• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shotokan

Shotokan turns it around

I could come up with some good excuses for not ending the last challenge as planned but I cannot get that time back so it's time focus on the present and not the past.

Kata - 100 Shotokan katas per week and 30 Iaido katas per week

With only three months left until the tournament, the kata focus needs to be serious and at the top of the list. 

Core work - 5 times per week

My Karate has improved with the core work I have been doing over the last two weeks and I need to keep it up.  I consider core more than only abs so glutes, torso and legs are part of what I call core.

Other - as much or as little as I can do after the top two goals

DDP, weights, band work or flexibility training will fit in here if I have the energy.

Blog posts - One a week

I have been very far behind on my blog posts and setting the bar low on this might help raise it higher.

Shotokan Kata - 0 / 400

Iaido Kata - 0 / 120

Core work - 0 / 20

Other - 0 / open

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 2

Week zero day two:

Today's workout was Karate class and I ended up getting in 12 katas.  Lots of kicks and other stuff but I was really relaxed for a change.  Normally, I am tight and stiff but today everything was smooth and flowing pretty well.

• Like 1

Week zero day four:

15 katas again, the core workout and one iaido Kata.  Felt pretty good but not a hard workout either.

Week zero day five:

15 more katas and one iaido kata.  Long day at work really tired me out but I had to get in my workout and I did.

• Like 1

Week zero day six:

15 more katas, the core workout and 12 Iaido katas.  It was an active with many steps and a few hours waxing a car.

• Like 1

Week zero day seven:

15 more katas, one Iaido kata and the core workout ends the week.  I'm a little bit behind on the Iaido katas but I guess the challenge really hasn't started yet. 

• Like 1

Week one Day one:

And it begins.  Today's workout went really well even though I had a tough day at work.  All 15 katas felt good and I didn't notice any slowdown or power dropping on any of them.  Five Iaido katas followed along with my core workout.   Today is day 23 in a row of working out and doing katas each day.  I am trying to get my body to see these workouts as a normal daily activity and so far so good.  Oddly, I dropped about five pounds since I started.  I haven't tried to drop the weight but it seems to be hovering at 196-197 lbs even though my legs and hips are growing.

Shotokan Kata - 15 / 400

Iaido Kata - 5 / 120

Core work - 1 / 20

Other - 0 / open

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Out of curiosity, are you practicing a particular iaido ryu?  

It's called Kashima Shinto-ryu.  I don't know a lot about the history but I read that it was founded by Tsukahara Bokuden.

Week one day two:

Today was a good training day.  Karate class went well but it was a tough one and I was able to get in my 15 katas.  I also got in some late night pot luck training with some band work and a little kettlebell fun.  

Shotokan Kata - 30 / 400

Iaido Kata - 5 / 120

Core work - 1 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shotokan said:

It's called Kashima Shinto-ryu.  I don't know a lot about the history but I read that it was founded by Tsukahara Bokuden.

Cool!   Are you learning the full ryu, or just the iai section?   If our ryu had an iai/batto scroll, it was lost a long time ago (same with the paired tachi, sadly)

6 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Cool!   Are you learning the full ryu, or just the iai section?   If our ryu had an iai/batto scroll, it was lost a long time ago (same with the paired tachi, sadly)

It's mostly the full ryu with cutting and some application but the majority of training is iai.   We only cut a few times over the years when I training full time but it was a requirement for Shodan and above.

Week one day three:

I was really sore from class yesterday but I had to train.  16 Shotokan katas, 10 Iaido katas and the core workout was done.

Shotokan Kata - 46 / 400

Iaido Kata - 15 / 120

Core work - 2 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Teirin said:

Hot bath help any?  Maybe some epsom salts?

That sounds really good but my time is really limited.   Maybe on the weekend.  I miss those epsome salt baths.  

• Sad 1

Week one day four:

15 Shotokan katas, five Iaido katas and the core workout.  I was a lot less sore today and the workout went pretty well overall.

Shotokan Kata - 61 / 400

Iaido Kata - 20 / 120

Core work - 3 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

Week one day five:

15 Shotokan katas, 1 Iaido kata and the core workout.  I was trying to talk myself into a day off today but a little voice in my head said get off your lazy ass and I did.

By the way, Cobra Kai season 2 is now on Youtube Red and that's going to finish my Friday night or i guess Saturday morning now.

Shotokan Kata - 76 / 400

Iaido Kata - 21 / 120

Core work - 4 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

Week one day six:

I had a Chiropractic adjustment and I didn't want to mess up what was fixed up so it was only a kata day.  20 Shotokan katas and five Iaido katas was all for the day.

Shotokan Kata - 96 / 400

Iaido Kata - 26 / 120

Core work - 4 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 0 / 4

Week one day seven:

Today was back to normal with some extra stuff added to my core workout but there was still a lot Karate training going in.  15 Shotokan katas, five Iaido katas and the core workout with some goblet squats added at the end.  I really need to get my squat lower and I think adding the goblet squats will be the best way to do it.   I finally published a blog post today and it explains the core workout I have been doing for the last few weeks if anyone is interested.  http://www.fitness4kicks.com/2019/04/29/getting-to-core-of-things/

Shotokan Kata - 111 / 400

Iaido Kata - 31 / 120

Core work - 5 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 1 / 4

• Like 2

Week two day one:

Today was more kata and core.  I am a little sore from something, maybe the rain or the weather change, I guess.  15 Shotokan katas, one Iaido kata and the core workout.  The katas are starting to feel better and my stances are starting to get lower and lower.  I still have a good amount of work to do before the tournament but it's starting to come around. 

Shotokan Kata - 126 / 400

Iaido Kata - 32 / 120

Core work - 6 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 1 / 4

• Like 1

Week two, day two;

Today was Karate class with lots of hip work including knee strikes but only a couple katas.  At home, 10 Shotokan katas and one Iaido kata finished out the day.  Walking is not on my list of things to do as of now.

Shotokan Kata - 138 / 400

Iaido Kata - 33 / 120

Core work - 6 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 1 / 4

• Like 1

Week two day three:

I really didn't want to workout today.  My legs are sore, my left knee is sore along with my right arm.  It wasn't my best day at work and I had an issue right before I left so I have enough excuses to take a day off but if I did, I could never get this chance to train today again.  I got up off my lazy butt and did my workout anyway.  It might have not been the best workout but it was good enough and I was able to fine tune a couple kata techniques that I have been trying to improve. 

18 Shotokan katas, 10 Iadio katas, the core workout and some extra work with my bands.  I'm still sore but hopefully the workout today will make me a little less sore tomorrow.

Shotokan Kata - 156 / 400

Iaido Kata - 43 / 120

Core work - 7 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 1 / 4

• Like 1

Week two day four:

Today was almost opposite of yesterday.  I wanted to workout tonight and I did but something was off.  My balance wasn't too good and even though my stance were low, I felt like my muscles were fighting the movements. 

12 Shotokan katas, two Iaido katas and the core workout.  I think I need to find time from some DDP this weekend.

Shotokan Kata - 168 / 400

Iaido Kata - 45 / 120

Core work - 8 / 20

Other - 1 / open

Blog posts - 1 / 4