• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tesseract

I'm baaaaack!!!

So I've been out of the Nerd Fitness game for a while. Hell, out of the Fitness Fitness game for a while. But I did that whole "resolution" thing this year and it's actually been going great.

I joined Orangetheory. (strength and HIIT for anyone unfamiliar)

I went all-in and decided to compete in their 8-week Transformation Challenge.

I lost 20 pounds in those 8 weeks and freaking WON my location's challenge for the women. This was a FIVE INCH change in my waist alone. Holy shit.

I developed a solid habit of working out 3+ times a week.

I devolved back into eating like crap when I didn't have to track my food in order to be eligible to win. I literally ate chocolate and pizza yesterday, and not much else.

So, mostly wins, but I'm still not 100% there yet.

I feel a little bit hesitant setting goals that aren't consistency-related just yet as I clearly still need work on that in the diet department. So that's what I'm gonna focus on for this challenge.

A huge motivation of this Orangetheory challenge was the possibility of winning $2500. While I didn't win that (it was city-wide and the winner lost 15+% of her starting weight, while I was just over 9%), remaining eligible to win was huge. So were the before/after pictures. So I'll do the photos, but I need another idea for the reward. Maybe one for consistency and another for reaching some kind of actual goal? 

How's everybody been? What's new round these parts? What have I missed?

• Like 5

Cheetah has a trans-dimentional hat that does magic and Sloth's promising to wear a Speedo. I think that's all you missed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

Cheetah has a trans-dimentional hat that does magic and Sloth's promising to wear a Speedo. I think that's all you missed.

That sounds like quite a lot!

Alright! Starting line set. I got a new InBody scan today. I know they're not the most accurate but they can at least identify trends and have more info than just a regular scale. This scan was especially fun b/c I'd forgotten that I did a foot peel while watching Game of Thrones on Sunday and now my feet look like I have a disease of some kind. I tried to be subtle taking my socks off and putting them back on. Not sure if I was successful.

Inbody results:

Weight: 197.2 lbs

Percent Body Fat: 38.5%

Skeletal Muscle Muscle Mass: 67.0 lbs

Visceral fat: 17

BMR: 1558 calories

(Side note: The fun part about this is that I've had a few scans now. When I did the challenge at Orangetheory I was counting my calories and sticking to 1700-1800. I lost a good amount of weight but I also lost a little muscle. In the month since the challenge ended I have stopped tracking/counting but still trying to make more good choices than not (reference the chocolate and pizza from the other day), and have gained back the muscle I lost and then some, plus dropped more body fat than I did during the challenge. I also measured at 3.1 lbs more water than last time and lost a total of 1.8 lbs, in about 5 weeks. Just in case anybody needed a reminder that the scale doesn't tell the whole story.)

(Side note the second: My Orangetheory location has invited a mobile dunk tank out on May 4 to do hydrostatic body composition. That will be interesting to compare!)

Measurements (in inches):

Bust: 43

Pants-waist: 38.5

Hips/bootay: 45.5

Right thigh: 22.5

Right bicep: 11.5

I have these absolutely insane printed pants that are going to be soooo comfy in the Texas summer when I need that airflow but I don't always love shorts. Right now, they fit, but not well. I'm hoping by the end of either this challenge or the next one that they'll be ready to go.

So I'm going to track my food, with a target of about 1900 calories in the hopes of achieving results more akin to the last 5 weeks than the 7-8 before. I don't really give a shit what the scale says, but I do want to be a little smaller, especially in the waist area. Workouts will keep on keeping on, anywhere from 3-5 Orangetheory classes a week.

My mom is coming to visit in a few weeks so I also want to make my home as inviting as possible for her. So that brings me to my non-fitness related goal: Do at least one 20/10 minute work session daily, with at least two days of two sessions. I think that will get me to where I need to be.

• Like 2

I went to Sprouts for an avocado and wound up spending $30 basically on snacks. Larabars were 88 cents, y’all!

363e58f23f655b3d72bebe862add0312.jpg

Not pictured: wine. Oh yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Day 1 done. I was off work today and kind of killed it with making the most of it.

