• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber has a.. cold. Well, crap.

Week 2 in the books.

YouTube. Step one is to disable auto play on the home screen. Done. Lifting form review. No more than 1-2 per day. Right. So I actually forgot about this. But the good news is that I've spent very little "extra" time on YouTube since disabling auto-play except doing the things I went there to do. (Predominantly yoga videos.) Win!

Pre-portioned PB. I had one miss, BUT I didn't eat pb except Tuesday and Saturday. 5 days without pb for 2 consecutive weeks is better than I would have dreamed of going into this challenge.  I did have a little hiccup on Saturday in which half the jar disappeared. I attribute this to a) not being able to lift (more below) b) last bastion of coughing c) hurt myself coughing again d) was tired both in the physical "I'm tired but I don't want to go to bed yet" cranky toddler sense and also the "I'm tired of hurting/being sick" sense. Mostly c and d because I had just re-injured myself prior to getting the jar out of the cabinet.

Brain dump at least once/week.  Did this morning.

Limit mindless internet on the clock. Restart pomodoro timer work flow on days where I’ve less to do and thus not as much incentive to get ish done. This is actually also good for days when I feel like I've got way too much on my plate and can't seem to focus on what's right in front of me. This is a good note.

Daily Devo 7/7

Daily duo 6/7. Bonus: 6. I let it get too late one night and napped instead. Mostly no regrets.

Skin care 6/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 79 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 7.

#Yoga365 730 1095 . 7/7. Bonus 4.5. Half point is for one evening I called it early because I was hurting. Don't forget front split practice! Nope. Quite frankly, I forgot.

Alright. The good news is that Saturday was the first time I didn't have to take meds as soon as I rolled out of bed. So, as far as the cold, I'm about 99% of the way cured. The bad news was I spent all of last week on the bench because I couldn't lift with the rib injury. I think I mentioned I hurt it coughing? Well, I wound up hurting it again and again every other day from Apr 19 to May 1. Not fun times, though I'm grateful it wasn't worse than what it was. So, week 2 was predominantly walking and whatever yoga I could manage without hurting. (Which is actually kind of a lot. Hands-free yoga FTW.) The goodest news (yes, I'm pleased with that grammar) is that this morning I actually held a barbell in my hands again! Much woot. Such excite. (Okay, let's hope my English teacher NEVER sees this.) Anyways. I'm not fully healed yet, but I'm to the point where it only hurts if I take a deep breath (yeah, bracing my core was a bit painful), if I cough (which makes sense given that's what caused this mess to begin with) and if I lay flat on my back on the floor (but not on the couch or in bed, because that makes sense.) I'm ready to declare myself fit for light duty again. Just for giggles, here's the summary in round numbers:

Missed lift days: 7

Missed run days: 3 (1 long one and 2 mid-week milers)

Last weigh in pre-illness: 147.6

Most recent weigh in (Fri) 142 (net loss= 5.6lbs, which I assume is mostly water and not gainz)

Also of note this week, Endgame. OMG. I don't really have the right words yet, but it was just.. awesome. (Less awesome was the theater apparently shutting off the AC at some point. One does not do this in Florida to a room full of people. We all left looking like we'd just gone for a jog in the rain.) Also of note was I manged to set fire to broccoli in the microwave. Cooking skill +1.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Just for giggles, here's the summary in round numbers:

i feel like this round up is not helpful and just serves to remind you of what you missed while sick! you were sick and injured though so no points are held against you. i'm very excited that you're fit for light duty again though! keep looking forward!

16 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Also of note was I manged to set fire to broccoli in the microwave. Cooking skill +1.

uh... wha?

PerkyHatefulAsiandamselfly-size_restrict

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Limit mindless internet on the clock. Restart pomodoro timer work flow on days where I’ve less to do and thus not as much incentive to get ish done. This is actually also good for days when I feel like I've got way too much on my plate and can't seem to focus on what's right in front of me. This is a good note.

I just started trying to apply pomodoro to my work days. What timer do you use? Is it an app or a physical timer? I'm struggling to find a good one.

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i feel like this round up is not helpful and just serves to remind you of what you missed while sick! you were sick and injured though so no points are held against you. i'm very excited that you're fit for light duty again though! keep looking forward!

