• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leimanu

Leimanu

1. Keep a written food journal 4d/wk and include hunger level and emotion

2. Do identified task for the week from 4-week Nutrition Wellness plan

3. Continue with Les Mills Bodypump (at least 2x/wk, aim for 3), and one day of cardio/recovery

4. Update bullet journal

a bundle of tasks to keep on top of homework, the Artist's Way, and starting a blog

I've been away from the Boards for awhile, so in summary: 

I started an MBA last year and this year decided I wanted to align my work with my values and concentrate on studies so I took a leap and a net appeared and I resigned from my job (burnt out) when I took a Grad Assistant position at the University library (for the tuition assistance and 'cause Library) and previous job offered me a part-time position in something I'm more interested in so bye-bye benefits and now I'm a full-time part-timer but whatever because I gained a ton of weight from that job because I'm an emotional eater but I survived chronic depression and am much more capable and confident than I was 5 years ago and 2018 was the year of being Brave and 2019 is in full force as the year of Determination.

Image result for simply nailogical gif

• Like 7

Just now, Leimanu said:

Week 1 is to eat a serving of vegetables with oil and vinegar (identified deficiency, veg) with dinner (meal to "elevate").

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Leimanu said:

but I survived chronic depression and am much more capable and confident

I'm gonna bold this. Make it big. And plaster it everywhere. Cause this is what we are capable of. And you should be damn proud of your accomplishment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:25 PM, Leimanu said:

Keep a written food journal 4d/wk and include hunger level and emotion

I like this goal! Congratulations in advance on te insights it hopefully brings you. :) 

On 4/15/2019 at 9:25 PM, Leimanu said:

I survived chronic depression and am much more capable and confident than I was 5 years ago and 2018 was the year of being Brave and 2019 is in full force as the year of Determination.

HECK YES

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 7:37 AM, RedStone said:

giphy.gif 

See the source image

On 4/16/2019 at 11:56 AM, Grumble said:

I'm gonna bold this. Make it big. And plaster it everywhere. Cause this is what we are capable of. And you should be damn proud of your accomplishment.

THANK YOU so much!!  I truly feel accomplished and makes me believe I can take on new adventures!

On 4/17/2019 at 1:54 PM, JessFit said:

Wow, you're incredible! Here is to you and 2019 and the year of Determination! You've got this. 

See the source image

On 4/17/2019 at 5:34 PM, scalyfreak said:

I like this goal! Congratulations in advance on te insights it hopefully brings you. :) 

I learn a little quicker when writing.  Thanks for the support!

On 4/18/2019 at 11:48 AM, raptron said:

HECK YES

See the source image

Week 0 update

On 4/15/2019 at 9:25 PM, Leimanu said:

3. Continue with Les Mills Bodypump (at least 2x/wk, aim for 3), and one day of cardio/recovery

4. Update bullet journal

a bundle of tasks to keep on top of homework, the Artist's Way, and starting a blog

Oh Lord, I got sick at the end of this week.  Every day it's a little worse and now I'm a mouth breather, so that has messed a few goals up there's room to improve.

tumblr_lx37qeAg4I1qhy6c9o2_400.gif 

1. 2 days, & will try to get in this weekend.

- must do it the same day or all data is gone.

2. Have eaten serving of veg 2x.

- holy moly, basil olive oil + oregano balsamic vinegar is beautiful.

- illness really doesn't make a cold cucumber seem appetizing

3. Body pump: only Tuesday.  I'm in no state for for the gym.

- I just adore BodyPump.  The instructors are very positive, I love lifting to music, and I"m shocked that I love a group class.  It also feels therapeutic, like I've burned off a bunch of frustration.  I'm really bummed that I'm too ill.

4. Nope.

- I need to make a nighttime routine.  Right now, it's just "Fall asleep to random YouTube vids" and I"m missing out on some important data collection.

- I do the Morning Pages from the Artist's Way every time I work at the Library, so at least 3x/week and the tasks occasionally.  This weekend I'll do the Week 2 check-in.

- no creative work it

- Dammit Rachel, do you damn final paper and move on with your life!

"Artist Date" sort of things:

- I"m very proud of myself for KonMari'ing my kitchen yesterday: pulled out everything, sorted and threw away, put it all back, and even took doors off of two cabinets.  I made the dishes look nice and Mom arranged a string of lights.  The kitchen looks more open, feels happy, and I I look like I live at Ikea.