Electrician came over because my kitchen lights have been flickering and it’s not the switch. I’ve been putting this off for a very long time because I was dreading he was going to tell me my old house needed new wiring. He did tell me that but it’s not why the lights aren’t working—the fixtures are just dead. And it just so happens that a friend recently upgraded all the lights in her house and one of them would be perfect in my kitchen and she’s saving it for me. So I got a replacement for the other one for $25 at Lowe’s and now I just need to spend days agonizing over YouTube tutorials and I’ll be good to go. Hooray!

One of my toilets has also been running like crazy. I had bought a new flapper bc that’s what running toilets need right? Well sure, unless it’s a fancy dual flush toilet like the ones I have. So I had to go to the specialty store for a new seal. But then that location didn’t have any in stock so I had to go to their other location downtown. Fine. Now to watch more YouTube.

Went to the dentist to have 4 ancient sealants drilled out and filled. That was a barrel of laughs but this dental work has lasted me like 20 years so okay, fine. Here’s to another 20.

Back to Lowe’s to return the flapper/valve and a roll of duct tape I bought not realizing I had plenty already. Then to Sprouts for the aforementioned snacks.

Listened to more than one GoT podcast while eating dinner and cooking eggs in the instant pot.

Workout just about killed me. First time I thought I might actually pass out, but it was a pretty good one. And I didn’t die!

27ab922f6c2d108f35dc83c51714cee5.jpg

Food for the day...this might be the absolute closest I’ve come to my macros lining up the way I want them to. I don’t generally pay too much attention to macros other than aiming for more protein and not too many carbs and I usually fall short. 1943 calories.

0499afa9a33be27f674cb34d82846a2a.jpg

I didn’t do a real 20/10 today, at least not yet, but I did like 4 yesterday and I sort of count the house related stuff I did today so I’m calling the day a win!

• Like 1

Correction. My protein drink I was working on while typing my update turned out to be decidedly less tasty than normal so I chucked it and ate a mini meat stick. Daily total is now more like 1790. I’m hungry but it’s midnight so I’m just gonna have to deal.

At least food is all packed and prepped for tomorrow.

• Like 2

Glad  you didn't die in your workout. Hopefully you sleep well and aren't hungry. Good call on buying a bunch of Lara bars on sale, that's a really good price. I like them but they are pretty spendy, so I buy them on sale. Our grocery store now has some  of their brands, basically the same ingredients. Not quite as tasty, but they are cheaper, so I sometimes get them if the Lara bars aren't on sale

Today’s update is much less exciting than yesterday’s since it’s back to regular work schedule now. I did manage to forget my packed up food in the bag on the counter, ready and waiting and wondering where I’d gone. I was feeling a little light headed (probably because I went to bed hungry) so I had a couple of the tiny mini KitKats in our office before I went back home to get my real food.

Breakfast was some plain Greek yogurt with vanilla protein powder mixed in, pineapple, and wildway grain free granola. Plus a babybel originally intended as a snack but I was starving by that point. Lunch was multigrain rice with ground turkey and some veggies. Snack of a mini meat stick. I cooked dinner before Orangetheory at 8, but ate it after—burger patty, boiled mixed baby potatoes, sautéed shaved Brussels sprouts and mushrooms. Pretty tasty for not really having a plan when I started. 1962 calories for the day. Breakfast and dinner will be repeated for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. Not sure yet what I’m going to fix for dinner. (Packed in a new insulated cooler that I don’t really NEEEEEED but will be slightly better than taking lunch in the reusable grocery bag I’ve been using.)

I say this very rarely but Orangetheory was kind of lame today. Not just burpees, but more than one variation of burpees! My problem with burpees all comes down to confidence. That jump back is just so scary to me for some reason! It doesn’t help that I feel like my shirt and pants won’t stay put and I’m about to expose everybody. One of our variations involved the jump back being up ONTO the step bench thing. I feel like I wind up spending too much time working myself up to it and then my heart rate falls super low and time is up. I’m glad time is up but I’m also there to get a good workout in, ya know? Meh. Rest day tomorrow.

• Like 1

Today I remembered my food and was able to use my pretty new double-decker lunch box!

230e1927169255acc61fc1d170e554be.jpg

I generally eat my breakfast at my desk. Okay and lunch too but I at least try to stop working for a real lunch break. Room for both plus snacks in this bad boy!

Food was tasty and satisfying today, but not quite satisfying enough to keep me from munching on some of the Whopper Robin Eggs my coworker brought that I just now realized I didn’t log. Oh well. And now I’m sitting here crunching on chips and mediocre salsa just because. I did log those though!

