• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GoodDoug

GoodDoug isn't ready for the frontlines (but he will be)

38 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

If you aren't feeding 5-6 people like I am, you can easily halve the recipe. Just remember that 3 teaspoons is 1 Tablespoon and you should be golden.

For our Metric friends, 1 tablespoon is roughly 15 ml and 1 teaspoon is roughly 5 ml.

• Thanks 1

GoodDoug's head was spinning. He had just finished moving the boxes of rations from one side of the staging area to the other. He still had to finish building the shields and he also realized he hadn't finished moving the stacks of spears.
Ben walked up, "Wow, you don't need to be doing so much here, it looks like you have bitten off more than you can chew right now."

Diet goals:
- Continue tracking, at least 5 days a week YES
- Eat as primally as I can OK
- Average under 110g of carbohydrates per day NOPE

Week 1 - 
I was a bit iffy on eating this week. I know what I was doing wrong, and think I have a handle on it for this week.

Exercise goals:
- Go to gym 2 times a week for strength training YES
- Handstand and rings once a week (I'd like to do more, but I'm going to be reasonable) YES
- Fill my rings every day YES
- Walk or run 3 miles every day (average 4 miles per day every week) YES

Week 1-
This worked out really well. Went to the gym as I wanted, lifted slightly heavier than the week before. Got some handstand training in, filled my rings and except for 1 day, I definitely got more than 3 miles walking in. And the day I didn't I missed it by less than a tenth of a mile.

Flexibility:
- Yoga once a week YES
- Rolling out muscles at least twice a week, especially my foot that is starting to get plantar fascitis
- "Cheating" at least once a week on at least one of my other goals, but do so mindfully TOO MUCH
- Go out for coffee once per week YES

Week 1-
Got some yoga in, got some rolling in, and only got coffee out once... but I used the "flexibility" as an excuse to eat like crap a couple of times. By Friday, I figured that out and did much better over the weekend (and today)
I know what I need to do, now I just need to do it.

Creativity:
- Draw twice a week NOPE
- Get into the wood shop 4 times a week NOPE
- Do story based updates here twice a week, one of which is my weekly recap ALMOST

Week 1-
Wow! I way Ranger-brained this one. If I had sat back and looked at my initial challenge objectively, I would have seen that I had bitten off way more than I could have chewed. I used to be the one that encouraged those Rangers that tried to do ALL THE THINGS to dial it back. So, I'm going to tell myself to dial it back.

Here are some changes I want to make to my challenge- 

• Change my Carb goal to be 1/3 or less of my total calories per day
  • Instead of handstand and yoga, I will do one or the other once a week with bonus for doing more than one a week. 
  • Instead of filling my rings every day, just stick with the 3 miles a day. Chances are, that will still fill my rings, but I am not going to get all judgey if I don't fill my rings
  • Creativity is going to just be do something creative twice a week

That still seems like a lot, but some of these are just a continuation of what I was doing. We'll call that ultimate flexibility.

As for today, I've done really well, I am eating good food, I avoided the rice at lunch and filled my plate with chicken and salad. Also went to the gym today and again upped my weights by a little. It was super busy in there today but was able to work around everyone to get it all done.

• Like 4

I'm always encouraging Ranger not to try and do all the things. Doesn't seem to stop me from trying it too though:friendly_wink: Good for you for noticing and scaling it back

• Like 3

The half-ogre rolled off of the cot he was sleeping on in the warehouse. He was sore from the work he did yesterday, but it was a good kind of sore. He did the basic exercises he had been taught, the morning stretches were becoming a part of his routine. He moved past the stacks of bread in the kitchen and went straight for the fruit and eggs, in this way too, he was being better. But it was all a process, and he was still at the beginning.

Today was another delivery day, he had to get all of the supplies he had been gathering and sorting yesterday to the staging area near the front lines. 

Yesterday was a good day. I did what I set out to do, and lifted at the gym and ate well. This morning, I made good choices for foods, and I expect to do the same at lunch. It feels like I have momentum in the right direction, but I know that week one can be deceptive... so I am wary.

Did a little bit of yoga and some handstand practice, also did a bit of foam rolling.

• Like 2

I definitely get that desire to do all the things. Rangers wanna have it all, but I noticed that we as a group like to take on more than we can handle. Scaling back should definitely help. And thank you for reminding me that foam rolling is a thing! ;) Something I need to do as well. 

• Like 1

Quick jump in to note today:

Went to the gym and lifted heavy things and put them back down. For my dumbbell presses, the weight I wanted was gone, so I had a choice: 5 pounds heavier or 5 pounds lighter. To my own surprise I went heavier. It was a struggle for the last to reps, but I got all reps and sets. I'm really sore now.

