Snarky Is Happy to Be Here

Cooking goal update!

For this challenge, my seven dishes were

1. Ground beef , mushroom sauce, and potatoes
  2. pepper lime chicken, and salads
  3. Egg roll in  a bowl
  4.  Veggies and chicken  pasta
  5. Fish and veggies
  6. grilled chicken, fruit salad, (tonight)
  7. Turkey burgers with balsamic onions and mushrooms and side of veggies (tomorrow)

I’m extra-excited to make the turkey burgers tomorrow, i found a recipe that could be delicious!

I like finding recipes and trying them out. I like deciding what to add the recipe, what sides to make with the main dish. And for the most part, everyone leaves me alone and I can think while I cook. I’ll keep track this final week of the challenge, and see if I can beat it during the next challenge!

I’m going to think about my goals for the next challenge. I love planning ahead!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ladyofthebog said:

man, now that i think about it, i bet my portions are wonky too! my husbands 6'5 and lifts heavy weights and i'll often portion us out the same!!!

It’s so easy to just forget a man that size burns 3000 calories by like...existing lol

• Like 2

I am going to make this next week challenge-free and just enjoy being here. Which is basically what I’ve done this whole challenge, but now I’m doing it officially, so there’s less guilt :D

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Okay so the turkey burgers were a big hit! I put them together with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and garlic. 5 minutes on each side and they turned out fine! But I think they would do well with different seasonings... Any suggestions?

I made a balsamic glaze for caramelized mushrooms and onions, and it tasted so good! Especially with blue cheese crumbles. So it was okay that the turkey burgers were a little bland, but man, I wish I had made ground beef patties instead because that would've been AMAZING.

:D

I've been doing all the cooking for the last week, and I'm still enjoying it, but I'm ready for a night off! Tomorrow we're having leftovers! YAY!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Okay so the turkey burgers were a big hit! I put them together with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and garlic. 5 minutes on each side and they turned out fine! But I think they would do well with different seasonings... Any suggestions?

I make some lovely turkey meatballs that are seasoned with italian herbs, parmesan and chilli flakes. 

Mmmmmmmmmm

• Like 2

5 hours ago, deftona said:

I make some lovely turkey meatballs that are seasoned with italian herbs, parmesan and chilli flakes. 

Mmmmmmmmmm

Oooh nice! Thank you

• Like 1

Next week is my last story time. I am actually just assisting the new person who is taking storytime over from me, and I'm really glad. It's a nice transition.  Then I will be done FOREVER.

For the last five days I've been taking a half dose of inositol. And it's been working really well. I've noticed that endless hunger is gone, and I've started losing weight. What is inositol? Vitamin B8. 

I haven't worked in a while. I've done crafts, read books, and just sat on my bed looking through the open window and feeling the breeze come in. I also haven't cooked a damn thing this week. It's been really nice to have a few days off and just be.  I have taken some notes about future challenges, and I'm pretty excited. It's nothing exciting, I haven't come up with anything really beautiful, inspiring, or even note-worthy. But I feel like I'm really paying attention to my needs, and not thinking about what other people will think, and that's a huge, huge step forward for me. :)

• Like 6

Ending out the challenge with COOKING!

Tonight Mom and I made greek sandwiches. Lemon, greek yogurt, olives, cucumber, dill, parsley, olives, and some bell pepper for extra crunch all stirred together and thrown on a flat bread and it made a delicious sandwich.  Tomorrow we're throwing some more chicken in a marinade and making a pasta salad with similar flavors in there (no yogurt, more lemon) 

What would I have done differently in tonight's dinner? Hmmmm. I think if we had baked flatbread instead of using the store bought, it would've been better. We'll definitely bake bread next time. 

• Like 3

End of Challenge Report!

*Trumpets Blaring*

Follow my workout schedule.

I completely abandoned my workout schedule. a month ago, I LOVED it, and this month, the thought of working out brought total anxiety. I think it needs to be taken off the challenge to relieve the perceived pressure that it has to count for something. 

cook more meals. I’m aiming for seven dinners this challenge. 

SUCCESS! I cooked 9 meals in total during this challenge. I'm really happy with this one. I actually enjoy cooking- not everyday, but enough that I won't go back to a diet of prepared/processed meals again.

Write my morning gratitudes 

I stopped doing this, and I'm going to start again. Writing down three things I'm grateful for didn't make everything better, but helped me notice the things that were good. And most of the time it was silly stuff like "My pillow is extra fluffy and cosy" or "Coffeeeeeeeeee is good" So many fluffy pillow days. So the days that are hard, it would be nice to spend a moment noticing something good. 

Go to my favorite park and hit the trails once a week. 

Weather and wellness were not in my favor. And it added a level of stress to have something enjoyable as this be a challenge. I realized that walking through the woods is my escape from all the requirements and expectations, and making it a challenge item changed that.

So it's funny, but I'm learning that some things are overwhelming as challenge goals, but doable on their own. Exercise is definitely in that category. When I don't formalize it, exercise becomes like a daily meditation. I can work out, relax, and I feel really good afterwards. But the moment I feel like it has to count towards something or be reported, I struggle to even get it done.  I get overwhelmed very easily. I notice this in other areas of my life, and it's definitely something I need to reflect on and deal with. 

I also learned that I'm pretty good at specific goals like "Cook this many meals" But that I also feel a little tired of cooking. I think a big part of that was looking for new recipes and how time consuming it was to learn new recipes. I have a couple recipes that are old familiar favorites, so I'd like to increase THAT menu, so I get to the point where I'm cooking easy favorites, and challenging myself with more fiddly dishes when I feel like cooking is becoming a rut.

Finally, this challenge showed me that progress isn't really always moving forward. There's a lot of falling on one's ass, losing the path, going backwards. There's real formula for living life in a way that I'll feel successful. It's this messy process of trial, error, and accepting those errors and moving in what is hopefully a forward direction. There's no "right" way to live or do things, and I'm going to be changing as this goes along, so maybe something that worked really well last year will be really horrible for me this year. And that's okay. 

• Like 4