• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CJL

CJL Starts his Journey

Hi,

I am a longtime nerd that needs support to help him lose weight.  I want to get healthy for my wife and daughter.  To that end, I am beginning my first challenge (technically I started 1 last year, but I fell off the wagon after a day or two).

My quests:

Workout: I need to be more consistent with my workouts.  During this challenge I plan on lifting 3 days each week.

Eat Right: I also need to be more consistent with my diet, so doing this challenge I am going to chart and stay at my calorie limit daily.

No Fast Food: Fast Food is my personal weakness.  So I am going to avoid all drive-throughs for the duration of this challenge.

Bonus Life Quest

Daily Cleanup: Living with a toddler is like living with a tornado and my house looks like it.  During this challenge, I want to work on the habit of spending 15 minutes each evening picking up the house after she goes to bed.

• Like 4

For me, consistency has to start with a plan and, more often than not, someone who will help you stick to that plan.

Will you plan ahead which days you will be lifting? Good idea with the food tracking.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JessRed said:

Will you plan ahead which days you will be lifting? Good idea with the food tracking.

Yes, I plan to have Mon-Wed-Fri as my lifting days.

• Like 1

Update For Apr. 15

Workout: I got my lifting in today.  Workout B from the Stronglift 5x5 program, which is Squats, Overhead Press, and Deadlift.  Everything felt pretty good.

Eat Right: Right near my goal for the day.

No Fast Food: I had a snack prepared for the ride home from work today (this is where I usually struggle) and I was not tempted to stop.

Daily Cleanup: I got the front room and dining room pretty clean this evening.

• Like 3

Great challenge, and good job getting a jump during zero week. Given that you fell off the wagon when you tried last year, have you given thought to what you will do if life gets in the way? I know that I have to make a plan for what happens if I get an injury, find a food allergy or plain old just screw up for a few days. We all screw up a few days. If you can keep doing updates like this one, that can really help. 

I'm following and ready to offer cheers and support!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update For Apr. 16

Workout: Today was a designated rest day.  I will be back at it tomorrow.

Eat Right: Taken care of.

No Fast Food: Mission accomplished.

Daily Cleanup: Picked up in the kitchen and dining room.

• Like 3

Welcome the rebellion!

On 4/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, CJL said:

Daily Cleanup: Living with a toddler is like living with a tornado and my house looks like it.  During this challenge, I want to work on the habit of spending 15 minutes each evening picking up the house after she goes to bed.

Toddlers are the best... 

>_>

is she old enough to help? If you make a game out of it now, they become better at doing it on their own when they get older.*

*This is my own experience with my own tiny monster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Welcome the rebellion!

Toddlers are the best... 

>_>

is she old enough to help? If you make a game out of it now, they become better at doing it on their own when they get older.*

*This is my own experience with my own tiny monster.

She sometimes tries to help when she sees us cleaning - especially if it involves using some kind of tool (broom, vacuum, etc).  Sometimes, she thinks the game is to dump out all of the toys that she helped to put away.  So it can be a mix.

• Like 1

Update for Apr. 17 (it's a little late)

This was a tough day to stay with my goals.  It was a really stressful day of work and then I had to take my car in to have the brakes done, which involved waiting around the mechanics shop - with about 5 fast food places in easy walking range.

Workout: I got my workout after the car was done and a quick dinner.  It was Stronglifts Workout A - Squats, Bench Press, and Rows.

Eat Right: I did follow my dietary plan and stayed at my limit.

No Fast Food: I made sure to eat my prepared snack before going to the mechanic and was able to resist walking over to eat something unhealthy.

Daily Cleanup: I got some laundry folded and put away and the front room picked up after putting the little one to bed.

• Like 2

Update for Apr. 18

Workout: It was a designated rest day.

Eat Right: I went over my calorie goal for the day, I need to get right back on that for the weekend so that 1 day doesn't become 4.

