• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky does moderately difficult things...

Week 4 - Mon

Training:

New training block.

Squats: 5's at 90kg with a few backdowns at 85kg.

Sumo Block Pulls: 1 at 160 (RPE 7ish), many 3's at 140kg.

2s Pause Bench: worked up to 1 at 110kg.

Leg Press and back extensions.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 2 submitted, 1 at 70% (Due next Fri), 2 @ 0% (still have some time for these). Caught up on some lectures I've been putting off.

• Like 2

Week 4 - Wed

Training:

Bench off 2 boards: singles at 120kg (RPE 8), 125kg (RPE 8.5) and 130kg (RPE 9), then many 5's at 100kg. No shoulder pain using the boards.

Pendlay rows: many triples at 90kg.

3s Pause Squat: 60kg for many triples. Just trying to get used to the bottom position - that's the bit for me that sucks with the adductor issue.

Pushups: 6 x 10.

Pullups: many 5's

Accessories: rope pushdowns, hammer curls and facepulls.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 2 submitted, 1 at 95% (Due Fri), 2 @ 10% (still have some time for these). Also have 3 weeks until the exams.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JessFit said:

Do you do your own programming or follow a specific plan or have someone do programming for you? 

It's all my own nonsense... A mixture of conjugate, RPE based stuff and other shit I've learned over the years.

I just can't stand the thought of letting someone else have direct control over one of the most important things in my life. It may not be perfect, but everytime I screw something up with programming, I definitely learn from it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blocky said:

It's all my own nonsense... A mixture of conjugate, RPE based stuff and other shit I've learned over the years.

I just can't stand the thought of letting someone else have direct control over one of the most important things in my life. It may not be perfect, but everytime I screw something up with programming, I definitely learn from it.

I admire this, I know a lot, but I always second guess and doubt myself, so I'm thrilled with someone else tells me what to lift. Otherwise I get stuck in my own head and don't make progress. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Blocky said:

That makes sense to me. A trainer at my gym did offer me a training programme for free, but I said no. He was sharing some of what he'd learned in his classes--women tend to do better with higher reps etc. I mean, it's cool that's he's learning some stuff and sweet that he offered his services, but it wasn't going to work for me. I know what I like, what I hate, what I already tried and found ineffective. And I just didn't feel like explaining my entire medical background and everything I've learned about myself to set him straight. Figured I'd just keep doing what I'm doing. I think my programmes may get more complex as I learn more, but I only add or change things slowly, so I have a chance to see how they play out.

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

A trainer at my gym did offer me a training programme for free, but I said no. He was sharing some of what he'd learned in his classes--women tend to do better with higher reps etc. I mean, it's cool that's he's learning some stuff and sweet that he offered his services, but it wasn't going to work for me. I know what I like, what I hate, what I already tried and found ineffective. And I just didn't feel like explaining my entire medical background and everything I've learned about myself to set him straight. Figured I'd just keep doing what I'm doing.

Sticking with what we like to do in the face of expert advice, is not as easy as it sounds. Good for you. 

• Like 1

Week 4 - Fri

Training:

SSB squats: 5's at 85kg. Still hard, still feels weird but depth was on point.

Beltless DL: 1 at 155kg, 5's at 125kg (seriously undershot my RPE here - I was expecting this to be close to an RPE 8, but it was under 7)

Leg press and back extensions.

I monkeyed around with my DL setup and tightness and noticed 2 things: my back feels generally more stressed/worked... BUT the area around my SI joint feels just fine. I'll see how it goes in the morning, but I might just keep doing the same things for a few weeks to let it settle down.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 3 submitted, 1 at 20% (Due in 2 weeks), 1 @ 10% (Also due in 2 weeks). Also have 3 weeks until the exams.

• Like 4

Week 4 - Sat

Training:

Neutral grip Bench: I realised  fucked up last week when I said that this variation was close to my normal bench - I forgot that the swiss bar is 10kg lighter than a BB. So it's a little under. Did singles at 100kg (RPE 8) and 105 (RPE 9), then 3's at 90kg.

Pendlay Row: 5's at 85kg.

Bench vs 10kg bands: 8's at 70kg + 10kg at lockout.

Seated rows, bench dips, curls and facepulls.

Decent training session with minimal shoulder pain. Win!

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 3 submitted, 1 at 20% (Due in 2 weeks), 1 @ 10% (Also due in 2 weeks). Also have 3 weeks until the exams. Did Russian today, wasn't too bad. Some of it seems to be sticking.

• Like 2

Challenge Wrap up:

GOALS

No STR goals - still running a moderate intensity program and not expecting any PRs to fall.

Don't re-destroy my adductor: +1 CON for a working leg at the end of the challenge.

Follow the program without going off book: +1 CON, +1 WIS

Submit all my assessments: +1 WIS

Do well on those assessments: +1 INT for each good result

RESULTS

+1 CON for having an undamaged adductor

+1 CON / +1 WIS for following the program (this is harder than you would think)

+1 WIS for remembering to submit all my assessments (nearly forgot to submit 1)

+1 INT for doing pretty dang good on assessments. Everything was above 80% with 1 at 90% and 1 exam at 100%.

I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm still settling into a university routine and constantly get sidetracked by other things (having personal training clients at random times does make it hard to stick to a schedule). The only thing I could have done better (even though it wasn't a goal per se) is remembering to do some Russian practice.

Also pretty happy with the adductor rehab. I'm taking it a lot slower than I usually would but it seems to be paying off. If I had to give it a score I would say I'm around 70% of the way there. Still get some random aches and pains but it's feeling more stable and I no longer have the constant fear of it ripping apart again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blocky said:

+1 WIS for remembering to submit all my assessments (nearly forgot to submit 1)

+1 INT for doing pretty dang good on assessments. Everything was above 80% with 1 at 90% and 1 exam at 100%.

Awesome that you turned in every assignment and got some smashing marks!

5 hours ago, Blocky said:

Also pretty happy with the adductor rehab. I'm taking it a lot slower than I usually would but it seems to be paying off. If I had to give it a score I would say I'm around 70% of the way there. Still get some random aches and pains but it's feeling more stable and I no longer have the constant fear of it ripping apart again.

giphy.gif