• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Just Barely Getting By

...pretty sure that's a lyric in "Castle on the Hill" by Ed Sheeran, but we'll pretend I spontaneously came up with the phrase.

Been a busy past challenge, that'll continue for the foreseeable six months - I'm currently juggling a full-time job, a de facto part-time job as a semi-professional dancer, and doing a 1-class-at-a-time grad school program in data science and statistics. And maybe trying to put myself out there in the dating game a bit. Oh, and my parents are visiting this weekend and then I go to a competition the next weekend. So lots of big events in just the next two weeks.

Keeping goals simple this time around:

• Drink water and lots of it: about 50% (or maybe more) of my poor food choices come when I'm super dehydrated - I'm an athlete who sweats a BUNCH and takes medicines for allergies that can be somewhat dehydrating, so water is QUITE important for me to not feel like death later in the day at practice
  • Experiment with different workout times / places: I like my current program of a little bit of strength and a mix of aerobic and interval work, plus prehab and mobility warmups. But I'm struggling to do it in the morning, practice at night, and make it in to work as early as I'm supposed to. I'm going to experiment with using the gym either at my apartment or at the office during my lunch to see if I can save myself some time and sanity in the morning. Especially the over lunch workout
  • Take walks outside / in general when I'm work stuck: I have a bad habit of hunting for every possible stimulus when I'm at my desk and stuck on a problem. I took a head-clearing walk just now and came back to my desk ready to write a good first draft solution to the problem I was stuck on (plus was in a way better headspace from being out in the sunshine). Gotta keep this in my arsenal of tools - it's ok to take a walk even if I don't have to pee, go to the bathroom, or talk to a colleague.
  • Keep good sleep hygiene: Wind down by slowly dimming the lights, put screens away, don't drink caffeine in the afternoon - all that good stuff. All stuff I KNOW works well for me, but sometimes the actual doing of it is difficult to pull off.
  • Don't overcommit: I have a tendency to assume I have INFINITE ENERGY when planning out my weekends and weekdays with activities. The truth is, I don't, and my big 3 things sap a LOT of my total energy. So I've gotta be smart and build some breathing room into my schedule - not just to meal prep and clean and other things that are vaguely work-like, but also just to REST.

Gonna be updating sporadically, and won't be finding a ton of time to keep up with others' threads. But I'll try!

• Like 7

First and following!

11 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

...pretty sure that's a lyric in "Castle on the Hill" by Ed Sheeran, but we'll pretend I spontaneously came up with the phrase.

I'm pretty confident there's a country song that's got Ed Sheeran beat by a couple of decades.

• Like 1

Another competition! Slay everyone! Defeat your rivals and leave the battlefield scorched and salted!!!!! Wait, is it a dance competition? I mean... have fun and dance well :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

I'm pretty confident there's a country song that's got Ed Sheeran beat by a couple of decades.

A country song...?

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Grumble said:

First and following!

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

A country song...?

Haha I'm sure that it shows up plenty in country, but when I typed it I heard a British redhead singing in my head, so here we are.

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

Another competition! Slay everyone! Defeat your rivals and leave the battlefield scorched and salted!!!!! Wait, is it a dance competition? I mean... have fun and dance well :)

Haha first sentiment is still accurate! Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

giphy.gif 

^^^Accurate footage of me in just about any social or workout situation. :lol:

Week 0, Day 1: 

• Drink water: not as good as it could be - I was SUPER dehydrated by the time I got home from dance practice, but I felt nauseous basically all day so we'll call it only partly my fault. 0.5/1
  • Take walks outside: check, though it's kinda a gimme -- I came up with the goal as a result of having a good walk outside. 1/1
  • Experiment with workout times: I was feeling under on sleep / recovery, so I skipped the workout yesterday morning - I feel like this was the right call. 1/1
  • Good sleep hygiene: Not great here - I sort of just stood in my kitchen snacking instead of doing my evening grooming and stretching and getting ready for bed. But I dimmed the lights and was in bed at a reasonable hour, so still half a point. 0.5/1
  • Don't overcommit: I said, out loud, that I'm taking a break from all dating apps and going on dates for the next two weeks - cause it'd just be too much with my dance schedule plus entertaining my parents for the weekend - but I do plan to stay in touch with a guy whose number I already have and try to set something up for after I'm back at a sane-ish level of scheduled. 1/1

I had sort of a mini-lightbulb moment while on the phone with a job recruiter who reached out to me yesterday afternoon. The role was theoretically on paper my dream role - using analytics to make a social impact - but it just wasn't getting me excited about the possibility of moving companies and cities (especially cities). But this wasn't fear of the unknown as much as knowing I'd be losing ties to the community I've built - especially the kids whose lives I get to be a part of through dance and that are really special to me. I realized that I really, truly, love connecting with students and teaching and mentoring and that's what really gets me excited, much more so than any sort of personal achievement in a professional realm (other than as a dance competitor). I don't know what this means for future moves exactly, but it reinforced that my semi-definite plan to transition into teaching dance at least part time (above and beyond what I do for my youth program) is a step in a direction I want to take. And also makes me feel better about just not being *that* excited to keep working on my mini master's degree online - I'll for sure see my current course through to the best of my abilities, but I may not end up taking the next course in the sequence (although, there's *only* one more left, so I might just power through).

