• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Just Barely Getting By

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

Alternative suggestion - my favorite smoothie addition is avocado. Fat + what it does to the texture is amazing!

As a recent and enthusiastic convert of avocado-based icecream substitutes, I completely believe this. I want to try this now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

You can do coconut milk too. It doesn't seem to affect the flavor a lot, but it adds a nice creaminess to it. :)

Ooh nice - gonna have to add that to the smoothie science experiment list! Do you use the canned stuff, or something out of a carton? Feel like I’ve seen multiple types of coconut milk at the store (I was planning to check fat content and let that guide me). :)

17 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

From both of them, of course. :P

Good advice because it will make your smoothie more creamy and delicious. Bad advice because it'll get expensive in the long run.

Hahaha fair enough! I tried a splash in my smoothie this morning and it was delish! I think I used ~2 Tbsp, but y’all KNOW I ain’t measuring stuff in the morning. Assuming that’s accurate, it’s costing me about $0.10 per morning extra once I start buying it by the quart from Trader Joe’s (I think it’s $3.29 for a quart of organic H&H, and they don’t have a non-organic option). Which is all to say, probably not too expensive, even if I start doubling it! $25-50 bucks a year for normal vs doubling assuming a smoothie every work morning. And yes, this is what a math and budgets nerd does for fun while sipping his breakfast.

12 hours ago, Gemma said:

Alternative suggestion - my favorite smoothie addition is avocado. Fat + what it does to the texture is amazing! I learned this by accident once when I splurged on this pricy but convenient product

Note: this is probably not less expen$ive than Scalyfreak's suggestion.

Bonus recipe, to distract us all from stripper shoes for a moment: My version of McDevil's March classic "Shamrock Shake" = 8 oz. water + vanilla whey powder + 1/2 avocado + a few drops of peppermint extract. 

I’d strip down to my underwear for that! To bring it right back to strippers! :P

But in all seriousness, I wouldn’t have even thought of avocado in smoothies! And you got that stuff frozen? Mr Frugal inside me is now scheming about buying bulk bags from TJ’s and opening / freezing as they turn ripe (bonus: another frozen ingredient going into the smoothie!). Definitely adding to the list of smoothie experiments to try!

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, sorry about the allergies. Sinus stuff is the worst. But yay about ongoing nerdy guy dates! 

Ya, they’re rough - but at least it’s a known cause! And it’s not totally getting in the way of spending time with people I care about (old or new friends).

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

As a recent and enthusiastic convert of avocado-based icecream substitutes, I completely believe this. I want to try this now.

Avocado ice cream? Call me skeptical, but brand? I’m still game to try it.

Deltas from yesterday:

• Late dance practice last night, applying the info from visiting guy - really focused on making everything truly partnered and WOW it made a difference in how things felt. Also had a lot of work on my end being aware where I was looking and making sure it was intentional, plus using my back to initiate and coordinate all actions - I’m sore today but it definitely had good effects in the moment, including some happy accident changes we made to make our routines feel like our own and not like they we’re dictated to us. :D
  • I still need to find ways to make deadlines for myself at work and hit them - I’m falling into a pattern of slacking a lot more than I really want to - and both my boss and I know that I’m capable of being more than just an acceptable performer, which is my current level of performance
  • Due to a late night last night, I decided to set no alarm for this morning and not force any sort of workout, not even a bare minimum one this morning; it feels like the right call because my energy level is relatively low and I’ve probably got at least 4 hours of dance this evening (rehearsing for a little show tomorrow, plus lesson / practice with my partner)
  • ”Cut” should maybe stop being in quotes; it’s admittedly coming off an anomalous high point, but my weekly change in 7-day weight average is down over a pound, which is pretty big for me starting at a lean-ish spot. This is a very chill cut though, I’m eating extra food whenever my body tells me it wants / needs it (like an extra bowl of cereal yesterday after practice) because I’m first and foremost an athlete who can’t let practices suffer.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:
  •  ”Cut” should maybe stop being in quotes; it’s admittedly coming off an anomalous high point, but my weekly change in 7-day weight average is down over a pound, which is pretty big for me starting at a lean-ish spot. This is a very chill cut though, I’m eating extra food whenever my body tells me it wants / needs it (like an extra bowl of cereal yesterday after practice) because I’m first and foremost an athlete who can’t let practices suffer.