- Yo, I do this kind of stuff now. Thursday night was the full moon.  I put out a glass bottle of water and some gem stones to clear them with the energy of the full moon.  At the very least, I spent some time outside at night and the glass bottle looks very pretty on my dresser.

• Like 3

When there's so much tracking, it can be hard to keep everything updated.  So here's my all-in-one update.

Week 1 wrap up, April 22 - 28

On 4/20/2019 at 3:22 PM, Leimanu said:

4. Update bullet journal

1. 3x.

At some point, I've dropped the written journal and am using MyFitnessPal.  The written is till a great idea.

2. This week was about using your hand for measuring.  Carbs = cupped hand.  Protein  = palm.  The thumb= fat.

I got used to this, and it works pretty well.  I'm using this on the regular. 

3. exercise

I honestly didn't feel like myself from the illness until another week went by, so I didn't go for a whole week.

4. Bullet journal

70 min of movement

12 hour of homework

0 financial update

0 creative work

My kitty Comet & bullet journal

image.png.ea707374029a97f66de0a000f6f4910b.png

• Like 2

Just now, Leimanu said:

4. Update bullet journal

Week 2 wrap up, April 29 - May 5

1. food journal

7 days!  

That should be pretty good data; there were days of spot-on calorie deficit and a few of toooooooo much.

One huge issue I'm having is just being hungry all day. I thought eating whole foods would last longer. I should use the NF hive mind to help figure out balance.

2. This week we looked at our kitchens and made a list of red light, yellow light, and green light foods.  

Good news, I had lots of green light foods.

Bad news, all the red light foods are my diabetic father's.

3. exercise

1 BodyPump

1 cardio

4. Bullet journal

movement: 135 min

homework: 9:20 hour

financial update: 0

creative work: 0

Definitely having a hard time getting to the self-care and creative projects I was so looking forward to when I made a life change. Even though the one job is waaaaaaaay less stressful, and the position change in the other job is a muuuuuuch better fit for me, I'm still working about the same time with a 2day weekend.  I'm super enjoying it, but I haven't changed to a feel of nothing but time.

Omg, that's the most heart-breaking Twilight Zone episode....

See the source image

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 8:55 AM, JessFit said:

I love the Artist's Way! Looks like it was an ok week, even if you did get sick. Glad you're doing better. 

Have you gone through it?

I'm chugging along, but I find that I'm going much slower than one chapter a week.  Man, weeks fly by!  Even though I doing maybe 3-4 Morning Pages a week instead of 7, I think they're really super helpful.  

On 5/10/2019 at 9:33 PM, Leimanu said:

4. Update bullet journal

Week 3 wrap-up, May 6-12

1. Logged 5 days in MyFitnessPal

2. Monday 5/6 was the last class.  I remember a worksheet about eating 1c of fruit/veg the colors of the rainbow.  I think there were 6 colors. I haven't paid attention to that; just adding veg to meals and eating fruit as snacks.

3. Exercise

1 Les Mills, 1 weight, and i'll do 1 cardio at the gym tonight, so that equals 2 strength and i cardio, yay!

4. Update bullet journal

130 (out of 150) minutes of movement

13.5 (out of 15) hours of homework

1 session of financial updates

creative work: 4 days of morning pages, read Chs 4 and 5 of The Artist's Way and did a lot of exercises/tasks. 

I checked my weight this morning.  I actually lost weight. Like, real weight (not just remembered-to-pee-first or took-off-my-pj-pants-this-time). I had to sit with this for a couple minutes because I'm so used to tryingtryingtrying and weighing more.  For example, a few years ago I joined a free year-long program that had lots of support and focused on small habits, and I gained 10lb that year.  I'm so used to so giving so much effort only to gain. I yearned for even the little sign that new habits and effort made some kind of difference. So to be down even just a couple pounds since the start of the year, imperceptible to any one else, was a shock. I almost couldn't feel proud of myself because to be proud of a positive healthy change is such a foreign feeling.

On a complete different subject....yesterday, FINALLY!, I was in the gym alone!!!

image.png.dfb9f0ddbec52497f51db134baba0ab4.png

This week, I am doing the "Deprivation" exercise from Week 4 of the Artist's Way.  The author literally doesn't wan't the student to read anything. Well, that's not completely possible, so I adapted it to fit the purpose. The purpose is to get away from distractions and noise, so I'll basically cut out time wasting triggers like social media and TV and instead read or do other long-waiting projects. As I mentioned frequently in my Morning Pages, I feel a hefty guilt wasting massive amounts on time with YouTube.

