• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tzippi Tastes the Vinegar

If you've read the Tao of Pooh (and if you haven't, consider it!), you might remember the allegorical image referenced at the beginning of the Vinegar Tasters, in which three men taste from the same vat of vinegar, one tasting sourness, one bitterness, and one sweetness. These three are representations of the three major religions/philosophies of China, Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism. The vinegar is life, and the men each taste it differently. Tai Chi, which I have begun studying and is a hugely positive practice in my life, is largely based on Taoist philosophy. 

Vinegar_tasters.jpg

I'm not going to get very deep into Confucianism, Buddhism, or Taoism, as I am at best a tourist and at worst completely ignorant of them. Instead, I am going to use my battered copy of The Tao of Pooh to look at what I want to do in my life, as I get a little deeper into my goals, study of Tai Chi, and continue to grow and refine. The "theme" of this challenge is halfway between using the three vinegar tasters as my models and metaphor, and using the characters from the Hundred-Acre Woods as the same. 

71TigG559hL._SL1000_.jpg

Taking my inspiration from the inimitable @sarakingdom and @Mistr, I am building on last challenge's success by adding tiny incremental goals to enhance my new habits, rather than adding a million new ones.

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

Body and mind - 

* Continue to support my Tai Chi practice with daily work, whether class, Tai Chi practice, or some other exercise. 

* Once per week, one weight workout or long walk/hike. Could be body weight, or a hammer.

Poetry and Hums -

* Continue with daily (more often nightly) five-minute+ meditation. Got Calm subscription, starting with the Pooh meditations.

* Using my MyOmer App, count the omer every evening.

* Once per week, one longer meditation. Try different stuff, report and review here. I may start with metta meditation:

Rumbly in my Tumbly - 

* Three servings of vegetables a day.

* Plant more stuff in the garden. Herbs? Will it get warm enough for cukes, zucchs, and tomatoes?

gratitude.jpg

• Like 4

My last challenge went pretty well overall, and it had three constants and a few one-time goals.

* Exercise daily to support my Tai Chi Practice.

* Eat two servings of vegetables a day.

* Meditate daily, 5 minutes or more.

I want to continue these goals, and maybe move one step further on them. 

Some options:

Continue Tai Chi practice, add n strength-building workouts per week?

Continue Tai Chi practice, add n walks per week.

^ Maybe some combination of the two?

Add some sort of food prep/cooking element to the vegetable intake?

I succeeded quite well on the mediation practice, and also my gratitude journaling. Not sure what to do to expand this section.

• Like 3

I have The Tao of Pooh audiobook on my request list at the library, from my last dive into Avatar. (Interestingly, I learned Zen is actually a fusion of Buddhism and Taoism.)

Strength and cardio are both good options.

How about a third vegetable?

Meditation, maybe something like doing one longish meditation per week in addition to the regular daily goal, or trying a new type of meditation? I like a guided metta meditation sometimes; keeps the brain weasels at bay.

I like the simplicity of this challenge. Very doable, and very worthwhile to reinforce a previous challenge's habits.

• Like 2

(PS, congratulations on a strong finish to the last challenge! IIRC, you said last challenge that that's not your prior pattern. I'm very glad you resisted the temptation to go for a twenty-item challenge in celebration. Good job on not overwhelming your brain. Slow and steady. This challenge feels like your goals are becoming pretty solid habits.)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I have The Tao of Pooh audiobook on my request list at the library, from my last dive into Avatar. (Interestingly, I learned Zen is actually a fusion of Buddhism and Taoism.)

Strength and cardio are both good options.

How about a third vegetable?

Meditation, maybe something like doing one longish meditation per week in addition to the regular daily goal, or trying a new type of meditation? I like a guided metta meditation sometimes; keeps the brain weasels at bay.

I like the simplicity of this challenge. Very doable, and very worthwhile to reinforce a previous challenge's habits.