Great mindset.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Avocado ice cream? Call me skeptical, but brand? I’m still game to try it.

Cado Avocado Ice Cream

The dark chocolate flavor is the only one I've tried so far, but it's the most richly creamy and decadent chocolate ice cream I have ever had... highly recommended for anyone who likes chocolate ice cream. :wub:

EDIT: Try it. That is good advice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Do you use the canned stuff, or something out of a carton? Feel like I’ve seen multiple types of coconut milk at the store (I was planning to check fat content and let that guide me)

I personally use the canned stuff; Taste of Thai and Thai Kitchen don't have a lot of additives (just guar gum) in them, and they're pretty easy to find, so that's what I usually get.

I also feel like I should clarify that I use the unsweetened stuff. The sweetened stuff I imagine tastes more like coconut, and may affect the flavor. (I love coconut, but it might not pair too well with certain other flavors.) I've seen people use watered-down coconut cream too, but have no experience with it in a smoothie. (Just one 'oops' of putting sweetened coconut cream in a curry. Bleah. 0/10 would not recommend, unless you like curried coconut cream pie.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I personally use the canned stuff; Taste of Thai and Thai Kitchen don't have a lot of additives (just guar gum) in them, and they're pretty easy to find, so that's what I usually get.

good advice! i realized my store brand (wegmans) canned coconut milks are also additive free. and cheaper. the carton stuff is way to watery for anything in my opinion.

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I also feel like I should clarify that I use the unsweetened stuff. The sweetened stuff I imagine tastes more like coconut, and may affect the flavor. (I love coconut, but it might not pair too well with certain other flavors.) I've seen people use watered-down coconut cream too, but have no experience with it in a smoothie. (Just one 'oops' of putting sweetened coconut cream in a curry. Bleah. 0/10 would not recommend, unless you like curried coconut cream pie.) 

oh noooo yes avoid the canned coconut milk that has a picture of a pina coloda on it :devilish:

unsweetened coconut cream is the fattiest but still a great option for curry, coffee, or smoothies. in cold coffee you might have to blend it a bit so it doesn't stay solid. though i've never complained about swigging my coffee and getting a delicious chunk of coconut cream :D 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Great mindset.

Thanks! Now I just need to actually live by it!

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Cado Avocado Ice Cream

The dark chocolate flavor is the only one I've tried so far, but it's the most richly creamy and decadent chocolate ice cream I have ever had... highly recommended for anyone who likes chocolate ice cream. :wub:

EDIT: Try it. That is good advice!

Oooh, I know what I need to look for on my target runs!

3 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Ok, good to know! I'll assume that the Trader Joe's brand doesn't have much in terms of additives either (yes, I'm like a walking billboard for Trader Joe's).

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

good advice! i realized my store brand (wegmans) canned coconut milks are also additive free. and cheaper. the carton stuff is way to watery for anything in my opinion.

oh noooo yes avoid the canned coconut milk that has a picture of a pina coloda on it :devilish:

unsweetened coconut cream is the fattiest but still a great option for curry, coffee, or smoothies. in cold coffee you might have to blend it a bit so it doesn't stay solid. though i've never complained about swigging my coffee and getting a delicious chunk of coconut cream :D 

Hahaha I'm actually not a huuuuuge fan of cream / creamy textures, past a certain point. I dunno if it was just the household I was raised in (Mom was pretty sparing in her use of cooking oil / fats in general) or if it's something about my body chemistry (I seem to thrive on higher carbs, lower fats as an athlete) but something I always am cognizant of is not replacing toooooo many of my yummy carbs with fats on any given meal or day. All that to say, coconut cream probably ain't happening, and I do LOVE the flavor my half n half gives my cold brew (though I'm trying to cut back on my buying cold brew habit by continuing to experiment with home options - picked up a bottle of concentrate from TJ's and plan to experiment with their cold brew coffee bags as well).

Ok, I think I've shirked enough today - time to log out of the work computer and off the forums for the weekend!

• Like 2

Ok, new challenge is up and going! Basic focuses - keep training, try to maintain smart routines at home and at work so that I keep my engine running amid another busy season (moving homes, travelling for a dance competition with the kids, taking a final exam, PRIDE weekend, and maybe hosting a housewarming party or two).

• Like 1