Act VII - Harriet Scouts the Lands Beyond the Fortress

RIGHT! I ATE SOME SUGAR AND NOW I FEEL TERRIBLE INSTEAD OF DEATH. That's an improvement! Damnit this was meant to be the year of energy. I AM DOING SO MUCH EXERCISE where's my energies??????? Why am I so tired always? Gaaaaaahhhhh. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cc386824161343632

8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Which internet shoutings do you listen to? 

Nia Shanks

Alan Thrall

The Buff Dudes

Meg Squats

Bodybuilding.com as starting points for form research

NerdFitness blog

These forums

Stumptuous.com

Not necessarily in that order.

T-fitness looks like it might have some useful info here and there, if the site layout and color scheme would please stop distracting me by looking like a giant mansplaining machine :P 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Is there any benefit to e.g. walking out with a higher weight that you can squat, then putting it back, no rep? Or is that bosu ball nonsense? If so, how do you know? Which internet shoutings do you listen to? 

This is a maybe... some say it's good, some say bad... either way there is no scientific evidence to go either way.

I've never bothered... the only time I think I would do it is if I was having trouble walking weights out or unracking a bench press... having said that, Jen Thompson uses like 130% 1RM for bench press holds and she swears it has helped...

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Harriet said:

https://examine.com/nutrition/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/category/muscle-gain/training-muscle-gain/

https://bretcontreras.com/articles/

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fitness/lift-heavy-things/

https://www.muscleforlife.com/category/building-muscle/

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/category/articles/

https://mennohenselmans.com/articles/

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/articles/exercise

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/category/strength-training/

https://legionathletics.com/category/building-muscle/

http://www.stephanguyenet.com

I could probably keep going for a while.... ;)

And while there is loads of chaff on t-nation, some of the authors are accredited academics with good data behind their recommendations; I also respect that their blog will regularly post directly opposing opinions (because it's important to challenge conclusions and assumptions!). I think it's a good springboard to go look for more research/commentary.

Harriet, are you using creatine? It may be a good/cheap/easy addition to your programming, and could possibly help with energy!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Defining said:

And while there is loads of chaff on t-nation, some of the authors are accredited academics with good data behind their recommendations; I also respect that their blog will regularly post directly opposing opinions (because it's important to challenge conclusions and assumptions!).

It is important, and that definitely raises my opinion of them. I will add t-nation, and most of your list, to my growing pile of sites to check out in detail when I have time. :) 

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Mostly PL specific for me:

Barbell Medicine and Greg Nuckols (research and science orientated)

Mike Tuscherer (prolly badly misspelled.., he's at RTS) (science + experience)

EliteFTS (less science, more experience)

• Like 2

Thank you all. That is a pretty good list of things to look at. 

3 hours ago, Defining said:

Harriet, are you using creatine? It may be a good/cheap/easy addition to your programming, and could possibly help with energy!

I have some in the cupboard but never took it consistently. I'll give a try. I would give anything a try at this point. 

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

I have some in the cupboard but never took it consistently. I'll give a try. I would give anything a try at this point. 

In that case, I suggest seeing a doctor. Chronic exhaustion is something you should have investigated, if nothing else to rule things out.

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

T-Nation is full of dipshittery and it gives me internet cancer.

John Rusin (author) is also full of dipshittery. His instagram is only one step away from squatting on a bosu ball. I want to slap him.... hard.

Genuinely curious, and don't necessarily disagree, but why? 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Genuinely curious, and don't necessarily disagree, but why? 

Tnation is a bit of a newbie trap... there is some good info, but a fair bit of crap. Unless you have a functioning bullshit detector, it can be hard to find the gems. EliteFTS uses a similar system of 'guest' authors BUT has a more rigorous screening process (ie: actual high level experts or high level competitors).

As far as Rusin... I'm sure he's a super smart dude but he is soooo focused on corrective exercises (there is not much research to suggest that corrective exercise or movement screening does any better than just practicing the movements you're trying to get better at... but it's flashy and different and that SELLS)...

I also don't trust any "strength and conditioning coach of the world's elite athletes" that squats as badly as he does, I also don't trust "experts" that are weaker than I am...

This is just my opinion and I expect that a lot of people will disagree...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blocky said:

Mostly PL specific for me:

Barbell Medicine and Greg Nuckols (research and science orientated)

Mike Tuscherer (prolly badly misspelled.., he's at RTS) (science + experience)

EliteFTS (less science, more experience)

I was noodling this around and realised that one of the reasons that these guys stick out as quality (to me at least) is the fact that they give away 90% of their knowledges for free. They do sell coaching and programs (but if you read all of their stuff, you can build the programs anyway). In fact, RTS has free logging software (that can do some really amazing stuff to guide your training) and a free recovery tracking tool.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

In that case, I suggest seeing a doctor. Chronic exhaustion is something you should have investigated, if nothing else to rule things out.

I have. Admittedly it was probably 15 years ago. Anyway, the answer was "we have no idea what causes it, maybe it's just your depression, there's nothing for it. I could diagnose you with chronic fatigue, but I won't because people with that label make excuses and give up". Anyway, I also mentioned it to a different, German doctor a few years back and got some blood tests. Nothing obviously wrong. I guess the chronic sinus problems might be related, but guess what, I've seen multiple doctors and tried different treatments and they can't do anything about that, either. Lifting, walking, and the long hard work of coping with the depression and anxiety are the only things that have helped. Oh, and fixing my sleep helped a bit, too. Anyway, my plan is to keep smashing my problems with lifting and taekwondo. 

