• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Turns 50?!?! [Challenges]

22 hours ago, raptron said:

ACTUALLY, I don't think any of us have made that one. We mostly joke about "meeting at the bar." 

I have a dance friend who I literally met "at the barre" and I love making that joke too!

One of the biggest things I've gotten from the challenges is establishing workouts as real habits. They're part of my obligations to myself that I often don't think of as optional or something I can just skip if I'm in a bad mood or not having a great day. They're something I will do by default. I've found that workouts often make me feel better -- both mentally and emotionally since I've found communities where I can socialize and have made real friendships in them. As a social person, having that anchor to my workouts is just another factor keeping me going back. Knowing that it's an opportunity to see folks helps get me in the door even if I'm not going to have an amazing workout. But even on days where I know I might be alone at practice or at the gym, I still go because that's just become my auto-pilot.

Part of that was using these challenges a place to report back for accountability. Part of it came from finding out that I very rarely regretted a workout, but I often regretted missing one. But, the biggest factor was making the space and time for it in my life. I might not game as much (or even... like at all) anymore, I might have less time to cook on weeknights, I might not watch as much TV... but if those are the things I'm doing less of to do more fitness-related fun, I am VERY okay with that trade off. And sometimes, I go through the list of what exactly it is I would be doing with my night if I don't go to the gym -- "okay, if I don't go tonight, then I can do laundry for the trip, take a nap to rest up from the previous night of little sleep, prep food, clean the kitchen" ... maybe, that's a day where not going to the gym makes a lot of sense! But most of the time it's "well, I could watch another 2 hours of TV." And that usually isn't what I want to do with my day. 

I love everything about this perspective - you put into words one of the big changes that's happened since I joined NF as well, workouts are mostly an autopiloted habit and don't require me to think too hard.

12 minutes ago, raptron said:

DEFINITELY.

I think it's SO underrated, even for people who maybe don't identify as being particularly social. Having other folks who are emotionally invested in your training and success -- and are rooting for you -- helps so much. 

PREACH IT - I'm an introvert, but I love knowing that I'll cross paths with some really close friends in the dance studio almost every time I practice - really gives me another good reason to keep going back. :)

Sounds like an awesome and productive practice - you're really making the most of the start of your off-season! :D

And maybe had a late night. 

Only maybe? :P

Sounds like the first day of the new program went well, hoping that streak continues for you!

• Like 1

OH, I realized, I forgot to put the silly shenanigans from Saturday's practice in here for those of you who don't instagram:

I have some qualms with everyone's form, but it was just for fun. ;)

Day 2.3

True to my word, I went home and napped for two deep and delightful hours.

For D&D, I ran an RP-heavy 2 hour session that included our merry band of maybe bad guys getting smuggled into the upper crust part of the city. As the cult leader approached an artifact she was  looking to steal, they turned her into the nearby guards and insisted that they be rewarded for saving the city. Meanwhile, one of them snuck off and stole the artifact she was looking to get her paws on. The Mayor extended an invitation for them to join the banquet he's holding that night where ambassadors of various nearby factions are gathered (and were the target of our cultist's bomb plot) where he'll honor them. I broke it off there because it was getting late and I need to figure out what subplots might surface at the banquet. There are some sneaky Drow also up to no good that they saw, badly attempted to extract some information from while one of them disguised self as Drow, but ultimately didn't follow up on it and let them about their sneaky ways.

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 3/6

Offseason shenanigans: 1/2

Eat in: 4/8 weeknight meals at home, 1/2 weekend meal at home

Reflections: 1/2

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 4/30/2019 at 8:03 PM, raptron said:

Edit to add: I am not sharing my reflections to be prescriptive about how other people should approach any of these things. I come from a place of a lot of privilege and have few non-work related responsibilities. 

I don't think anyone would accuse you of this. :) 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:16 PM, raptron said:

I think it's SO underrated, even for people who maybe don't identify as being particularly social. Having other folks who are emotionally invested in your training and success -- and are rooting for you -- helps so much. 

Completely agree!

That baby goat race! :lol:

Day 2.4

Right after work, I went to lift. Bench was hard for some reason -- I feel like my form was really janky. 

Bench

2 x 5 x 75#

5 x 95#

5 x 110#

4 x 5 x 125#

2 x 5 x 120#

Hip thrusts: 5 x 10 x 185# <-- ow, my butt

Kneeling DB press: 5 x 8 x 30# <-- woof, these are so much harder than with 25#

DB curls: 5 x 10 x 15# <-- lol, WHAT ARE BICEPS. 

Tricep dips: 5 x 15

I went home and ate dinner while reading. I had forgotten that we had a team board meeting planned for Thursday night. Since only one of us had been planning on going to practice, we made it for 8:30 pm instead of 9:30 pm (post-practice) at one of our apartments. We brainstormed the awards for the team to present next weekend at our annual end-of-season party, so I brought ciders to help with the CREATIVITY. 

