• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

squeakyvalkyrie

squeakyvalkyrie seeks adventure

Recommended Posts

On 4/19/2019 at 7:26 AM, squeakyvalkyrie said:

 

Yes, there are three roses across the top. 

Oh wow! I can't believe I completely missed those! Excellent tattoo, by the way!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another amazing weekend in the books. D&D with my bestie, her hubby and some other friends all day Saturday. My gnome ranger made a dragon that blew weed smoke to subdue a group of orcs and a ogre we had to fight, leading to shenanigans. It was awesome and perfect for 420. I love that our DM just rolls with whatever nonsense we come up with. Sunday was a trip to Santa Cruz with Kermit to hit our favorite spots for our anniversary. We were both kinda peopled out midway through the day, so we headed home. He played some video games and I worked in the garden. Then we finally got around to watching the first episode of GoT. Tonight we should be able to get all caught up.

 

Workout this morning was good, it is nice to actually look forward to my workouts. I can feel myself getting stronger and am finally beginning to see a difference in the mirror, which is really encouraging. We skipped out on IF Saturday night and Sunday morning, but jumped back in last night. Flexibility with it is the key to success for us. I did get some shield painting done and some meditation on Friday. And hour laying still and staring at the ceiling while getting tattoo'd counts! I also substituted lettuce for the tortilla in my chicken tacos, so for week 0 I'm doing pretty good, just one workout skipped. Next for the shield is highlighting and shading. I'm hoping to make some serious progress tonight.

godwin shield 5.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF has become second nature. I don't even consider food before lunch anymore, just copious amounts of tea. My body keeps looking better and better, so I'm sticking with this one. No meditation yesterday, I focused hard on getting shield painting done and catching up on GoT. I have quite a bit I want to get done before my cousin comes at the end of next month and not working on that until this shield is done is spurring me onward! I think I've got the stained glass look pretty nailed down, though I might make the centers lighter, especially in the yellow areas. I still need to do the red.

1805356111_godwinshield6.jpg.fc203243747249c71a29bf2a5621b2aa.jpg

 

My hips are still sore, I need to add yoga to my weekends to help from getting so tight. I feel better after my session this morning. We have the very rare plan free weekend this weekend, so there will be time. I'm planning on spending a lot of time in the garden and hopefully sealing the shield. I think I can get it done in the next couple of days. The back and the edging are the time consuming parts after the painting is done and those are already complete on this one.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

IF has become second nature.

 

The definition of successfully forming a new habit, summed up in five little words. Impressive!

 

I have off and on debated trying out IF, and your success makes me curious. What were the biggest challenges for you when you were getting started?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I have off and on debated trying out IF, and your success makes me curious. What were the biggest challenges for you when you were getting started?

 I started off doing 22 hour fasts on Fridays, which was awful. I was so hangry by the time the fast was over it was bad for everyone. So I switched to 16:8, only eating between 11 and 7. Mostly, that just means skipping breakfast, and most days I don't eat until 11:30 because that is when my lunch break is. I think the biggest challenge is accepting that I am going to be hungry and that it is ok. It has been a lot of reworking my relationship with food, it is fuel, not a mood enhancer. Just because I'm hungry doesn't mean I need to let my attitude change. I also drink a lot more tea and water than I used to, just to keep my stomach from complaining too much. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost totally blew my fast this morning. I stopped at the gas station and got a sleeve of donuts and almost opened them before I realized that I can't have those, I'm fasting! So they are in my purse waiting for the drive home. Anniversary dinner last night at our favorite prime rib place, so no meditation or shield painting. We finished just in time to stay in our fasting window and, for the first time, didn't have cocktails with dinner. No calories after 7pm has had the unintentional consequence of significantly curbing our drinking. We are generally barely done with dinner by then, so evening cocktails have kinda stopped. I'm sure it is contributing to the weight loss.