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, Harriet said:

I have. Admittedly it was probably 15 years ago. Anyway, the answer was "we have no idea what causes it, maybe it's just your depression, there's nothing for it. I could diagnose you with chronic fatigue, but I won't because people with that label make excuses and give up".

Fuck that doctor with a dull and rusty fork.

Depression causes lack of energy. Depression causes lethargy. Neither one can be detected by a blood test. Any doctor worth the title should know this, and give enough of a shit about your overall well-being to look beyond the whatever was their first impulse that failed to explain things, and be willing to explore alternatives. If they're not, fuck them with the above-mentioned fork, and see another doctor.

Context for my outburst: When I was in my early twenties, a dermatologist (I use this term VERY loosely) told me that my eczema was caused by stress, and that I needed to learn to relax more. Needles to say, this did not help. It took until my late thirties, and another doctor in another country, for an accurate diagnosis and treatment that actually helped.

My suggestion here is to see a different doctor. One who knows nothing about your previous diagnoses and who actually cares. If you suspect the main issue is depression or anxiety, see a doctor who specializes in that field. Mental health issues are important and deserve the same care as any physical health issue, and therapy really does help, as long as you go into it with the right mindset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

My suggestion here is to see a different doctor. One who knows nothing about your previous diagnoses and who actually cares. If you suspect the main issue is depression or anxiety, see a doctor who specializes in that field. Mental health issues are important and deserve the same care as any physical health issue, and therapy really does help, as long as you go into it with the right mindset.

Maybe I will give the doctors another shot, when I get back to Germany. I do have a therapist, so that's something. Talk doesn't work without practice, though, and when you're tired and unmotivated you don't necessarily want to do the things that will help. So it's slow. But these challenges are helping me be a bit braver and try more things, which is the best treatment.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Context for my outburst: When I was in my early twenties, a dermatologist (I use this term VERY loosely) told me that my eczema was caused by stress, and that I needed to learn to relax more. Needles to say, this did not help. It took until my late thirties, and another doctor in another country, for an accurate diagnosis and treatment that actually helped.

Hmph. I mean, I can imagine stress could make things worse, but didn't they have a duty to rule out other causes? 

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Maybe I will give the doctors another shot, when I get back to Germany. I do have a therapist, so that's something. Talk doesn't work without practice, though, and when you're tired and unmotivated you don't necessarily want to do the things that will help. So it's slow. But these challenges are helping me be a bit braver and try more things, which is the best treatment.

Mental health issues are difficult, because our brains are unintentionally working against us whenever we try to get better. It's very frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Hmph. I mean, I can imagine stress could make things worse, but didn't they have a duty to rule out other causes? 

This particular doctor apparently did not believe so.

They made me so angry that Husband needed over a year to convince me to see a new dermatologist in my new country, once I had moved here. In hindsight, I am very glad I listened to him, because the eczema is now under control. :) 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Check out rhodiola as well then, it could help and I don't believe that it has many drug interactions. The two of them together aren't likely to do any damage, at any rate - and you won't know if they'll help until you give it a shot. ;)

14 minutes ago, Defining said:

Check out rhodiola as well then, it could help and I don't believe that it has many drug interactions. The two of them together aren't likely to do any damage, at any rate - and you won't know if they'll help until you give it a shot. ;)

Thank you, I have never heard of this and it is most interesting. 

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

Consider the possibility you might not have enough Vitamin D as well. Lack of that particular one leads to constant fatigue and either depression or anxiety, depending on what the naturally tends towards.

And see another doctor. :) 

I recently started taking extra vitamin D. Plus fish oil because I hate fish. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I recently started taking extra vitamin D. Plus fish oil because I hate fish. 

I started to take both a couple of months ago. About a month later, my anxiety started to calm down, and I firmly believe that is not a coincidence. :) 

• Like 1

Am trying to make eclairs. The choux pastry was a little too thin, and didn't hold its shape when I attempted to pipe it. Also, apparently piping is an actual skill, and piping bags may have a purpose that recycled plastic bags from the produce section of the grocery market may not be able to fulfil. And also, trays have more space for piping than casserole dishes. Unfortunately, we only have dishes. And the big dish is in use: making slow cooked chicken legs with prunes, fresh ginger, pomegranate molasses, little potatoes and fresh oregano. Also, the creme patissiere? patisserie? turned out okay but I'm not sure if I overcooked it. Who can say? Neither the pastry nor the creme pat tastes particularly sweet. I assume some chocolate on the top will help with this. Eclairs are supposed to taste a little eggy, right? 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

And the big dish is in use: making slow cooked chicken legs with prunes, fresh ginger, pomegranate molasses, little potatoes and fresh oregano.

When you are not distracted by the eclairs, would you mind sharing this recipe? This sounds amazing.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

When you are not distracted by the eclairs, would you mind sharing this recipe? This sounds amazing.

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/chicken-with-potatoes-prunes-and-pomegranate-molasses-shop

It's super easy. You basically throw everything in and cook. Small amount of chopping, no stirring or anything.