• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Laghail

Laghail is a Ruminant

Post poetry - Yep, I've been listening to an awkward set of Rumi poems recited to music; the awkward is that the elderly speaker has a texas twang, and my Yankee brain tells me I'm being seduced by Tommy Lee Jones.

Log calories - Not great over the weekend even though calorie intake was low-moderate by skipping Easter festivities.

Post Art - Below.

Get seven hours of sleep - Excellent. While I may have only snagged 6 last night, that's acceptable for monday, and otherwise I did 8+ Friday and Saturday.

Play with Arabic - This goal is to pick a body of poetry and work in the month of May towards getting the pronunciation down that I can recite and memorize. Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī and Mansur Al-Hallaj are the two poets that initially appeal, but goddamn Rumi insisted on writing in Persian. I'll likely play with Arabic for a month or two, then see how bad Farsi treats me.

Hallaj.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Laghail said:

This goal is to pick a body of poetry and work in the month of May towards getting the pronunciation down that I can recite and memorize. Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī and Mansur Al-Hallaj are the two poets that initially appeal, but goddamn Rumi insisted on writing in Persian. I'll likely play with Arabic for a month or two, then see how bad Farsi treats me.

Rumi has a collected works that were translated something like 20 years ago. What's the long term goal in reciting a poem in its native language if you only plan on working on the language for a month or two?

Just now, Grumble said:

Rumi has a collected works that were translated something like 20 years ago. What's the long term goal in reciting a poem in its native language if you only plan on working on the language for a month or two?

Piggy backing off this question - are you planning to research the nuances behind word choice when you're learning the pronunciation of the poems? Or just aiming to faithfully pronounce it and be able to convey the gist of the meaning in English?

Interesting goal, either way.

On the Easter festivities - how are you feeling about skipping them?

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

To recite it beautifully, and to sample the language for further study, without taking it for granted that further study will happen. I'm somewhere around C1 in German on the CEFR, but I've gotten to A1 or A2 on a number of languages. It's fun for one thing, but what I love is that feeling you get as a 13 year old when it slowly dawns on you why Archie is also into Veronica, and why your parents take long "naps" on a Sunday afternoon, and why the damn dog does the funny humping thing. You may not ever really get Jughead's deal, but a little bit of your universe makes more sense when you recognize you're saying "healthiness" when someone sneezes, or eating "good bread" at that fast casual place, and you live in "pretty land" on certain mapping systems.

20 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Piggy backing off this question - are you planning to research the nuances behind word choice when you're learning the pronunciation of the poems? Or just aiming to faithfully pronounce it and be able to convey the gist of the meaning in English?

Interesting goal, either way.

On the Easter festivities - how are you feeling about skipping them?

We'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes. Russian didn't agree with me and I blame @Blocky, Icelandic is hard but damn pretty, Chinese is easy but the endless vocab to be learned in three systems is exhausting (to which all the Japanese and Norwegian learners roll their eyes and suggest I hold their beverage).

Easter was good. I celebrated a version of it in late March with the pagans (chucking raw eggs into the woods and having hut bonfires, weird flex but okay) and read about the historical Jesus over holy week while getting up to some solitary Walt Whitman hijinks. Mr Aslan's dissection of 1st and 6th century religious evolution makes me feel a little more comfortable being in between religious labels, even while I relearn how to pray. The next wave of historical criticism on my reading list is from pop scholar Bart Ehrman, so expect angry shitposting in May/June. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Laghail said:

To recite it beautifully, and to sample the language for further study, without taking it for granted that further study will happen. I'm somewhere around C1 in German on the CEFR, but I've gotten to A1 or A2 on a number of languages. It's fun for one thing, but what I love is that feeling you get as a 13 year old when it slowly dawns on you why Archie is also into Veronica, and why your parents take long "naps" on a Sunday afternoon, and why the damn dog does the funny humping thing. You may not ever really get Jughead's deal, but a little bit of your universe makes more sense when you recognize you're saying "healthiness" when someone sneezes, or eating "good bread" at that fast casual place, and you live in "pretty land" on certain mapping systems.

