• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CYO

CYO's First Challenge :)

Hi,

I'm really excited to start my first challenge! I was introduced to Nerd Fitness a few weeks ago by a friend and was itching to start straight away (shout out to the lovely Darkfoxx for roping me in).

While I was waiting for the next challenge to start I thought about my long term goal which simply was to feel healthy. I then broke this goal down into four categories; fitness, nutrition, beauty and mental health. I built a list of habits under each categorie that, if I could ingrained them into my daily life, would make me feel like I was achieving my goal and being an ok adult at the same time.

I am generally really terrible at sticking to diets or fitness regimens because I've only ever focused on losing to weight, quickly, by using methods that aren't sustainable in the long run.  The concept of setting achievable goals and building good habits one challenge at a time is why I'm so excited about joining the NF community. So without any more rambling, my habits for my first challenge are:

• Fitness: Minimum 30 minutes of exercise 6x week
• Nutrition: Drink 2.5l of water a day
• Beauty: Floss daily
• Mental health: Breathing exercises 2x day

Thanks for reading :)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

Welcome! I like your goals, they are good routine builders. What kinds of workouts are you going to do?

Thanks!  I have a weights routine that I follow targeting a different muscle group each day.

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion.

It's so nice to see mental health challenges, too many people forget that mental health is health too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, it's great to be part of such a supportive community, particularly one that includes Dr. Who GIFs :biggrin-new:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CYO said:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, it's great to be part of such a supportive community, particularly one that includes Dr. Who GIFs :biggrin-new:

That's a dangerous request. We can get very gify...

Smile GIF - Happy Smile DrWho GIFs

Doctorwho 9th GIF - Doctorwho 9th Ninth GIFs

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

That's a dangerous request. We can get very gify...

Smile GIF - Happy Smile DrWho GIFs

Doctorwho 9th GIF - Doctorwho 9th Ninth GIFs

Looks like I've finally found my people, haha :D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CYO said:

RClA.gif

And welcome. Always nice to see someone prioritize mental health alongside the physical health. They go together, and improving one tends to improve the other.

• Thanks 1

Ok, I've been avoiding doing my first update because the wheels have already fallen off the wagon :ambivalence:

Day 1: I was off to a flying start and hit all four targets without any issue.

Day 2 & 3: I was sick so didn't get to the gym, I still completed my 3 other habits so not a total loss.

But it is still early days so I'm certain I can build momentum from here.  I'm flying to Baku tomorrow and will be without a gym so I'm going to focus on keeping my step count up and doing body weight exercises while I'm away.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's hard to check in with less than good news. I think you'll find that when you do we are an awfully supportive group. I've been there, and this place was there for me. 

I was posting almost verbatim.

14 minutes ago, CYO said:

Ok, I've been avoiding doing my first update because the wheels have already fallen off the wagon :ambivalence:

I'd be hard pressed to find a group that will be more supportive than the NF forums. Even if it's a bad week, tell us about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CYO said:
Day 2 & 3: I was sick so didn't get to the gym, I still completed my 3 other habits so not a total loss.

This is not an accurate statement.

If you managed to stay on target with every other goal except the one that circumstances outside of your control forced you to step away from for a few days, that's a win. So is having the wisdom to take a break from exercise when your body needs time to rest and heal. Day 2 & 3 should be counted as "successful under unexpected circumstances", which actually makes them a win.

Stick around in this supportive community and you'll notice that we have slightly different definitions of the words "winning" and "success" than most other communities do. And for the record, our definitions are the correct ones. ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:59 PM, CYO said:

sounds like one of the horses threw a bit of a flaky when it saw a pothole, but I reckon your wheels will see you through a good few miles yet :) just calm the horse and get right back up there into the driving seat! you've got this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the encouragement!

I'm back home now and was able to hit my targets most days while in Baku.

Drinking 2.5l of water a day was my main weakness, I just had to keep reminding myself when we were out and about.  On the plus side, trying to drink my water quota for the day meant less/no room for beer so my liver is pretty happy with me.

Exercise got dialled down to walking everywhere which just didn't feel like I was doing enough.  I wanted to do some body weight exercises but wasn't disciplined enough to wake up earlier to do them, something i will focus on my next trip.

Anyway back home for the moment and ready to keep up the momentum!
  • Like 4

Whip hoo! Way to go for not falling to complete pieces during vacation + jumping right back on that horse upon return!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk