• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Deckard Gainz

Deckard Gainz Necromances

1 minute ago, scalyfreak said:

While this sounds absolutely delicious, I probably wouldn't have been happy with it either. So, now to learn from it and put it squarely in the past where it belongs, and to move on. Right? :) 

Oh yeah, I'm over it. I kind of look at individual days as a pass-fail. There's only so much good OR bad you can do to your body in any given day. This sucks when you're working hard to make positive changes; it makes change take forever and ever. But it's great for mitigating failure! In this sense, the "fuck it" attitude is kind of fine, if you've already committed to a loss for the day. 20 tendies or 50 tendies would not make a significant difference if my body can only process a max of 15 tendies in any given timeframe. I don't know the actual tendies-per-hour processing rate for the human body, but you get the idea.  The exception to this is things that mess up subsequent days, like hangovers. I actually didn't have a hangover, but I had already planned for possibly skipping the gym yesterday just in case. I will still hit 3x for the week as long as I make sure to go today and tomorrow. 4 is the goal, but 3 is fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

20 tendies or 50 tendies would not make a significant difference if my body can only process a max of 15 tendies in any given timeframe. I don't know the actual tendies-per-hour processing rate for the human body, but you get the idea. 

Indeed I do, and I will steal this way of thinking for the next time I completely miss a goal due to either poor planning or non-existent impulse control. I am very bad at learning from a mistake and then moving on without metaphorically beating myself up over it (perfectionist fallacy in overdrive), and this way of thinking might help.

• Like 1

Zero week was a complicated one full of successes and failures, but rather than dwell too much, I'll just give some quick highlights and move on.

• Went to the gym twice (not enough)
    • DLs are climbing again with the help of liquid chalk (thanks fellow nerds for the recommendations)
  • Did a whole lot of chores, errands, and yard work, 3k+ calories burned Sat and Sun according to Fitbit. It's no gym day, but better than nothing.
  • Went out for lots of drinks Sat (fail) but was otherwise pretty good in terms of consumption.

Let's talk about goals for a moment. I'm going to talk about body weight, fat, appearance, and all of that, so let me just preface this by saying that personal reflections of my self image are in no way assumptions about the quality or appearance of others. I appreciate all sorts of body types and no one type of body is better or worse than any other type of body, etc.

At the heart of everything, I want to be desired. This manifests itself in a lot of ways. In terms of health and fitness, it translates to me wanting my body to look desirable. Society has more or less dictated two types of acceptable masculine body: skinny or skinny with muscles. Say what you want about "dad bod" or whatever, but at the end of the day the most desirable male bodies possess relatively little body fat, and may or may not contain some to a lot of visible musculature. I don't want this to register as a complaint because I'm very aware of the relative leniency with which folks like me get to treat their appearance compared to the rest of the population, but it still exists, holds importance to me, and has been my primary motivator for self betterment.

The primary means by which I am attempting to achieve this goal is through a caloric deficit via intuitive eating, combined with a strength training program and additional light cardio. Am I doing the right stuff to achieve my goal? Where could I be improving, without changing things around so much I get frustrated or lose interest? Here are some ideas:

• Tracking food. Even when I did do it regularly, I was guessing at everything. I am never going to like, weigh out ingredients and do math before every meal. No way. But if the counts are just guesses, why bother in the first place? 
  • Just Eat Less. But how? Do any of the silly mind games actually work? 
  • Do less lifting and more cardio. I kind of hate this idea but everyone I know that magically loses a bunch of fat does so primarily via cardio.
  • Do "cardio lifting." Not really into this either but it's on the table.
  • Do the same amount of lifting and more cardio. This idea is better but oof that's a lot of time and work, especially if I am lifting 4x a week. Do I have the time and energy? Probably not.
  • Move the goalposts. Maybe I am just never going to get under X body fat or X lbs(or wahtever) and I should learn to be ok with that. But how to train your mind to accept yourself for who you are, while also not becoming complacent and sedentary?

