• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Image result for feast roman

A almost accurate picture of a classical Roman feast

Everyday I get to pick from my menu of things to do. Some days I'll just want appetizers, and some days it'll be a multi-course extravaganza. It'll depend on what I'm up for and how "hungry" I am. Tasks are organized into categories based on time involved, location, and level of concentration needed.

Bread Basket

Just like some restaurants bring bread, there are some things that I'll get for "free" regardless of if I really want them or not. These are non-negotiables.

Dance: Sunday and Wednesday

Yoga in studio: Tuesday and Thursday

Pony: Sunday after dance, plus Tuesday and/or Wednesday, possibly also Saturday after work

Healthy foods, no snacks at work, lots of tea

Appetizers

Easy to eat, grab-and-go kind of things.

Drop and do a plank, lower as far as I can with elbows in

Facial stretches for jaw pain

Take a breath and think before eating

In-the-moment meditation

Review of Italian words with phone app

Salads

Quick to fix up and good for you, too.

Short home yoga flow

Plan meals for the week

Pull an oracle card and journal about it

Read something for fun

Entrees

Take time to make. Please be patient.

Go for a bike ride

Meditation in my special place

Sat down Italian or chakra study (write things down)

Therapy related work (deep reading, journaling)

Dessert

Special order things that you don't get often.

Make  meatball #5 (20)

Make jam/jelly #1(30)

Make creme brulee #1 (it's a dessert dessert! dessert inception!) (30)

Work on striping furniture (10 each time)

Complete craft project #1(way behind on these) (50)

Go to social outing #4 and #5 (20)

Have date night with Mr. Vibrant #4 and #5 (20)

Because point systems work well for me:

Appetizers are 1 point each

Salads are 10 points each

Entrees are 20 points each

Desserts are pointed as marked

Chef reserves the right to make changes to the menu as she sees fit.

Related goals that I'm working towards:

1 date night/social outing per month

14 non-pressured bike rides this year

1 real pushup/hold chaturanga

Master my headstand

30 consecutive  days meditating

40 books read this year

Have basic understanding of conversational Italian

Related image

• Like 8

Zero week

Weekly Total: 22+31+32+3+62+11 = 161
Daily Average: 26.8

Best moment: being able to calm myself down from anxious to chill in seconds thanks to yoga/dance/meditation

Week 1

Weekly Total: 13+ 84+ 38+ 2+ 2+ 20+ 30
Daily Average: 27

Best moment: practicing self compassion over and over again

Week 2

Weekly Total: 11+ 3+ 11+ 11+ 1+ 1+ 20 = 58
Daily Average: 8

Best moment: hanging out with my mom <3 

Week 3

Weekly Total: 
Daily Average:

Best moment:

Week 4

Weekly Total: 
Daily Average:

Best moment:

Image result for turkish delight

Monday night I played around with my menu. I was exhausted, but I looked at my list (which I handily wrote on an index card to keep with me) and chose to pull an oracle card. With the menu style system, it's obvious what will only take one minute or 5 minutes, so it's less intimidating. Journaled about the card, then meditated in my spot for 7 minutes before the cats interrupted. I'm getting better about being able to clear my head. I was proud of myself for doing something instead of just going to bed (it was only 9pm). I then read in bed for a bit before lights out.

Theoretical points for Monday: 40

Let's talk about The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Spoiler

This was my absolute favorite book as a kid. I decided to re-read the series, and it's definitely interesting looking at it now. I'm about 1/3 the way through. I feel like the kids talk like adults, which is strange now. Edmund is a treacherous child.

I was oblivious to the potential for allegory when I was younger, but I do see it now. Coming from a decidedly spiritual-but-not-religious perspective, I still have strong happy feelings

about Aslan. From my point of view, he's not a Jesus figure but rather an embodiment of nature and all things good. Lewis denied the books being a direct allegory, but hot dam if it's not fricking obvious.