45 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

(PS, congratulations on a strong finish to the last challenge! IIRC, you said last challenge that that's not your prior pattern. I'm very glad you resisted the temptation to go for a twenty-item challenge in celebration. Good job on not overwhelming your brain. Slow and steady. This challenge feels like your goals are becoming pretty solid habits.)

Thank YOU. As I was starting this thread, I had you in my head like the angel of reasonableness (as opposed to the cartoon ones on my shoulders).

• Like 1

Since Tao of the Pooh is mentioned, I feel like I should tag @Heidi here. Also, HAAAAAI TZIPPI! SO HAPPY YOU'RE BACK, HAVE A GRRRRREAT CHALLENGE!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Thank YOU. As I was starting this thread, I had you in my head like the angel of reasonableness (as opposed to the cartoon ones on my shoulders).

That is probably the first and last time I'll ever get a compliment like that, so I'm savoring it. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Since Tao of the Pooh is mentioned, I feel like I should tag @Heidi here. Also, HAAAAAI TZIPPI! SO HAPPY YOU'RE BACK, HAVE A GRRRRREAT CHALLENGE!

Thanks! I'm kicking it with the Monks to focus on my Tai Chi, but my heart will always be a little Ranger. I'll stop in sometime soon.

• Like 1

I agree with @sarakingdom, building on your previous goals is a good practice. Something like "continue doing Tai Chi and meditation, add X and Y".  You have already identified a bunch of possibilities. Pick just two or three out of that list.

You can have an additional goal of testing out other things you might include in future challenges. That gives you credit for doing them without bogging down your challenge in too many things.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Hi, @Tzippi LongstockingsLongstockings

Nice to meet you!

How's that Tao thing coming along?

Week 0

Down in LA for Passover. So far, have run weeStockings around the hotel, and noted that there is a pool, and we brought swim diapers! So that'll be some good exercise. Otherwise, plan to practice my form when he's napping.

Chag sameach to those who celebrate Pesach, Good Holy weekend and Easter to those who celebrate that, Happy Springtime in the Northern Hemisphere and Happy Fall in the Antipodes!

Really want another tattoo . . .

Hmmm.  . .

• Like 3

I'm following here too!  Sporadic as usual but thinking of you....  

<wanders out looking for the tao of pooh>

WEEK ONE - Monday and Tuesday

Monday was a travel day, but I got a lot of delicious veggies, including a giant bowl of borscht at Uncle Bernie's Delicatessen in LA. With whitefish on matzah, my perfect Passover lunch. I ended up walking up and down the San Jose airport with weeStockings, which I am counting as a long hike for the purpose of daily exercise, but not weekly challenge. I meditated briefly before bed.

Tuesday was our first whole day home. My lettuce and spinach are going crazy in my garden, so the salads are getting easy. Practiced my form several times after Game of Thrones but before bed. I can't remember how to get from White Snake climbs down the vine to Fair maiden throws the shuttle to Pluck the needle from the sea. Good news in, Saturday is WORLD TAI CHI DAY so I'll have lots of time to play, meditate, and practice in lieu of normal class. Eeyore meditation at night, almost finished the Milne characters series.

In other news,had an interview Tuesday, really hoping I get it. The walks in the area are great! 

• Like 2

WEEK ONE, Wednesday  4/24

You know what's a lot of work? Harvesting  gallon of dandelion blossoms to make wine with.

Exercise for today, BIG CHECK.

Lots of greens, with spinach in the pottoes and a big salad with roasted sesame dressing. 

Will meditate before bed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

WEEK ONE, Wednesday  4/24

You know what's a lot of work? Harvesting  gallon of dandelion blossoms to make wine with.

I have plenty in my yard if you need more! I decided to not fight the battle with them in the front lawn this year. Sounds like a great workout! 

• Like 1

Yay for having fresh salad from your garden! I'm thinking of planting salad greens. Not before next week though, because we are getting snow on Saturday.

Good luck on the new job.