Those are my thoughts to start week 1. I look forward to working through them.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

At the heart of everything, I want to be desired. This manifests itself in a lot of ways. In terms of health and fitness, it translates to me wanting my body to look desirable. Society has more or less dictated two types of acceptable masculine body: skinny or skinny with muscles. Say what you want about "dad bod" or whatever, but at the end of the day the most desirable male bodies possess relatively little body fat, and may or may not contain some to a lot of visible musculature. I don't want this to register as a complaint because I'm very aware of the relative leniency with which folks like me get to treat their appearance compared to the rest of the population, but it still exists, holds importance to me, and has been my primary motivator for self betterment.

As a dad with a body, I feel personally attacked. 

>_>

Definitely not because it's accurate.

<_<

Here's the thing though, that media displayed, fitstagram level desireable body is a mostly unsustainable level of effort over the long term. Unless, of course, you want to give up alcohol, sugar, ever overeating, eating regularly, potentially using PEDs, and a couple other things I'm missing. Most of us will never

The primary means by which I am attempting to achieve this goal is through a caloric deficit via intuitive eating, combined with a strength training program and additional light cardio. Am I doing the right stuff to achieve my goal? Where could I be improving, without changing things around so much I get frustrated or lose interest? Here are some ideas:

• Tracking food. Even when I did do it regularly, I was guessing at everything. I am never going to like, weigh out ingredients and do math before every meal. No way. But if the counts are just guesses, why bother in the first place? 

I hate tracking for this reason. It's not my job to weight food. I'd rather make smaller healthy choices, i.e. smaller portions, less prepackaged meals. 

• Just Eat Less. But how? Do any of the silly mind games actually work? 

Use smaller plates and utensils. It's less of a game and it FORCES you to have smaller portions and bites. Counting to *insert arbitrary number here* can help, but I'm not going to try and count to 30 while I'm eating dinner with people and trying to enjoy their company at the same time.

1 hour ago, Deckard Gainz said:
  • Do less lifting and more cardio. I kind of hate this idea but everyone I know that magically loses a bunch of fat does so primarily via cardio.
  • Do "cardio lifting." Not really into this either but it's on the table.
  • Do the same amount of lifting and more cardio. This idea is better but oof that's a lot of time and work, especially if I am lifting 4x a week. Do I have the time and energy? Probably not.

Lies Liar GIF - Lies Liar AHS GIFs

I didn't lose shit while running. 

If you want to do cardio, do HIIT. Also, simply reducing rest times will up your cardio. Take up a martial art. Play pickup ball. DO ANYTHING BUT RUN IF YOU WANT TO LOSE FAT.

Running is AMAZING for cardio. My endurance is through the roof and my last dr appt had my BP at 110/70 and my resting HR at 55 awake. That was from running. For your cardiovascular system. You got your BMI in my BP!

Can you take an exercise out of your program and do a HIIT style finisher at the end? I think that might be your best of both worlds. You get your lifting in, you get some cardio in with weights (or just bodyweight) your workout length doesn't change or only changes a little, and you don't need to add extra programming to your week!

1 hour ago, Deckard Gainz said:
  • Move the goalposts. Maybe I am just never going to get under X body fat or X lbs(or wahtever) and I should learn to be ok with that. But how to train your mind to accept yourself for who you are, while also not becoming complacent and sedentary?

There's acceptance, then there's complaceny. I accept I am a large mammal. I like being a large mammal. I am not complacent about it though. I lift, I HIIT, I still occasionally run. It's like grades. Just because you can pass class by existing, doesn't mean you can't take steps to excel in class. 

56 minutes ago, Grumble said:

There's acceptance, then there's complacency.

I was just about to post this.

I also came to post a reminder that being desirable is about more than simply having a body that looks a certain way. If a man looks like Chris Hemsworth did in the first Thor movie, but speaks and acts like a complete asshole, then that man certainly would be considered physically attractive, but I would argue that he's not desirable as a person. Just something to keep in mind. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

At the heart of everything, I want to be desired. This manifests itself in a lot of ways. In terms of health and fitness, it translates to me wanting my body to look desirable. Society has more or less dictated two types of acceptable masculine body: skinny or skinny with muscles. Say what you want about "dad bod" or whatever, but at the end of the day the most desirable male bodies possess relatively little body fat, and may or may not contain some to a lot of visible musculature.