I also find it interesting that I most related to Susan (the older daughter) as a child. I didn't see myself as the person who found Narnia, but rather the awfully critical/cynical sibling who is gifted a horn to call for help and a magical bow whose arrows always hit their target. Susan is quite cautions, whereas I was always considering adventure. She's obviously a ranger, which is funny. I'm usually the one trying to step in to help, and not ask for it, which is also strange. However, I did fantasize being able to get magical help from Aslan as a child, in a very dysfunctional home.

Fun background facts about me: raised Roman Catholic due to my dad's side, mom's family was Jewish but extricated themselves from their faith during WWII. Really struggled with some tenants of the faith, and often used either mother nature or Athena for invocations as needed. Put my foot down in high school when it came to getting confirmed - I refused to either lie to myself at the ceremony or lie to a priest (just because I don't agree, doesn't mean I don't respect the position). Now as I'm exploring my spirituality, I still find mother nature and Athena to hold a lot of power. 

Image result for turkish delight

Tuesday was a great day. Played my RPG a bit, then got outside. 2 hours of yard work, 1/2 hour working on my furniture, 1 hour at the barn, and then yoga. The studio had the door open and the wind through the room was delightful. Also, I FINALLY got into a full expression of Half Moon. I've NEVER been able to get that, even in high school. After yard work I went to the fridge looking for food. I asked myself what I really wanted, and it turns out it was just water.

Theoretical points: 22

• 1x plank and lower
  • 1x breathe before eating
  • 1x read for fun
  • 1x furniture

I also spent some time looking up things to do for the myofascial pain in my jaw muscles. It really, REALLY frustrates me to see suggested treatments including yoga, meditation, aerobics (dancing), breathing exercises, and antidepressants. I'm already doing those things! I'm insanely grateful that my pain has been localized to my face (with the exception of 2 SI joint flares) for three months now, but I'm ready to have no pain at all.

I'm editing my menu to include facial stretches as an appetizer, and changing finishing a piece of furniture as 50 points to working on a piece of furniture as 10 points. Furniture stripping is hard work, and it's gonna take forever.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Children, Church, and Jesus: kaity--did  There was a little girl in church, about 5, and her  parents obviously let her get dressed herself that  day because she came waddling in with the puffiest  coat on in the summer in North Carolina. She comes  and sits in the pew in front of us. 15 minutes into  mass she turns around and hands my husand an  orange. Her parents are mortified  "Savannah not again!" They scold! (Again kills me)  They appologize and she turns back around. A few  moments later she goes to hand me an orange but  her parents grab it from her before she can  Savannah is determined. She reaches her tiny fists  into her puffy coat and pulls out two more ornages  She begins to distribute them. Her parents are now  beat red and in shock. There is no stopping small  Savannah now  This small child proceeds to laugh a laugh I can only  call maniacal (in a Catholic church) unzip the inner  line of her coat and releases what had to have been  20-30 of those little kid oranges into the pew:s  WE EAT Savannah yells cackeling  The priest can no longer contain his glee  The entire church is dying with laughter  She felt like Jesus on the moutian with the baskets  of fish that day I'm sure  Children are amazing Heartwarming

This makes me laugh! And almost want a kid. Almost. 

How do you go about ordering one who doesn't scream a bunch? Cause I've seen plenty of those at work.

Today's specials include:

• barn this morning before it rains   Pony was SO good! I'm enormously proud of him.
  • housecleaning. I think @Tanktimus the Encourager called it domestic rangering? I think house work is that infernal dungeon that you HAVE to get through to level up. You might be doing side quests and putting it off, but it's always there. And then once you finish that dungeon, there'll be another one you HAVE to get through for the next stage. Damn dungeons.
    • litterboxes
    • put away laundry
    • vacuum/mop the multiroom
    • vacuum/mop dining area
    • clean sink and toilet of downstairs bathroom
  • 1-3x 30 minutes spent learning about root chakra, italian, and/or therapy work
  • figure out what seedlings I need to start for the garden
    • loofa, pumpkin, and butternut squash
    • attempt amana tomatoes - never have had luck getting tomato seedlings to grow...
    • >>check the drawer for what flowers I'll be growing from seed
  • dance at 5:30

ETA: will roll over unfinished things to tomorrow 

• Like 3

Yes, Domestic Rangering it is. I don't think all the Chronicles are allegory, but The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe as well as The Last Battle are totally allegory. Tolkien called Lewis out on it and never believed otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yes, Domestic Rangering it is. I don't think all the Chronicles are allegory, but The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe as well as The Last Battle are totally allegory. Tolkien called Lewis out on it and never believed otherwise. 

