"Yes I lift."

"Lift my feet?"

"Oh, you mean fly?! Of course I want to fly!"

"I can? Really? How?"

"By building my wings? But I don't have wings!"

"ooohhhhh, those wings. Yea, I can do that."

"Same to you!"

Sounds of the receiver being hung up.

Sounds of disentangling from the phone cord for far too long.

Welcome to the first Warrior mini challenge/sidequest in what seems like... forever.

We all want to fly, but to do that we need to build our wings and get off the ground. This miniwill be our first steps to the power of flight.

You can sign up on the spreadsheet here.

The mini will start on week 2 and run through the end of the challenge. A new set of exercises will go up every week and will add to the previous weeks movements.

Let's get ready to fly.

Mini Rules:

- Sidequests are not mandatory, don't let them interfere with your goals.

- If you're not sure how to register something, post it here.

- Keep it simple!

- Don't hurt yourself!

- Don't overdo it!

22 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

By the way, how does one sign up? I see the handy-dandy spreadsheet but it's read only.

I got distracted by will Smith in a helicopter. I think I fixed it so everyone can edit. 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

cool! are we just logging as many reps of the designated exercises that we do in each week?

Yea, it's going to be an AMRAP, I'll update the main post and each weeks post with instructions for how the week will work.

14 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

hfj.gif

I'm in.

Hells Yeah Hell Yeah GIF - HellsYeah HellYeah Yes GIFs

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

I don't actually understand...

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cbfcbb34b784e6f67

What are we meant to do? 

Gandalf Lotr GIF - Gandalf Lotr Fly GIFs

(you are not a fool, but I couldn't resist)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Gandalf Lotr GIF - Gandalf Lotr Fly GIFs

(you are not a fool, but I couldn't resist)

I daren't ask how to fly, because I expect the answer is something terribly obvious, such as "throw yourself at the ground, and miss". 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Harriet said:

I daren't ask how to fly, because I expect the answer is something terribly obvious, such as "throw yourself at the ground, and miss". 

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish! - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy GIF - HitchhikersGuideToTheGalaxy DontPanic Dolphins GIFs

I will be breaking it down, I promise.

• Like 4

On 4/24/2019 at 12:40 PM, Harriet said:

My favorite!!! heart heart heart sobbing emoji sobbing emoji heart

• Like 2

*hard rap on the door*

*footsteps*

*door opens*

Huh, no one's there.

Someone left a package?

*Paper tearing*

*More paper tearing*

**some time later and far too many papercuts**

A letter?

"So, you want to fly, huh? Well you can't just up up and away you mad viking, or throw yourself at the ground and miss™ . You have to, well, learn to fly first. To that end, in this box is a set of tools to help you on those first steps.

IT'S NOTHING! HAHAHAHAHAHA*cough*

Ok, that was a bit cheeky. I apologize.

The first step is to know what it feels like to move your whole body, both when it's upright and when your parallel to the ground. Now get moving!"

Let the mini begin!

Week 1 is as follows. You will perform one upper body and one lower body exercise each week. This week is pushups and stepups. These are standard movements, no jumping, no plyometrics. Practice however much you want, but you will record a single set AMRAP of each exercise.

Standards:

Pushups should start in an elevated plank position, body a generally straight line from head to toes. Let yourself down in a controlled manner. Bottom of the pushup should have elbows approximately parallel to the ground. Push back up in a controlled manner to the starting point.

Stepups: use a box that is about knee height, so that the leading leg will create a 90 degree angle when on top of the box. Using the lead leg, pull yourself up to the top of the box. Come to full extensions at the top, then step back down with the trailing leg. Alternate legs every rep.

Scaling down:

kneeling pushups or incline pushups

lower the box, do bodyweight lunges or static bodyweight split squats.

Scaling up:

Decline pushups, weighted pushups, ring pushups, tempo pushups (4 count down, 4 count up)

Goblet stepups, two DB stepups, Barbell weighted stepups

EDIT: DO NOT USE A TALLER BOX. For your knees sake, please. 

I believe you can fly!

• Like 1

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I wanted to confirm since this is my first mini-challenge. We do as many of these as we can in one burst, yes? This isn't cumulative throughout the week, correct?

Thank you! 

