• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Just Barely Getting By

Just got a bit caught up, wow I've missed a lot and I was only away two weeks!

You do know that your version of "just barely hanging in there" is near-equivalent to many folks' "having my most productive day ever," right? I mean, I don't want to encourage comparison, b/c comparison sucks all the rocks, but you Do. A. Lot. Like ... a LOT.

Coffee date sounds funsies. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the intimidatingly smart prospects, since that just superficially seems ultra nerd-appropriate (I'm picturing you having drinks with a Ross-from-Friends type awkward but charming pedantic professor and going off in abs-blasting gigglefits about some obscure mathematical joke that <0.5% of the population would get.)

Random dance question - that song, "Perhaps" - is that a Latin competition standard? Reason: that song features prominently in that Baz Luhrmann film that I'm pretty sure you still haven't seen, and those are the only two places I've ever heard it.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

omg i somehow missed this when you posted it so thank you for resurfacing it. you two dance so well together!!

Thank you thank you! Still a work in progress, but we're proud of how far we've come in the 6 months we've been partnered.

1 hour ago, JessFit said:

I LOVE THIS DANCE SO MUCH! You guys are fantastic! Wooooooo

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

11 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Just got a bit caught up, wow I've missed a lot and I was only away two weeks!

Hahaha yep! I had a moment while driving home from work yesterday where I realized "crap...that's all happened in the past WEEK?" while looking back on a week of stuff that happened.

You do know that your version of "just barely hanging in there" is near-equivalent to many folks' "having my most productive day ever," right? I mean, I don't want to encourage comparison, b/c comparison sucks all the rocks, but you Do. A. Lot. Like ... a LOT.

I appreciate the outside perspective - not for comparison to others, but for the reminder that my bare minimum that I hold myself to is still quite a bit. Makes me feel like it's ok that I can't remember when the floors were last swept, lol.

Coffee date sounds funsies. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the intimidatingly smart prospects, since that just superficially seems ultra nerd-appropriate (I'm picturing you having drinks with a Ross-from-Friends type awkward but charming pedantic professor and going off in abs-blasting gigglefits about some obscure mathematical joke that <0.5% of the population would get.)

I sent him a flirty text earlier today with multiple object-oriented programming jokes. Your visualization is quite accurate! :lol:

Random dance question - that song, "Perhaps" - is that a Latin competition standard? Reason: that song features prominently in that Baz Luhrmann film that I'm pretty sure you still haven't seen, and those are the only two places I've ever heard it.  

It's a pretty common / cliched one - we hear it at nearly every competition! And GAH, I still need to watch that movie - sorry for slacking haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

h - we're the couple in all black, the loud cheering

The shoes look brutal for dancing! (I have memories of jazz shoes for my son when he did hip-hop years ago.) But wow, you move well together :)

• Thanks 1

I usually do my NF reading at work, and they've blocked youTube. So I haven't had a chance to look at the dance vid yet, but I definitely will later!

6 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Makes me feel like it's ok that I can't remember when the floors were last swept, lol.

This is definitely fine. If they get bad enough to annoy you, just grab a broom and get the area that you're noticing. Otherwise, who is even going to care?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Basically, think of it as absolute max effort - we're dancing as large as we can, with full energy and performance quality because we need to be noticed from 50+ feet away on a crowded floor. We do that for 90 seconds at a time, times 5, times 4 (i.e. 4 sets of 5 reps of 90 seconds, about 30 minutes of effort in total over an hour). It's a LOT physically, but it's mostly a mental challenge to stay in a positive, performance-focused mindset instead of letting ourselves dwell on the mistakes that are happening in the moment (because there are ALWAYS mistakes). 

That sounds very hard. It reminds me of aerial performance rehearsals. It's so exhausting. But I do think this type of training, even on a non-pro /non-competitive level, is very useful to hone the skills. I think in gymnastics they have similar phases, focusing on strength and skills for a while and then competition season requires training specific routines again and again and again. Maybe it's something that should happen in personal training even when there is no performance / competition involved.

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I sent him a flirty text earlier today with multiple object-oriented programming jokes.

ha ha :lol:

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, Katerina said:

The shoes look brutal for dancing! (I have memories of jazz shoes for my son when he did hip-hop years ago.) But wow, you move well together :)

Haha, I mean, have you seen what the ladies are wearing? Ours are a downright cake walk by comparison! And thank you! :)

On 5/7/2019 at 8:21 PM, Jett said:

I usually do my NF reading at work, and they've blocked youTube. So I haven't had a chance to look at the dance vid yet, but I definitely will later!

