• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood: Waverider

Here's to another round out in the surf looking for swells and catching the waves I can ride toward my fitness goal of shedding all this excess body fat.  Last challenge worked reasonably well, so let's do more of that.

I aim to lose 10 lbs over the next five weeks.  Starting weight for this challenge is 237.2 lbs.  I'm lasering in on that singular outcome because it's all I care about physically right now.  My main motivation is that I need to have my ID photo retaken in mid-June and I don't want to be face-fat in it.  Plus I'm refusing to shave my beard this year (I normally go clean-shaven for spring and summer [unless my hockey team makes the playoffs]) until I get back under 220 lbs.

Goals are the same three things I'm always trying to pin down:

1. Eat:  still counting calories; daily target set to 8 kcal per pound of bodyweight (1900 kcal per day to start).  This target will be revised every two weeks to reflect changes.  I'm not setting any quality standards, but the guiding principles of nutrition should help me improve my intake.  Generally I'll be 80% paleo-ish.  Last challenge I was consistently low with sporadic junky highs.  I'll try to smooth things out this time by eating up to my daily targets with better quality foods.
  2. Move:  about the only thing that seems to be working for me right now is to walk on the treadmill in the interval between arriving home from work and sitting down to family dinner.  I'm going to try and keep that going three times per week (M-W-F).  The bodyweight strength/stretching stuff just isn't happening, so I'm not going to push it.  If I do manage to get any random exercise on T-Th then I'll just consider it a bonus.  I won't program for it, but I also want to keep getting back in somewhat of a decent playing shape for when roller hockey starts back up, and T-Th will be the best opportunities to fit in some skating and stick-and-puck.
  3. Sleep:  if I get 7-1/2 hours per night then I'm considering that a win.

I took the last few days off to relax, recover, and enjoy some caloric indulgences; but now I'm ready to start plugging away again with this Week Zero.  Surf's up!

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Shello said:

Here's to some smooth sailing this challenge!

And also with you. :)

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You know, you could just refuse to shave ever again.

I could refuse to do lots of things. :D  But I actually like to clear it all off every now and then.  I usually go bearded for autumn and winter, then I take it off for spring and summer.  In 2015 it came off for about three weeks, then the NHL playoffs started and the Blackhawks made the run all the way to the Stanley Cup final, which is why I wore it through June that year.  It felt extra good to shave that year.

2 hours ago, Terah said:

I'm not a big fan of beards, so here is hoping you get below 220 soon :D

Maybe if I promise to bring back the progress pics after 220 I can get @deftona on board with the beardlessness, too. ;)  Y'all can call it the DFG Clean-cut Quads & Calves summit.

• Like 3

W0D2 - A bit of liberty with this one, but I need a good start to the challenge so I'm okay with it.  Food was a little odd.  Owing to the weekend's eccentricity and indulgences I wasn't hungry at all for most of Monday.  Plus I didn't have any leftovers from the night before to take for lunch, so I was planning to fast until dinner.  Around lunchtime I got snackish and ate a couple packages of PB-cheese crackers (440 kcal, 10g protein), and that was sufficient for the remainder of my work day.  Once home I made a small plate of nachos to snack on while I waited for MFG to get home with dinner from McDonalds.  She's still recovering from a long weekend camping trip with Bubbles' AHG troop, so the household isn't quite running smoothly again yet.  I ate two Mcdoubles and then headed off to band practice.  When I got home from that I still had around 400 kcal on the day, so I finished off the rest of the ice cream from Sunday night.  That went into my food journal as 2 servings regardless of how much was actually in the container. :D  And that brought the day up to 1864.

MFG had to leave her van at the campground because it rained so hard all day Saturday that it flooded all the drainage systems and prevented her from getting out.  I let her have my car yesterday, which required a lot of shuttling different groups to and fro because Monday is her big co-op day, plus they had a play-date with friend family who's about to leave for six weeks.  By the time I got home from work I had just enough time to cook some chicken thighs that needed cooking (for today's lunch/dinner) and do all the dishes.  The family arrived just about then, so we ate our drive-thru dinner quickly before heading out to our various obligations.  MFG and Bubbles got a ride to and from their troop meeting, leaving me with the car so I could haul my gear (and the boys) to church for band practice.  We're doing a night of worship on Wednesday night, so it was a much bigger set and practice ran nearly three hours.  My feet were ready to either die or kill me by the end, and I figure if I felt that terrible after then it must've counted for some kind of exercise. :lol:

Due to getting home from practice so late I didn't notice the clock advancing so quickly while I was unwinding at my computer.  It was just shy of midnight when I checked on things (thinking it was probably around 10:30), so I packed up and hit the hay.  I snoozed my alarm this morning a few times to get a full 7.5 hours in bed and was only marginally late for work. :)

Today is starting weird, too.  I'm definitely not running at full speed yet for this challenge, but we'll get there.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

My feet were ready to either die or kill me by the end, and I figure if I felt that terrible after then it must've counted for some kind of exercise. :lol:

I follow this kind of reasoning too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Maybe if I promise to bring back the progress pics after 220 I can get @deftona on board with the beardlessness, too.

NEVER!*

* she may be swayed with a promise of the return of The Shorts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I follow this kind of reasoning too!

It's just logical.  No pain, no gain; therefore pain = gain.  :D

18 hours ago, deftona said:

NEVER!*

* she may be swayed with a promise of the return of The Shorts. 

I regret that I only got to wear these in a progress pic one time.

qfbSs87.jpg

14 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Happy Challenge!

Thanks!  Same to you, brother.

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

While I agree with everything after the comma, the first part is just....

1MKEryI.jpg

• Like 3

W0D3 - Tuesday was a fine day.  I was able to hit my targets with a bit less liberty.  I drove thru McD's for breakfast, and I'm not entirely sure that they got my order right: I couldn't tell if my drink was DDP or just regular DP.  I counted it as regular in MFP, so if it was in fact Diet then I had a slightly larger deficit yesterday. :)  For lunch I brought one of the baked chicken thighs I made the night before, but that was all that came from home.  I plus-ed it up with a bag of Cheetos and an ice-cream sandwich. :lol:  That was sufficient for the work day, then I went home to MFG's dinner of the rest of the leftover chicken with grilled asparagus and steamed broccoli.  I had a hundred kcal or so to spare after dinner, so I ate an ounce of cheese to close the day at 1872 calories.

After dinner I took the whole family to the cinema to finally watch Captain Marvel.  I liked it a lot, and not just for the USAF references and the 90s callbacks.  It wasn't without issues (pacing and character development being the biggest problems) but I still enjoyed it, and that was a pleasant surprise since the trailer fell kinda flat for me.  The last thing I saw Annette Bening in was The American President, ironically released in 1995 (when CM was set, also when I graduated high school), so seeing her in this was quite a reality check.  I guess we're all 24 years older now.  Anyway, the movie took up the entire evening, and once I got home all I did was play a little Rocket League then head up to bed for a full night's sleep.

There's a moment in riding the surf where you have to paddle like crazy at the top of a swell in order to catch the crest and start falling down the face of the breaker.  Once you've caught it the wave takes over and does the rest of the work.  The way the rest of this week is shaping up--all the Easter week stuff happening at church--I probably will not find that moment until next Monday, but I expect this current swell to be a bomb ride when I finally catch it.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I liked the buddy cop dynamic between Danvers and Fury.

I'd be up for more of that, but I really want a movie with Carol and Maria Rambeau.

W0D4 - Wednesday was a good day.  Breakfast was another McMuffin, but this time they definitely got the DDP right.  Lunch was a substantial bowl with the last baked chicken thigh on a big bed of white rice smothered in the leftover gravy from Saturday's Loco Moco and generously garnished with scallions.  A big mid-day meal helped keep me from getting hungry (who knew?) again until dinner, for which MFG made Italian sausage, grilled zucchini, and spaghetti marinara.  I measured out a healthy portion then added a string cheese and a few mixed nuts to bring the day all the way up to 1892 kcal.

My church put on a Night of Worship for Easter Week, and I was asked to play guitar.  That left absolutely no time after I got home from work--I had to scarf my dinner quick and then get to the service.  I played for over an hour and a half, so I'm counting that as my 30 minutes of movement for the day.  When I got back home I did some work on my new refurbished PC that arrived from ebay, mostly checking benchmarks and seeing what components I'll need to upgrade it to a useable state.  Once I had a good sense of that I played a few matches of Rocket League and then headed up to bed with MFG at 10.  I wasn't sleepy, so I watched Netflix for a while until my eyes got heavy.  I might not have quite gotten my full allotment of sleep, but it was close enough. :D

I'm going to have to focus on cutting caffeine again.  It keeps sneaking back in.