10 minutes ago, JessFit said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I wanted to confirm since this is my first mini-challenge. We do as many of these as we can in one burst, yes? This isn't cumulative throughout the week, correct?

Thank you! 

Not silly at all!

You can try as many times as you want, just record your best single set.

Someone had to pee in the nice crisp snow. I just knocked out a quickie set and plan on beating it tomorrow. Get in there ya'll!

giphy.gif

(Also I recommend incline pushups over knees for the modified version. You can do them on the stairs or a counter and decrease height as you are able. It'll get you closer to regular pushups faster and more related in terms of form!)

• Like 3

Made an effort to participate, and quickly discovered that doing regular push-up becomes nothing but a cruel reminder that my core muscles have been badly ignored for far too long. Moved to the stairs for incline push-ups, and recorded them on the sheet. I will try again later this week, and if I beat my current number I will update it.

I found a chair at the perfect height for step-up, but they were quickly turned into a health risk by Bouncy Nudging Sidekick who thought we were playing a new and fun game together on the chair. I will try these again tomorrow, and make sure the dog is not in the room with me....

• Like 4

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I found a chair at the perfect height for step-up, but they were quickly turned into a health risk by Bouncy Nudging Sidekick who thought we were playing a new and fun game together on the chair. I will try these again tomorrow, and make sure the dog is not in the room with me....

Unfortunately, Sidekicks are almost always hazardous to exercises with vertical movements. 

12 hours ago, RedStone said:

(Also I recommend incline pushups over knees for the modified version. You can do them on the stairs or a counter and decrease height as you are able. It'll get you closer to regular pushups faster and more related in terms of form!)

Totally agree, I wanted to make sure there were plenty of alternatives.

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Made an effort to participate, and quickly discovered that doing regular push-up becomes nothing but a cruel reminder that my core muscles have been badly ignored for far too long. Moved to the stairs for incline push-ups, and recorded them on the sheet. I will try again later this week, and if I beat my current number I will update it.

You have dogs AND cats? Yay! 

Meanwhile, I think I'd like to enter a very small number of full pushups, because I'm excited that I can do them at all. I'll have to find something more difficult for the step ups, because unless I misunderstood, the limiting factor on these is boredom, not strength or even endurance. Maybe I can throw one of the little fixed "barbells" on my back at the gym today. After deadlifts and OHP, of course. 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You have dogs AND cats? Yay!

Dog and cats. One of the former, two of the latter. They are very sweet together. :)

And @Grumble is right, the Sidekick's innate desire to participate in everything the humans do, no matter what, can make working out at home either frustrating or highly amusing, depending on your current mood.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Dog and cats. One of the former, two of the latter. They are very sweet together. :)

I want a dog. But one of my cats is an asshole to anyone but her sister, so it's right out until they move on to the neverending catnip treat.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I want a dog. But one of my cats is an asshole to anyone but her sister, so it's right out until they move on to the neverending catnip treat.

One of ours is as well. She accepted the dog surprisingly quickly, and now treats her with the same aloof tolerance she does the other cat. It probably helped that the dog was a puppy, and very quick to learn her place in the pecking order - far below the cats.

3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

One of ours is as well. She accepted the dog surprisingly quickly, and now treats her with the same aloof tolerance she does the other cat. It probably helped that the dog was a puppy, and very quick to learn her place in the pecking order - far below the cats.

My girl is 15. She has zero fucks left to give about any animal that isn't the one she grew up with. Also, one time a pit bull wanted to play with her by pouncing and licking her to death (THANK GODS) so we have an extra large helping of no fucks to give.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Grumble said:

My girl is 15. She has zero fucks left to give about any animal that isn't the one she grew up with. Also, one time a pit bull wanted to play with her by pouncing and licking her to death (THANK GODS) so we have an extra large helping of no fucks to give.

Mine's 14, but never had any to give in the first place. ;)

A family member and their dog visited a couple of years ago, and the dog approached our noble lady to say hello. The dog approached far too fast for the cat's pleasure, and we had the rare privilege of watching our cat levitate straight up from the couch and projectile-attack an adult doberman pinscher, by wrapping herself around the poor dog's head with all claws digging for blood like she was a furry black facehugger...!

Obviously we separated them immediately and no permanent damage was done, but I don't think the poor dog ever was comfortable near black cats again...

• Like 1