks so I had an excuse to zone out on the computer

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I started to  want snacks so I had an excuse to zone out on the computer

Me too!! How interesting! That's been the latest development this challenge...I eat lunch without a screen and then find myself wanting snacks a little bit later.

• Like 2

Week 2 Tuesday Update

I waited a while so I'm not 100% sure, but this was mostly what I ate. Odds are I had some form of sugar, but the one dessert/day I'm allowing.

Food:

• Breakfast: yogurt + granola + berries
  • Lunch: Brown rice, black beans, and roasted veggies
  • Snack: Those damn peanut snacks. I finished them so maybe I'll be safe now. Dinner: Salmon + cheesy bread from dominos (stress-based decision - my brain: "you know what will make you feel better?? CHEESY BREAD" ugh)
  • Dessert: ?? Probably cookies

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - done!
  2. Hunger games - No - but almost, except those darn peanut snacks
  3. Dessert - I believe I (most likely) had just the one
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - I don't really remember

Wednesday Update

I woke up to a thawed out freezer. We fixed it (the vent in the back had gotten clogged with dust) but had to pull a lot of the stuff from the freezer.

Food:

• Breakfast: Green smoothie
  • Lunch: 2 breaded tilapia fillets, ketchup, and some green beans from the freezer, a bit of cantaloupe 
  • Dinner: Dumplings from the Chinese place around the corner + leftover roasted veggies + 1/2 an egg foo young patty
  • Dessert: A little bit of the fancy ice cream my bf didn't want to get rid of after the freezer failure, like 5 plantain chips

Scores:

2. Hunger games - It's kind of hard to tell right now because I'm having some digestion issues and I have a major case of volleyball belly. As best as I can tell - yes, I did not eat until I was hungry. I ate more at dinner than I needed. 
  3. Dessert - Success, just the ice cream
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - So-so - ice cream is pretty high sugar but I also didn't have a huge amount of it 

The past two dinners have involved supplementing prepped food with food from nearby takeout places. I have plenty of food still, but I get more difficult about eating it after 2 days or so. Part of it is also that my boyfriend keeps forgetting we have food and asking what I want to do for dinner, which my brain somehow responds to with some variation of "AHHH I'm forcing him to eat food he doesn't want to eat we need another plan" which is stupid but I think at least part of what's happening. I of course also want the tasty stuff so it doesn't take much for me to change the plan. I need a better system to keep this from happening, but I'm not sure what the solution is. I guess awareness is the first step.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Part of it is also that my boyfriend keeps forgetting we have food and asking what I want to do for dinner, which my brain somehow responds to with some variation of "AHHH I'm forcing him to eat food he doesn't want to eat we need another plan" which is stupid but I think at least part of what's happening.

Is this related to the freezer thawing (which SUCKS!) or a longer term thing? If a longer term thing, if it was just you, do you like to plan meals ahead, or figure it out day-by-day? Is this a difference between the two of you, or might he be up for it? I'm a planner, and I know sometimes it's hard when other people like to be more flexible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xena said:

Is this related to the freezer thawing (which SUCKS!) or a longer term thing? If a longer term thing, if it was just you, do you like to plan meals ahead, or figure it out day-by-day? Is this a difference between the two of you, or might he be up for it? I'm a planner, and I know sometimes it's hard when other people like to be more flexible.

Lol, I'm definitely both the planner and the cook. He's a city boy, so he defaults to eating out and has no interest in cooking most of the time. I prep food for the week but usually don't plan specific meals by day - it's more like, "we have XYZ things and can do a few different things with them," or "we have leftovers of X dish," or something along those lines. So there's always going to be some discussion. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:23 AM, NeverThatBored said:

The past two dinners have involved supplementing prepped food with food from nearby takeout places. I have plenty of food still, but I get more difficult about eating it after 2 days or so. Part of it is also that my boyfriend keeps forgetting we have food and asking what I want to do for dinner, which my brain somehow responds to with some variation of "AHHH I'm forcing him to eat food he doesn't want to eat we need another plan" which is stupid but I think at least part of what's happening. I of course also want the tasty stuff so it doesn't take much for me to change the plan. I need a better system to keep this from happening, but I'm not sure what the solution is. I guess awareness is the first step.