We were done by 9:45 or so, but I got an SOS from my bestie and went across town to bring her a cheeseburger and get her out of a bad date situation, lol. I got home around 11:30pm and did not ultimately bake for my coworkers. :P

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 4/6

Eat in: 5/8 weeknight meals at home, 1/2 weekend meal at home

Still on to lift tonight (deadlifts!) and then maybe head home and do some looming housework (laundry, tidy my room, maybe clean the bathroom). Gymnastics practice tomorrow morning and meeting a buddy at a newer brewery after, plus probably drinking some juleps for the Derby. Sunday, I PLAN on lifting in the morning -- gotta at least go for a couple of 4 days/week lifts like I said I would. :)

• Like 5

23 hours ago, raptron said:

We brainstormed the awards for the team to present next weekend at our annual end-of-season party, so I brought ciders to help with the CREATIVITY. 

We were done by 9:45 or so, but I got an SOS from my bestie and went across town to bring her a cheeseburger and get her out of a bad date situation, lol.

You're awesome.

I don't know anything about D&D but your write ups are fantastic.

• Thanks 1

The D&D story sounds like so much fun! So does the real life rescue of the friend with the bad date :D 

• Haha 1

Day 2.5

My local family members have remembered I exist and live nearby, so they've started extended invitations for me to join them to various events. However, they're not very good at the whole advanced notice thing, so at 2 PM, I got an invite to come over to celebrate my cousin's birthday at 7 PM. I said sure, fine, I'll come over, but it'll be a bit later (after the gym). 

I did head to the gym and had a nice session of deadlifts:

5 x 135#

5 x 185#

5 x 225#

3 x 255#

3 x 5 x 280#

5 x 275#

Then I did the first few of my sets of front squats, which were supposed to be 5 x 6 x 160#, but on the last rep of my third set, I thought about using my glutes more, which somehow translated to my problematic lower trap deciding to spasm on me. I pouted and putted around a little, laid on a lax ball, etc, but it was in full revolt, so I just unloaded the bar and headed to my cousin's house. We had homemade pizza (so I'm counting it as a weeknight meal in) and played a bunch of rounds of speed scrabble. 

Day 2.6

I went to gymnastics practice mostly so I could stretch and warm-up the offending muscle. I got bored of just stretching, so I did a lot of turns on floor and balance beam as well as some jumps. Leaps had a bit too much upper body movement, funnily enough. I ended with a bunch of active split work, but didn't figure out any shenanigans to film for the challenge/instagram. Ooops.

I walked a bunch on Saturday to get in some activity, at least. My friend and I got beers at the new taproom I mentioned and then walked across town to my fave haunt and hung out there for far too long. Around midnight, I walked home and drunk texted... so many people. Lol.

Day 2.7

I woke up early on Sunday because my neighbor was having a personal training session at 7:30 AM in her backyard, which was right outside my window. Good for her, but does anyone really need to better themselves that early in the morning on a Sunday? :P 

Since my back was still being twitchy, I decided against going to the gym and, given the excess of Saturday both for me and my friend who I was planning on hanging out with on Sunday, didn't feel like pursuing much in the way of Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Instead, I went to a nearby cafe and read outside (in the not very warm weather), did laundry, tidied my room, did some overall house cleaning, thought about making cookies but decided to nap instead, and watched a bit of TV. I went over to a friend's for Game of Thrones and that was that.

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 5/6

Eat in: 6/8 weeknight meals at home, 2/2 weekend meal at home

• Like 5

ughhhh sorry about the muscle. can you blame your local family members? i bet they distracted you during a perfectly planned lifting session.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

ughhhh sorry about the muscle. can you blame your local family members? i bet they distracted you during a perfectly planned lifting session.

18 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Grrrr that trap - why's it gotta be such a traitor? Sounds like you still made a fun weekend out of it though!

It's a jerkwad!

Day 3.1

I debated going to practice or skipping to watch the Bruins game and stalk Met Gala looks on Twitter... but I went to practice. :P My trap was/is generally a bit twingey but didn't seem to feel worse during any of the things I worked on below. I avoided bars because that would have been a bad idea for it and the trial low beam back handspring I did also wasn't too hot, but the other things were fine. 

I worked on a lot of front tumbling -- including trying to rebound out of front handspring + front layouts so that maybe one day I can add another flip on there. And then I did my trouble double salto pass, but I had 3 good ones, 2 ok ones and only 1 to my butt. I'm still struggling a lot with consistency, but I'm getting good ones more often. 

I did a bunch of full turns and switch leaps on balance beam. And jumps. Plus started working on stepping into a front tuck dismount if I am going to really try to pursue this front walkover + front tuck dismount dream I have for next season on balance beam. :P I also did drills from back layout step-outs off a panel mat onto the big soft resi mat. 

It was SUPER PRODUCTIVE. :)

Then I ate tacos.