That's understandable. But I think there's a wider range in what people find attractive, than there is in what's shown to us as attractive in movies and the media. I also think you can get away with having more fat if you're more muscular. For example, I think Alan Thrall looks pretty good, even though he has comparatively high bodyfat (he has a video where he uses different techniques to estimate his bodyfat and they explain why he looks different from other men with the same bf%).

Also, Thor is fine, and it was very considerate of him to take his shirt off in the movie, but I propose that Thorin from the Hobbit is the sexiest character in film. Sure, he's short and wide and obsessed with a shiny rock. But that hair! The armour! That deep voice! So yeah, people like different things and you should maybe widen the goalposts a bit if your only two options are very lean, and very lean with muscle.

How to train your mind without becoming complacent? I'm not sure. That's something I'm wondering about, too. I'm slightly worried that intuitive eating will end up with me eating like I used to, i.e. badly. But... will I really? Now that I've tried cooking more balanced foods I don't think I would even want to go back to eating nothing but pasta and cheese every day. Also, I can't imagine giving up lifting or taekwondo because I don't do them to lose weight, I do them because they're awesome. Every time I tried something purely to lose weight or look better, I gave up eventually, which made me fear that I was lazy, indolent, a quitter. But now I have some activities I value innately, not just instrumentally, I am starting to think that I have the capacity to be persistent. 

I can't tell you how to actually lose weight, though, because I tried and failed. Well, I did lose 13kg through pure self-loathing-inspired restriction, but when I stopped (inevitably), most of it came back on. At least a good portion came back as muscle. But yeah, I've decided I totally lack the authority to tell anyone else how to get thinner. And it also might depend on whether you're very overweight, or just a little, or actually a normal weight but just want to be beyond lean. 

23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Sure, he's short and wide and obsessed with a shiny rock. But that hair! The armour! That deep voice! So yeah, people like different things and you should maybe widen the goalposts a bit if your only two options are very lean, and very lean with muscle.

If only I were shorter. Who knew dwarves were the ideal man. >_>

Damn you tall genetics!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumble said:

that media displayed, fitstagram level desireable body is a mostly unsustainable level of effort over the long term. Unless, of course, you want to give up alcohol, sugar, ever overeating, eating regularly, potentially using PEDs, and a couple other things I'm missing. Most of us will never

I don't know that my maximum obtainable hotness is on par with any fitstogram model or whatever, but it sure would be cool to see what my maximum hotness actually is, wouldn't it? Like, even if it's not that good and I can't maintain quite that level in the long term? I can still try to at least minimize a number of those temporarily gratifying but ultimately useless indulgences, to trade off for a chance to see what my potential actually is. Shoot for the moon, if you miss you freeze to death in the cold nothingness of space. That's how the saying goes, right?

Use smaller plates and utensils. It's less of a game and it FORCES you to have smaller portions and bites. Counting to *insert arbitrary number here* can help, but I'm not going to try and count to 30 while I'm eating dinner with people and trying to enjoy their company at the same time.

I've had some success with the smaller plate thing in the past. But we have these tiny forks and I HATE them. Maybe I'll meet you in the middle.

Can you take an exercise out of your program and do a HIIT style finisher at the end? I think that might be your best of both worlds. You get your lifting in, you get some cardio in with weights (or just bodyweight) your workout length doesn't change or only changes a little, and you don't need to add extra programming to your week!

I do superset some upper body accessory stuff at the tail end of those workouts that gets my heart rate going pretty good, short rest times on everything but the main lifts, but on leg day I only do 3-4 things total and it completely wears me out. I can usually muster about 5 mediocre minutes on the row machine before I want to die. Leg day is what makes me really think I need some cardio work, for work capacity if nothing else.

