• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cardinal_22

Back to Basics

The CrossFit Open is finally over, and I've identified a whole slew of weaknesses.  I think I've been focusing so much on reaching the summit that I've forgotten to work on the foundation.  I need to remedy this problem.  Between that and a busy schedule with my job, my work is cut out for me.  Goals are:

1.  Handstand Work:  My open score really suffered due to the fact that I STILL don't have a single strict handstand pushup.  Rather than spending my time perfecting skills that I already have, I need to address this shortcoming, and hit it hard.  I will spend a significant amount of time each week working on shoulder strength and flexibility, and spending time on my hands (to wit: this means upside down).

2.  Food:  Between the open being over and going on vacation, I've been getting sloppy about my eating.  I need to clean this up.  I will focus on whole foods, especially protein and vegetables.  I will bring lunch to work every day, if at all possible.

3.  The 'Murph':  The 'Murph' is an annual American CrossFit tradition that takes place on Memorial Day.  It involves the following:

Part 1:  run 1 mile

Part 2:  (in any order you like)

100 pull-ups

200 push-ups

300 air squats

Part 3:  run 1 mile

To make things more interesting, the Murph should be performed in combat boots, and while wearing a 20 lb vest.  While I don't own combat boots, I have done the event in a vest in both 2017 and 2018.  This isn't really a competition, but it does require a bit of prep work.  (100 pull ups in a vest, anyone?  Ugh).  I will spend some time training for this.

• Like 3

me trying to do handstands is like......

(Oh never mind, Tapatalk is playing silly buggers and won’t post the Gif) *le sigh*

• Like 1

Week 0, Day 1:  Continuing where I left off during my last challenge thread, I spent most of last week in Montreal, Canada.  It was a really fun trip.  We stayed in Old Montreal, very near the river.  There's a ton of historical buildings down there, lots of shopping, McGill University, restaurants, and construction.  There was still snow on the ground, and in fact, it snowed the first night we were there.  I swear, everyone in Canada smokes, too.  And not just tobacco.  =P  

There were a lot of highlights from the trip, but one of my favorites was climbing Mont Royal, the hill in the middle of the city and the landmark that Montreal is named after.  There was also a lot of good dinners there.  But my favorite was, sadly, a classic Canadian lunch:  poutine, a smoked meat sandwich, and a beer.

I got back just in time to cheer on a few of my friends who qualified (by lottery) for MACC, the Mid Atlantic Crossfit Challenge, which is one of the 16 sanctioned competitions.   

I did Monday's workout before actually writing up my challenge, so it doesn't quite match with my goals.  More importantly, I had been off for almost a week - so I pretty much died in the end.  I also ripped just about every callus off my hand.  But it was a good workout.  Then I went home and collapsed.  Had grilled salmon for dinner with asparagus and rice.  Crackers for a snack (I'm out of dried fruit).  Workout is below.

CrossFit

A.  3 rounds of 90s on / 15s off:   <-- goal is continuous movement, no stopping

Burpee Box Jumps (24" / 20")

KB Swings (I did 35 lbs)
DB Snatches (I did 30 lbs DB)

Wall Balls (I used a 14 lb ball)

B.  For Time:

7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Sumo Deadlift (285 lbs / 205 lbs)

Bar Muscle Up

I got 13:02, Rx

Week 0 Summary:  Hi everyone!  Sorry for disappearing off the face of the planet.  I usually write posts every morning as soon as I get to work, but I've been so busy over the last week that I haven't had a chance to update.  I assure you that I have been working out... I just haven't documented it (yet).  I'll do my best to post the highlights.  Sorry, no bloopers reel.  =)

Tuesday:  Handstand class.  I spent 45 minutes before class working on bridge pushups, partial strict HSPUs, and HSPU negatives.  Afterwords my upper back and especially rear deltoids were ridiculously sore... pretty much until the end of the week.

Wednesday:  My gf has been camping in the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, so I have been coming home early to let the dog out.  Which means no powerlifting this week.  Just CrossFit.  My toe has also really been bothering me (from the last challenge thread, here).  So I finally bit the bullet and got it xray'd.  Good news:  it's not broken.  Just badly bruised.  Today's workout is below.  Sadly, there wasn't really any HSPU-type work in there.  I'll have to pick it back up next week when my gf is back and I have a bit more time.