This is definitely fine. If they get bad enough to annoy you, just grab a broom and get the area that you're noticing. Otherwise, who is even going to care?

Haha right now I'm in the "F*** it, I'm moving in under two weeks" stage of my cleaning, which means that I can't be bothered to clean anything because I'm about to get a fresh start by default. And still haven't decided but think I may hire a cleaning service to do my move-out clean out (or just not bother doing much for it).

On 5/8/2019 at 12:14 AM, @mu said:

That sounds very hard. It reminds me of aerial performance rehearsals. It's so exhausting. But I do think this type of training, even on a non-pro /non-competitive level, is very useful to hone the skills. I think in gymnastics they have similar phases, focusing on strength and skills for a while and then competition season requires training specific routines again and again and again. Maybe it's something that should happen in personal training even when there is no performance / competition involved.

Oh yes, it's definitely EXHAUSTING, but hard to replicate the feeling anywhere else.

ha ha :lol:

Figured you'd appreciate that!

Well, it's been over a week! Updates in that time:

• We're in the ramp up to peak allergy season in North Texas and it's one of the more brutal years since I've lived here; thankfully, I've been getting treatments to make me less sensitive or I would be DEAD - instead, I'm just hopped up on meds, perpetually have a slightly sore throat and occasionally feel like I'm floating because the sinus pressure gets so intense
  • I had a really emotionally intense dance lesson over the weekend with a visiting coach we had in town - this guy is normally not a super taxing lesson for other people, but for some reason any lesson I have with him usually cuts straight to the emotional insecurities I feel, pretty much 24/7 across most aspects of my life, and fortunately/unfortunately one of this coach's talents is cutting straight past the BS to the point. It resolved with me having a lot of homework to do on really trusting myself as a dancer / performer, and it's not going to be easy homework - but I'm excited to get to work and start trying it!
  • Also had a bad stomach THING on Sunday (day after the really rough lesson - maybe not a coincidence) and felt miserable basically all day (had to leave dance early because I felt a bit feverish in addition to a ton of abdominal pain); still not sure what caused it (though overconsumption of ice cream on Saturday night likely didn't help) and might never know for sure, but I feel like I'm on the mend now, thank goodness
  • Really enjoying teaching my kids still, AND there's a potential additional teaching thing on the horizon with the local collegiate team - one of their coaches wanted to take a step back and only teach the Latin styles, so they're tentatively going to pull me in for ballroom (this same team can be heard cheering loudly on the video posted - they're already fans of me / my partner).
  • I've been doing ok on hydrating, pretty terrible on sleep - but I'm reinstating some wind-down ritual habits (like dimming the lights, lighting a candle, and stretching) and those seem to be making a positive impact based on 1-2 days of data
  • I couldn't follow my normal food plans the past couple days due to feeling crummy, but I did a pretty good job still eating tasty and nutrient dense stuff based on how hungry I felt in the moment (intuitive eating but not Intuitive Eating, if you will) - and as a side effect it appears I'm coming down from a brief weight spike (not calling it a cut yet, but there is a desire to cut a bit more in the future for dance aesthetics).
  • Nerdy date guy and I went on a second date and it was v good - and we're both looking forward to more! Only downside, now I need to figure out a delicate way to say "hey sorry, not available right now" to a *lot* of guys from various apps (cause I have the free time in my life for 1, maybe 2 dates a week most weeks, and that severely limits my ability to parallel path anything)

Anyway, guess I'll be still aiming to hydrate, eat smart, and avoid overcommitting myself the rest of the challenge.

