• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverThatBored

[NeverThatBored] She Loves A Lot of Things

Whoops - didn't post Tuesday-Thursday. I don't remember a whole lot of deets at the moment either. Tuesday was good, Wednesday was good until I got Thai food for dinner, and Thursday was not so good. That's the gist of it!

I'm about to go get my wisdom team removed AHHH

• Like 5

Ack WISDOM TEETH!!!! Why do we still have them??  Haven't we evolved past that crap yet???  I had mine out too and it was a THING, hope your process went as smoooooth as possible!!!

• Like 2

'Hokay, so. The wisdom teeth recovery seems to be on track. My jaw is super stiff and achey and I'm still sticking to softer foods, but I think the main pain is over. The main thing is that I keep getting tired really easily and feeling kind of dizzy. I did a test walk earlier and felt fine, although I was tired by the time I got back. I'm going to try my swim class tonight too. There's a lot of waiting for the other students to swim so it's not that intense. I think it should be ok. 

Eating has been "whatever's soft enough!" for the past few days and it probably still will be for a few days at least, but I'm getting into "wheee I'm recovering so I don't have to meal prep or think about nutrition at aaaaall" territory, so I need to start easing back in to at least balancing my meals a little better. There's a middle ground between full meal prep and just eating whatever. 

I'm also doing an experiment this week. My crossfit box is a delivery site for a meal service called Kettlebell Kitchen, and there's a really good discount for your first two orders, so I ordered some meals to pick up on Thursday and try. 

My tentative plan is to get back into Cfit workouts on Wednesday, assuming my energy keeps returning. 

• Like 6

What are your plans for the weekend (depending on how you feel)? Any interest in going to the OCR place we went to before?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

What are your plans for the weekend (depending on how you feel)? Any interest in going to the OCR place we went to before?

Yeah, sounds fun! I imagine I'll feel up for it by then but give me a couple of days to make sure. 

• Like 1

I haven't been posting food updates because it feels pointless right now - I'm still stuck choosing foods based on "how much will this hurt to eat?" vs. any better metric for food. Noodles, soups, yogurt, scrambled eggs, and bread/cake products are ok and almost everything still hurts. :/

I did make some vegetable soup so I'd have an easy and soft source of vegetables to eat. And last night I thought I should be eating more protein, so I got some tofu satay from a Thai place, so that was nice and soft. If this keeps up for much longer, I might pick up some tofu to make myself too. 

My impression was I'd be fine with normal foods by now so I'm very annoyed about this. I did go back to Crossfit yesterday and that seemed fine, so that's something. But I also ordered some meals from that meal delivery service I mentioned to pick up today, and I'm not actually sure how many of them I'll be able to eat?? It sounds like you can freeze them, so I guess that's always an option for the ones that seem too difficult. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'm still stuck choosing foods based on "how much will this hurt to eat?" vs. any better metric for food.

When I got my wisdom teeth out, I ate mostly jello for the first couple of days.  

For protein, have you tried getting some (non-breaded) fish.  Thinking about it, I don't recall ever seeing non-breaded fish dishes other than salmon when I lived in the US, so I don't know what kid of options you have...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

For protein, have you tried getting some (non-breaded) fish.  Thinking about it, I don't recall ever seeing non-breaded fish dishes other than salmon when I lived in the US, so I don't know what kid of options you have...

Aldi's has a seasoned tilapia (I think it's tilapia) that is really tasty! 

It's so hard with healing because people do it differently. Extra protein will definitely help. When my family got their wisdom teeth out, we got Boost extra protein for the first like day or two after. I'm sure some people will be like, "ugh, why?" But it checked all the boxes while healing.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I cooked some salmon and can sort of eat it, but even that's trickier than I'd have expected! In this case it's not so much that it's hard to chew as that all the flaky pieces bother me.

I imagine that white fish of some sort would be softer and easier than salmon though. I think local chinese/thai places might have some sort of non-breaded white fish dishes that are soft, but the the menus don't usually specify whether the fish is breaded so it's hard to know! Grocery stores certainly do sell non-breaded fish. :)

...you got me curious, so I looked up the menu at the generic American Chinese takeout place on the corner, and they have exactly one dish with fish called "sliced fish with mixed vegetables" and no description.

Just now, Sylvaa said:

Aldi's has a seasoned tilapia (I think it's tilapia) that is really tasty! 

It's so hard with healing because people do it differently. Extra protein will definitely help. When my family got their wisdom teeth out, we got Boost extra protein for the first like day or two after. I'm sure some people will be like, "ugh, why?" But it checked all the boxes while healing.

Ooh, good to know! I don't go to Aldi's that often but there's one nearby so I may check that out if I'm in pain much longer. I'm on Day 6 now so I'm just like "shouldn't this be over by now??" ugh. 3/4 teeth are healing nicely but the 4th is taking its time. 

I have nothing against bottled protein drinks! People can be so opinionated about stuff like that, but my mom has lost over 80 pounds since she was in the hospital last year, and one of the main things she's been using is protein shakes from Costco. It works for her because after years of cooking for children, she's 100% over cooking anything more complicated than eggs ever again.

I definitely could also be making some protein smoothies with seedless fruits and protein powder, but I haven't done that at all. Somehow the no straws for a week rule has also made me not want to drink smoothies, but that's nonsense so I should probably get over it. :P

• Like 3

So I woke up to a thawed freezer AGAIN. The thought of how much stuff we've had to throw away makes me so sad. Sighhhh

The temperature seems to be going back down for now, so that's something. I'm in the process of trying to salvage what thawed stuff I can. I cooked a bunch of berries down into fruit compote that I can refreeze to use on yogurt and stuff, and now I'm making some meatloaf. I have some ground turkey I can either make into meatballs or turkey sloppy joes and freeze for a future meal....assuming the freezer doesn't defrost again before we can replace it. 