 

Workout this morning went well, even though it was super hot in the house. When the house got painted, the crew didn't take care with the windows, and painted them shut. So we've got to get out this weekend and cut through the paint to get them so we can open them. No air movement in half the house is ridiculous.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

We finished just in time to stay in our fasting window and, for the first time, didn't have cocktails with dinner. No calories after 7pm has had the unintentional consequence of significantly curbing our drinking. We are generally barely done with dinner by then, so evening cocktails have kinda stopped. I'm sure it is contributing to the weight loss.

 

It sure will. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, second only to fat which has 9 kcal/g.  When you think that sugar only has 4 kcal/g then it becomes clear why alcohol has such an impact on weight, and cocktails often have sugar in them too in the form of fruit juice.  Don’t be fooled into thinking that the sugar in fruit juice is ok because it’s fructose either.  Fructose is actually the form of sugar that is really bad for us, it’s just that it’s normally bound up with fibre (when we eat fruit) which slows and reduces how much it is absorbed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

 

It sure will. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, second only to fat which has 9 kcal/g.

 

Alcohol also screws with the metabolism and the body's priorities when it comes to digesting and burning the calories we consume, so there are more effects and more lasting ones, than merely the extra calories.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meditated yesterday while waiting for the printer to finish at work, it was nice to have some calm in the middle of my day. Kept up with IF even with donuts tempting me. Kermit is getting a new tattoo this evening, so I'll have the house to myself. I think I'm going to make zoodle lasagna for my carb replacement this week. I like having Thursdays to myself to fold laundry and watch Doctor Who. Hopefully I can also get the shield finished. I didn't work on it last night, we went grocery shopping.

 

Yoga was good this morning. My hips are still in protest. I think I'm going to switch my jump squats to regular squats. I don't think my form is good enough for jumping yet. Not doing the leg lowers definitely helped, but not quite enough. My Pa had to have both of his hips replaced before he turned 60, so there is some fear of this being more serious than just working out wrong. My doctor diagnosed me with hip bursitis, but I may need to go back in for a re-evaluation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

Kept up with IF even with donuts tempting me.

 

I was also tempted by donuts at work this morning. You resisted them better than I did...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

 

I was also tempted by donuts at work this morning. You resisted them better than I did...

 

I only ate two of the six yesterday, so the temptation continues. And with my jackass coworkers continuing to subtly suggest shit going wrong is my fault instead of just taking responsibility or facing the reality of how behind schedule we are, the temptation grows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

 

I only ate two of the six yesterday, so the temptation continues. And with my jackass coworkers continuing to subtly suggest shit going wrong is my fault instead of just taking responsibility or facing the reality of how behind schedule we are, the temptation grows.

 

Their lack of competence and common sense must not be allowed to invade your life outside of work, by increasing donut temptations! They do not deserve that kind of power.

 

On a more serious note, having been way behind schedule on big projects plagued by incompetent sidekicks, I hope it gets better soon, so you don't have to deal with the extra stress! A good support system outside your work environment makes all the difference for staying mentally healthy in this kind of situation. We're here for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scalyfreak said:

 

Their lack of competence and common sense must not be allowed to invade your life outside of work, by increasing donut temptations! They do not deserve that kind of power.

 

On a more serious note, having been way behind schedule on big projects plagued by incompetent sidekicks, I hope it gets better soon, so you don't have to deal with the extra stress! A good support system outside your work environment makes all the difference for staying mentally healthy in this kind of situation. We're here for you!

Thanks for the reminder. I'm here to get paid, not to derail my actual life. It is hard to separate sometimes. Being behind schedule is nothing I caused or can help fix, that is a problem outside of most of our control. Being perpetually understaffed and having the deadlines moved on us was not helpful. I distracted myself with more tea and a little walk. Only an hour and a half until lunch!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

squeakyvalkyrie is brought to you today by Rockstar Recovery. Some friends had extra tickets to see Endgame last night. So instead of going to bed like responsible adults, we drove down and watched it with the biggest Marvel nerds we know. Two hours of sleep just isn't enough. Also, we found out that not sleeping through the fasting time makes the hunger so big! I skipped my workout this morning, but it is my short day at work, so hopefully I will find the motivation to do it when I get home. Right now, I'm focused on just getting though work.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a complete wash. No workout or any other goals, except keeping to IF Protocall. I should do my workout this morning, finish my shield and make a list of projects I want to get done this weekend, but I have no motivation. 