I love the idea of HIIT by itself. I loathe the idea of it as a finisher. Finishers in general are awful. That's kind of the point of them, right? 

There's acceptance, then there's complaceny.

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I also came to post a reminder that being desirable is about more than simply having a body that looks a certain way. If a man looks like Chris Hemsworth did in the first Thor movie, but speaks and acts like a complete asshole, then that man certainly would be considered physically attractive, but I would argue that he's not desirable as a person. Just something to keep in mind. :) 

Acceptance is more or less where I'm already at, I think. I'm not sad or upset about who I am or what I look like now. It doesn't cause me distress or anything. I just want to improve, and this is the way that seems to make the most sense to me. And to be clear, not seeing immediate and steady results isn't a problem either. I am expecting to be active for the long term, and even just learning what equilibrium looks like would be a nice barometer. 

Also, my personality is already perfect, so, CHECK! (That's a joke but tackling who I am as a person psychologically is a much harder egg to crack than looking nice... maybe we'll get into it later). 

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

I propose that Thorin from the Hobbit is the sexiest character in film. Sure, he's short and wide and obsessed with a shiny rock. But that hair! The armour! That deep voice! So yeah, people like different things and you should maybe widen the goalposts a bit if your only two options are very lean, and very lean with muscle.

You mean this guy?

Richard-Armitage-shirtless-body.jpg

(I get the point you're trying to make; just being cheeky)

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

How to train your mind without becoming complacent? I'm not sure. That's something I'm wondering about, too. I'm slightly worried that intuitive eating will end up with me eating like I used to, i.e. badly. But... will I really? Now that I've tried cooking more balanced foods I don't think I would even want to go back to eating nothing but pasta and cheese every day. Also, I can't imagine giving up lifting or taekwondo because I don't do them to lose weight, I do them because they're awesome. Every time I tried something purely to lose weight or look better, I gave up eventually, which made me fear that I was lazy, indolent, a quitter. But now I have some activities I value innately, not just instrumentally, I am starting to think that I have the capacity to be persistent. 

I can't tell you how to actually lose weight, though, because I tried and failed. Well, I did lose 13kg through pure self-loathing-inspired restriction, but when I stopped (inevitably), most of it came back on. At least a good portion came back as muscle. But yeah, I've decided I totally lack the authority to tell anyone else how to get thinner. And it also might depend on whether you're very overweight, or just a little, or actually a normal weight but just want to be beyond lean. 

Three invaluable substitutions I learned from eating low carb:

• Lettuce wraps are almost always fine, not great but fine, compared to bread/tortilla/bun, unless it's REALLY good bread.
  • Spaghetti squash is an amazing substitute for most types of American/Italian noodles if you have the time to bake it.
  • Riced and mashed cauliflower is a great low cal substitute for white rice and mashed potatoes. 

These three things alone have saved me tens of thousands of unnecessary calories, even since re-adopting a more "balanced" diet with more carbs. But I do eat cheese every day and it is a super food and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. So yeah, I've also learned incredibly valuable dietary lessons by being restrictive and experimenting that I will carry with me probably for the rest of my life. I also think lifting a lot of weight feels awesome, but not enough to do it just for fun if it didn't have all the positive effects that it does. I definitely do it for the results, not the action itself. But that's also why I go to work, and I haven't quit my job yet, so, fingers crossed I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumble said:

If only I were shorter. Who knew dwarves were the ideal man. >_>

Damn you tall genetics!

He's sexy despite the shortness, not because of it. You're in the clear. 

6 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

You mean this guy?

Where is his fur? Why so shiny? This is a terrible dwarf! 

longform-original-21477-1413408201-5.png

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Shoot for the moon, if you miss you freeze to death in the cold nothingness of space. That's how the saying goes, right?

So... close. So close. 

27 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I've had some success with the smaller plate thing in the past. But we have these tiny forks and I HATE them. Maybe I'll meet you in the middle.

