• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Slowly, but surely, my eating is getting better again. I'm eating bananas instead of cookies, drink buttermilk at lunch to feel full for longer, actually eat whole-grain sandwiches again, and my mindlessly eating chocolate has reduced. While weight-loss is not a goal of mine at the moment, it would not hurt me to start losing a little by eating like a responsible adult. I'm 4kg heavier than 4 years ago, and significantly less muscular as well. I saw in the past that when I'm in a good mental state, I eat such that I lose weight very slowly without putting in any effort. I think it's funny to see that my eating habits are already picking up again now that I'm doing somewhat better mentally.

I'm still not entirely great though, I still have trouble with decision-making. For example, I don't know if I should go for a run and/or climbing today, as I moved somewhat too much yesterday and I don't know if I should give my legs a rest. There's plenty more examples, but in the end I don't do a lot, since I don't know if doing the thing would be better than doing something else, and the indecision takes away any energy to actually do one of the two.

Anyway, yesterday I spent more than 4 hours in total on light and moderate exercise (walking, biking and yoga), which is way more than I would have been able to handle a month ago. This morning I also already got my walk in, and started dusting out my administration of the past half a year. I'm also considering if I should sign up for a 5k in the region at the 23rd of June. It would help with accountability, but it is also a bit scary and I have no idea if I can keep injury-free until then.

• Like 5

In the past, I have signed up for events in hopes that would make me do things to prepare. It mostly worked out. :) When I first started at here at NF, I signed up for a Spartan Sprint race. It was months and months away, but I think it helped. Though, I wasn't ready at all by then still haha. I also had signed up to run a 5K before I was ever able to even run that much. I think I finished up to the 2 miles mark when I went to run the 5K. It was the farthest I ever ran in my life, and I was able to complete run it all. It was a great feeling :)

• Like 3

I think Tateman is right, even if something happens, the registration for the event probably isn't that much, and it's going to a cause you probably support, so if you couldn't make it for whatever reason, you can still count it as a financial donation mentally (if not literally)... and if you do get to make it, then you've got something to hold you accountable and to actually work towards. It's kind of a win-win right?

Great to hear you're in a good place right now, love to see that :)

• Like 1

Actually, a few hours after I typed my last comment, my hip really started playing up after my run :(. I just went to a physical therapist, and my running technique is causing problems with two muscles. I'm not allowed to run this week, and have some exercises to stretch up the muscles and improve core stability. The good news is that I'm allowed to walk, even though it causes a little pain, but yeah, not good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Needless to say, I did not end the challenge strong :(. Unfortunately, I could also not keep the evening routine up, even though the morning routine is solid now. I also really like my weekday routines, so I will try to keep these up. 

Generally, I feel much more energetic now than a month ago. I think this in large because I'm starting to see progress again both at work and at home. I'm really sad that I got injured and cannot run anymore, especially because I started to see progress there as well. On the other hand, I won't have to worry about being too stiff anymore once the physical therapist is through with me. 

I'm not sure what I want to do for next challenge. Obviously, the exercises that my physical therapist gave/will give me to do every day. I will go on holiday for a week as well, which makes a challenge even more complicated. Maybe a flexibility goal? Strength? Number of steps? Larger routines? I'll have to think about it...

• Like 3

On 5/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, Waanie said:

I feel much more energetic now than a month ago

Then the challenge is a success, I'd say. You may have not achieved all of your specific goals, but you've set a better foundation for your next moves.

Sorry about your hip. That sucks. What's the problem with your running technique? Can you fix it easily after you are recovered?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Then the challenge is a success, I'd say. You may have not achieved all of your specific goals, but you've set a better foundation for your next moves.

Sorry about your hip. That sucks. What's the problem with your running technique? Can you fix it easily after you are recovered?

Yeah, I agree it was a success (which is also why I did not calculate percentages) :).

My problem with my running technique is that I place my feet in front of each other, instead of on two separate lines. This requires my core to compensate a lot, which it cannot do, and therefore my iliopsoas (hip-flexor) and adductors take over. They are not meant to do this, hence the pain. The good news is that I can still do daily stuff, although long walks cause some pain. Climbing is possible, as long as I do easy routes that go straight up. It's not much, but better than nothing.

For my new challenge, I will focus on flexibility (including physio exercises). I also need to play the clarinet more often and keep my house clean now that it is liveable, so I think I have my goals. Challenge will be posted later today ;).

• Like 2