 

Went to my new doctor yesterday, she confirmed bursitis in my hips and was concerned about the popping. She told me to baby them and not do anything that makes them hurt. But everything makes them hurt... I feel like my eventual weight lifting and parkour goal are off the table now, that I'm broken and all this training has been for nothing.

 

Maybe I just need more sleep, but that isn't going to happen right now. I think I'll take a hot bath and read more of Level Up Your Life. Steve always makes me feel like I can accomplish anything. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that, but you shouldn’t feel that everything you’ve done is wasted.  Bursitis usually goes away after a few weeks and the benefits of what you’ve done so far will carry over.  Believe me, I’ve been laid up with injury for 5 years, walked back into the gym and was able to knock out a body weight deadlift after just a couple of sessions.  Xx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

 

Went to my new doctor yesterday, she confirmed bursitis in my hips and was concerned about the popping. She told me to baby them and not do anything that makes them hurt. But everything makes them hurt... I feel like my eventual weight lifting and parkour goal are off the table now, that I'm broken and all this training has been for nothing.

 

You're not broken, you're injured, and injuries heal. The work you have done until now will help you heal, it was not for nothing.

 

With the obligatory pep talk out of the way...

 

It's perfectly normal to feel discouraged, and the easiest way to get past that phase is to acknowledge the feelings of hopelessness, face them head on, and wallow for a little bit. When I almost dislocated my knee and had to stop lifting anything leg related for a couple of months while it healed, I had to spend a few days wallowing in ice cream and red wine before I could even begin to face the rehab. Feeling down is normal, and it's perfectly okay. It's only a problem if you stay there and don't move on. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

You're not broken, you're injured, and injuries heal. The work you have done until now will help you heal, it was not for nothing.

I'll second that. :)

 

I have no clue how long that that injury takes to heal, but how about switching the BW workout for stretches or walks (or whatever doesn't make them hurt) for the rest of the challenge and tackle the workouts again during the next? If movement is that bad for your hip right now you could even take a completely different healthy habit to build - your challenge is entirely yours to design. That way you'll still have something to focus on and keep your motivation up. And there's also your other goals, don't let yourself get distracted because there's one thing you cannot do right now - there's no rush, you can always come back to your exercises. ;) Just continue your quest a little more each day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. We broke fast early today and got some donuts. I'll keep up with IF if nothing else. Upper body strength work is still an option too. There is concern that the bursitis is a symptom of hip dysplasia, meaning the socket of my hip joint is too shallow and that is why it pops and aches. So I'll try and baby it and see if that helps. The depression is real though, hoping sunshine and yardwork help me out of this funk.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half-assed my workout this morning, but I did something. Still doing IF. Tried connecting with friends on Facebook, but they were all just posting GoT reactions/spoilers. Which fucking sucks since we can't watch it until Mondays. So I deleted the app from my phone. Depression is full force, I just want to disappear into the woods for a bit, but instead I'm at work. I'm going to work on fleshing out my Epic Quest today to remind myself that getting into shape is just a small part of who I want to be. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

 I'm going to work on fleshing out my Epic Quest today to remind myself that getting into shape is just a small part of who I want to be.  

 

Quoting this in the hopes that will help me remember it as well. Thanks for the reminder! :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

Half-assed my workout this morning, but I did something. Still doing IF. Tried connecting with friends on Facebook, but they were all just posting GoT reactions/spoilers. Which fucking sucks since we can't watch it until Mondays. So I deleted the app from my phone. Depression is full force, I just want to disappear into the woods for a bit, but instead I'm at work. I'm going to work on fleshing out my Epic Quest today to remind myself that getting into shape is just a small part of who I want to be. 

How are you doing?

 

You okay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now