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

• Good sleep hygiene: Not great here - I sort of just stood in my kitchen snacking instead of doing my evening grooming and stretching and getting ready for bed. But I dimmed the lights and was in bed at a reasonable hour, so still half a point. 0.5/1

I'm imagining you standing in the gloom, eating shortbreads in the shadows. 

9 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I realized that I really, truly, love connecting with students and teaching and mentoring and that's what really gets me excited, much more so than any sort of personal achievement in a professional realm (other than as a dance competitor). I don't know what this means for future moves exactly, but it reinforced that my semi-definite plan to transition into teaching dance at least part time (above and beyond what I do for my youth program) is a step in a direction I want to take. 

Awesome. Good to have figured this out, and exciting that you have something to look forward to long term that fits with your preferences.

59 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm imagining you standing in the gloom, eating shortbreads in the shadows. 

Make sure you picture a gollum squat. And jelly beans and reese's eggs instead of shortbreads. :P

59 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Awesome. Good to have figured this out, and exciting that you have something to look forward to long term that fits with your preferences.

For sure. Still nebulous what *exactly* I do with the new info, but it's useful to have nonetheless. And to not push myself to fake my way through a job interview process when I'm not that interested.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

I had sort of a mini-lightbulb moment while on the phone with a job recruiter who reached out to me yesterday afternoon. The role was theoretically on paper my dream role - using analytics to make a social impact - but it just wasn't getting me excited about the possibility of moving companies and cities (especially cities). But this wasn't fear of the unknown as much as knowing I'd be losing ties to the community I've built - especially the kids whose lives I get to be a part of through dance and that are really special to me. I realized that I really, truly, love connecting with students and teaching and mentoring and that's what really gets me excited, much more so than any sort of personal achievement in a professional realm (other than as a dance competitor). I don't know what this means for future moves exactly, but it reinforced that my semi-definite plan to transition into teaching dance at least part time (above and beyond what I do for my youth program) is a step in a direction I want to take. And also makes me feel better about just not being *that* excited to keep working on my mini master's degree online - I'll for sure see my current course through to the best of my abilities, but I may not end up taking the next course in the sequence (although, there's *only* one more left, so I might just power through).

All of this is a solid cue for your direction, I'm very happy that you've had these opportunities to help you see the path that lines most with your values!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jett said:

Hey there! Seems like we have similar goals this time, so I'm following for inspiration. :)

:) Hey there! And welcome aboard the warrior crazy train!

5 minutes ago, RedStone said:

All of this is a solid cue for your direction, I'm very happy that you've had these opportunities to help you see the path that lines most with your values!

And also, scary as all heck! Like, I might actually be committing to A path forward, instead of assuming I can in perpetuity excel on multiple paths forward simultaneously. Craziness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

And also, scary as all heck! Like, I might actually be committing to A path forward, instead of assuming I can in perpetuity excel on multiple paths forward simultaneously. Craziness

Did you just make a data pun and completely overlook it?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Did you just make a data pun and completely overlook it?

Yup haha. Excel is a necessary evil in my job, I much prefer python for number crunching and tableau for meaty visualization (not that I’m great with it yet).

1 minute ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Yup haha. Excel is a necessary evil in my job, I much prefer python for number crunching squeezing and tableau for meaty visualization (not that I’m great with it yet).

I will make a punner out of you yet.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

I will make a punner out of you yet.

It's a slow moving process, got a lot of obstacles to wind through on the path there.

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

following :) 

Yayayay!!! :)

Updates for today:

• Drank plenty of water yesterday (probably upwards of a gallon at work and more at practice)
  • Got 8 hours of sleep
  • Didn't go outside but took a couple minutes to just breathe mindfully and it was energizing
  • Worked out in the morning, but at my apartment gym - and still got a good enough strength training stimulus out of it! Proof that I don't *need* a gym membership to train as an athlete
  • No new commitments added
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Updates for today:

• Drank plenty of water yesterday (probably upwards of a gallon at work and more at practice)
  • Got 8 hours of sleep
  • Didn't go outside but took a couple minutes to just breathe mindfully and it was energizing
  • Worked out in the morning, but at my apartment gym - and still got a good enough strength training stimulus out of it! Proof that I don't *need* a gym membership to train as an athlete
  • No new commitments added

Sounds like a great day! Go you! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JessFit said:

Sounds like a great day! Go you! 

Thanks!

Oh random other training update: I think I’m paring back my workout volume, because 5 mornings a week is getting unmanageable (at least with work, grad school, and dance). New plan is 1-2 strength sessions (all full body), 1-2 prefab / anaerobic conditioning, 0-1 active recovery. So I can get as little as 2 workouts in and still call it a good enough week. And on the same vein of quietly decommitting myself, I’m lowering my bar for grad school to just passing and being A-OK with a 61% passing grade if it happens, rather than getting worked up over not getting every point on assignments and tests (besides, I’m learning directly applicable stuff for my current job that I find interesting in isolation, so it’s truly not wasted time to learn, just wasted time to stress over the learning).