What I have found that works for me is to prep meal ideas rather than the whole meal.  For example, I will have batches of curry, pasta sauce, some lasagna, some meat pies, and some enchiladas.  Then when dinner time comes, I can whip out the list of whatever has been prepped and say "OK, these are the options for tonight, which one are you interested in.  Things like curry or pasta I just need to either cook up some rice or make make some noodles and we are good to go.  It took some experimenting, though, because some things never get chosen from the menu so I need to find out what foods will actually get chosen and prep more of those.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

What I have found that works for me is to prep meal ideas rather than the whole meal.  For example, I will have batches of curry, pasta sauce, some lasagna, some meat pies, and some enchiladas.  Then when dinner time comes, I can whip out the list of whatever has been prepped and say "OK, these are the options for tonight, which one are you interested in.  Things like curry or pasta I just need to either cook up some rice or make make some noodles and we are good to go.  It took some experimenting, though, because some things never get chosen from the menu so I need to find out what foods will actually get chosen and prep more of those.

Do you find that you end up with a lot of food waste that way? Every time I try to prep a lot of different things beyond super basic meal components, I feel like we end up throwing too much away. Any one-pot dish like curry, for example - we may eat some of it, but we don't usually get through all of it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Do you find that you end up with a lot of food waste that way? Every time I try to prep a lot of different things beyond super basic meal components, I feel like we end up throwing too much away. Any one-pot dish like curry, for example - we may eat some of it, but we don't usually get through all of it.  

Are you freezing it in separate portions? Then it's like frozen ready meals at your fingertips! I also do things that are versatile, so I will make a tomato based sausage casserole and we can have this on it's own, with bread, with pasta/gnocci/noodles and it's super versatile. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, deftona said:

Are you freezing it in separate portions? Then it's like frozen ready meals at your fingertips! I also do things that are versatile, so I will make a tomato based sausage casserole and we can have this on it's own, with bread, with pasta/gnocci/noodles and it's super versatile. 

I keep trying to freeze prepped stuff and then I never eat it! I guess that's a personal problem. :P 

Tomato based sausage casserole sounds delicious! I get what you guys are saying, sort of a middle-ground meal prep, but I guess I just don't know quite know execute on it? I tend to either make super specific one-pot dishes like shepherd's pie or cabbage-roll-in-a-bowl or curry-type things, but then we get tired of it or don't finish it all. And if I try to go the other way, I make super basic things like rice, potatoes, roasted veggies, shredded meat, burger patties, etc - which works better because I can throw it tacos or salads or into an omelette or whatever, but after a couple of days we still end up migrating away from that stuff and towards something more enticing.

• Like 3

Week 2 Thursday Update

I'm struggling to remember Thursday details since it was so long ago. I dragged myself to Crossfit in the AM so I'd be free for Aikido in the evening, but then there was a thunderstorm and I was all: NOPE. 

Food:

• Breakfast: Green smoothie, I believe 
  • Lunch: None - my stomach has still been weird and I just didn't feel hungry at all until around 4:30. When I felt that first genuine hunger pang I felt SO VICTORIOUS! Take that, gut.
  • Dinner: Leftover hamburger steak, freshly roasted parmesan sweet potatoes, and some kale caesar salad (just kale and bottled caesar), like 3-5 plantain chips

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - I didn't have lunch but I think I still get credit because I didn't eat in front of a screen. 
  2. Hunger games - HECK YEAH
  3. Dessert - None! 
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yes, since I didn't have anything

Friday Update

I had an extra Japanese class in the evening because there's a scheduling conflict with one of the classes later on, so I went to early Cfit AGAIN. The class was alright, although I feel like I'm much slower at speaking/listening than the others in the class. I wasn't the only one who was awkward at answering some of the questions, so that made me feel better. There's this super cool lady in the class who is very good at Japanese and who I also get vague "I dislike you" vibes from, which might just be me IDK. I made extra efforts to make conversation with her, and when I was asked the question "who's the best student in the class?" I chose her, which is true (we're learning comparison right now). I'LL GET HER TO LIKE ME, DANGIT. 

