• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

18ck

18ck Goes On Two Legs, Wears Clothes and is a Human Being

Challenge Goals slightly different from the last one 

1. In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other. Choose blood. Or at less soup - in other words, eat paleo from now till the day before my race when I can put some carbs in my system. Added difficulty factors (1) No Nakd bars (2) Drink more than usual. Preferably not 100% coffee. 

2. I do want more. I am not content with being happy. I was not made for it. It is not my destiny. My destiny is the opposite. Run, jump, climb trees, do stuff every day. Long run 1 per week, short runs 2 per week, exercise twice per day. 

3. A wild longing for strong emotions and sensations seethes in me, a rage against this toneless, flat, normal and sterile life. Dropping the "no books" thing. I think that calls for a different kind of discipline that NF can't give me. Instead, I'll be trying to break a bad habit. I am a slightly weird person who does weird stuff all the time. Lately I have been doing this sort of odd thing, blowing out between pursed lips. Mostly this is just strange but I find i do it more, and in a louder, more ridiculous way when I'm running, which I wouldn't mind (5 decades on the clock and IDGAF) except that it disrupts my breathing. I don't pass our or anything but y'know, it's not helping my performance, so I'm going to make a conscious effort to stop doing that between now and race day. 

4. Bonus round: week ending 4/5/19 - The man of power is ruined by power, the man of money by money, the submissive man by subservience, the pleasure seeker by pleasure. This week is the week leading up to race day. I know I have to rest and let my muscles recover but I have a tendency to do one of two things. Either over train and do stuff anyway, or convince myself that I need to "graze on carbs" which translates as stuffing cake into my face with both hands for 6 days before the race. I will do neither of these things. Instead, find a plan to keep myself occupied and focused. Maybe doing light aerobic work - swimming say - in the early part of the week, maybe some balance work (slacklining?) and upper body stuff... I dunno. I need to read advice on this stuff, I think. After the race I'll have a couple of days off until after my birthday then get back to being spectacularly awesome. 

Your soul has fallen to bits and pieces. Good. Rearrange them to suit yourself.

• Like 10

When is race day, and how big of a race? I've never gone more then a 5k back in the day haha. Good luck with breaking the bad habit. Hopefully, you can get it done quickly before you get to the race

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tateman said:

When is race day, and how big of a race? I've never gone more then a 5k back in the day haha. Good luck with breaking the bad habit. Hopefully, you can get it done quickly before you get to the race

Thanks. It's a 10k race on the 4th. I booked it to have a target to work for before my bday. For my um.... 45th? I did a 5k on the birthday itself but this is the closest I could manage this time. I've done marathons in the past but never quite managed to run the full distance, and I'm forced to conclude that that's just too much running (I'm not a scout any more so I'm allowed to say that). My favourite ever was the Great North Run which is a very popular half marathon in the North of England, but apart from that 10 and 5k where you can afford to get a bit of speed on and sprint at the end is a more sensible distance. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, 18ck said:

Thanks. It's a 10k race on the 4th. 

Wait - I'm doing it on May the 4th? MAY. THE. FOURTH!!! 

I can feel a costume coming on. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 18ck said:

Make the race easier for yourself, just propel yourself along with the Force :D

• Like 6

7 hours ago, 18ck said:

YES! :)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 18ck said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Infinity.Creates said:

Make the race easier for yourself, just propel yourself along with the Force :D

13 hours ago, Tateman said:

YES! :)

5 hours ago, fleaball said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following in hopes of seeing a costume.

Uh-oh, I may have raised expectations... OK, I'll have to think about this. The full Darth Vader might not be helpful to my breathing... Hm... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Day -7

Rest day. No exercise but carried on eating sensibly. 

Day - 6

All paleo

Jogged to the post office and then home via some fartleks around the pond, got a good speed up and felt pretty good about it. 

While I was at it, I noticed myself doing the mouth thing a few times and did other things to stop myself. Like I think irs partly related to dry lips (hence more frequent while running) so I maybe need to think about drinking more or even (gawdelpus) using some sort of lip balm. 

• Like 6

I've seen lots of star wars runners costumes from the Disney run events they have. Some people go way crazy. 

I always felt weird whenever I have used lip balm. I just do care for the feeling I guess. Though I would just do it, if that is what helps :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 18ck said:

Uh-oh, I may have raised expectations... OK, I'll have to think about this. The full Darth Vader might not be helpful to my breathing... Hm... 

Slave Leia? Plenty of room to breathe.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Slave Leia? Plenty of room to breathe.

*chuckle* I'm not sure I can pull it off. I'm more of a Jabba at the moment. I'll have to do something though. 

• Like 4

Day -5

Paleo: yep. Also, potatoes, spudding it up like Rookie

Exercise: 136 push-ups spread over 5 sets. 

Mouthnonsense: drank more and that helped. Definitely caught myself doing it a few times tho. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, 18ck said:

Exercise: 136 push-ups spread over 5 sets

I'd actually intended to run last night but when I unpacked I found I'd left my shorts behind and it's more socially acceptable, if you're only wearing undercrackers, to do push-ups indoors instead of running outdoors. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Countess D'If said:

il_794xN.1254483757_5c6u.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZV3qRlT-INbPKXAkDWgY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKMjDM6jfu7tLsx7m-DNY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNh7dN0HqohnJHzHF6CRI

Oh yes indeed... This like an excuse for some online shopping... 

• Like 3

I would vote against a Wookie or Ewok costume for the race. That might get a bit hot.

However, you could do something like these (serious options here)

star-wars-dark-side-running-costume-guid

5543538d57e2b7a508cc3b554efed0df.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 1:10 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

I would vote against a Wookie or Ewok costume for the race. That might get a bit hot.

However, you could do something like these (serious options here)

Sorry to sound daft but I'm not even sure who the top one's meant to be... Death Star employee whose lack of faith is disturbing is my best guess but I'm not sure... 

I had a look at some star wars running t-shirts on amazon, ebay, etsy, and some looked pretty good but (a) most of the best ones are from the US and I'm not sure they'd reach me in time and anyway, (b) despite being billed as running shirts they seemed to be made of material that did not sound comfortable to run in. 

Hmm... 

• Like 2

Day... Wait, did I do one for Thursday? 

Day -4 

Not much. In fact just an hour or so of walking but that doesn't count. I'm a mammal. Mammals are supposed to walk. Yes whales, yes bats, even you. 

All paleo. 

Day - 3

Short, fast run and all paleo

Caught myself doing my weird repetitive habits and checked it. I'm definitely managing to keep myself reined in better than normal. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sigh.

FINE!

Top quality giffage! 

• Like 2

Hey, what happened to my day -2 update? 

Anyway, paleo - check apart from a blob of peanut butter. 

Ran 10k, not especially speedily but its all miles in the training bank. 

Made weird face noises on my bike but was pretty well under control while running. Am a big freak. 

• Like 5

Day - 1

Paleo: was offered and accepted a Cadbury's mini egg, from my daughter. Well, it's Easter. 

Exercise: proper river rowing (yippee!) followed by some dumbell rows to strengthen those muscles

Mouthfoolishness: I haven t thought about it all day so either I've been doing it unconsciously or not doing it at all. Hopefully the latter. 

• Like 4

Has getting more water been helping with the mouthfoolishness?

I miss eating all the Cadbury's. Maybe next year I'll have one ;)