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Thanks!

Oh random other training update: I think I’m paring back my workout volume, because 5 mornings a week is getting unmanageable (at least with work, grad school, and dance). New plan is 1-2 strength sessions (all full body), 1-2 prefab / anaerobic conditioning, 0-1 active recovery. So I can get as little as 2 workouts in and still call it a good enough week. And on the same vein of quietly decommitting myself, I’m lowering my bar for grad school to just passing and being A-OK with a 61% passing grade if it happens, rather than getting worked up over not getting every point on assignments and tests (besides, I’m learning directly applicable stuff for my current job that I find interesting in isolation, so it’s truly not wasted time to learn, just wasted time to stress over the learning).

Good enough is sometimes exactly right. 

• Like 1

\o/ Excellent goaling and continued explorations of what is important to youuuu. 

ALSO I AM EXCITED TO HANG OUT NEXT WEEKEND.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Good enough is sometimes exactly right. 

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Learning is never a waste of time. 

...says the professional learning facilitator... 

giphy.gif

Such wise input from both of y'all! And then there's @Laghail with his WTFery. :P

7 minutes ago, raptron said:

\o/ Excellent goaling and continued explorations of what is important to youuuu. 

\o/ thanks friend! It's still so intimidating saying out loud "this is what really matters to me" but I am slooooowly finding it super freeing as well.

7 minutes ago, raptron said:

ALSO I AM EXCITED TO HANG OUT NEXT WEEKEND.

AHHHH YESSSSSS!!!! Cannot wait to hang out with probably the raddest person I know!

Week 0, Day ?:

Yesterday was good - got lots of water, skipped working out because I wasn't well-rested from the night before, and mostly took it easy on myself. There's a lot of mental stress I'm placing on myself to be *perfect* at all times, and that's just unnecessary and exhausting. I can have subpar days and even weeks at work and make up for it. BUT OMG Y'ALL, teaching dance yesterday evening was life-giving - I got to do back to back sessions with the kiddos I've had off and on (we rotate teaching assignments) for 2+ years and I just felt so at home with them and so excited to be with them on their learning journey. It really reaffirmed that I feel some sort of vocational pull towards teaching and need to keep exploring how to make that happen. Practice with my partner was also solid, we had a really frank discussion about some things that were under the surface for each of us and leading to a little tension and now I think we have a way of moving forward through them. We wrapped up early for us (9:30) then proceeded to chat for another hour-plus, which was really great because I was a little short on friend time this week and the chat we had really filled me with hope for the future amidst a lot of change.

Parents get into town tonight to kick off a weekend of hanging out together - should be a grand old time and I cannot wait!!!

• Like 8

Parent time this weekend was great, if a little tiring. We had some really great conversations and I feel more fully emotionally connected to my parents than I have in a while, which is a great feeling to experience. And we did fun things too - went out to some cool places to eat, went to the science museum with a LEGO art (!!!) exhibit, went to the art museum with some awesome impressionist paintings, walked around a park in the beautiful warm weather, and went to a party with some of my local friends (and I cooked an awesome brunch for my parents with my mom helping a ton - avocado toast, sweet potato hash browns, and a shakshuka type egg thing - I overcooked the yolks on the eggs, but the tomato sauce was DELICIOUSLY spiced so there were still some big wins while trying a new "recipe" - I'd call it a recipe but I literally made up the spices and savory veggies on the fly based on a vague idea of how shakshuka is cooked). Just saw them off with a going away breakfast - it was surprisingly hard to see them go, even more so than usual for me.

I did pretty ok on drinking water, not amazing on sleep rituals - I think I'll struggle the same this week. But I'm doing well on not overcommitting - now that parents are headed home, I have nothing social planned in the evenings until I fly out to Boston this weekend, although I do have two social lunches this week plus tutoring a dance student in math one of the other days. Oh, and I need to finish a lot of grad school work so that I'm not spending my whole time in Boston doing that. But it's alright, I can suck it up and power through for a week.

I also had a real "ah ha!" moment at Easter Mass - it's normally a very trite sermon, but my pastor did a great job of really getting to the core of something I struggle with in my faith and, more generally, in my life - I am great at devotion and rituals, but I'm much less good at having faith and hope. He spoke of his own struggles with pessimism and it really connected with me and got me excited to try and take 5 minutes each day to reflect on hope and faith and allowing them to play a part in my life. I'm not sure exactly where this'll lead, but I'm hoping for and starting to experience one effect of it - I'm more at peace with the aspects of dating that I really can't control (namely, other people's interest in or lack thereof in me and whether or not all the factors align for a relationship to start on the right foot). It's tough, and I'm by no means a totally changed man, but changes are always slow and I'm excited to just keep putting one foot in front of the other here.

• Like 8