• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky does moderately difficult things...

Week 2 - Fri

Blergh... today was good and bad. Squatting went well (for a given value of "well") but then my SI joint decided to be a dick for deadlifting.

Training:

Squats: 8's at 75kg

Block Pulls: 1 at 170kg, 5's at 140kg

Lunges: lots with a 10kg weight

SL DLs + 10kg chains: 8's at 100kg

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have a clear(ish) plan on getting them finished... now I just need to find the time.

Also worth noting that, even though I'm paying a small fortune for so called "higher learning", we made paper airplanes today as an example of "collaborative effort within teams"... go figure...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blocky said:

Also worth noting that, even though I'm paying a small fortune for so called "higher learning", we made paper airplanes today as an example of "collaborative effort within teams"... go figure...

It sounds like you're getting your money's worth! :encouragement:

The fire alarm thing cracked me up. I do hope it's all worth it in the end.

9 hours ago, Blocky said:

I've come to the conclusion that both of my college educations were not worth what I paid for them, and the majority of the value that I got out of them were from outside of classroom experiences. That being said, making paper airplanes sounds exactly on par with college. I'm sorry it is so frustrating. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blocky said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Making teams with business-y, efficient sounding words to make something you could do by yourself with no fuss. Did you appoint a team leader, have a meeting with minutes (and an agenda), then "action" your plan? 

Hope your SIJ gets better. Is that sacroiliac, by the way? I have no idea how I even know that term. Probably all the googling of lifts and programmes and muscles over the last year has exposed me to some anatomy. 

2 minutes ago, JessFit said:

I've come to the conclusion that both of my college educations were not worth what I paid for them

Only 1 college education bought and paid for here but I basically threw that diploma in the trash and started learning an entire new field from scratch on my own, at home with nothing but whiskey and a laptop. Even with pretty good whiskey, it's a much better value IMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

It sounds like you're getting your money's worth! :encouragement:

16 hours ago, JessFit said:

I've come to the conclusion that both of my college educations were not worth what I paid for them, and the majority of the value that I got out of them were from outside of classroom experiences. That being said, making paper airplanes sounds exactly on par with college. I'm sorry it is so frustrating. 

Super frustrating.

My cell biology class spent more time than we should of, making models of cell structure with felt and beads...

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Making teams with business-y, efficient sounding words to make something you could do by yourself with no fuss. Did you appoint a team leader, have a meeting with minutes (and an agenda), then "action" your plan?  

Yeah... we googled it. And after we got called out for cheating our repsonse was "our design is backed by credible evidence"...

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

Hope your SIJ gets better. Is that sacroiliac, by the way? I have no idea how I even know that term. Probably all the googling of lifts and programmes and muscles over the last year has exposed me to some anatomy.  

Correct. About 5 years ago, it had popped out of place (constant pain and a propensity to rotate my position in the bottom of the squat) and took many visits to a osteopath to put it back in. It stayed in for a good 3 years but is starting to be a dick again. I'm going to scale back the lowerback stuff next week and see if it comes good.

• Like 1

Week 2 - Sat

Training:

Closegrip Bench: 1 at 115kg (RPE 8.5), 5's at 90kg.

BB Rows: 8's at 60kg.

DB Bench: 8's with the 25kg DBs.

Seated rows, pushdowns, curls.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting...

Week 3 - Mon

I've been feeling a bit beat up over the last few weeks, so I decided to do a pivot week before I kick off another 6 week block.

Things were weird... I put in some sumo block pulls, expecting to maybe hit 100kg (I assumed that because the starting position puts more tension through the adductor, that I would struggle), but it felt really good and strong and I'm not entirely sure why.

Training:

Squats: This felt really good today, worked up to 5's at 85kg... 100kg is in sight. (This is technically an 85kg gain in 7 weeks)

Sumo Block Pulls: many. many sets of 3, up to 3 x 3 at 140kg.

2 count Pause Bench with Slingshot: up to a single at 115kg.

Leg Press: 8's up to 160kg

Lots of back extensions.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 1 at 95% complete (due Wed), 1 at 80% (due Fri), 1 at 70% (Due Fri, I think), 2 @ 0% (still have some time for these).

• Like 3

On 5/7/2019 at 2:18 AM, scalyfreak said:

Wait, what? It's Week 3 already!?!?

Apparently... I have no concept of time though and all my university due dates are given to us as week 7, week 8 etc..., then there's the NF weeks and then there's training weeks... so much to keep track of.

Week 3 - Wed

Training:

Bench + 10kg chains AND + slingshot (because why tf not): 1 at 120kg (RPE 8), 5's at 90kg.

Seated row: up to 8 at 65kg

Pushups: 5 x 10 just to test out the shoulder

Light Box Squats

Bench dips and curls.

Shoulder pain is annoying the fuck out of me... so next training block, I'm going to focus on board presses and floor presses - pretty much just going to avoid touching my chest with the bar for a little bit.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 1 submitted, 1 at 95% (due Fri), 1 at 70% (Due Fri, I think), 2 @ 0% (still have some time for these).