That's a good point. For me, it was just a way of quantifying something I had no point of reference for. I haven't gotten really sick or hurt (fortunately!) since I started taking better care of myself, goodness I guess it's been 5 years ago now. I've had a couple of off days sure, and a couple of tummy bugs. But no colds, or forced rest weeks. So I guess it was just a way of labeling it before I file it away, you know? And I'm happy with what I was able to do, even if that just meant walking in short bursts followed by naps, knowing that was the best I could do under the circumstances.

And thanks! I'm quite happy to be feeling better lol ;)

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

uh... wha?

PerkyHatefulAsiandamselfly-size_restrict

Yeah. I don't know. I just put a serving of broccoli on a plate to reheat it for a few seconds, then I glanced in and there was an orange blob. (Fortunately I hadn't moved away from it, where I normally would have.) I shut it off and it waited a second to pull it out. It melted the foam plate it was on, charred a piece of greenery and smell vaguely of electrical fire. I inspected it carefully, thinking maybe somehow some bit of foil or something was there. But, nothing but broc and a bit of butter. Beats me.

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

I just started trying to apply pomodoro to my work days. What timer do you use? Is it an app or a physical timer? I'm struggling to find a good one.

I use a cube timer similar to these that I picked up off a stocking stuffer rack at Target. They were cheap, and I like having a tangible thing versus constantly looking at my phone. It's easier to just turn the timer over if I get interrupted by a call versus fumbling to unlock my phone, turn off the timer, finish call, unlock phone, reset timer, etc. The only downside(s) are having to remember to turn it off entirely when I leave for the day, so that it doesn't kill the battery, and non-adjustable timer durations. (Which would be handy for timing rest periods during lifting, etc.) It also would've been nice to have a cheery sound versus an alarm beep. But I'm picky about those things. (I blame the Barbie alarm clock I had as a child.)

6 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

So I guess it was just a way of labeling it before I file it away

good :)

do you normally put styrofoam plates in the microwave? i thought that was a no-no?

8 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I use a cube timer similar to these that I picked up off a stocking stuffer rack at Target. They were cheap, and I like having a tangible thing versus constantly looking at my phone. It's easier to just turn the timer over if I get interrupted by a call versus fumbling to unlock my phone, turn off the timer, finish call, unlock phone, reset timer, etc. The only downside(s) are having to remember to turn it off entirely when I leave for the day, so that it doesn't kill the battery, and non-adjustable timer durations. (Which would be handy for timing rest periods during lifting, etc.) It also would've been nice to have a cheery sound versus an alarm beep. But I'm picky about those things. (I blame the Barbie alarm clock I had as a child.)

With the complete lack of real walls in my work environment environment (cube farm), a timer that beeps unfortunately will not work. I need one that will blink at me, and installing stuff on my work computer is not an option. I do like the idea of a timer that is easy to pause for interruptions though.

10 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

do you normally put styrofoam plates in the microwave? i thought that was a no-no?

Some styrofoam can handle it. Other styrofoam melts.

21 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

good :)

Actually, I typically use paper plates. But they were out, so I grabbed some foam ones. But, I regularly use foam ones at work without trouble. I just try to do it in 1 minute bursts and listen out for sizzling sounds.

9 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Some styrofoam can handle it. Other styrofoam melts.

Yes, I have had it melt through if I put it in too long. Particularly if it is something with a sauce.

16 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

With the complete lack of real walls in my work environment environment (cube farm), a timer that beeps unfortunately will not work. I need one that will blink at me, and installing stuff on my work computer is not an option. I do like the idea of a timer that is easy to pause for interruptions though.

This cube timer looks like you can set it to just light up?

• Thanks 1

99% cured and barbell in hand, yay! Lighting broccoli on fire, boo! Yeah, are you sure it wasn't the plate? 

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

99% cured and barbell in hand, yay! Lighting broccoli on fire, boo! Yeah, are you sure it wasn't the plate? 

Thanks! :)

To be honest, I'm not sure. My best guess would be that some of the butter pooled up in one spot and superheated the plate. Whether then it was the plate itself, the butter or the broccoli is anyone's guess.

Also apparently our microwave is quite a bit more powerful than the one at work and as such foam plates will be acutely observed or not used at all.