Yeah! It's so blindingly obvious, to say that it wasn't intentional is unbelievable. Aslan as Jesus also asserts itself in The Horse and His Boy. The Magician's Nephew is basically Adam and Eve. It's been too long for me to remember anything from Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and the Silver Chair, but discussion will continue as I progress! 

• Like 1

After fumbling around for a long time, I think I finally figured out my race! In the past I've considered myself a halfling, cause I'm short. Not really stocky like a dwarf but not lithe either. I like to stay in my hobbit hole. But it never really fit with me. 

Last fall I went to Oregon. We drove all over - Portland, Willamette wine country, Crater Lake National Park, the coast - and one night we stayed in the Columbia River valley at this fantastic AirBnB. It was a teepee in the woods, overlooking the river. Heavenly. The host had a sign up in her potting shed that said "deeply content rooted warrior" and holy shit did that hit home. It's been my mantra ever since. 

When hiking Muir woods last challenge, Mr. Vibrant and I were talking about naiads and dryads (like ya do). And then it finally hit me today - I'm a dryad. But not a wimpy, weak, damsel kind of dryad. And not one who's lifeforce is tied to a certain tree and can't leave that area. It's some kind of adventuring variant dryad. I'm fiercely protective of my home and what's mine. I'm strong and grounded. I'm calm and a haven for critters. I belong in nature. 

Pics of Dryads

Spoiler

DyingDryad< from the original illustrations for the Chronicles of Narnia. Love her classical Roman-ish attire.

Related image< love her shape... and those shoes :P

Image result for fighting dryad < she's just pretty

Dryad-5e.pnghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B89-VEGNtkMcbV8xZnUxem83YnM/view Homebrewed dnd character. Love the background here.

Read it after writing what I did above, and my thoughts and the author's thoughts seem to line up.

Image result for sarah moon girl maple leaf < this was a cross stitch that my grandmother on my mom's side did.

It hung in her bathroom, and I always loved it. It took me years to find out what it was, after my grandfather (who was not a good man) got rid of EVERYTHING of hers after she died. I now have a print of the picture. The leaf she's holding is a sugar maple. I love her poufy hair and her necklace. I might be a sugar maple dryad :P

• Like 6

Wednesday: 31 points
Appetizers: 1 point

Salads: 10 points

Read something for fun - more LWW talk below

Spoiler

Everyone just got their gifts from Father Christmas. The girls were specifically told to only use their weapons (bow and dagger) in "times of great need" because "when women fight it gets ugly". Fabulous. :ambivalence:
Also recalling that the country south of Narnia is Calormene - a riff on colored men, as the peoples are described as dark and worshiping a false god, Tash. Essentially Middle Easterners or Indians. These books are definitely a product of it's time. 

Entrees: 20 points

Sat down chakra study (write things down)

Image result for feasting gif

Thursday's Menu

• work. stay focused on what I can control, and not my dumb boss's decisions.
    • 1x 30 minutes spent learning about Italian (at work, because I only have 5 appointments today)
    • clean litter boxes in the big tub
  • over the lunch hour: return clothes, get root hormone for plants, grab stuff from Sam's
    • clothes returning gets bumped to tomorrow. had a client walk in at 11:50 whomp whomp
  • yoga after work

Appetizers : 2

Salads: 10

Read something for fun

Entrees: 20

Sat down Italian study (write things down)

• Like 1

Friday:  Boss is still dumb. We were busy in the morning, which is both good and bad. Good: we have business. Bad: my boss is not planning on replacing a receptionist who just left, so we're short staffed. Then he gets grumpy when he doesn't have help or when the phones are ringing too much. Then everyone else gets grumpy cause he's being an ass. I was a cranky monster by lunch, but was able to 1) take a few deep breaths and calm myself down, 2) realize that bringing myself back to calm is a recent addition to my mental state, and 3) really appreciate that it exists.