ETA: Oh! And I'm now less than two weeks away from moving day (10 days, in fact) - can't believe how close it's come, so quickly! And it's a busy next two weeks at work, so I'm really experimenting with strategies to buckle down, stay focused, and get shit done!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Haha, I mean, have you seen what the ladies are wearing? Ours are a downright cake walk by comparison! And thank you! :)

"Find comfortable heels" is possibly the least do-able item on my bucket list :|

• I had a really emotionally intense dance lesson over the weekend with a visiting coach we had in town - this guy is normally not a super taxing lesson for other people, but for some reason any lesson I have with him usually cuts straight to the emotional insecurities I feel, pretty much 24/7 across most aspects of my life, and fortunately/unfortunately one of this coach's talents is cutting straight past the BS to the point. It resolved with me having a lot of homework to do on really trusting myself as a dancer / performer, and it's not going to be easy homework - but I'm excited to get to work and start trying it!
  • Also had a bad stomach THING on Sunday (day after the really rough lesson - maybe not a coincidence) and felt miserable basically all day (had to leave dance early because I felt a bit feverish in addition to a ton of abdominal pain); still not sure what caused it (though overconsumption of ice cream on Saturday night likely didn't help) and might never know for sure, but I feel like I'm on the mend now, thank goodness

Emotional stress + emotional food consumption = dramatic physical symptoms? Yep, seems plausible. At least, that is totally how my life works!

• Nerdy date guy and I went on a second date and it was v good - and we're both looking forward to more! Only downside, now I need to figure out a delicate way to say "hey sorry, not available right now" to a *lot* of guys from various apps (cause I have the free time in my life for 1, maybe 2 dates a week most weeks, and that severely limits my ability to parallel path anything)

I swear you are my long lost twin baby brother - that is *exactly* how my life worked when I was single. Option A) there is nobody. Really. NOOOObody within a 100 mile radius that is even remotely interesting/interested. Zero zip zilch nada. --OR -- Option 2) "It's rainin' men, hallelujah it's rainin' men, a-men!!!" I mean, whoops ... too many, can't keep up, Yeesh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

As far as high heeled shoes go women's dance shoes are *relatively* comfy. Still suuuuucks after x hours, but at least there's some padding. 

And still haven't decided but think I may hire a cleaning service to do my move-out clean out (or just not bother doing much for it).

I'm not doing any of the moving cleaning myself ever again, it's just really not worth the time and effort! 

Even if it's hard work he sounds like an awesome coach! Not just for dancing but for becoming a better human in general. :) 

39 minutes ago, Gemma said:

"Find comfortable heels" is possibly the least do-able item on my bucket list :|

Seems legit. Right up there with "find jeans and work khakis that fit absolutely perfectly, then don't change lower body shape at all" for me haha. At least that's all fixable by a tailor.

Emotional stress + emotional food consumption = dramatic physical symptoms? Yep, seems plausible. At least, that is totally how my life works!

Ya, seems highly plausible - even if I'm a wee bit annoyed at my body because it used to be able to shrug all that biz off without ANY physical symptoms and now, out of nowhere it's sensitive to all that. I guess that's what comes with age? And I guess it's not all bad to get even more signs from my body encouraging me to slow down and rest a little before driving myself straight into a wall.

I swear you are my long lost twin baby brother - that is *exactly* how my life worked when I was single. Option A) there is nobody. Really. NOOOObody within a 100 mile radius that is even remotely interesting/interested. Zero zip zilch nada. --OR -- Option 2) "It's rainin' men, hallelujah it's rainin' men, a-men!!!" I mean, whoops ... too many, can't keep up, Yeesh!

Haha for real - like 3 months of casually looking ended up with a slow trickle of prospects, then BAM! way too many to the point where I had to figure out how the HECK I could schedule dates with them (and the answer was, I couldn't and needed to let some prospects drift away).

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

As far as high heeled shoes go women's dance shoes are *relatively* comfy. Still suuuuucks after x hours, but at least there's some padding. 

True true - but the break-in period, at least on some models, is brutal on lady's feet. Not pointe shoes, but no walk in the park either.

I'm not doing any of the moving cleaning myself ever again, it's just really not worth the time and effort! 

Amen - I'm hiring movers to pack for me this time and I'm super excited! I don't think I'll mind doing a quick sweep with a broom and sponge+bucket full of soapy water though, so that's probably the only cleaning I'll do on move out (and say screw the security deposit on the rest).

Even if it's hard work he sounds like an awesome coach! Not just for dancing but for becoming a better human in general. :) 

:) for sure - like I was telling a friend, doing the work on this is gonna SUCK at times, but it's work that I need and want to do no matter what - because a much braver, more whole-hearted life lies on the other side of that wall of insecurities.

Just now, Mike Wazowski said:

True true - but the break-in period, at least on some models, is brutal on lady's feet. Not pointe shoes, but no walk in the park either.