A.  Clean pulls
3 x 45, 95, 135 lbs warmup.  Then
3 x 90% (175 lbs), 3 sets
3 x 95% (185 lbs), 3 sets
2 x 98% (190 lbs), 3 sets
2 x 100% (195 lbs), 3 sets

B.  15 min AMRAP
24 alt lunge into DB/KB Deadlift (55 / 35)
18 bike cal
12 alt twisting T2B

I got 3 + 2, Rx
Used 53 lb KBs

Thursday:  I had a 30 minute stretch/strength session, followed by rings class.  As usual, it kicked my butt.  But I did hit a PR - two strict ring MUs in a row.  Video is here.  It's actually part of an unbroken sequence of two strict ring MUs, two ring dips, and two false grip ring pull-ups.

Friday:  I got my tax return check back.  Sadly, Uncle Sam decided my refund was too big and cut it almost in half.  They will send an "explanation" in the mail in a few weeks.  Jerks.  =(  Today's workout was a real leg-burner.  The unbroken full cleans in part B were brutal.  Details are below.

A.  Back Squat (using a lower max, 250)
Warmup with 5 x bar, 135 lbs.
5 x 75% (185 lbs)
4 x 80% (200 lbs)
3 x 85% (210 lbs)
3 x 88% (220 lbs) belt on here
2 x 90% (225 lbs)
1 x 92% (230 lbs), 2 sets

B.  For Time: (20 min Timecap)
7 Rounds of
6 Unbroken Full Squat Cleans, 60%
12 box jump (24 / 20)
18 Russian KB Swings (70 / 53)

I got 6 + 16, Rx at 120 lbs

Saturday:  I usually don't post for the weekends, but I got up at the crack of dawn and mulched in my entire backyard.  Went to core & flexibility class after that, followed by a 30 minute stretch session, followed by fixing my backyard downspout and topped off by mowing the lawn.  Needless to say, I'm wiped out.  At least it was a beautiful day outside.

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 1:  OK, I'm pretty much caught up with this thread now.  My gf is back in town, so I'm resuming my regular workout schedule.  I lifted for an hour (legs), followed by an hour of CrossFit.  We did split jerks today, which is one of my worst lifts because jerks put an enormous strain on my back.  However, it went quite well.  The key to jerking heavy is keeping a wide stance.  Sadly, as the weight gets heavy, I tend to stop flaring my feet.  Today was an exception.  I calculated my max off 175 lbs (slightly over my bodyweight), and hit all four at 90%, with good foot position.

I didn't do any specific HSPU training today, but I think the split jerks and high volume push press translates over pretty well.

After lifting, I met my gf at the Biergarten Haus for a Polish holiday I've never heard of called Dyngus Day.  The celebration consisted of a performance by a live Polka band while people in the crowd beat me with a pussy willow branch and shot me with a squirt gun.  They bar also had traditional food specials of perogies, kielbasa,  potato salad, sauerkraut, Polish beer... and jelly doughnuts.  It was... uh... interesting.  =S

For the record, the workout is listed below.

A.  Front Squat
5 x bar, 95, 135 lbs.  Then
5 x 165 lbs
3 x 185 lbs   [belt on here]
3 x 190 lbs
1 x 195 lbs
1 x 200 lbs

B.  Back Squat (no belt)
10 x 135 lbs
10 x 145 lbs
10 x 155 lbs
10 x 165 lbs
10 x 175 lbs

Then did metcon here:

C.  Split Jerk
3 x bar, 75, 95 lbs warmup.
3 x 70% (125 lbs), 2 sets
2 x 83% (145 lbs)    [belt on here]
1 x 90% (160 lbs), 4 sets

D.  4 Rounds (20 min Timecap)
20 Push Press at 40% (70 lbs)
20 Hand Muscle Cleans
20 Cal Row

I got 13:32, Rx

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 2:  Typical Tuesday.  There's not much to report.  I spent 30 minutes working on bridge push-ups, partial HSPUs, and HSPU negatives, followed by an hour of handstand class.  We made Indian food for dinner tonight:  chicken vindaloo and cauliflower masala, served with jasmine rice and garlic naan.  All is good in the world.  =)