1. No YouTube all week, Sun-Sat. 

2. No listening to music or podcasts. This means at both jobs (where it is allowed), in the car, or on walks.

--- It is allowed during workouts

3. No social media.  I banished the apps to the last window screen on my cell phone and did my best to turn off notifications. (they hide that choice!)

4. No TV/streaming services during breakfast/meals.

Allowed: reading books, school work, & posting on NF (since I never do that).

It feels too strict to work, but I made the decision yesterday to start today and surprisingly followed it along. It's so weird to drive to work with no music/podcast.  I carry my phone around with me in the morning as I eat breakfast and get ready. Today is my library job day, and this place is dead quiet, so it's weird to pass the time without music or walk around at lunch without something, but so far it's feeling OK.

...I do have a tab opened to hear an interview with Marie Kondo (my spirit animal). This is kind of a grey area. :) 

My Library job is on an older college campus with some gorgeous buildings, so I basically work at Hogwarts.

Image may contain: one or more people and eyeglasses

On 4/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, Leimanu said:

I survived chronic depression and am much more capable and confident than I was 5 years ago and 2018 was the year of being Brave and 2019 is in full force as the year of Determination.

This is excellent, well done! I am also working on the depression and confidence and bravery. 

6 hours ago, Leimanu said:

This week, I am doing the "Deprivation" exercise from Week 4 of the Artist's Way. 

I googled the artist's way because I was curious. It looks kind of interesting and I wouldn't mind knowing more. What sort of art/creativity are you using it for? Is it helping?

6 hours ago, Leimanu said:

I checked my weight this morning.  I actually lost weight. Like, real weight (not just remembered-to-pee-first or took-off-my-pj-pants-this-time). I had to sit with this for a couple minutes because I'm so used to tryingtryingtrying and weighing more.  For example, a few years ago I joined a free year-long program that had lots of support and focused on small habits, and I gained 10lb that year.  I'm so used to so giving so much effort only to gain. I yearned for even the little sign that new habits and effort made some kind of difference. So to be down even just a couple pounds since the start of the year, imperceptible to any one else, was a shock. I almost couldn't feel proud of myself because to be proud of a positive healthy change is such a foreign feeling.

Awesome. It sounds like you're focusing on healthful goals and habits rather than weight loss itself, which seems sensible. I just looked up body pump and it sounds tough! Are you enjoying it? 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

1.  This is excellent, well done! I am also working on the depression and confidence and bravery. 

2.  I googled the artist's way because I was curious. It looks kind of interesting and I wouldn't mind knowing more. What sort of art/creativity are you using it for? Is it helping?

3.  Awesome. It sounds like you're focusing on healthful goals and habits rather than weight loss itself, which seems sensible. I just looked up body pump and it sounds tough! Are you enjoying it? 

1.  Yooooooooooooo, good for you.  It's a tough and constant battle and it lasts a lifetime. I do have to say I learned from it.  I learned the importance of small steps every day, being patient and being forgiving of myself. A lot of coping skills feel really weird at first, but eventually, one day, a small something clicks.  Way to go!

2. The Artist's Way is a book/workbook. The author's goal is to help "recovering artists" work through all the reasons we think we shouldn't be creative.  Since we were created, we have an innate drive to create.  There's 12 chapters and it's laid out so you'd read one a week and do a couple exercises in them. She also wants you to write (just fill up with whatever) 3 pp a day.  That's weird at first, but it's to get past the inner critic of everything having to be correct the first time.  I've started a few times, but I'm determined to get through it this time, even if it takes me longer than 12 weeks, lol.  I do the 3-page exercise about 3x or 4x a week; haven't done  a full 7 days yet.  It's for any person wanting to be creative in any way, and I'm using it to get back into creative writing.