Food:

• Breakfast: Greenish smoothie with a bit of spinach and various bits of frozen fruits I pulled when the freezer thawed
  • Lunch: Indian buffet, since my bf works from home on Fridays
  • Dinner: Salad + a bun and a garden roll from the fancy Vietnamese place since they have outdoor seating and it was BEAUTIFUL - I'm pretty pleased at my salad choice! 
  • No desserts or snacks

Scores:

2. Hunger games - Not really? I ate too much at lunch - I did try not to overeat, but I probably ate too fast because I got increasingly full after the meal. I wasn't particularly hungry at dinner but my bf wanted to go out so I tried to keep it light, but I still ate much more than I actually needed to. Too much eating out overall. 
  3. Dessert - None! Two days in a row, baby
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yes, since I didn't have anything

Saturday Update

Food:

• Breakfast: None
  • Lunch: 1.5/3 blueberry pancakes at a brunch place, plus some coffee with cream. Man, pancakes are cruel! I always think "maybe they won't be so bad this time" but then I always feel groggy and terrible after I eat them. I actually initially ordered the omelette, which is full of veggies and comes with a side salad, but then they told me there were snap peas in it and I was all "Ehhhh I'll get the pancakes." So close, yet so far.
  • Dinner: Bacon and ricotta tortellini with puttanesca sauce, leftover roasted veggies, and 2 little tomato/basil/mozzarella stacks
  • Dessert: Low cal ice cream + thawed blueberries 

Scores:

2. Hunger games - I'm not sure I was actually that hungry at dinnertime. It was only a few days ago, Those pancakes really destroyed me! I consciously avoided overeating the tortellini (which is very easy to do), but I still felt my fullness meter rise after the meal until I was too full later on. :/ 
  3. Dessert - Yeah, just the one
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Mainly. The dessert I chose was low sugar and had fresh fruit, but I did also have pancakes in the morning.

I did so many good things today! I FINALLY went to aikido in the AM, and everyone was like "WHOA NTB good to see you" "What've you been up to?" "Long time no see!" and other friendly things that also made me want to go "I KNOW I'M SORRYYYYYY." The class itself was ok. I always feel bad about needing a lot more instruction than the other students, but they're also much more experienced so it is what it is. At least half of them are black belts.

In the afternoon, my bf and I went to THE BATTING CAGES. I don't think I've hit a baseball since maybe middle school PE class? It was so fun! I did much better than I expected and after the first two rounds, I was at least making contact with most of the balls. I tore some skin on the side of my index finger, but that just makes it cooler. We both want to go back again soon!

In the evening we finally played a card game! I have a really large collection of tabletop games for someone who almost never actually gets to play them because I just LOVE GAMES SO MUCH. We played Trambahn, which is a card game specifically designed for 2 players, and it was pretty fun.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

towards something more enticing.

It sounds to me like the key challenge is finding something that would be enticing.  It too me quite a while to figure out which foods would be enticing enough to pull out of the freezer rather than just get take-out but once I had a pretty decent list I could make a few batches of each and then have some enticing choices waiting when the "what do you want to do for dinner?" question came up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It sounds to me like the key challenge is finding something that would be enticing.  It too me quite a while to figure out which foods would be enticing enough to pull out of the freezer rather than just get take-out but once I had a pretty decent list I could make a few batches of each and then have some enticing choices waiting when the "what do you want to do for dinner?" question came up.

Yeah, that's definitely part of it! What did you end up finding that works for you as freezer food?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Yeah, that's definitely part of it! What did you end up finding that works for you as freezer food?

For us lasagna, meatloaf, carnitas, and meatballs are pretty standard freezer fare.  Of course we also have Chinese favorites like dumplings, wonton, noodles, etc., that can go from freezer to a pot of boiling water for an almost instant meal.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

For us lasagna, meatloaf, carnitas, and meatballs are pretty standard freezer fare.  Of course we also have Chinese favorites like dumplings, wonton, noodles, etc., that can go from freezer to a pot of boiling water for an almost instant meal.