• Like 2

I think they just made up that holiday as an excuse to use squirt guns!:smile-new: You get so much done in your workouts, I'm impressed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think they just made up that holiday as an excuse to use squirt guns!:smile-new: You get so much done in your workouts, I'm impressed

Thank you!!!  =)

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 3:  Really busy day at work again.  I hope it's not like this all summer.  =( 

I put in an hour of weightlifting after work, followed by an hour of CrossFit.  We did an interesting drill known as "Tall Cleans".  The idea is to start all the way up on your toes, in a full shrug, so that you have nowhere to go except down.  Then, pull yourself under the bar as fast as possible into a full squat clean.  After 12 minutes of this drill, we moved on to high hang squat cleans while continuing to emphasize speed under the bar.  To say that it worked would be an understatement.  It's never felt so easy to get under the bar.  Standing up after that is another story...  but hey.  =)

I am starting to think about the "Murph", an annual American CrossFit tradition that takes place on Memorial Day.  It involves the following:

Part 1:  1 mile run

Part 2:  (in any order you like)

100 pull-ups

200 push-ups

300 air squats

Part 3:  1 mile run

To do the workout properly, you also have to wear combat boots and a 20 lb weighted vest.  I don't own combat boots, but I did wear an old vest both last year and 2017.  To say that it is uncomfortable would be an understatement - the vest slides up and pushes against my neck when I use it, so that I have to physically hold it down while I'm running.  Ugh.  So I finally decided to splurge and buy myself a nicer vest, one that gets used in competition by the pros.  It should arrive early next week.  I'll be incorporating it into my training soon after that.  I also edited my goals for this challenge to include the Murph.

Dinner tonight was a Vietnamese style seafood medley that we made in the hotpot, with salmon, scallops, and shrimp.  Served with rice and Brussels sprouts on the side.

Workout:

A.  Front squat (no belt)
5 x bar, 95, 135 lbs warmup.
5 x 160 lbs, 5 sets

B.  Back squat
5 x 135 lbs
4 x 165 lbs
3 x 195 lbs
2 x 225 lbs, 3 sets [Belt on here]

C.  Strict press (no belt)
5 x 45, 65, 75, 85, 95 lbs.  Then
1 x 105, 110, 115, 120 lbs

CrossFit:

D.  12 min, OTM
2 tall cleans (I did 85 lbs)
Then
10 min build to max high hang clean
I hit a beautiful 175 lb clean, but got stuck at bottom.  =(  Hit 2 at 165 lbs.

E.  For time:
9 - 7 - 5 - 3
Power Clean & Jerk (185 / 125 lbs)
Weighted strict pull up (45 / 25 lbs)

Advice was 65%. So I scaled to 125 lbs / 26 lbs KB, which is basically the Women's Rx weight.  I got 10:07.  Probably could have gone a bit heavier.

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 4:  Training is really starting to pick up.  I ran 2.5 miles over the lunch hour.  After work, I spent 1 hour working on bridge pushups and some handstand work, followed by 1 hour of rings class.  We did ring handstand pushups today, which were really interesting.  There were three setups:  one with a 50-50 belt that takes out half of your weight, one with a green rogue band tied to a beam on the ceiling to take out a bunch of weight, and a third station where we did full body weight, but in a pike position instead of a proper handstand.  I was able to get 7-10 reps on the first two with no additional assistance.  The pike station was a no-go.  =(

Finally, after I got home, my gf wanted to go jogging and run sprints, so I did some of that too.  We went about 2 miles.  Needless to say, I'm pretty wiped out.

I decided that if I'm going to do the Murph this year, I really need to go all out.  So I bit the bullet and got a tactical military dog harness for Sookie, my gf's 10 lb cream-colored Maltese-poodle mix.  She is going to look like a bad-ass.  I also got her a nametag and a flag patch.  Everything will be here in two weeks.  I'll post pics.  =)

Dinner tonight was homemade pizza with a salad.

53 minutes ago, Cardinal_22 said:

I decided that if I'm going to do the Murph this year, I really need to go all out.  So I bit the bullet and got a tactical military dog harness for Sookie, my gf's 10 lb cream-colored Maltese-poodle mix.  She is going to look like a bad-ass.  I also got her a nametag and a flag patch.  Everything will be here in two weeks.  I'll post pics.  =)

Dinner tonight was homemade pizza with a salad.