Lunch was tough as there weren't a lot of options that didn't include rice or noodles, but I figured I had just worked out and didn't want to have an excuse to give in to cookies later so I ate my lunch with pasta.

Work is really busy right now, so this will have to be it. Thnx all for your encouragement

• Like 5

GoodDoug the half ogre came back to the workshop and placed the bundle of shields he had finished in the designated area. Ben glanced over at him, the half ogre was his charge until he could be ready to be sent to the front lines. It had only been a couple of weeks, but the changes were starting to show. While not lean, he wasn't as big, and he was moving better.
"Hey, GoodDoug, I'm going to need you to make some farther deliveries this week."
GoodDoug nodded, he knew he was ready for some more. So far his deliveries hadn't taken him too far, and were easy to do in a couple of hours, if he was to go farther, that meant some running, and maybe some combat.
"Should I grab a sword?"
Ben thought for a moment, considering what the half ogre might meet closer to the front lines. "Yes, take the zweihander, I think you can swing that one."
Hanging amongst the other weapons ready for deployment was a very large sword, almost as large as the half ogre. It was covered in a layer of thick dust, this sword hadn't seen combat in quite a while... would it be seeing combat soon? And was it and it's new wielder ready for combat?
Only one way to find out.

Diet:

• Track all food at least 5 days a week - tracked 6 days
  • Eat mostly primally - could you define "mostly" for me?
  • No more than 1/3 of calories from carbohydrates - "mostly"

I tracked well, and for the most part did a good job avoiding stuff. My niece's first communion was this weekend, so I indulged in the really good beans and rice, as well I had a piece of cake (which I regretted, as it wasn't very good) and some pastais de nata from a Portuguese restaurant. My wife's family is Portuguese, and I know how much effort goes into making this particular desert, so I indulged and that I didn't regret in the least. I still need to be a bit more careful about not letting "cheats" become the new norm. But overall not too bad, better than week one.

Exercise:

• Gym twice a week - Hell yeah I did
  • Handstand - Got a couple of practices in
  • Walk at least 3 miles every day - Every day except Friday when I worked from home. 

Did pretty well with this one. Once again, working from home means I can't find a way to get off my butt during the day and go walking. I think it is because I feel like I have to be more "on" when working from home, but I also think there is a little laziness that is creeping in.

Flexibility:

• Yoga - Got one quick session in
  • Rolling - Got both sessions in, and am now looking to make it three per week
  • Cheating - I think I did it mindfully this last week. There were a couple of times I cheated, but I worked to not feel bad about it.

I like this category, I may keep something like this for the next challenge

Creativity:

• Do something creative twice a week - Yes
  • Do Two story based updates per week - Yes with an asterisk. I kinda phoned in the story.

I got into the woodshop twice. First time was just to clean up and start the salt cellars. The next time was yesterday when I spent a few hours finishing up two of the three salt cellars. They look great and I'm already using the one I made for myself. I'll try and get to the third one tonight or tomorrow while the kids are at practice.

All in all a good week two. Usually week one is great and week two is a bit of a wash, but this time week one wasn't great and week two is much better. Also, before I forget, now that I have some time under my belt, I'm losing about 1 pound a week, and I've lost 1 inch from my waist since I started this about two months ago. So yay!

• Like 5

I hope the Ogre gets to use his Zwiehander! 

Nice week Two. Sounds like you enjoyed the special dessert. I think  allowing that creates sustainability in your life.  Congrats on the weight loss

• Like 1

Jumping in to update:

Yesterday was good, I got to the gym and lifted. The squat rack was in use, so I switched to my other workout and got some slightly heavier deadlifts in, upped all of my weights and boy do I feel it. I also got in some handstand practice in the morning, which went extremely well, the kind of day where you kick up the first time, hold it and then go, "Wait, I did it? First time?" Food went well yesterday as well. I didn't get to any creativity stuff as I sat up late helping one of my kids study for the AP Chemistry exam. It is scary to see how much I've forgotten there. Everything she asks me now I have to go, "Hang on, I remember studying that, but I need to look at the book or the internet to refresh myself"

This morning I did a good yoga session, which helped my sore muscles a little. In a bit, I'm going to walk over to get my once a week coffee at the coffee shop. I am going to try and go running tonight while the girls are at practice, wish me luck.

• Like 3

Thnx!

I didn't go running last night. My back was still sore and I decided recovery was more important. I plan on going running tonight or tomorrow morning. Then I will decide whether I want to lift again this week. Did a fair bit of handstand practice this morning.

That's all I've got for now.

