• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Turns 50?!?! [Challenges]

Day 1.2

I took a rest day! I was planning on lifting but realized that'd be 7 days in a row without rest. And I was sore from all that bars on Monday. Instead of going to the gym, I went home, took a nap, and then went out to a local bar to watch the Bruins game 7 against the Leafs. :D 

I may skip practice on Thursday to go to the first game of our series against Columbus. Tickets are super reasonable right now... we'll see!

Lifting: program - 0/1, lifting sessions 0/0

Offseason shenanigans0/1

Eat in: 1/4 weeknight meals at home, 0/1 weekend meal at home

Reflections: 0/1

This week

W - lift and D&D

Th - gymnastics or Bruins game

F - lift and hangs w/our resident dance champ @Mike Wazowski

S - gymnastics practice orrr maybe this pain & lifting seminar my gym is having... but I really want to go to practice so, probably that

S - lift probably! ??? the rest of the day

• Like 8

20 hours ago, raptron said:

I may skip practice on Thursday to go to the first game of our series against Columbus.

UGhh I stayed up and watched the Caps lose in double OT last night. 

1 hour ago, doctorake said:

UGhh I stayed up and watched the Caps lose in double OT last night. 

I ended my D&D game a bit early to catch the second OT. Sorry, buddy. 

Day 1.3

I had a dentist appointment to get a cavity filled (sigh -- I have another on the other side next week. My flossing habit went kind of to the dogs a few months ago, but is definitely back now that I'm reaping the consequences), but after that I walked up to the lifting gym. It was VERY WARM IN THERE, but at least we had the garage door open and got a couple of fans blowing. I had been feeling a little blah and my mouth was still half numb, so it wasn't my most intense workout by any means.

Deadlifts

5 x 135#

5 x 185#

5 x 225#

3 x 255#

2 x 5 x 280#

2 x 4 x 280#

Here's a nice little set of 5s:

Hypers: 3 x 25 x 65# w/10s hold at the end

Bent over db rows: 4 x 10 x 40#

Pull-ups: 4 x 4 

I went home, made dinner, and had a pretty short D&D session. My internet was being a pain, so I had to turn video off while DMing. That plus at least half of the players also watching the Caps game made for a very ADD session. I didn't really have anyone's attention, so I ended it a bit earlier than intended. My encounter also didn't wind up as fun as I was hoping, but next session should be exciting with the RP opportunities, as the crew is smuggled into the rich part of town alongside the cultists who intend to take down the city government. 

Lifting: program - 0/1, lifting sessions 1/3

Offseason shenanigans0/1

Eat in: 2/4 weeknight meals at home, 0/1 weekend meal at home

Ok, no Bruins game tonight for me. Tickets are cheap, but I'm temporarily poor because I've booked a big rental house for a group of friends for June, and I can already tell they're gonna be slow paying me back. Which is totally OK! I just should maybe use this time to be less dumb about my money management. :P

Program-wise, I just need to pick something and tweak it as needed. I think I'm going to use one gzcl's programs for my main lift progressions and adjust (as you are supposed to) the t2 and t3 movements to what makes sense to me as someone who doesn't do barbell OHP anymore, prefers single leg accessory work, etc. That'll start next week while I continue to just kind of YOLO my 5s this week. It HAS only been 1 week since I've been back from Florida. Even if it feels much longer. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Here's a nice little set of 5s:

Awesome. Was that 280? You make it look doable. Achievable. Within grasp. 

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Ok, no Bruins game tonight for me. 

It is only game 1, there will be more.

Nice Deads!

Also I love hearing about the D&D scenario even if it is just a tiny bit. I miss the actual story involved in games that miniature war gaming is lacking.

• Like 1

BADASS DEADLIFTS YO!!! I briefly googled gzcl and wow I like that approach to programming - almost enough to do something silly** like try to work powerlifting into my conditioning training again! :lol:

**Silly not because powerlifting is silly, but because heavy lifting on top of a 4-7 days a week dance schedule for training is just not advisable.