20 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Yes! Thank you, I will add that to my wish list :)

Cool! Hope it works out for you! :)

• Like 1

That's Dudley the Wonder Dach. :) His eyes have launched a thousand ships loosed a thousand leftovers. (Which may have something to do with him being less weiner dog, more meatloaf with legs. Don't get me wrong though; it's all muscle. What Gimli said about dwarves being natural sprinters and very dangerous over short distances is accurate because he is FAST.) He is also a burrower and hider of treats, which is why I sometimes find dog biscuits under my pillow and pizza crust/pb sandwich crust in my blankets. He had kind of a rough start, so he's pretty pampered now.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

He is also a burrower and hider of treats, which is why I sometimes find dog biscuits under my pillow and pizza crust/pb sandwich crust in my blankets. 

How thoughtful of him. Yum. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

. What Gimli said about dwarves being natural sprinters and very dangerous over short distances is accurate because he is FAST.) He is also a burrower and hider of treats,

Clearly he has dwarf somewhere in his family tree.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Clearly he has dwarf somewhere in his family tree.

Of course. A Dackel is simply a dwarvish hound. They need the short legs for hunting Dachs. 

• Like 1

Week 3 done and done.

YouTube. Step one is to disable auto play on the home screen. Done. Lifting form review. No more than 1-2 per day. Really only have watched 1-2 a week. Not quite what I had in mind, though to be fair I wouldn't have had much opportunity to try anything out.

Pre-portioned PB. I had one miss Saturday. I knew it was coming, as I was hungry pretty much as soon as I rolled out of bed and I was craving PB even before lunch. I just did not do a good enough job of bumping my intake back up as I got back into the gym. I increased it some, just not enough. (Also coming down after shark week, so hormones were in play too.) I felt like I did a decent job of staying present with it, not just shoveling it in as fast as possible. (Can't say the same about last night, but that's a tale for another time.)

Brain dump at least once/week.  Did this morning. Wish I'd done sooner, as I woke up with a knot of anxiety in my chest. The idea of this goal was to unload before I get to that stage. Anyways. Good note moving forward.

Limit mindless internet on the clock. Restart pomodoro timer work flow on days where I’ve less to do and thus not as much incentive to get ish done. To be honest, had a harder time with this during week 3. Not sure why, I just didn't seem to WANT to do it.

Daily Devo 7/7

Daily duo 5/7. Bonus: 5. I let it get too late one night and napped instead. The other 'miss' I tried, but my brain said nope.

Skin care 7/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 80 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 6.

#Yoga365 730 1095 . 7/7. Bonus 3. Don't forget front split practice! Yes! Finally remembered!

Cold is done, save I still wake up with a bit of a scratchy throat every morning. Ribs are slowly mending. It mainly only hurts if I take a very deep breath, though that has improved, and if I lay flat on my back on the floor. Still some discomfort if I sit a certain way, or try to lay directly on my right side (which unfortunately is how I normally sleep.) Just feels bruised, and occasionally I get an odd trembling sensation near my bellybutton. It is getting better, little by little. Celebrating small victories along the way; being able to do push-ups pain-free, finishing a run without having to pause for coughing and/or having my side ache all day afterwards, being able to do crow pose and supine spinal twist again after not even being able to get into a third world squat or lay on the floor without pain spring to mind.

Weight dropped to 139.4 on Saturday, which is a shade over 8lb lost since the weekend before I got sick. I think that might've been too much, too quickly, TBH. I didn't set out to do it at all, I was just eating as I felt hungry (with the exception of when I couldn't taste food; then I just tried to make sure I got above a minimum threshold), and I did try to eat a little bit more once I got back to light duty work. But, I noticed I felt more tired/cold during the early part of the week, and just kinda blah during the latter. Did shark week play a role? Almost certainly. Was it the only factor? Likely not, just based on prior history. I really haven't been eating that much differently, with the notable exception of the PB. That also I think can serve as a sign post, because I had more times I thought about it, or just ate more of it than the prior weeks. Data is useful.

Also of note this week, made shrimp and 'grits', made it through first full week back with only terrible DOMS, got woken up from a nap on the couch by a frog jumping on the side of my neck, and had a very strange dream wherein my parents went on vacation and brought souvenirs for everybody (mine was a kitten named Oreo). Note: did not tell the cats about the dream, as there would've been a mutiny.

Alright, folks, let's wrap this final week with style!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Yay, glad you're slowly recovering! 

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Limit mindless internet on the clock. Restart pomodoro timer work flow on days where I’ve less to do and thus not as much incentive to get ish done. To be honest, had a harder time with this during week 3. Not sure why, I just didn't seem to WANT to do it.

I'm familiar with this feeling. Pretty much abandoned all my mindfulness goals this challenge. Not exactly sure what the next step is, though. 