I have big ass forks and middle of the road forks. I'm with you on the tiny fork thing. 

28 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I love the idea of HIIT by itself. I loathe the idea of it as a finisher. Finishers in general are awful. That's kind of the point of them, right

Can you replace a regular day with an all HIIT day? That seems like your happy place. 

4 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

...cheese every day and it is a super food ...

Super delicious food...

• Like 1

First up, epic post, looking forward to reading on how your progress goes. To be honest, 90% of what you wrote here I can completely relate to and am also on the same quest. It's freaking tough!

15 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

The primary means by which I am attempting to achieve this goal is through a caloric deficit via intuitive eating, combined with a strength training program and additional light cardio

I'm doing the above (sort of) too. Basically in all my experience (probably not a whole lot) I've figured out that no matter how much I lift/cardio that I can never lose weight unless I actively keep track of what is going into my mouth. It's an absolute ball ache to use MFP to track them, but unfortunately unless I track them in MFP then I find my best guess is always wrong. Then in terms of your exercise (strength training and light cardio) I think that's the best approach. End moral of the story is that discipline and consistency are what's going to deliver the results (easier said than done)

Your intro post said you had a shoulder injury, want to elaborate on that? I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and would dig some pointers on things you did to recover (even if you did or didn't have surgery)

Good luck man, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Three invaluable substitutions I learned from eating low carb:

• Lettuce wraps are almost always fine, not great but fine, compared to bread/tortilla/bun, unless it's REALLY good bread.
  • Spaghetti squash is an amazing substitute for most types of American/Italian noodles if you have the time to bake it.
  • Riced and mashed cauliflower is a great low cal substitute for white rice and mashed potatoes. 

These three things alone have saved me tens of thousands of unnecessary calories, even since re-adopting a more "balanced" diet with more carbs. But I do eat cheese every day and it is a super food and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. So yeah, I've also learned incredibly valuable dietary lessons by being restrictive and experimenting that I will carry with me probably for the rest of my life. I also think lifting a lot of weight feels awesome, but not enough to do it just for fun if it didn't have all the positive effects that it does. I definitely do it for the results, not the action itself. But that's also why I go to work, and I haven't quit my job yet, so, fingers crossed I guess.

Yeah, experimenting with low carb was good for me, too, because I learned a different way of cooking that's based on meat and veg. But I realised I don't actually want to be low carb long term. When trying to restrict carbs, I started to miss them and "act out" in between meals. Also, a few people have said "don't be daft, carblessness starves your lifts" or something to that effect. So we'll see. I just hit a wall where no kind of restriction worked or made me thinner. But if intuitive eating makes me fat, I'll let you know. 

Milk, cheese, yoghurt, creme brulee and cheese are beautiful gifts from the spirits of the earth that we must gratefully appreciate and consume. Fight people who disagree with your tiny fork. 

ETA, that last sentence was grammatically ambiguous. I meant if people disagree with you, use your tiny fork to fight them. I did not mean people who disagree with your tiny fork must be fought off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

ETA, that last sentence was grammatically ambiguous. I meant if people disagree with you, use your tiny fork to fight them. I did not mean people who disagree with your tiny fork must be fought off. 

Why not? Defend your fork's honor against anyone who slanders it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grumble said:

Can you replace a regular day with an all HIIT day? That seems like your happy place. 

I can absolutely do that. I already have a 3-day program I can easily transition to. It's the first program I ever wrote myself! It's similar to what I'm doing now, but just 3 full body days vs 4 days of splits. I would just need to do some research on what kind of conditioning/HIIT day might work for me.

6 hours ago, crashy said:

It's an absolute ball ache to use MFP to track them, but unfortunately unless I track them in MFP then I find my best guess is always wrong.

I think the more you absorb from seeing what foods have what macros and how those fit in a day, the better your guesses can get as you gain experience. I've tracked before, with more or less accuracy based on my patience, but I think it's given me a decent enough idea that I don't need to agonize over it. I could be wrong but I'm going to try!