What is “the murph”?  I know there’s a CrossFit WoD called Murph, but that doesn’t require a dog as far as I know... :D 

14 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

What is “the murph”?  I know there’s a CrossFit WoD called Murph, but that doesn’t require a dog as far as I know... :D 

It's probably the same Murph you are thinking of.  No dog required.  In fact, Sookie would probably keel over if I made her run a mile.  But I want to make sure she looks good while she is spectating.  =)

30 minutes ago, Cardinal_22 said:

It's probably the same Murph you are thinking of.  No dog required.  In fact, Sookie would probably keel over if I made her run a mile.  But I want to make sure she looks good while she is spectating.  =)

Haha!  I thought it must be some kind of event, a fundraiser or something where you (and your dog, obvs) both have to compete :D:D:D 

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 5:  Long day at work followed by a hard day at the gym.  TGIF.  I did an hour of weightlifting (volume squats) followed by a CrossFit workout that turned out to be (surprise!) a leg workout.  Ugh.  The lactic acid buildup was pretty crazy.   After all of that, I met my gf and a bunch of her friends at the ballpark for my first baseball game of the season.  In theory, it should have been a great time.  But I didn't plan for the weather very well.  After raining, it dropped to about 50 F that evening, with some pretty strong gusts of wind.  I was wearing a thin short sleeved shirt.  Needless to say, I froze my a$$ off.  

I had a bonus workout on Saturday: I went to a core & flexibility class, which was nice to get some of the soreness out of my legs.

For the record, the workout is here:

A.  Front squat (no belt)
5 x bar, 95, 135 lbs warmup.  Then
5 x 165 lbs, 5 sets

B.  Back squat (no belt)
10 x 135 lbs, 5 sets

(CrossFit metcon here)

C.  3 rounds of 2 min on / 45 s off  (Conversational pace, no stopping)

20 cal bike
Max burpees

-----------

30 cal row
Max wall balls

-----------

40 alt KB lunges
Max American KB swings

D.  Metcon
21 - 15 - 9
OH Squat (155 / 115 lbs)
T2B

I got 8:39, OHS scaled to 95 lbs.

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 1:  Over the weekend, my weighted vest (and Sookie's tactical military dog harness) arrived.  Still waiting for the name tags.  The rest is here.  It looks really bad-ass.  I hope to start training with it tomorrow.  I went to my CrossFit gym and did the usual stuff today, but I switched the order.  I was worried that I'd have another leg burnout day, similar to Friday, if I lifted first.  Interestingly, I came in first place for the day among all the Rx athletes during the metcon (Part B), at least through the 5:30 PM class.  That's unusual.  It was a real sprint to the finish, too.  I finished the 30 deadlifts well behind the first two people but somehow managed to catch them on the run.  I blame my long legs. They aren't very good for lifting, but they really help when it comes to running fast.  =)

Workout:  (CrossFit first)

A.  Clean deadlift
4 x 105% (205 lbs), 2 sets
3 x 112% (220 lbs)
2 x 115% (225 lbs), 2 sets
2 x 120% (235 lbs), 2 sets

B.  For Time:   <-- Top Score for the Day among Rx Athletes (thru the 5:30 PM class)
30 deadlifts at 150% / 125% BW
Run 1 mile

I did 255 lbs, Rx.  Weighed in at 169 lbs.  Final time 8:53, Rx.  First place for day (so far)

C.  Front Squat
5 x bar, 95 lbs.  Then
5 x 145 lbs, 10 sets

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 2:  As promised, I went running over the noon hour with my new 20 lb plate carrier.  I ran about 2 miles (about 1.75+ or so).  I think I'm keeping the same pace I would normally do without weight, but I got tired really fast.  It really hits you in the legs and the core.  The nice thing about this plate carrier is that it stays down when I run, so that I don't need to physically hold onto it with my hands while I"m moving.  This is a big plus over my older weighted vest. 