Fun fact - I've had the meatloaf recipe you shared open in a browser tab for while now. :P 

• Haha 2

Week 2 Sunday Update

Breakfast: None

Lunch: Breakfast quesadilla on corn tortillas with leftover veggies/beans and deli ham

Snack: Grocery store sushi, bites of things as I meal prepped

Dinner: An attempt at a Japanese dish called tonteki that looked nothing like what I was going for, plus rice and a Japanese spinach salad with sesame dressing

Dessert: 2 Game of Thrones oreos, more grocery store sushi because my boyfriend was eating it and I had food envy - in hindsight I should have just asked him to leave some pieces for me to eat the next day, but that totally didn't occur to me at the time 

Scores:

2. Hunger games - No - I was going strong until dinner but I 100% did not need the grocery store sushi 
  3. Dessert - Yeah, just the one
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yeah, I knew I'd want GoT oreos for the episode, so I avoided other dessert temptations earlier

I decided to get a veggie box from hungry harvest this week (they send you a box of produce rejected by grocery stores because it's ugly or surplus or whatnot) so I had a lot to work with for meal prep. I also wanted more protein variety after last week, but I probably went overboard again because I spent way too long on it. That's the problem I always end up having with these veggie boxes. I thought it might be ok if I was just roasting most of them, but it was still a lot. 

• Roasted tons of veggies - broccoli, summer squash, asparagus, and some carrots
  • Also roasted potatoes that came in the box
  • Made a tomato-cauliflower dish on the stovetop
  • Roasted chix thighs with various seasonings
  • Made spinach sesame salad to go with dinner
  • Cooked pork chops for dinner, with one chop left over 
  • Cooked rice for dinner + leftovers

I have some white fish to cook fresh tonight too. Totally unrelated to meal prep, I'm also planning to experiment with making bao this week. Soooo, I went way overboard. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out on Friday so I imagine that will mellow out the meal prep next week. 

In the afternoon, I went to a 2 hour yoga mobility workshop, which was great! I really like the instructor who does it because she'll literally climb on top of people to help them get the right stretch and it's awesome. 

• Like 4

On 5/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, NeverThatBored said:

There's this super cool lady in the class who is very good at Japanese and who I also get vague "I dislike you" vibes from, which might just be me IDK. I made extra efforts to make conversation with her, and when I was asked the question "who's the best student in the class?" I chose her, which is true (we're learning comparison right now). I'LL GET HER TO LIKE ME, DANGIT. 

Love the charm offensive! I've done that with a couple of co-workers over the years, and I think it eventually works :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Week 3 Monday Update

Breakfast: None - I'm often not hungry until 9:30 or so, and at that point I just wait until 11 and have an early lunch. It works, but since my bfast is usually a green smoothie it does mean I miss out on a lot of good freggies!

Lunch: Leftover tortellini, leftover pork chop, kale ceasar salad

Snack: Sbux sugar free iced coffee (I did Japanese hw there for 2 hours), and 1 pork bun from the grocery store (I was full from lunch until about 6:30 but it was almost time to go to my swim class, so I didn't want to eat dinner yet)

Dinner: Fish, baguette with butter + 1 leftover tomato/mozarella/basil stack, roasted veggies

Scores:

1. Lunch without a screen - done! Very reluctantly at first, but I'm actually starting to prefer my meals without a screen because I feel better when I eat slowly.
  2. Hunger games - Yes! I ate a little more at dinner than I needed but just a little bit. My weight was moving the right way in the morning. 
  3. Dessert - Got my sugar free day done for the week
  4. Overall sugar awareness? - Yeah, since I didn't have any 

Swim class was good! We still didn't get to breathing until near the end, which surprised me. The teaching assistant was like "why are you in this class?" (because I have basic swimming mechanics down already), which amused me because my boyfriend always laughs when I say I know how to swim. But even the instructor thought it - so THERE. But when I said I didn't know how to breathe, she got it and didn't act like it was so weird for me to be in the class. 

• Like 5