After work I was feeling crafty, and stopped by the store to get some supplies. After dinner I started setting out the project (a wreath made from the cotton bolls that we grew during our 2nd wedding anniversary year... which was 3 years ago...:eek-new:)  but did not complete it yet. 

Mr. Vibrant and I shopped for new pens (he's slowly turning me into a pen snob) and caught up on Crash Course videos after dinner. Then laughed hysterically watching old Vine compilations. This one still gets me: 

In-the-moment meditation

• Like 4

Saturday: Today was a pretty awesome day. I didn't have to work and Mr. Vibrant didn't have to study/do homework, so we got to spend the whole day together. First, he cooked eggs to put on everything seasoned croissants from Aldi. It was delicious! I picked up a bit while he was cooking. We went back to the craft store, over to Target, and then the grocery store. We were both getting light headed so we opted for lunch out. I got a bunless blue cheese and bacon jam burger from a local grill.
We set out on our bicycles to enjoy the nice day. This was a huge ride for me for several reasons: 1) I didn't hate myself into cycling for exercise like I used to - which made cycling no fun for me and me not fun to cycle with, 2) my lungs/cardiovascular health cooperated so much that I didn't have to stop once, not even on the ramps up and down to bridges/overpasses, and 3) my hip flexors were chill enough that I could get off my bike like normal when I was done with 50 minutes of biking (in years past, I would have to lay the bike down and snake my way off because I couldn't flex my hip joint at all).
I worked on my furniture, while Mr cut his hair. Got cleaned up and then we both went to couples yoga at the studio. It was just as much fun as last time, possibly even more so since we tried a few acroyoga poses! 

Appetizers: 2

Drop and do a plank, lower as far as I can with elbows in

Salads: 10

Read something for fun

Entrees: 20

Go for a bike ride (#1/14)

Dessert: 30

Work on striping furniture (10 each time)

Have date night with Mr. Vibrant #4 (20)

Total: 62

I really like the menu for points set up, rather than the usual movement/nutrition/life categories. It really highlights the time/effort put in. I can continue working on self improvement, but not feel self-imposed pressure to finish a certain category. This is similar to my realization a few months ago that I can have several books going at the same time, and just pick up whatever I'm drawn to that day (therapy, yoga, Italian...)

I'm planning (right now at least - new format, so anything's game) to track daily points, then checking both a week total and a week's daily average. In the past, I've gotten hung up on doing "enough". When I initially set a certain number of tasks/points I wanted to get to in a challenge, I was getting a "grade", and that triggered my perfectionism. Moving toward a rack-up-the-points system was better, but felt kind of willynilly. I'm hoping a combo of weighted points plus do-whatever-I-can-in-a-day keeps my brain happy. 

Image result for nom nom gif

• Like 4

Sunday:  After house cleaning, dance, and the barn, I worked on my wreath. Not done yet, but close! Need more glue sticks. 

+1 Appetizers:  Facial stretches for jaw pain

+10 Salads: Read something for fun

Week in Review
Things I did not do at all: Italian phone app, Home yoga flow, Plan meals, Therapy related work

Things that I would like to prioritize this week: Oracle card, Meditation

Planned for tomorrow: Italian and plan meals while at work, return clothes over lunch (+/- get more glue sticks), yoga at home in evening, get greenhouse put together and pumpkins started, start bookclub book  work was stupid, it's gonna get worse, and I am doing a bunch of self care today

Planned for this week: finish wreath Tues, therapy work on Tues before counseling session Wednesday, work on furniture Tues/Wed, already picked out meatball #5 to be made Fri or Sat,  look at recipes for jam and creme brulee, possibly ask horse friends out to grab drinks over the weekend

• Like 2

Si vuoi practicare italiano, parlo un po'! (I'm always searching for people to practice)
I love how you made the challenge... like a "grab n' go" of things that do you good!