• Like 5

On 4/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, DrFeelgood said:

finally watch Captain Marvel

I want to see that one too! Hopefully it's still in the cinemas next week when SH and I have an evening without kids :D

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 2:19 AM, Terah said:

I want to see that one too! Hopefully it's still in the cinemas next week when SH and I have an evening without kids :D

I think it's still making money so it should be around for a bit longer.  Although Endgame drops this week (at least in the US) which might knock it out.

Ah, that was a nice little break.  Let's get back to it:

I noped out of the last few days of Week Zero.  With all the obligations and activities going on during Easter Week I got a little burned out and needed some down time.  Plus I wanted to have a nice Easter day without any concern for limits or controls or fitnessing of any kind, really.  It helped!  We had a really nice weekend and enjoyed a number of seasonal treats (my Peeps were especially tasty when sandwiched with a bit of milk chocolate).  The scale ticked up slightly for this week's check in (238.5), and I'm not bothered by that at all.  The only thing I regret is forgetting to wear sunscreen when I was working outside all day Saturday.  And even that didn't turn out too badly.

W1D2 - as I expected Monday was the first opportunity to start paddling, and I made every effort to get pointed in the right direction and catch this wave.  I fasted until lunch, which was leftover from the Easter dinner I made: braised brisket (with onion-apple gravy), potato pancakes, and roasted Brussels sprouts.  That was plenty substantial to carry the day through dinner.  MFG had assembled fixin's for breakfast tacos, so I made a trio of soft shells with eggs, potatoes, chorizo, and cheddar cheese.  I had a few calories left on the day and briefly debated drinking some of the root beer that was left in the fridge from the weekend.  Instead I poured the entire bottle down the drain and closed out my day at 1789 kcal.

I was absolutely determined to do my treadmill walk when I got home from work, so much so that I kicked Boomer off and cut Brick out of line.  :lol:  I watched the antepenultimate episode of Orphan Black while treadmilling and barely avoided bursting into tears as I finished my walk, which was 42 minutes of adequate exertion at decent speed.

The rest of the night was simple but not without its frustrations.  Bubbles and MFG went to their troop meeting.  The boys and I have been watching the Star Wars saga on Mondays while the girls are out, so last night was Harmy's Despecialized The Empire Strikes Back.  Thank the Maker for Harmy and his crew removing all the added CGI garbage that infests all the video releases since 1997.  While doing that I worked further on laptop upgrades for the kids' school-work computers, and all that went smoothly except for one touchpad driver on one of the systems that Dell doesn't support for Windows 10. :angry:  I fiddled with it all night in between Rocket League matches and finally gave up around midnight.  I slept a little later this morning to get my full allotment, so the late bedtime didn't impact my fitness goals too much.

Speaking of goals, I let Week Zero slide a bit and might need a recalibration of my challenge goal:  instead of losing 10 pounds from 237.2 I may just aim for the 230-lb mark.  That should be achievable with a reasonable amount of focus on my daily program.  I'll know a little better what I want to do after this week's check-in--if I can dump the weekend bloat quickly and resume my prior rate of fat-burning then I could possibly stick with the original goal.  Either way, I'm back on track and hoping for a good wave to ride for the rest of this challenge.  I'd love for it to be as effortless as possible.  :) 

• Like 5

W1D3 - Tuesday was a good day.  I started the morning a little late and picked up a DDP on the way to work.  Along with that I bought a small snack pack of ham, almonds, and cheddar for a light breakfast.  Lunch was the same as Monday: leftover brisket (with gravy), potato pancakes, and Brussels sprouts.  For dinner MFG made Greek chicken thighs with fasolakia, and then I added a serving of cashews to bump my day up to 1783 kcal.  Nothing to it. :)

Rest day was restful.  I worked a little later then ate dinner as soon as I got home.  I spent the rest of the evening tinkering with the laptops and then replacing the primary SSD in my main computer.  With that done I did a bit of guitar practice, then I played a couple hours of Rocket League (managed to rank up in 2s) before heading up to bed.  EZ days, gotta love 'em.

Today should be pretty smooth, too.  I'm considering just walking to church this evening for small group as a way to satisfy my Move goal.  This wave feels like a good one, and I'm all too eager to keep it going.