I also went to the store for provisions and managed to stick to the list. Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are packed and ready for tomorrow.

fbed2cf534d65547efee81a9d74deada.jpg

No workout planned for today. Feeling a little sore but that’s kind of just my life now, it seems. My knees have been giving me some trouble. They just feel tired all the time. Am I getting arthritis?? Today was not a great knee day.

For my 20 minutes of chores...eh. I did finally manage to figure out how to change the flush seal in my fancy toilet. I needed my roommate to help me turn the stuck part. But that only fixed part of the problem. It was still running and we determined that it had something to do with the filling part. So back to YouTube...ah yes, fill valve seal. Got mine out and it’s almost ripped to shreds. Huzzah, an actual identifiable potential source of the problem! Back to the fancy plumbing store in the morning. All that to say that I was going to put in 20 minutes just towards tidying my room but instead I’m going to sleep a little earlier so I can go downtown before work.

Overall I’d say it was a decent day of working towards what I need to be working towards!

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with Orange Theory, but burpees can be really rough on knees. Is there a particular area that is sore, or just the whole joint?

Fixing toilets can be a real pain. But hooray for having an idea to fix it!

14 minutes ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

I'm not familiar with Orange Theory, but burpees can be really rough on knees. Is there a particular area that is sore, or just the whole joint?

Ah, the saga of the knees, specifically the right knee....

Back in August when I started my new job, I went to scoot up in my wheelie chair to be better positioned at the desk. Not realizing that the modesty panel thing was WAY too close for normal humans, let alone tall-ish (emphasis ish, I'm really not even THAT tall) humans like myself. And I smacked my knee. Hard. More than once, as this was a motion that just seemed natural and it took me a few tries for it to settle in that I couldn't do that here. Anyway, it hurt a lot.

I thought I'd just bruised it or something but it didn't really seem to get all that much better so I went in I think November to see my doc and they gave me a steroid shot. Said that it was an injury they see a lot in women who do Crossfit, generally from going down too low on squats. I hadn't started Orangetheory yet and was working out precisely not at all, and told her I promised I wasn't doing Crossfit, and it was hurt from an impact, but she said it was the same result.

Knee felt a little bit better from the shot, decided to join Orangetheory on December 30 and just modify as necessary. My squats were like half squats and lunges were usually also half squats, because when that right knee would go down it would send a shooting pain. Anything where I had to put pressure on my knee, like knee pushups or even just getting off the ground, also hurt. Good thing I always preferred my half ass regular pushups, I guess.

Fast forward to some indeterminate point in time in the last couple of months and I realized that those sharp pains in my right knee were gone entirely.  But as a tradeoff, both knees were just plain achy, mostly at the front and a little above the knee. Not during the workout but definitely after. I can now do squats almost all the way down and half lunges. I run very little even though my fitness has progressed to where I want to, but I don't want that impact knocking me backwards. So I power walk at an incline for almost all the treadmill stuff. Some days are better than others, but going down stairs pretty much always involves some level of discomfort. Ice after the workout helps tremendously, when I remember to do it. I've been going to Orangetheory for 4 months and have really only done burpees a handful of times, so they definitely aren't the root of the problem.

• Like 1

I'm no MD, just a DVM with a history of my own injuries, but pain just above the kneecap sounds like inflammation of the tendon of the quad. You can also get inflammation of the cartilage of the underside of the patella (that's what I've got! wheee). Ice is your friend. Knee stabilizing exercises are your friend too. 

Hope your knees feel better soon!

On 4/25/2019 at 11:24 AM, Tova the Vibrant said:

I'm no MD, just a DVM with a history of my own injuries, but pain just above the kneecap sounds like inflammation of the tendon of the quad. You can also get inflammation of the cartilage of the underside of the patella (that's what I've got! wheee). Ice is your friend. Knee stabilizing exercises are your friend too. 

Hope your knees feel better soon!

Thanks! I figure a lot of the anatomy is at least similar across mammals so this is possible. Any ideas for knee stabilizing exercises?

Thursday I did alright! Had all my foods packed for work, although I still munched on office chocolate more than I should. Office chocolate is what got me into this mess, I don't know why I think I can still eat it willy nilly.