Well this is only compared to regular high street shoes of the same height. I'd still never voluntarily wear them because paaaaaaain. Incidentally the comfiest high heeled shoes I've ever had are my stripper pole shoes. :lol: I can't walk in them for shit, but they're very nice and padded, they're really designed to be a work shoe.

2 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

(and say screw the security deposit on the rest).

If that's an option for you I wouldn't bother either.

3 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

because a much braver, more whole-hearted life lies on the other side of that wall of insecurities.

<3

5 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Haha for real - like 3 months of casually looking ended up with a slow trickle of prospects, then BAM! way too many to the point where I had to figure out how the HECK I could schedule dates with them (and the answer was, I couldn't and needed to let some prospects drift away).

This just adds to my list of things that seem awful about dating. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Challenge accepted. <_<

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Well this is only compared to regular high street shoes of the same height. I'd still never voluntarily wear them because paaaaaaain. Incidentally the comfiest high heeled shoes I've ever had are my stripper pole shoes. :lol: I can't walk in them for shit, but they're very nice and padded, they're really designed to be a work shoe.

Bahaha work shoes! Never thought of them that way!

If that's an option for you I wouldn't bother either.

Yup, think that's where I'm at - they'll fine me whatever for some holes in the wall and some gunk in the oven and fridge, and that's all ok!

<3

<3!

This just adds to my list of things that seem awful about dating. :P 

Is the list available as a blog post anywhere? Lol.

11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I missed this... link, please? Always on the hunt for comfortable high heeled shoes. :)

4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I missed this... link, please? Always on the hunt for comfortable high heeled shoes. :)

Google Pleasers. I *think* they do have heels with sane heights that work for real life as well as the crazy exotic ones. As a point of reference for what crazy is - mine are 7 inches and those are considered pretty tame. :lol:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

now I need to figure out a delicate way to say "hey sorry, not available right now" to a *lot* of guys from various apps

you hot shit ;) 

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

you hot shit ;) 

200.gif

;) I realize in retrospect that typing that out was kinda a low-key humble brag - whoops!

Also, loving that I never know what weird left turn a thread will take, apparently this challenge I've provided the hot place  to research stripper heels. :lol:

Updates from yesterday:

• Teaching kids is still going well - I think I'm getting less and less self-conscious around them, especially the class I've had for a while, and feel like I'm able to just show up as myself on a given day; also, while working with my Latin class, I'm experimenting with how much I can just use my back (and maybe my feet) to let good (or at least good enough) technique fall into place while demonstrating basics for them; also feeling similarly better about my self-confidence and self-talk during the work day - even if I have to remind myself *often* that I have all the tools I need to succeed
  • Been doing a "bare minimum" sort of workout approach outside of the dance studio this week - maybe 20, 30 minutes tops in the morning, and just stuff I can either do in my apartment or at the little apartment complex gym. And I'm liking how I'm feeling, and maybe also seeing some slight, positive body comp changes (obviously, mostly mental at this point) - think it's going to be something I keep in my rotation for a while yet.
    • Today, it was Pilates (beginner level from my trusty ol' book) plus some Unbreakable Feet drills
    • Yesterday it was some pull-ups, planche variations, plyo push-ups, and DB curls - with some hanging knees to chest / bench reverse crunches for the ab burn
    • I think I'll keep alternating on work days, and depending on how I'm feeling maybe do one or the other on weekends as well - I'm curious to see if I notice a stronger feeling core and/or feet during dance practices this weekend or next from adding this back in
  • I made a protein / fruit smoothie for breakfast this morning and it was delish - think I'm gonna experiment with keeping it in my rotation for a couple weeks (I had been just doing a scoop of flavored powder in a shaker bottle with a banana on the side - this was a waaaaay better option!
  • Still weighing in at a relatively low weight - I'm hesitant to call what I'm doing a "cut" because I've had a sweet treat every day (scone tuesday, cookie yesterday) but at some point I guess I'm unintentionally cutting
  • Allergies are still the devil, but my regimen seems to be keeping them manageable enough for me to feel like a functioning human, if not necessarily a high-functioning one
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Really enjoying teaching my kids still, AND there's a potential additional teaching thing on the horizon with the local collegiate team - one of their coaches wanted to take a step back and only teach the Latin styles, so they're tentatively going to pull me in for ballroom (this same team can be heard cheering loudly on the video posted - they're already fans of me / my partner).

