• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guzzi

Paleo Pancakes - help please!

I like to make paleo pancakes using bananas, eggs and coconut flour but I find the texture slightly off.  I do occasionally make them using a little regular flour and find the texture much better.  My question is, what flour (or combination of flours) gives the best results?  

Just nix the flour altogether - 2 eggs to 1 medium banana + cinnamon works just as well. Coconut flour is predominantly insoluable fiber, rather than the starch in grain-based flours - hence the gritty texture. If you wanted a wheat-free option, you could try chickpea or rye flour. If you want something that's neither grain nor legume, try almond/hazelnut/any nut flour, plantain, tigernut, or cassava.

7 hours ago, Defining said:

Just nix the flour altogether - 2 eggs to 1 medium banana + cinnamon works just as well.

I used to to make them this way but I much prefer them with a little flour, they can be a bit soggy otherwise.  However I have never tried adding cinnamon, this must now happen! :D 

Coconut flour is predominantly insoluable fiber, rather than the starch in grain-based flours - hence the gritty texture.

This is was my main reason for trying it with coconut flour, to increase the fibre, and they work ok, but still a little soggy. 

If you wanted a wheat-free option, you could try chickpea or rye flour. If you want something that's neither grain nor legume, try almond/hazelnut/any nut flour, plantain, tigernut, or cassava.

Have you tried any of these?  I don’t have any of them and don’t want to go buy a load of stuff that I may never use, although having chickpea flour would mean that I could make pakoras...... Hmmm :eagerness:

8 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Have you tried any of these?  I don’t have any of them and don’t want to go buy a load of stuff that I may never use, although having chickpea flour would mean that I could make pakoras...... Hmmm :eagerness:

I've tried all of them - but I typically just use plain 'ol wheat flour, since I don't have any moral or digestive issues with it. ;) My preference from the non-grain/non-legume options would be tigernut (the real nut flours taste nicer, but they're less starch and more fat). Chickpea flour can also be used for VERY filling homemade pasta - but it takes a bit of practice to handle properly, it's a sticky pain in the arse.