Breakfast was a salad with two hard boiled eggs. My favorite breakfast, honestly. Lunch was leftover sauteed brussel sprouts, mushrooms, and potatoes, but with Ikea meatballs this time. They do make a good meatball! Split dinner (some before workout, some after) of a quesadilla, strawberries, almond butter, granola, and a protein shake. A couple snacks in there too, including one way late because I was just weirdly hungry. 2037 calories total, which should be more than enough to keep off the hunger, so not sure what's up with that. I've been aiming for 1900. Oh well.

Orangetheory was a great endurance workout! They do certain "benchmark" workouts and today definitely wasn't one, but did offer an opportunity to compare a little. My 200m row benchmark a couple months ago was somewhere around 40.3 seconds. Last night had one section that involved a 200m row so I figured I'd test myself. 37.7! Woo! Excited for when they do the next official 200m benchmark and I can record my time. =)

I did a load of laundry and that's about it. Which isn't at all in the spirit of what I'm going for with this challenge. So, fail there. 

Foods packed for Friday, ready to get 'er done.

• Like 2

This is my favorite picture of knee stabilizing exercises: 

f3789114419d669b870e056d0a96a0c1.jpg

I have found step ups particularly helpful, in part because I also deal with hip issues. So I focus on keeping my hips level as well as quad engagement.

Hope that helps!

Congrats on the row!

Boy have I been busy!

I've been making decent-ish food choices, although I've decided to take a little break from the tedium of tracking. Still more junk than I probably should have. Why is it almost easier for me to go for a stretch with absolutely zero junk than to moderate? At least my backslides now aren't too bad.

Workouts have stayed solid. Although on Saturday night I did cancel Sunday morning's class because my legs were just feeling heavy and I went to bed super late and I just felt like my body needed the rest. Of course then I naturally woke up bright and early and with plenty of energy Sunday morning, and I could have gotten back into the class, but decided to just go with the rest day. The only downside with workouts right now is that I'm pretty bad about staying hydrated during the day, and sometimes my legs cramp up while I'm on the treadmill. My heart rate doesn't go anywhere when that happens and I wind up feeling like I didn't do anything. My legs can't keep up!

Chores/home improvement has been a less than inspiring endeavor. I feel like I have set such a minimal goal for myself with 20 minutes each day, why can I not even bring myself to tackle that??  

GoT was insanely intense! How many GoT podcasts is too many GoT podcasts? And why do they all (vaguely and not spoilery) compare this episode to Avengers: Endgame, which I'm not seeing until Saturday?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:51 PM, Tova the Vibrant said:

This is my favorite picture of knee stabilizing exercises: 

f3789114419d669b870e056d0a96a0c1.jpg

I have found step ups particularly helpful, in part because I also deal with hip issues. So I focus on keeping my hips level as well as quad engagement.

Hope that helps!

Congrats on the row!

Thank you so much for this!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tesseract said:

I've been making decent-ish food choices, although I've decided to take a little break from the tedium of tracking. Still more junk than I probably should have. Why is it almost easier for me to go for a stretch with absolutely zero junk than to moderate? At least my backslides now aren't too bad.

Gretchen Rubin (The Happiness Project, Better than Before) talks about being either a moderator or an abstainer. Moderators would be miserable not being allowed a food/drink/desirable activity, but abstainers would fail if allowed to have "just a little". You are likely an abstainer. :) 

I feel like I have set such a minimal goal for myself with 20 minutes each day, why can I not even bring myself to tackle that??  

This may come back to moderator/abstainer, too. 

How many GoT podcasts is too many GoT podcasts? And why do they all (vaguely and not spoilery) compare this episode to Avengers: Endgame, which I'm not seeing until Saturday?

Can't answer this one :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

Gretchen Rubin (The Happiness Project, Better than Before) talks about being either a moderator or an abstainer. Moderators would be miserable not being allowed a food/drink/desirable activity, but abstainers would fail if allowed to have "just a little". You are likely an abstainer. :) 

I don't wanna! Seriously, that would be a big bummer.

I know some people hate tracking calories, but I find it helpful. I think I'm a bit of an abstainer, but then if I go too hard on that, I just say screw it and eat all the cake. So, for me it helps to say, I can have  a square of chocolate because that fits into my goals, but a whole bar does not. That said, it still takes practice . I  go overboard sometimes, and just have to acknowledge that and move on