• Like 1

"I'll just check a few threads on NF before going home"

*reads raptron's thread, ends up googling gzcl and reading/thinking for half an hour*

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Your D&D games sound like a blast (at east when they don't have to compete with the TV...)

Also I love hearing about the D&D scenario even if it is just a tiny bit. I miss the actual story involved in games that miniature war gaming is lacking.

They can be very fun! We have such an odd party and people are a bit hesitant to RP sometimes, but when it gets going, it goes really amusingly. 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Awesome. Was that 280? You make it look doable. Achievable. Within grasp. 

Yep, 280#! I've been lifting for over 5 years and still have my sights set on 3 plate+ working sets... SOMEDAY. Just chippin' away. :) 

It is only game 1, there will be more.

Yep, yep, yep!

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

BADASS DEADLIFTS YO!!! I briefly googled gzcl and wow I like that approach to programming - almost enough to do something silly** like try to work powerlifting into my conditioning training again! :lol:

Hahah. Yeah, it's a cool system!  I'm too lazy to make my own programming spreadsheets atm, so I think I'm going to start off using his Rippler periodization spreadsheet, adjusting the secondary exercises and accessory work as it makes sense. :)

• Like 4

Just now, KB Girl said:

"I'll just check a few threads on NF before going home"

*reads raptron's thread, ends up googling gzcl and reading/thinking for half an hour*

Ahahah.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Day 1.4

22 hours ago, raptron said:

Ok, no Bruins game tonight for me. Tickets are cheap, but I'm temporarily poor because I've booked a big rental house for a group of friends for June, and I can already tell they're gonna be slow paying me back. Which is totally OK! I just should maybe use this time to be less dumb about my money management. :P

JK JK JK JK JK JK. 

I did go to the game after all. At 6:00 pm, my friend and I were waffling between going to the game or going to practice because we kept seeing good deals on tickets. Plus, the main reason I wanted to go to practice was because Friday is a teammate's birthday, and she said she'd want to go out after, but changed her mind. SO REALLY I HAD NO REASON TO GO TO PRACTICE. (And it's playoff hockey.) We got 13th row tickets from someone on Craigslist for under $100 each. It's basically like we got PAID to go, you know?

source.gif

Casual views: 

c293680bbe9a3caeb576afd32d236ad1.png

The Bs won, which is v exciting to me personally because they've lost every game I've physically attended (and I was nervous that I would be a CURSE upon this one as well). And because I don't half-ass many things, we whole-ass went out afterwards, saying hi to some of my friend's coworkers at a shitty bar nearby, and then booking it back across town for drinks at our fave taco bar. And then it was 2 AM. Of course.  

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 1/3 <-- I wrote out a couple of weeks of what I think I'll be doing for programming, based on a gzcl template. I'm curious to see how it'll go seeing as it programs a full OHP day every week and I don't really consider OHP a main lift, so for now I bulked that out as kind of a thorough accessory day. I may consider just dropping it altogether and redistributing some of the exercises from that day to other days. 

Offseason shenanigans0/1

Eat in: 2/4 weeknight meals at home, 0/1 weekend meal at home

For the reflections bit, I've started pulling goals I've put in all of my challenges over the last few years and will SEE if there are any fun and interesting trends. I've been reflecting the place that I'm at NOW and the changes I've made and the way my priorities work now seems really obvious, but I'm sure poking through the past will reveal that it didn't seem so at the time, haha. :)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hehe glad you turned out to NOT be cursed \o/

btw. I'm ready for some shenanigans. I have scheduled time for it tomorrow and everything. 

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Hehe glad you turned out to NOT be cursed \o/

btw. I'm ready for some shenanigans. I have scheduled time for it tomorrow and everything. 

Not that exciting, but surely going to be amusing -- I'm going to challenge some folks at practice tomorrow morning to a baby goat race.