• Like 5

W1D4 - Wednesday was a good day.  I had a lighter lunch planned so I started with my usual drive-thru breakfast--McMuffin and DDP.  During the lead-up to lunch I snacked on a handful of roasted peanuts.  MFG bought a jar for the kids, but they didn't like them so I brought them to stash in my office for periodic snacking; and so far it's been helpful.  Lunch itself was leftover Greek chicken thighs with fasolakia.  I didn't eat anything else until dinner, which was small-group potluck.  3/4 families (including us) brought some permutation of bread with meat and cheese, and the 4th person brought cake. :lol:  I stuck to MFG's ham and swiss sliders and ate enough to get my total up to 1869 kcal, which is where I locked the day down.

I got home with an hour to spare before small-group, so I relaxed for 20 minutes then filled a water bottle and set out on my walk to church.  It's pretty much right at 2 miles which took just over 40 minutes.  I kept the pace fairly chill since I didn't want to arrive in a sweat.  It was actually pretty pleasant, aside from the portion with no sidewalk and 50-mph traffic.

After group we went home and relaxed.  I played Rocket League until around midnight and had to sleep a bit later this morning to get my full allotment.  Another solid day in the books.

• Like 4

On 4/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, DrFeelgood said:

This wave feels like a good one, and I'm all too eager to keep it going.

Good to hear!  

Image result for riding a wave gif

• Like 2

W1D5 - Thursday was a good day.  Through the morning I snacked on a couple ounces of roasted peanuts in my office.  I didn't have any leftovers for lunch, so I made plans to drive thru Whataburger and enjoy a double cheeseburger.  I also got a giant DDP with it, and that was an excellent way to spend half of my day's calories.  For dinner at home MFG made a keto-friendly casserole with chicken, green chiles, artichokes, and cream cheese.  I put that on a big bed of dark salad greens and closed out my day pretty much right on target: 1857 kcal.

I had band practice at church after dinner, then I dropped in to the mega-mart on the way home to pick up a few necessities.  I took care of a few chores and did some home-office stuff with our banking and whatnot.  Then I played RL until 11 and went straight to bed.

Simple day just cruising on the wave.  B) I'm taking this challenge nice and easy and so far it seems to be paying off.  I hope Sunday morning has some good numbers for me.

• Like 5

W1D6 - Friday was a good day.  I snacked on some peanuts in the morning, then lunch was leftover chicken-artichoke casserole on a big bed of salad greens.  MFG made lasagna and green beans for dinner, and I closed out the day at  1724 kcal.  I deferred my Move goal to Saturday since I was planning to join a crew of folks playing roller hockey on post.  That left time to relax and work on home projects.  Then I stayed up too late playing Rocket League and logged my first red square of the challenge.  No biggie, or so I thought...

W1D7 - Saturday started out nice.  I slept in a little then got to work on my projects again in the morning.  At 9:30 I headed out to the rink for some roller hockey, and I worked up a good sweat for about an hour until I fell while defending a wrap-around attempt and landed badly on my right wrist.  All hopes of "just a sprain" were dashed when x-rays confirmed it was broken.

Wipe. Out.

Oh well, at least I got some exercise and fun out in the sun before breaking myself again.  The rest of the day ran a little over on food (bone-healing protocol is in effect) and I had a hard time sleeping due to pain and discomfort.

Week 1 Check-in - Even with a big bulky splint I weighed in nearly two pounds below Easter Sunday.  When I get the splint off I'll weigh it and subtract that from this week's official total.

W2D1 - Sunday was a good day, despite having to bow out of music at church.  I managed to rest and eat without overeating, and I was able to (mostly) enjoy the day without over-exerting myself.  Food was good and nutritious, and I slept much better last night.  I even managed to play a bit of Rocket League (poorly) before bed.

Today I'm supposed to hear from the orthopedist.  With luck I'll get out of this splint and in to a shorter cast.  The next few weeks will contain much briefer updates, but I intend to keep working this challenge while I focus on healing and recovery.

• Like 5

On 4/29/2019 at 1:10 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about the wrist, and all the inevitable jokes that come with having a broken wrist.

Thanks.  So far you're the only one to obliquely joke about it.  I guess my circles are too old and boring now.

On 4/29/2019 at 3:00 PM, deftona said:

Ouchies! Heal soon, DFG! 

I'll certainly try.  This sucks.

Brief update.  Everything is difficult and/or painful, so I'm not doing anything right now.  I couldn't get a doctor's appointment until this afternoon so I've been in the awful splint for three days and I'm about fed up.  The only fitnessy effort I've made is to cut caffeine this week since I'm on painkillers anyway.

Took the family to see Avengers yesterday, and I'm still all full of feelings.

• Like 4