• Like 4

yeah, you've got to listen to your body!

thing to remember is the body actually builds during the recovery.

its not strictly speaking the killer workout.

so anyways.  a Big woot- for doing that!

• Like 1

GoodDoug looked at the trail in front of him. Some intuition had caused him to slow down and approach the beginning of the forest cautiously. He was glad he had, he spied three of the enemy's raptors milling about in the shade of the trees. He thought back to what led him here and now.

The half-ogre had been avoiding this trip, finding excuses to put it off. Valid as the excuses were, they were still excuses. He knew he had to get these supplies to the front lines today, the arrows he had packed in his travel bags were sorely needed, and he was sure they would be in need of these 3 shields he had just finished. He was being sent to a remote bunker that was an important strong point on the fighting line. Ben the halfling appeared with his clipboard, "Looks like you are finally heading out." 
Ben understood, GoodDoug was excited for his first real mission for the rebellion in a long time, but he was also scared. He wasn't afraid of the fighting or the terrain, he was afraid of letting everyone down. Ben checked the bags the half-ogre had packed, it was a good amount and was sorely needed. It probably should have gotten to its destination at least a day ago, but it was going now. GoodDoug strapped the large sword to his back, then affixed the shields to the backpack that carried the arrows and various other supplies he was taking to the frontlines.
"Wish me luck, Ben."
"You don't need luck, you need a kick in the pants to get out that door," the halfling smiled to take the sting from his teasing, "Watch out for skirmishers trying to keep people like you from getting supplies to the bunker. Your smell should keep most of the bad guys away, but still keep an eye out," he finished with a wink.

GoodDoug sat and watched the raptors for a moment, he understood dinosaurs having done missions against the larger T. Rex dinosaurs many years ago. What he knew of raptors was that they tended to stay in larger groups. He also knew they were great sprinters and ambushers. Chances are these were part of a larger party of raptors sent to harass the back line and disrupt supplies like the ones he was bringing. His best chance lay in surprising the raptors, and hoping he could deal with them quickly and then outrun any others in the area. 
He took a moment to unlimber his sword, shimmy a bit to see how the weight on his back felt, and then snuck forward. His progress was good and he was almost close enough to surprise his prey when one suddenly lifted it's snout, sniffing. Great now the raptor was commenting on his bad smell. The beast looked straight at him in his hiding spot then lifted it's head to let out a long hooting call.
GoodDoug sprang from his hiding spot and struck the beast down with a quick stroke, following with a backswing on the the next one closest. The third repeated the call that the first one had made. That was likely to call more to the fight, he had to act quickly and then get out.
His swing at the second had been true and it fell with a large gash in its neck. The third then lept to attack, striking with it's foreclaw. GoodDoug quickly turned so the shields strapped to his backpack took the attack and then swung his greatsword in a wide arc. The raptor was quick and had anticipated the attack, but it didn't anticipate the headlong rush the half-ogre then did to take the second swipe which neatly cleaved the raptors head from its body.
Without pausing, he found the trail and started running.

That's a long way of saying I went for my run this morning. It has been a while since I've run, and it felt pretty good. It was a short run, just 2 miles, and I did do a little walking in the middle for about two minutes.

Yesterday I lifted, did a little more weight on some exercises and kept others the same as the week before. I am trying to do better each week, but also trying to not burn out or overdo it. I think the fact that I ran today is proof that I didn't overdo it yesterday. 

Starting the run this week was all about getting through a mental block. Having run before, I knew that I would run a lot slower/less than I had run when I was last into running and I think that made it harder. It is hard to do the walk/run thing when in the past you were doing 5 and 10 K a couple of times a week. But I'm hopeful that now that I've done it once, the next time will be easier. I also need to remember to do Zombie's Run and get my Runner 5 on. That is a great motivator for me, and I think it can help me build the habit.

Food was great the last couple of days as well. I'm craving carbs much less now (finally) and feel like I am in a good groove. I'll likely just try and keep up with what I'm doing here and make all of this into habit.

• Like 5

The campfire was just embers now. Though the half-ogre continued to keep his eyes averted from it. Even though this was a relatively safe spot, he knew he couldn't afford to lose his darkvision. He had taken his time heading back. The trip was a success, he had delivered the needed supplies and the grateful Rangers had broken out the good rations to celebrate with him. Sweets and ale were a welcome treat, even though he knew it wouldn't help his training later. 
Being that close to the front lines made GoodDoug feel excited about getting back to the fight. He knew he still had work to do before he could fight on the front lines, but he also knew that he would get there. Morning would come soon, then he would hike the rest of the way back to the Ranger Guild headquarters, hopefully he could get a nap before he needed to start work again.