9 hours ago, jcmgm said:

Si vuoi practicare italiano, parlo un po'! (I'm always searching for people to practice)
I love how you made the challenge... like a "grab n' go" of things that do you good!

Conosco solo un po 'di italiano! (I had to google that, too!)

I've only learned a few hundred words so far, and my grammar is almost non-existant! 

I stalked your page- are you in school for biology? And you do penguin measuring???

I LOVE this menu situation you have going on! And I've always felt the most connection to Athena as well. =)

You are off to a great start!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

Conosco solo un po 'di italiano! (I had to google that, too!)

I've only learned a few hundred words so far, and my grammar is almost non-existant! 

I stalked your page- are you in school for biology? And you do penguin measuring???

Ah! Va bene... piano piano si va lontano! ;)
I'm a biologist... it's hard for us in Argentina to translate our degrees to english sometimes..I guess it's a Bachelor of Science in Biology. We spend 5 years, give or take, at the University. Now I'm undertaking a PhD in Biology also, as you said, with penguins. 'Metabolic effects of oiling in Magellanic penguins'. It's much more fun than it sounds!

• Like 2

Work thoughts. I'm so tired of this. I wish I wasn't in tears over my job....

Spoiler

Oh you guys, yesterday wasn't great. Everyone's had it up to their eyeballs with my boss and his decisions. I'm lucky in that my coworkers (technicians and assistants) and I are all in the same boat, and they are standing up for me by booking every possible appointment they can with me instead of my boss. My pay is partially based on production, so when I have no appointments - which was exactly the situation when I got in to the clinic yesterday morning - it seems pointless. I am a fantastic veterinarian, I am compassionate, and I have made some great connections with clients because of it. I work hard for my boss and often have gone above and beyond because I used to think this place had potential. I DO GOOD. I didn't always believe this before, but I do now.

Boss has refused to advertise the clinic, then gets upset when we have no business. He kicks people out when they give their two week notice, and we've had two people quit in 3 weeks. One left yesterday, so if we were short staffed before, now we're just screwed. He refuses to put up a job posting, which I'm sure is in part because he hates paying employees and doesn't want to shell out another paycheck right now. Because we're slow. We also can't keep up with phones if we don't have people to fucking answer them, which means we can't make fucking appointments. ::deep breath::

He offers no benefits, the pay (for my coworkers) is crap. He gives services away to his family members for free, but charges his employees. I honestly wonder if he seriously believes (as it's come across in the past 3 months) that female empowerment is equivalent to man-hating and should not be done. He's heavily involved in a program in his church, and his actions are often hypocritical. Then other times they're not. He believes the Koran is equivalent to Mein Kamph. That being married means that the man has been neutered. The list goes on...

There's another practice locally which may be growing. I've talked to the owner before, and he's lovely. They are building a brand new facility. (and BTW they're not the only ones growing - another practice build a new facility last fall). I'm SO FUCKING SCARED that if my boss gets wind that I've talked to them, he'll kick me out. My job is flexible now - I work part time, and can take vacation whenever almost. I'm also fucking scared that if I don't jump into the growing practice, they will fill the spot and I will be stuck in this miserable job. There are only so many practices nearby, and hiring doesn't happen often. 

So yesterday I played the manage-your-mental-state-with-self-care game. I came home and napped over lunch. I practiced my breathing mindfulness while driving to work, and my facial stretches when I was leaving. My jaw was much tighter than usual leaving work, no surprise there. I chose healthy foods for dinner, did not eat my feelings. I thought about what my body really wanted, and it wanted healthy food. I plopped myself on the coul ch and watched Great British Bake Off in the evening. It was calming, and everyone there is so sweet to each other and helps and cheers the other contestants. Even the hosts help periodically. It gave me hope. My oracle card calmed me, too. Points: 13

Today I am up early and I have hope for the day. I can feel good. I can do this. 