• Like 1

HAPPY 50th!!!! How time flies eh. Super curious about your reflections about past challenges.

Bring on the baby goats!

Do you guys joke a lot about how much bars you've got despite not being a rapper(s)? :D (i.e. you and the person filming) I would. Maybe it would get old after a while. Who knows!

Following :)

On 4/29/2019 at 2:28 AM, analoggirl said:

Do you guys joke a lot about how much bars you've got despite not being a rapper(s)? :D (i.e. you and the person filming) I would. Maybe it would get old after a while. Who knows!

ACTUALLY, I don't think any of us have made that one. We mostly joke about "meeting at the bar." 

Day 1.5

Lifting night on Friday was a lot of socializing, but a little bit of lifting too!

Descending back squats: 5 x 245#, 5 x 240#, 5 x 235#, 5 x 230#, 5 x 225#

Bench: 5 x 130#, 5 x 5 x 125#

Pull-ups: 4 x 3

Then I just left because I had dinner plans with CM and MikeW. :D We had some good chats and then I considered maybe going out somewhere else, but was justifiably exhausted from being out late on Thursday night after the Bruins game.

Day 1.6

Gymnastics practice was pretty productive, given that I went to bed and slept a nice 9+ hours on Friday night. I worked on bars a lot -- free hips and toe shoots to high bar again. I did wind up ripping -- they're small rips but they're on both hands, so I stopped after that. I also worked on my front handspring front pike + front tuck and had one REALLY PERFECT ONE. I think that was basically all that I got up to. 

After practice, I walked home, folded laundry, tidied my room up a bit, showered, and FINALLY watched Captain Marvel (I know). I went to a bar to watch the Bruins game, etc.

Day 1.7

Sunday morning I woke up really early and  couldn't will myself back to sleep at all. So I just laid in bed being annoyed until 10:00 am or so, when I got up and got dressed to go meet some friends at a street taco festival thing. I walked there, ate a bunch of tacos, pet some adorable dogs, and then went to see Avengers Endgame. 

I thought about working out afterwards, but my body didn't feel too hot, probably from the drinking and the lack of sleep? Instead, I went home and napped to power myself up for more massive fictional battles (Game of Thrones).

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 2/3

Offseason shenanigans: 1/1

Eat in: 2/4 weeknight meals at home, 1/1 weekend meal at home

Reflections: 1/1

One of the biggest things I've gotten from the challenges is establishing workouts as real habits. They're part of my obligations to myself that I often don't think of as optional or something I can just skip if I'm in a bad mood or not having a great day. They're something I will do by default. I've found that workouts often make me feel better -- both mentally and emotionally since I've found communities where I can socialize and have made real friendships in them. As a social person, having that anchor to my workouts is just another factor keeping me going back. Knowing that it's an opportunity to see folks helps get me in the door even if I'm not going to have an amazing workout. But even on days where I know I might be alone at practice or at the gym, I still go because that's just become my auto-pilot.

Part of that was using these challenges a place to report back for accountability. Part of it came from finding out that I very rarely regretted a workout, but I often regretted missing one. But, the biggest factor was making the space and time for it in my life. I might not game as much (or even... like at all) anymore, I might have less time to cook on weeknights, I might not watch as much TV... but if those are the things I'm doing less of to do more fitness-related fun, I am VERY okay with that trade off. And sometimes, I go through the list of what exactly it is I would be doing with my night if I don't go to the gym -- "okay, if I don't go tonight, then I can do laundry for the trip, take a nap to rest up from the previous night of little sleep, prep food, clean the kitchen" ... maybe, that's a day where not going to the gym makes a lot of sense! But most of the time it's "well, I could watch another 2 hours of TV." And that usually isn't what I want to do with my day. 

Edit to add: I am not sharing my reflections to be prescriptive about how other people should approach any of these things. I come from a place of a lot of privilege and have few non-work related responsibilities. 