Many miles away, looking through the eyes of a young wyvern flying above the trees, Bisuto saw the embers of the half-ogre's fire. "He is too far to get to now, master. He will make it to safety before my fastest raptors can get to him."
Bisuto, the beastmaster of the enemy, came out of trance, releasing the wyvern to return to him. Beside him was a candle with a green flame, from this a voice came, "We had hoped he would be struck down before he could come into his strength, but strike him down we will. Be aware of any opportunity to get at him."
"Yes, master."

The candle snuffed itself out and Bisuto was left with his thoughts. He had thought the raptors would have at least provided a challenge to the half-ogre his master wanted dead. But he had easily dispatched the first group he came upon and then somehow outran the others. He had run at that slow and steady pace that his raptors, with their bodies made for sprinting short distances, couldn't keep up with. Once his raptors had approached the front lines, the other Rangers had killed most of them.

Bisuto didn't want to fail again.

Woohoo- foreshadowing for my next challenge.

Diet:

• Track all food at least 5 days a week - tracked 6 days
  • Eat mostly primally - Except for one day, I would call this good
  • No more than 1/3 of calories from carbohydrates - Again, except for one day, good

I tracked like crazy, avoided carb laden foods and felt good about my choices. For Mothers Day, I made waffles for Mother's Day brunch for my wife and also made an Apple Ginger Cake that I had the kids help decorate. We also did s'mores (which I avoided, in anticipation of having the cake.)

IMG_0369.jpg.6807a1fb4a2abbb45fc0699668d8d5a4.jpg

One other thing that helped was I went back to my breakfast of asparagus and eggs, steam some asparagus and cook up two over easy eggs. Then put the eggs on top of the asparagus and eat. Takes about 10 minutes to make and is very tasty and satisfying. Too bad asparagus will start going out of season soon.

Exercise:

• Gym twice a week - Yep
  • Handstand/yoga - Yeah, did it 4 times this week, though twice was just a couple of quick kick-ups in the morning
  • Walk 3 miles every day - Except for yesterday

What a good week, I went to the gym, woke up and did some handstand stuff and even some yoga. I didn't make my distance goal, but I was on my feet and constantly moving yesterday, so though I didn't walk that far, I feel I made up for it

Flexibility:

• Yoga - One session
  • Foam rolling - did it a few times, especially my foot
  • Cheating - Yesterday, Mother's Day was all about cheating mindfully

I feel like I did okay on flexibility this week. Could have been a little better, but there's always something to work on

Creativity:

• Do something creative twice a week - Yes
  • Do Two story based updates per week - Yes

Got into the woodshop, also did some creative stuff with the cake I made. Got in some drawing and started plans for a breadbox my wife wants me to make. I like prioritizing creativity and will have to figure out a way to make space for more of it.

Summary:

In the end, a good week 3. Now I have to take the next few days to recover from eating all the waffle and cake yesterday, but I think I'm in a good frame of mind for it. This is the week we all (especially Rangers) have to be careful to not think too far ahead to the next challenge. I know for me, it is easy to want to start adding in some things for the next challenge before the current one is finished. I am forcing myself to be patient and not add in another set of things. I already had to dial down my goals this challenge. Don't want to find myself in that spot again.

• Like 4

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I ate well, I made it to the gym, and worked in the wood shop. Now, my back is really tight today and I had a hard time sleeping because of it last night. I think it's just DOMS but I will be treating it gingerly today and maybe tomorrow. I got some new shoes yesterday and so breaking them in today by walking a bit.

I need to get back into the wood shop to finish this last salt cellar. And, my new bandsaw is supposed to come in tomorrow which is exciting. It will probably take until the weekend to get it set up, but I can't wait to start on some simple projects.

• Like 3

That cake looks so pretty! Woot for skipping the s'more and having mindful treats. I love fresh asparagus, but I've never tried it with eggs.

• Like 1

I note that in your story

you have progressed beyond training exercises.

OOC.  do you feel that things are getting harder or more challenging?!

or is it more of a literary prompt to further thoughts?

I know for me; things slowly evolve and its not always clear what will happen next. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TGP said:

do you feel that things are getting harder or more challenging?!

or is it more of a literary prompt to further thoughts?

I see it as me having "graduated" from simple training of the last challenge to being useful this challenge. I am still building my base, but already have some firmament to stand on. As I get better, I need to move the goalposts a little further away. As the architect of my challenge, I need to be aware of when to move forward and when to ease off the throttle a bit. I don't always do that part well, but each iteration makes me better at it.