In other news - our cat has been missing for 3 days and I'm not optimistic that he's coming back. He has stuck to a rigid routine for 5 years and this is extremely out of character. Wifey and I are sad....

• Sad 4

7 hours ago, Blocky said:

Shoulder pain is annoying the fuck out of me... so next training block, I'm going to focus on board presses and floor presses - pretty much just going to avoid touching my chest with the bar for a little bit.

In other news - our cat has been missing for 3 days and I'm not optimistic that he's coming back. He has stuck to a rigid routine for 5 years and this is extremely out of character. Wifey and I are sad....

Oh no! So sorry that your cat is missing :( 

Also sorry about your shoulder. It seems unfair to have a problem adductor and a problem shoulder at the same time.

sorry to hear about your cat! how old are they? just 5 years?

also that's annoying about assignment due dates not being actual real dates. i feel like we made a calendar for good reasons...

8 hours ago, Blocky said:

I am sad for you. I hope he comes back!

On 5/9/2019 at 12:05 AM, JessFit said:

I'm so sorry about your kitty, hugs. 

On 5/9/2019 at 12:11 AM, Harriet said:

Oh no! So sorry that your cat is missing :(

On 5/9/2019 at 1:00 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

sorry to hear about your cat! how old are they? just 5 years?

On 5/9/2019 at 1:18 AM, scalyfreak said:

I am sad for you. I hope he comes back!

On 5/9/2019 at 3:06 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

Sorry to hear about your cat! :( Hope he comes home!

On 5/9/2019 at 6:18 AM, miss_marissa said:

sorry to hear about your cat :(

Thanks guys... still no cat. I have pretty much given up. Wifey is still hoping against hope that he'll come back. In fairness we do know some people who have reported that their cats wander off for weeks at a time.

We've been out looking around the neighbourhood, but didn't see a single cat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/9/2019 at 12:11 AM, Harriet said:

Also sorry about your shoulder. It seems unfair to have a problem adductor and a problem shoulder at the same time.

And also my SI joint... I've got all the bits covered.

• Like 1

Week 3 - Fri

Training:

Squats with SSB: 5's up to 85kg. Trying something a bit different. The more upright posture with this bar is helping me hit depth without too many issues, but is till a little weaker overall. I am planning to alternate normal squats and SSB squats in the next block.

Comp DL: 5's at 120kg beltless. Feels weird pulling from the floor after the last 9 weeks pulling from blocks.

Leg Press and back extensions for accessories.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 2 submitted, 1 at 70% (Due next Fri), 2 @ 0% (still have some time for these).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

And also my SI joint... I've got all the bits covered.

Oh, yeah. Are you sure you don't just want to take an ibuprofen and lay down quietly in a darkened room? 

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

Squats with SSB: 5's up to 85kg. Trying something a bit different. The more upright posture with this bar is helping me hit depth without too many issues, but is till a little weaker overall. I am planning to alternate normal squats and SSB squats in the next block.

Comp DL: 5's at 120kg beltless. Feels weird pulling from the floor after the last 9 weeks pulling from blocks.

Still assignmenting... I have 2 submitted, 1 at 70% (Due next Fri), 2 @ 0% (still have some time for these).

The lifts look good to me, but it's hard to tell because your light is my impossible :D Are those deadlifts close to your limits or just warmups? 

Good, good. Keep writing them knowledgy paper thingybobs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

The lifts look good to me, but it's hard to tell because your light is my impossible :D Are those deadlifts close to your limits or just warmups? 

The DLs are very light for me. My 5RM is 160ish kg, 1RM 220kg. I usually start warming up with 100kg, so 120kg should feel better than it currently does

• Like 1

Week 3 - Sat

Training:

Still on a pivot week and trying new stuff.

Bench with Swiss bar (basically a neutral grip bench): 1 at 105kg, 5's at 80kg. I might be onto a winner here. I've never used it before, so my skill level is not great, but I still got within spitting distance of the weights I'm doing with a straight bar AND with no shoulder pain. I tink I might run this for the next block in one of my bench slots and see what happens.

Seated rows: 10's up to 55kg

DB Bench: 20kg DBs for 10, 14, 18, 18 (I had some weird wrist weakness - I think from using the swiss bar - and I was close to dropping the DB in my left hand.

Rope pushdowns and hammer curls.

Brainy Stuff:

Still assignmenting... I have 2 submitted, 1 at 70% (Due next Fri), 2 @ 0% (still have some time for these). I also did my first Russian lesson in 4 weeks and felt a bit rusty but wasn't too bad.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Blocky said:

The DLs are very light for me. My 5RM is 160ish kg, 1RM 220kg. I usually start warming up with 100kg, so 120kg should feel better than it currently does

That's a huge difference between your 5 and 1RMs! I'm pretty sure the different between mine would be about 10lb. Anyway, 220kg is absolutely awesome. I hope you can get back to heavies soon. Is the adductor preventing it? Or is it just not part of your training atm?

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:23 AM, Harriet said:

I hope you can get back to heavies soon. Is the adductor preventing it?

^This. The adductor does not like being squished (ie: the bottom of the deadlift and squat) OR beind stretched (ie: the lockout on deadlifts).