6 hours ago, crashy said:

Your intro post said you had a shoulder injury, want to elaborate on that? I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and would dig some pointers on things you did to recover (even if you did or didn't have surgery)

I stopped lifting for like 8 months. That's about it. It's not a method I'd recommend persay, but it did more or less work for me. I don't know exactly what I did; I didn't feel like paying over $200 for a doctor to say "ya fucked it m8" but I think it was something to do with my rotator cuff. It can still be a bit funky at times, but I seem to be able to work around it alright.

"don't be daft, carblessness starves your lifts"

No carbs sure. What's low carb? 10g, 25g, 50g, 100g? I eat some functional carbs, like a PWO banana, and I eat some maintenance carbs, like high-nutrient vegetables, and the occasional indulgence carbs, mostly in the form of beer. But most folks would still categorize my diet as "low carb." I'd say I usually stay under 100g in a day on average.

The point of the tips was that boring-ass carbs like wonderbread and white rice have no place there. Not eating the meaningless carbs gives me more room for the ones that have more positive effects or are just more delicious.

• Like 3

Milk, cheese, yoghurt, creme brulee and cheese are beautiful gifts from the spirits of the earth that we must gratefully appreciate and consume. Fight people who disagree with your tiny fork. 

Creme brulee is the universe's gift and should NEVER be squandered.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Acceptance is more or less where I'm already at, I think. I'm not sad or upset about who I am or what I look like now. It doesn't cause me distress or anything. I just want to improve, and this is the way that seems to make the most sense to me. And to be clear, not seeing immediate and steady results isn't a problem either. I am expecting to be active for the long term, and even just learning what equilibrium looks like would be a nice barometer. 

Also, my personality is already perfect, so, CHECK! (That's a joke but tackling who I am as a person psychologically is a much harder egg to crack than looking nice... maybe we'll get into it later).

Yep, that's acceptance, without becoming complacent. For all you know, you might even be at your equilibrium already, and may or may not see any immediate results of anything because of that?

And of course your personality already is perfect. Like a sword, we work on our personality it to hone the edge and maintain the strength of the blade itself. But a rapier remains a rapier, and a katana remains a katana. :)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

And of course your personality already is perfect. Like a sword, we work on our personality it to hone the edge and maintain the strength of the blade itself. But a rapier remains a rapier, and a katana remains a katana. :)

And a broadsword remains a tastefullyelegantsword. Don't be a neanderthal. :P

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grumble said:

And a broadsword longsword remains a tastefullyelegantsword. Don't be a neanderthal. :P

FTFY.

I default to rapiers and katanas because that's what I own, so that's where my thoughts prefer to take most sword concepts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

The point of the tips was that boring-ass carbs like wonderbread and white rice have no place there. Not eating the meaningless carbs gives me more room for the ones that have more positive effects or are just more delicious.

Carb prioritising. Gotcha. I do tend to eat stir fries without rice, it doesn't add much except bulk. But without a pizza base, the salami would fall into the void, so it is necessary. 

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Like a sword, we work on our personality it to hone the edge and maintain the strength of the blade itself. 

Does this include very small fork tines? 

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Does this include very small fork tines? 

Obviously. You can use them as throwing darts, or to stab people up close.

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

But without a pizza base, the salami would fall into the void, so it is necessary. 

Pizza is not easily substitutable. There is a pretty decent low carb alternative crust one can make using primarily cheese and almond flour, but I think often times part of the joy of pizza is not having to make it yourself. I had carry-out pizza last night and that + no dishes was the biggest boon of the meal. I also put in a full workout and burned somewhere in the ballpark of 3900 calories throughout the day according to Fitbit, so I don't feel too terrible about it. But you know, everything in moderation.

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

a rapier remains a rapier, and a katana remains a katana.

I'm a bastard... sword.

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

But without a pizza base, the salami would fall into the void, so it is necessary.  

Mrs Blocky makes an amazing low carb pizza base that is essentially shredded chicken, an egg and parmesan cheese. Smoosh it flat and bake until firm.