In trying to learn more, I decided last night I want to write out a gratitude list in Italian, so I can learn the words of the things that bring me joy. 
Sono grato per:

• i miei dolci gatti
  • il mio magnifico marito
  • il mio bel cavallo
  • Aya, la danza meditativa. Balla libero!
  • la mia practica yoga
  • il cioccolato
  • la primavera
  • il auto-miglioramento
  • la cura di sé
  • e traduttore di google :witless:

On Tuesday's menu:

• tea and a calm breakfast, eaten mindfully
  • meditation
  • Complete my wreath! YAY still deciding about adding a boll or two, and needs a way to hang it, but basically done

• Work on striping furniture - maintain mindfulness during this, don't get to ruminating over work

• get greenhouse put together and pumpkins started 

• figure what plants we need to get for the garden

• pony before yoga
    • mindfulness and facial exercises while driving
  • yoga at 5:30
    • did 6 sun salutations during class, my plank and lower goal was hit
  • start bookclub book OR reread my favorite, whatever I'm in the mood for

rest of the list as a reminder for myself:

Italian study

Meal planning

Picking a jam and a creme brulee

Oracle card

I can do this.

• Like 5

I think its a wonderful insight that you belong in nature

more people I think should discover this about themselves!  the Natural world is a place where our bodies work best;and all the forms of outdoor adventuring bring exceptional mental, physical and spiritual strength.

anyways, I'm following as you explore that.

• Like 2

Woah your list is soo much more comprehensive then mine...I need to step up my game for next challenge or maybe even fix it up as I go (with your advice of course :)). Woot woot you are doing great and I look forward to continuing following your challenege :)

15 hours ago, Tesseract said:

I LOVE this menu situation you have going on! And I've always felt the most connection to Athena as well. =)

You are off to a great start!

Thank you! 

7 hours ago, jcmgm said:

Ah! Va bene... piano piano si va lontano! ;)
I'm a biologist... it's hard for us in Argentina to translate our degrees to english sometimes..I guess it's a Bachelor of Science in Biology. We spend 5 years, give or take, at the University. Now I'm undertaking a PhD in Biology also, as you said, with penguins. 'Metabolic effects of oiling in Magellanic penguins'. It's much more fun than it sounds!

That is super cool!! 

Sono un veterinario :) Animals are a big deal for me 

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I think its a wonderful insight that you belong in nature

more people I think should discover this about themselves!  the Natural world is a place where our bodies work best;and all the forms of outdoor adventuring bring exceptional mental, physical and spiritual strength.

anyways, I'm following as you explore that.

Glad to have you!

4 hours ago, Adash5000 said:

Woah your list is soo much more comprehensive then mine...I need to step up my game for next challenge or maybe even fix it up as I go (with your advice of course :)). Woot woot you are doing great and I look forward to continuing following your challenege :)

Ah yes. I forgot to mention this challenge's sponsor. 

This challenge is brought to you by Rangerbrain ®.

Rangerbrain - because god forbid we do only one thing at at time.

You learn and grow as you do these challenges. This is official on-the-forums number 10 for me, but even when I wasn't here I was doing similar challenges myself. My menu is long, in part, because after almost 3 years I have a pretty good handle on what helps me be my best self. Lots of that understanding came in the first 6 or so challenges, and lots more has come in the last 4 months. You got this!

• Like 4

I don't know what your schedule would be at other clinics. I strongly believe your boss will never un-toxic himself. Would it be the worst thing in the world if you were no longer there? It's nice now while you can take vacations when you want. What happens when you have to take vacations because he says there isn't enough work for you because he's run everyone off?

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, Tova the Vibrant said:
  • i miei dolci gatti
  • il mio magnifico marito
  • il mio bel cavallo

voglio sapere tutti i nomi! Mi piace sapere queste cose (I would love to know all their names! I like to know these things (ha, curious me?)

Sei un veterinario o una veterinaria? We, the heirs of Latin language, have the pesky issue of having gendered articles and nouns

Animals are great! The bad thing is that in my lab, Marine Mammal Research Group, we work with some living... and we deal with everything the sea throws upon our shores.
What are you specialized in?

Edited by jcmgm
incomplete