We'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes. Russian didn't agree with me and I blame @Blocky, Icelandic is hard but damn pretty, Chinese is easy but the endless vocab to be learned in three systems is exhausting (to which all the Japanese and Norwegian learners roll their eyes and suggest I hold their beverage).

Interesting, I had never heard of the CEFR before today, but it seems like a useful system! And now I have some underpants to collect once formal grad school is done with.

Easter was good. I celebrated a version of it in late March with the pagans (chucking raw eggs into the woods and having hut bonfires, weird flex but okay) and read about the historical Jesus over holy week while getting up to some solitary Walt Whitman hijinks. Mr Aslan's dissection of 1st and 6th century religious evolution makes me feel a little more comfortable being in between religious labels, even while I relearn how to pray. The next wave of historical criticism on my reading list is from pop scholar Bart Ehrman, so expect angry shitposting in May/June. 

Good, we can brace for it now!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Laghail said:

what I love is that feeling you get as a 13 year old when it slowly dawns on you why Archie is also into Veronica, and why your parents take long "naps" on a Sunday afternoon, and why the damn dog does the funny humping thing. You may not ever really get Jughead's deal, but a little bit of your universe makes more sense when you recognize you're saying "healthiness" when someone sneezes, or eating "good bread" at that fast casual place, and you live in "pretty land" on certain mapping systems.

you are just learning how to do sexual innuendo in all these languages, aren't you

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Deckard Gainz said:

you are just learning how to do sexual innuendo in all these languages, aren't you

He already knows, he's just learning how to conjugate it properly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Grumble said:

He already knows, he's just learning how to conjugate it properly.

Wow. Was that a really superb pun with a grammatical and biological meaning? I'm awed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Wow. Was that a really superb pun with a grammatical and biological meaning? I'm awed. 

Yes, and @Grumble is to be imprisoned for grimes against punnanity. No parole but the possibility of conjugational visits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Post poetry - Yeeah, I've been MIA a bit this week. Closed on a duplex and now Laghail enters the moving/painting season for a few weeks. I should still be here. 

There is a community of the spirit.
Join it, and feel the delight
of walking in the noisy street
and being the noise.
Drink all your passion, 
and be a disgrace.
Close both eyes 
to see with the other eye.

Log calories - Fail this week. Still dropping weight, but that won't continue (based on extensive experience) if I don't count.

Post Art - Very excited to hang the piece below again. We grabbed it as a consolation prize for our apartment when we had to sell our house back in 2014 to cover medical expenses. Probably a lot of feels and symbolism for comment in a piece titled "The Fighting Temeraire, tugged to her last berth to be broken up, 1838"; but lets focus on the eponymous talking dragon that fought Emperor Napoleon in the Naomi Novik novels.

image.jpeg.04a2dad0aaea2ba6cdac35745f252565.jpeg

Get seven hours of sleep - Yes actually. Special thanks to Mrs Laghail, @Mike Wazowski and @RedStone for harassing me about the links between real sleep and mental health.

Play with Arabic - Working a mango course and focusing on the alphabet first mes chiennes. 

Related image

• Like 3

Get seven hours of sleep - Yes actually. Special thanks to Mrs Laghail, @Mike Wazowski and @RedStone for harassing me about the links between real sleep and mental health.

Dude you bounced back nicely after that nasty bout with consumption. WELL SLEPT. BRAVA.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laghail said:

Literally a selfie of me in early april.

That GIF made me very uncomfortable so I figured you'd enjoy it.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, RedStone said:

That GIF made me very uncomfortable so I figured you'd enjoy it.

I thought Lag had posted it at first.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I thought Lag had posted it at first.

The only thing I'd change would be to give it a pretentious name like "The Glory of Human Industry!"

Actually, speaking of engineering art, turns out the MSOE art museum is p much free and it's not many hundred feet away from my desk. I've been visiting their Carl Spitzweg gallery a few times a week and the piece below has me feeling personally attacked.

Image result for Carl Spitzweg bookworm

• Like 4