3. Thanks :) Healthy habits is the goal.  I can't believe I love Les Mills BodyPump.  A few years ago I was all about lifting heavy, 8 rep max, lone wolf working out, me vs the Oly bar, so I can't believe I. Love. BodyPump. So. Much. An exercise class that's all about high reps???  Who even am I???  The teachers at my gym are really supportive and are just happy to have people there and I love lifting to music.  I probably use the least amount of weight of anyone in the class, and sometimes no weight - but I have the best form!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leimanu said:

This week, I am doing the "Deprivation" exercise from Week 4 of the Artist's Way.  The author literally doesn't wan't the student to read anything. Well, that's not completely possible, so I adapted it to fit the purpose. The purpose is to get away from distractions and noise, so I'll basically cut out time wasting triggers like social media and TV and instead read or do other long-waiting projects. As I mentioned frequently in my Morning Pages, I feel a hefty guilt wasting massive amounts on time with YouTube.

1. No YouTube all week, Sun-Sat. 

Three Hours Later......

As I listened to the Marie Kondo interview, I wandered into the PvP area, a place I never go, and read through a thread of a few people doing C25K. Well dammit if  didn't want to as well.  Damn this burgeoning creativity and lustful want of life.  I downloaded the app immediately to do at the gym after work. Then I thought, "I'm fat and that's a lot of repetitive motion. I should learn the correct form."  Where's the quickest place to learn that? YouTube. I watched a couple videos while I "read shelves" at the Library to finish up the day.

Looking up form was a good idea.  C25K, Week 1, Day 1, complete.

Then I stretched a little too long so I could keep watching whatevs on YouTube.

Then I ate dinner in front of the TV, but really I was talking to my parents and not paying attention.

Right now I'm sitting in my room, kitchen wiped up, lunch and coffee ready for tomorrow, kitty cozy on the blanket, and no music.  Idk about the no music thing.  Music is really important to me.  I may ask Alexa for suggestions.

"Reading shelves" means looking at every book and making sure they're in order by their system number.  Academic libraries follow the Library of Congress's way, so I don't think this is the Dewey Decimal System.  I started this weekend and only have this many + the stacks on the other side of the wall to go....

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leimanu said:

1.  Yooooooooooooo, good for you.  It's a tough and constant battle and it lasts a lifetime.

Indeed. Onward we go. 

2. The Artist's Way is a book/workbook. The author's goal is to help "recovering artists" work through all the reasons we think we shouldn't be creative. 

Oooh, this sounds good. Often I have this irrational aversion/fear around starting my writing or sketching for the day. 

A few years ago I was all about lifting heavy, 8 rep max, lone wolf working out, me vs the Oly bar, so I can't believe I. Love. BodyPump. So. Much. An exercise class that's all about high reps???  Who even am I??? 

Haha. That's hard for me to imagine at the moment. I'm rep-phobic and prefer my workouts in the 3-5 range. But then again, a couple of years ago I would never have guessed lifting weights was for me. Yay for discovering new loves :) 

As I listened to the Marie Kondo interview, I wandered into the PvP area, a place I never go, and read through a thread of a few people doing C25K. Well dammit if  didn't want to as well.  Damn this burgeoning creativity and lustful want of life.  I downloaded the app immediately to do at the gym after work.

Love your enthusiasm :) 

• Like 1

I am jealous of Hogwarts and your work in an academic library. I used to work in an academic library and miss it, it was peaceful. Hope the new job is going well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leimanu said:

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Throw in a bottle of good wine, some strawberries and dark chocolate, and happy dogs and cats, and this is my idea of heaven. Jealous! :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JessFit said:

I am jealous of Hogwarts and your work in an academic library. I used to work in an academic library and miss it, it was peaceful. Hope the new job is going well. 

Really???

I'm loving it, too.  It's really peaceful.  People go there to do mindful work, or to escape. Reading shelves is a headache, but it takes me forever because I stop to explore the books.

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Throw in a bottle of good wine, some strawberries and dark chocolate, and happy dogs and cats, and this is my idea of heaven. Jealous! :)

Girl. Yes.  House goals is to have a room like this, full of pets!

• Like 1

Ignoring the phone went well.

Driving around without music is weird, but it also feels like a break. 

Lunch was weird with nothing to distract me, so I read a Women's Day magazine from 2012. It was the 75th anniversary issue.

Then when it was time for supper, I didn't want to eat in silence so I watched just one John Wolfe vid on YouTube.  Super enjoyable. Then the next automatically played while I logged food and prepped for tomorrow. Then I had YT on my phone while getting ready for bed.  Then just plain fell down the tarot reading hole. This has gone on for at least an hour.

BodyPump was great. Used a little more weight today.

• Like 3