Edited by raptron
  • Like 6

what a great weekend full of good choices! :D

and interesting insights especially the correlation between the energy you build in social situations. you found things that feel good mentally and physically for you and your caveat points to the fact that those things are obviously not going to be the same for everyone!

• Like 1

Very interesting to read! The social aspect is I think also something that kind of lacks in every day life since we don't live in very small communities any longer.. and a lot of us don't have that community thing for church going. So it's a sort of replacement little community. Very good for mental health and such. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, raptron said:

We mostly joke about "meeting at the bar." 

Haha, I think I need to start making more jokes about spending most mornings hanging around bars :D 

18 hours ago, raptron said:

Captain Marvel ... Avengers Endgame ... (Game of Thrones)

That's a lot of fictional battles for the space of just a couple days

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

what a great weekend full of good choices! :D

DEFINITELY.

16 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

and interesting insights especially the correlation between the energy you build in social situations. you found things that feel good mentally and physically for you and your caveat points to the fact that those things are obviously not going to be the same for everyone!

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Very interesting to read! The social aspect is I think also something that kind of lacks in every day life since we don't live in very small communities any longer.. and a lot of us don't have that community thing for church going. So it's a sort of replacement little community. Very good for mental health and such. 

I think it's SO underrated, even for people who maybe don't identify as being particularly social. Having other folks who are emotionally invested in your training and success -- and are rooting for you -- helps so much. 

Haha, I think I need to start making more jokes about spending most mornings hanging around bars :D 

:D

That's a lot of fictional battles for the space of just a couple days

ONE DAY!!! But yeah, it was a lot. I don't want to spoil anything but neither were exactly what I expected. 

Day 2.1

I spent most of my day at the treatment center for my friend undergoing chemo. I got out of the building around 2:30 PM, and had been planning to go to the office, but it was beautiful and sunny and it would take me a while to get there anyway, so I did some working remotely in the park in the sun. 

After that, I had another Monday rec team practice! We had a pretty small crew. Lots of folks are still taking time off or just prioritizing non-gymnastics things post-Nationals. I worked on balance beam for pretty much all of practice. I did a lot of front walkovers and front walkover round-offs on the high beam, back handsprings on the low beam and then the high beam with the big mats basically flush with the bottom of the beam, and front handsprings on the low beam. 

On floor, I worked my standing side aerials (I usually chicken out and use a small hurdle instead of going from true standing) and back tucks at the end of practice.

It was very low key! But still super productive. My back handsprings felt really great and could have absolutely been on the high beam with no mats. We're back on that #fearprogression train for now. I do have some trouble with my dominant arm's tricep getting really tight and sore on them, which I'm not really sure how to address going forward. Maybe I'll try to film some to see if anything is going funny. 

It was my friend's birthday so she and I got drinks and food after practice. My other friend didn't join us because she went out too hard during the day (it's her Sunday), so I actually got in bed by 12:30. 

Day 2.2

I had a dentist appointment in the morning (for a second filling, sigh, but I'm all good now!), but went to work and had a relatively productive day. After, I did my first day of the new program I'm trying out.

Squats

5 x 135#

5 x 165#

5 x 195#

3 x 225#

3 x 5 x 245# <-- these were solid

Pull-ups: 4 x 3 (my tricep didn't love these)

Stiff legged deadlifts: 5 x 6 x 160# 

KB plank drag-throughs: 5 x 10 per side x 24#

DB floor press: 5 x 12 x 25#

I got some groceries, made dinner and leftovers for another couple of meals, and then went out for drinks. And maybe had a late night. 

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 3/6

Offseason shenanigans: 1/2

Eat in: 3/8 weeknight meals at home, 1/2 weekend meal at home

Reflections: 1/2

Today I'm going to nap after work and then run a D&D session!

Thurs: lifting, I think, and baking for our work practice session

Fri: lifting

Sat: gymnastics

Sun: maybe lifting, but probably just a Funday for Cinco de Mayo

• Like 5