No Fast Food: None for me.

Daily Cleanup: I got more late night cleaning the kitchen and toy area done.

• Like 1

Update for Apr. 19

Workout: With no work for the day, I was able to get my lifting done in the morning.

Eat Right: I got back on track with it.

No Fast Food: We spent a large part of the day traveling to my in-laws and we stopped at Dunkin Donuts, but I only got a coffee.  Success.

Daily Cleanup: We stayed the night at my in-laws, so there was no late night cleaning opportunity.  I am declaring it a no contest.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 11:09 AM, CJL said:

Living with a toddler is like living with a tornado

This is way too true to life! And it’s even worse because it’s a tornado you have to feed and clothe and love. 

I love your goals and your motivation to be healthy for your family. Looks like you’re off to a great start! Can’t wait to see your progress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updates for Apr. 20 & 21

Workout: There were no schedule workouts over the weekend.  Back to the iron on Monday.

Eat Right: We had 2 days of Easter celebration with all of the feasting and candy that would imply, so no I did not eat right.

No Fast Food: I didn't have the time (or space in stomach) to eat fast food over the weekend.

Daily Cleanup: Out of town for the weekend means no chances (or need) to clean the house.  

• Like 2

Update for Apr. 22

Workout: I got back to it with squats, bench press, and rows.

Eat Right: I also got back to a healthy diet and stayed at a reasonable number of calories.

No Fast Food: I didn't have any today.

Daily Cleanup: I did another pickup of toys in the kitchen and books in the living while my wife was doing bedtime tonight.

• Like 2

I <3 rows. Much to the chagrin of my fellow warriors. Are you still seeing regular weight progression or have you hit plateaus?

You and the wife take turns with the bedtime or does cjlittle have a routine preference?

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I <3 rows. Much to the chagrin of my fellow warriors. Are you still seeing regular weight progression or have you hit plateaus?

You and the wife take turns with the bedtime or does cjlittle have a routine preference?

I am just getting started on Stronglifts so that weights are feeling pretty light.  My rows last night were at 80 lbs and felt really easy - for now.

We do generally alternate bed times (when our schedules allow).  I think that the little one gets to sleep faster for me than my wife, but I am probably jinxing myself and she will throw a huge fit for me tonight.

• Like 1

Update for Apr. 23

Workout: Rest day,

Eat Right: I stayed in my calorie goal range for the day.

No Fast Food: I wasn't even tempted.

Daily Cleanup: It was a long day and I didn't feel up to it after doing bedtime - back to the grind tomorrow.

• Like 3

Love your updates, I was looking for what to do in my thread and this has been a great help, thanks! Toddlers are awesome, stick with it, whatever you do now will pay you back tenfold when she's ten (yes, their stuff gets bigger, too!). Wishing I had spent more timing teaching my girl to tidy up, but better late than never, eh?

• Thanks 1

Update for Apr. 24

Workout: I got my scheduled workout of squats, overhead press, and deadlifts in.  Everything felt good.

Eat Right: I stayed on track with my eating plan for the day.

No Fast Food: This is starting to become routine for me, but I still have to make sure that I have a plan for the trip home from work.

Daily Cleanup: I got back at this today by making a sweep through the kitchen, dining room, and living room to make sure that all of the books and toys were put away for the night.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CJL said:

No Fast Food: This is starting to become routine for me, but I still have to make sure that I have a plan for the trip home from work.

Make a snack that's car friendly. If you like to cook/bake you can always make a snack bar that will hold up for a commute. You just have to not eat it before the ride home.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CJL said:

I have a bag of trail mix in the car for the ride home, it kills the traffic hangries.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Make a snack that's car friendly. If you like to cook/bake you can always make a snack bar that will hold up for a commute. You just have to not eat it before the ride home.

I have been having a protein shake and some fruit on the way home.  It's filling, tastes good, and is pretty easy to eat in the car.

• Like 2