Later that evening I spent 30 minutes working on handstand pushups, followed by an hour of handstand class - we focused mostly on handstand walks.  To illustrate the progress of my strict HSPUs, I filmed myself doing one.  As you can see from the video, I'm so close that I can taste it... and it tastes like sweaty feet and toe fungus.  Although considering where my head is, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  For the record, what you see on video does not count as a valid rep.  My head doesn't actually touch the ground.

I realized that I forgot to mention dinner last night:  I was on my own, so I grilled up some boneless pork chops, served with yellow squash.  Snacked on fresh blueberries, which are FINALLY coming into season.  Tonight my gf and I went out for sushi, mostly because the fridge was empty and we were both pretty hungry.  Stopped at the grocery store after dinner, so that we can get back to cooking.  I would also note that the grass pollen is starting to get bad, so I went back on my allergy meds last night.  Right now I'm only doing the nose spray.  I'm interested to see how long this works before I have to get onto Claritin.

Week 2, Day 3:  Wow, I'm sore from yesterday.  Mostly in my upper back, around my shoulder blades.  Today's workout format was much like Monday:  I decided to CrossFit first and lift second.  The CrossFit part went quite well.  We did back squats for the strength portion.  Last time I did them, I sandbagged my max down to 250 lbs for the calculation.  Today I also sandbagged, but a little bit less... only down to 260 lbs.  (I'm doing this because I haven't done much powerlifting since November and I highly doubt I could hit my normal 1 RM of 285 lbs).  I was still able to hit all three reps at 95% without too much difficulty.  I may need to bump it up again next week.  After the metcon, I worked on strict presses to help out with the HSPU progression.  I got in a good bit of volume, which felt nice.

Dinner tonight was Asian style "marinated" burgers on the grill.  We mixed the ground beef with a pretty potent mixture of liquids and spices.  Served it with a salad.  I snacked on fresh blueberries after dinner.

For the record, today's workout is here:

A.  Back squat [based on 260 lb max, round down]
3 x bar, 135, 185 lbs warmup.  Then
3 x 80% (205 lbs) [belt on here]
2 x 85% (220 lbs)
1 x 88% (225 lbs)
1 x 95% (245 lbs), 3 sets

B.  For Time:

18-15-12-9-6-3
Deadlift at 40% (170 lbs)
T2B
Row calories

Note: I rounded DL weight up.  I got 11:12, Rx.

Then, some weightlifting:

C.  Strict press [no belt]
5 x bar, 55, 65, 75, 85, 95 lbs.  Then
5 x 100 lbs, 3 sets
3 x 105 lbs, 2 sets
1 x 110 lbs, 3 sets
1 x 115 lbs, 3 sets
1 x 120 lbs, 1 set
F x 125 lbs.

• Like 1

Sounds like things are going well.  You're doing great!  Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 4:  Still really sore, especially in the upper back.  I was able to squeeze  in another noon hour run with the plate carrier.  I managed to go a little bit further than before, but still just under 2 miles.  It is amazing to me how difficult it is to run with added weight.  I have a newfound respect for people who run to lose weight.  =)

After work I had a 30 minute stretch session, followed by an hour of rings.  Dinner was homemade fish tacos... which was pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.  =)  Snacked on fresh blueberries.

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 5:  I'm very ready for this week to be over.  CrossFit today was a beach-body bro-style workout.  Given my already-aching upper body, it left me completely laid out on the floor.  Dinner was date night with my gf; we had cajun-style seafood at Chasin' Tails.  Between the two of us, we ate 2 lbs of head-on shrimp and 1 lb of crawfish, along with Anduille sausage, corn on the cob, red potatoes, and of course, beer.  =)

I put in a bonus workout on Saturday that included a bunch of leg work and core work.  Glad to be done for the week.

Here's Friday's CrossFit, for the record:

A.  Bench Press (calculate on 215 lb max)  <-- given that I haven't done any serious bench press since at least last October, I sandbagged this number a lot
I did 4 x bar, 135 lbs warmup.  Then
4 x 80% (170 lbs)
4 x 85% (180 lbs)
3 x 88% (190 lbs)
2 x 90% (195 lbs), 3 sets [I did 200 lbs]
Failed on last rep of last round

B.  For Time (20 min TC)
12 strict ring dips
12 strict chin ups
12 HSPU (kipping ok)

I scaled HSPUs to strict DB press, 30 lbs dbs.  17:37.

• Like 1