22 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

tenor.gif

Right? I turned 31 last month and there are fewer things that I can say have never, ever happened. That was a 1st. I considered myself very fortunate that the cats did not notice said frog. One little amphibian misjudging his jump and scrambling his way the rest of the way up the couch using my neck as platform is one thing. Having several pounds of feisty felines landing on me in hunter mode would be a different story altogether. (One which would almost certainly involve scars lol)

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yay, glad you're slowly recovering! 

I'm familiar with this feeling. Pretty much abandoned all my mindfulness goals this challenge. Not exactly sure what the next step is, though. 

Thanks! Getting there day by day. :)

I think in my case it was probably more of a case of just not wanting to be reminded I was supposed to be working, for better or worse. <_<:lol:

Like all forms of self-improvement, mindfulness is a process. And for me, that occasionally means giving myself permission to NOT do something. For instance, if I were to set a goal to relax, but found myself becoming more stressed by forced relaxation, then that's not serving any purpose. It just makes me miserable. That's partly why I decided to not add any other goals to the challenge, even though initially I was going to. There's a line somewhere between doing all of the things and doing nothing. I think the trick is to find the sweet spot between the two, where you don't make yourself crazy trying to juggle 15 different things (or 2. I'm coordinationally-challenged.). We all reach a spot where adding things in means having to take something else out. Sometimes, that's good. (Exchanging a bad habit for a good one.) Sometimes, that's a hard choice and you decide it's not worth it. That's ok too! I think it's important to keep trying new or different things, even if it's just temporary. You never know when the one thing you thought you couldn't live without was really the one thing that was keeping you from finding your passion (hello, lifting!). Even building little habits, you still have to exert a certain amount of effort. If you're doing that ON TOP OF lifting AND adding in martial art AND adjusting to IE, then yeah, something is going to have to give somewhere. It's ok! Maybe you just do one thing? And one good thing I learned through getting sick/hurt was that resting and healing counts as doing 'something'. Adjusting to MAJOR habit changes counts as doing something. :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I think in my case it was probably more of a case of just not wanting to be reminded I was supposed to be working, for better or worse. <_<:lol:

Like all forms of self-improvement, mindfulness is a process. And for me, that occasionally means giving myself permission to NOT do something. For instance, if I were to set a goal to relax, but found myself becoming more stressed by forced relaxation, then that's not serving any purpose. It just makes me miserable. That's partly why I decided to not add any other goals to the challenge, even though initially I was going to. There's a line somewhere between doing all of the things and doing nothing. I think the trick is to find the sweet spot between the two, where you don't make yourself crazy trying to juggle 15 different things (or 2. I'm coordinationally-challenged.). We all reach a spot where adding things in means having to take something else out. Sometimes, that's good. (Exchanging a bad habit for a good one.) Sometimes, that's a hard choice and you decide it's not worth it. That's ok too! I think it's important to keep trying new or different things, even if it's just temporary. You never know when the one thing you thought you couldn't live without was really the one thing that was keeping you from finding your passion (hello, lifting!). Even building little habits, you still have to exert a certain amount of effort. If you're doing that ON TOP OF lifting AND adding in martial art AND adjusting to IE, then yeah, something is going to have to give somewhere. It's ok! Maybe you just do one thing? And one good thing I learned through getting sick/hurt was that resting and healing counts as doing 'something'. Adjusting to MAJOR habit changes counts as doing something. :)

This is really crucial insight/analysis that you should be proud of :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

resting and healing counts as doing 'something'. Adjusting to MAJOR habit changes counts as doing something

I feel like you said the same thing twice there...

I'm relearning the first part on my sprained ankle this week: Resting counts as doing something constructive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

This is really crucial insight/analysis that you should be proud of :)

Thanks!! :) Hopefully I can remember some of it the next time I have to sit on the sidelines for a bit, or things don't go quite they way I wanted them to :lol:

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I feel like you said the same thing twice there...

I'm relearning the first part on my sprained ankle this week: Resting counts as doing something constructive.

Good point. I was thinking of Harriet's habits, but of course we've all had major changes/disruptions to our habits too!

Oh, Ouch! I hope you're back on your feet soon (literally and figuratively)! If it makes you feel any better, that was the thing I struggled with most. Even though I didn't have a choice but to rest, it took some time before I was okay with it, and a little longer still before I really accepted that I was doing the right thing.

• Like 1