!!! Exciting! 

Aww, that's promising. :D 

ETA: Oh! And I'm now less than two weeks away from moving day (10 days, in fact) - can't believe how close it's come, so quickly! And it's a busy next two weeks at work, so I'm really experimenting with strategies to buckle down, stay focused, and get shit done!

Hahaha. MOVING IS A LOT, even with help. Gl gl gl gl. 

12 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Yesterday it was some pull-ups, planche variations, plyo push-ups, and DB curls - with some hanging knees to chest / bench reverse crunches for the ab burn

• I think I'll keep alternating on work days, and depending on how I'm feeling maybe do one or the other on weekends as well - I'm curious to see if I notice a stronger feeling core and/or feet during dance practices this weekend or next from adding this back in

I like this approach. :D

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, raptron said:

!!! Exciting! 

For sure! Love the unbridled enthusiasm of college kids - the world's just so fresh and new for them, and I'm looking forward to being a part of that (plus, giving back to collegiate ballroom dance, the system I came up in).

Aww, that's promising. :D 

24 minutes ago, JessFit said:

-yay for nerdy date guy!

:D

Hahaha. MOVING IS A LOT, even with help. Gl gl gl gl. 

-I feel your moving pains, good luck

Hahaha thanks y'all! I haven't really started doing much for the move (other than booking movers) so it doesn't feel all that real yet, but I'm sure shit will hit the fan soon enough and I'll believe it's really happening.

I like this approach. :D

:D me too, so far! It's helped me get over the hurdle of not having the time to do EVERYthing I want to do, which often leads to me doing NOthing rather than picking a nice happy middle ground.

-what did you put in your smoothie?

- Cup of milk and a couple handfuls of fresh baby spinach (leftover from meal prep, I'd probably switch to frozen in the future so I don't have to manage produce freshness)

- Half a frozen banana

- Unmeasured quantity frozen mixed berries (~1/2 cupish?)

- 1 scoop unflavored whey

- Dash of raspberry flavored syrup to punch up the berry flavor

Blended the spinach with the milk til it looked like the leaves were finely chopped, then dumped in the rest and blended again - quite easy and delish! I might experiment with throwing in some peanut or almond butter to add a touch of fat too, since I'm using low fat milk and the resulting smoothie is kinda missing a whole macro nutrient (and even though I *feel* like I'm heavy handed, the half n half in my coffee is maybe a full 2 Tbsp in total)

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

- Cup of milk and a couple handfuls of fresh baby spinach (leftover from meal prep, I'd probably switch to frozen in the future so I don't have to manage produce freshness)

- Half a frozen banana

- Unmeasured quantity frozen mixed berries (~1/2 cupish?)

- 1 scoop unflavored whey

- Dash of raspberry flavored syrup to punch up the berry flavor

Blended the spinach with the milk til it looked like the leaves were finely chopped, then dumped in the rest and blended again - quite easy and delish! I might experiment with throwing in some peanut or almond butter to add a touch of fat too, since I'm using low fat milk and the resulting smoothie is kinda missing a whole macro nutrient (and even though I *feel* like I'm heavy handed, the half n half in my coffee is maybe a full 2 Tbsp in total)

This does sound delicious!

Suggestion: Replace half or a third of the milk with half-n-half. There's your fat. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

This does sound delicious!

Suggestion: Replace half or a third of the milk with half-n-half. There's your fat. :)

Ooh, is that coming from your good advice or bad advice half? :P Regardless, gonna try that experiment tomorrow and see how it goes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Ooh, is that coming from your good advice or bad advice half?

From both of them, of course. :P

Good advice because it will make your smoothie more creamy and delicious. Bad advice because it'll get expensive in the long run.

• Haha 4

Alternative suggestion - my favorite smoothie addition is avocado. Fat + what it does to the texture is amazing! I learned this by accident once when I splurged on this pricy but convenient product

Note: this is probably not less expen$ive than Scalyfreak's suggestion.

Bonus recipe, to distract us all from stripper shoes for a moment: My version of McDevil's March classic "Shamrock Shake" = 8 oz. water + vanilla whey powder + 1/2 avocado + a few drops of peppermint extract. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, sorry about the allergies. Sinus stuff is the worst. But yay about ongoing nerdy guy dates! 

• Like 1