• Like 3

My back is a bit more sore than I would like it to be right now. I skipped the gym today, and Im glad I did. I'll try and go tomorrow and just do stuff that won't aggravate my back. The idea is to get into the gym, mess around, and get out. Getting into the gym is the important part tomorrow, not what I do in the gym.

Food was good today. I almost messed up, I stood in front of the cookie jar at work, looked at it, really thought about how much I wanted one, no, maybe two or three of those cookies. And somehow I found the strength to walk away. Usually, I know better than to walk into the kitchen that has the cookie jar at that time, so I figured if I didn't have the willpower to resist walking into the kitchen, I wouldn't have it to resist the cookie. That was a pleasant surprise.

• Like 5

Got to the gym. While there, I focussed on arms, shoulders and chest as well as cardio. Ended up working pretty hard (it was difficult to wash my hair afterwards.) My back feels better, but not to a point where I want to push it.

I've been weighing myself pretty religiously. In the beginning, there was little to no movement, then it started going down a steady 1 pound per week... then this week it started creeping back up. I would be disappointed except that I have also been measuring my waist. That has gone down steadily as well, including this week... in fact it made a little bigger jump down than before.

I'm sure we can all make speculations on the weight of fat vs muscle and body composition... but what I want to focus on is that weight is not what I'm really trying to change, but it is a decent data point to show I am going in the right direction. I was lucky to have another measurement, and it reminded me that I should start doing progress pictures again. Losing (and gaining) weight is like boiling a frog. It can be difficult to notice unless we can find a way to see almost 3 months of progress as side by side pictures... or beginning and ending points in a trend line of weight or waist.

Hopefully someone else sees this and can be encouraged by it.

• Like 3

Wrap up
Except for Ben, the warehouse was empty. That half-ogre had done what he needed to do. All of the supplies were at the front lines. It was time to refill the warehouse to make everything ready for the rebellion's next push. Ben could hear GoodDoug approaching, probably carrying the first shipments of hard rations to be be stored in this soon to be full warehouse. He could still use the half-ogre's help here, but word was coming in that it was time to send him to the front lines. Ben wondered if GoodDoug was ready.

GoodDoug had worked hard, he had seen some small amount of action on his trip to the bunker a couple of weeks ago, and he was antsy to get back out there. But, he also knew that the work he did here was important, it was the baseline of work needed for the frontlines to operate the best they could. He was operating at an efficient level now, able to work longer and get more done with the time than when he started. He was fitter than when he had started as well. Was he ready for the front lines?

The old guild leader contemplated the reports on the desk. There was about to be a change in the fighting, were the guilds ready? The old Ranger guild leader leaned back in the chair and sighed. It wasn't easy being stuck here, deciding other's fates, deciding who was ready for the fight and who wasn't. The old guild leader contemplated GoodDoug, he was needed on the front lines, especially with this news that had just come in. After a moments thought, the guild leader stood up and said, "Fuck it, he's ready."

Goals:
Diet:

• Track at least 5 days a week 
    •  At least 6 days each week
  • Eat primally
    •  I'd say it was 80% primal
  • Carbs at 1/3 of daily intake
    •  This was hit or miss, more hits than misses, but could have been better

Exercise:

• Gym twice a week
    •  Yeah, even when I felt hurt, I changed to make it work
  • Handstand/Rings once a week
    •  Usually twice a week
  • Walk or run 3 miles every day
    •  Did this except for a couple of days

Flexibility:

• Yoga once a week
    •  Yeah, pretty much on target here
  • Foam rolling twice a week
    •  Definitely got this one
  • Go out for coffee once a week
    •  Sometimes I did twice a week, but didn't do it every day
  • "Cheat" mindfully
    •  I feel like I nailed this and it really helped

Creativity:

• Do something creative twice a week
    •  I had to get creative about "do something creative" but I got there
  • Get into the woodshop
    •  Got out of inertia and got a couple of things done and some other things started

Overall:
What went right-

• Tracking food stayed on track
  • Eating primally for the most part
  • Gym twice a week
  • Foam rolling
  • Cheating mondfully

What could have gone better:

• Eating fewer carbs
  • Creativity

Roadbumps:

• Injury made me have to rethink running and modify my gym routine
  • Mother's day and my niece's first communion meant eating would be crazy, and it was, but I mitigated it by making sure it was only for that day and didn't derail me for the next day. I knew I would feel it the next day, but also knew I could get through it.
  • Realizing that my challenge started out too ambitiously... that's what happens when you have a good challenge, it feels too easy so you look to make it harder for the next one.

All in all, a good challenge. I have some areas that still need maintenance and others that need a little more work. Doing the story based updates helped and I hope to make that even better for the next challenge. Thnkx all for your encouragement, it really helps.

• Like 5