• Sad 3

Challenge Summary

Aaaand apparently the challenge is over already?? They go so fast. 

I was doing well this challenge until the wisdom teeth, but that's actually a valid excuse. I'm not in pain anymore but I think it's going to be a week or two before they actually heal, so I'm still picking softer foods. My weight is actually down because eating is annoying, so I'm not doing as much of it. I'm still not getting enough vegetables because of that (I haven't been wanting breakfast, and that's the only meal where I'm happy to have a smoothie). I did make a DELICIOUS red curry butternut squash soup, so that's something. It actually reminds me a lot of this thai pumpkin soup they used to serve at the fall apple festival in my college town...I LOVED that soup and was never able to recreate it. This soup isn't as thai-y, but I bet if I used some different veggies in the base (lemongrass? Thai basil? carrots and celery?) I could make it even closer to that soup. 

I should probably stop being a baby and try meat again...but on the other hand, letting my brain believe eating is annoying might actually be benefitting me, so I'm not in a hurry. :D 

So, let's see. My three goals were:

• Sugar - I was doing so-so. Most days were fine, but I was usually having too much at least 1 day/week.
  • Lunch without a screen - I was nailing this one - I don't think I ate in front of a screen for a single day (until after the wisdom teeth, when I started ignoring this.) I really like this one and want to keep doing it. 
  • The Hunger Games - I was also doing so-so on this one. Mostly successful, but with some days where I ate because it was time or overate because restaurant food was hard to stop eating. I haven't been thinking about it in challenge terms, but I'm 100% still doing this one. Eating is annoying, so I ONLY eat when I'm clearly hungry right now.
  • It wasn't a goal, but I started experimenting with a "check in - am I relaxed?" habit before each meal, and if the answer is no I do something else for a bit until I'm wound down and ready to transition into a meal. I think it helps me eat more slowly and enjoy my meals more, so I'm quite happy with this one! 

Other Stuff

My boyfriend's away on work travel so you know what I did all weekend?? Played the ukulele all day! Hahaha. I'm really enjoying having an activity where I'm making clear progress, since a lot of my other activities *coughcrossfitcough* don't allow for that. Right now I'm working on playing Take on Me (with the kazoo, of course) and Build me up Buttercup, which are both really fun! It's really cool because the first time I experimented with Take on Me, I didn't feel like my hands would ever be able to make it work, but now I can play it! 

One challenge though - I go to bed and the songs are still running through my head! Then I can't sleep!! It happens when I study Japanese a lot too - some word or phase gets stuck in my head and I can't sleep. #weirdo

I'm also enjoying my Monday night swim class a lot! Today I got to the point where I could swim and breathe about 3 times in a row before I had to stop. The class was using those barbell things to practice and the instructor randomly took mine (JUST mine) and told me to try without it. :D I guess that's a compliment. I feel like I never have enough time to breathe so she told me to practice staying on my side for longer until I get the hang of it better. We don't have class next week, so I might try to practice that on my own. 

In conclusion, I love all the things.

Next Challenge

I want to continue what I'm doing here with food stuff as my only actual goals. I'm a bit hesitant about next challenge because I'm going to be healing for 1-2 more weeks and then traveling a lot. Buuuuut none of these food goals should actually be affected by that at all, so I should just go ahead and do it. 

I also REALLY want to start working on pullups more consistently again, but I'm not sure if making that a goal would take away from focusing on the food goals? TBD. The best thing I can do for my pullups is probably to lose weight too. 

• Like 5

For some reason website kicked me out of your thread a couple of weeks ago... :(

Sorry about wisdom teeth. But I'm sure you're ok now. I got one removed past year and the recovery was the worst part, not being able to it and such, so I hear you.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:04 AM, NeverThatBored said:

In conclusion, I love all the things.

That's the best conclusion I've read in years :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

No new challenge?

I was just on vacation for 4 days, and in a few days I'm leaving for CA for another 10 days! I can't think of any challenge goals that I can do while all that's going on. 

• Like 3

I feel like I should start a thread just so I have somewhere to post random things, even if I'm not up for challenge goals for the next couple of weeks. 

Some things:

• While recovering from wisdom teeth (and my boyfriend was away for a week) I lost some weight, dropping below 150 for the first time in ages! (I'm hanging out at 152-153 after vacation, but that's still solid).
  • My 4 day trip to New Orleans over Memorial Day was great! I didn't end up doing Murph (Crossfit workout they do every memorial day) but I did drop in at Cfit NOLA once while I was there, so of course I bought a t-shirt. 
  • At swim class last night, I actually got all the way from one end of the pool to another without stopping! I'm still kind of popping up when I breathe instead of turning properly because I feel like there's not enough time to get air otherwise, but at least I'm getting there.
  • I'll miss next week's class while I'm in CA, and there may or may not be a memorial day make up class after that, so I'm not sure if I'll even have more classes after this?? I think I'm going to sign up for some 1:1s to keep working on it, although swim classes are crazy expensive.
  • Like 5

On 6/4/2019 at 5:02 PM, NeverThatBored said:

At swim class last night, I actually got all the way from one end of the pool to another without stopping!

Congratulations!

I never managed to breath well either. Had the same sensation you have that there's no time.

• Like 2