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 5/9

Offseason shenanigans: 1/3

Eat in: 6/12 weeknight meals at home, 2/3 weekend meal at home

Reflections: 1/3

Tues: squats + grocery shop + prep some food

Weds: maybe lift, but maybe go for a JOG? + D&D 

Thurs: gymnastics probably

Fri: lift + friend hangs

Sat: gymnastics practice + end of season party

Sun: ??? + call my mom (it's Mothers' Day in the US)

I also owe you guys some more reflections and silly shenanigans. :P

• Like 5

Day 3.2

It was FINALLY a nice spring day! Warm and sunny and breezy! I spent about an hour and a half or so working outside in the afternoon and was just so happy to be able to do so. I did wind up working a bit late with one of my California-based colleagues prepping some things meeting on Wednesday, so by the time I left, the skies had darkened and of course they opened up on me during my walk to the gym. :rolleyes:

I don't really mind a warm rain though! And my gym clothes were mostly dry.

Squats

5 x 135#

5 x 165#

5 x 195#

3 x 225#

1 x 245#

4 x 3 x 255# <-- I was nervous about theseeee, even though I did 5 x 250# within the last month or so. My program will venture into weights and percentages I haven't really touched since last fall, so there will be some mental games going on, I'm sure. My last rep of my last set was GLACIALLY SLOW, but I don't think it was a strength hard limit so much as a "lol wtf are we doing" question from my CNS

Stiff legged deadlifts: 5 x 8 x 170#

Currrrls for the girls: 5 x 10 x 15# dbs

Chin-ups: 4, 4, 3, 3, 1

I did not go to the grocery store because I realized I had some things I needed to cook up and it was raining quite a bit still, so I went home and used some sweet potatoes I had prepped to make spicy salmon sweet potato cakes (mashed sweet potato, bread crumbs, canned salmon, egg, gochujang), which I ate with sauteed spinach and cabbage. I considered making cookies yet again, but it was 9 PM and I was weirdly tired so I did some D&D prep, read, and went to bed before 10:30 pm.

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 6/9

Eat in: 7/12 weeknight meals at home, 2/3 weekend meal at home

• Like 2

Day 3.3

It was too beautiful of a day to not go for a run and my lat is in still about the same shape as it was on Monday, so I didn't quite feel comfortable going to the gm for bench day. 

0a1399245fb4b5ffd9f9e3b9e048a7ca.png

So, I would never go to the gym after a break and pick up the same weights I had when I last was there, but for some reason, I am fine doing basically that for running...? There are probably smarter ways to go about this. But, I was like "oh, I'll do 2 miles" but then the lady told me I had run more than that at the 20 minute mark and then I was like "ok, 5 more minutes" and then I was at 2.7 so I was like "UGH I GUESS I SHOULD JUST FINISH UP .3 MORE MILES."

I

will say, my aerobic capacity actually felt pretty good! My ankles didn't love it, but nothing like felt objectively BAD bad.

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 6/9

Eat in: 7/12 weeknight meals at home, 2/3 weekend meal at home

Also I finally have my floor routine from Nationals! 

My first pass is the new pass and you can see from my low landing that it still needs a lot of work! And that also I don't know what I'm doing sometimes, lol. BUT that's the end of that routine! I'm making a new one for next season and am deciding between a few different routes (being a forest troll creature! riot grrl! 90s throwbacks?!) for my music and theme. I did two 80s ones in a row (Top Gun and then this Footloose/Dirty Dancing mashup), so I think it's time to change it up. 

• Like 7

On 5/9/2019 at 8:59 AM, raptron said:

Also I finally have my floor routine from Nationals! 

My first pass is the new pass and you can see from my low landing that it still needs a lot of work! And that also I don't know what I'm doing sometimes, lol. BUT that's the end of that routine! I'm making a new one for next season and am deciding between a few different routes (being a forest troll creature! riot grrl! 90s throwbacks?!) for my music and theme. I did two 80s ones in a row (Top Gun and then this Footloose/Dirty Dancing mashup), so I think it's time to change it up. 

Awesome!!!!! You should definitely go with forest creature for the next one. 

Really enjoyed that Floor routine :)  When you are putting together a new routine, do you have to choreograph the whole thing yourself or are there other resources available to draw from?

Loved watching that routine!

On 5/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, raptron said:

BUT that's the end of that routine! I'm making a new one for next season and am deciding between a few different routes (being a forest troll creature! riot grrl! 90s throwbacks?!) for my music and theme. I did two 80s ones in a row (Top Gun and then this Footloose/Dirty Dancing mashup), so I think it's time to change it up. 

Oh oh exciting times!! what's the max length again for a floor routine?

TL;DR: I drank a lot over the weekend and my quality of movement was poorer as a result, but I still got a surprising amount of things done? :P 

Day 3.4

I had a bit of a shit Thursday.

I tried to buy tickets to the Bruins game but got swindled (so it happens sometimes with secondhand tickets :P). I would have been fine but the guy kept texting me like he actually WAS going to deliver them instead of just fucking off once I paid him, like any normal swindler would, so I had spent like 3-4 hours anxious about getting these tickets before it was actually clear that he was full of shit. As I said to my friend, "yeah, I can get the money refunded, but I can't get a refund on my emotional investment." 

My friends and I met up at a bar instead. I ate most of a buffalo chicken pizza and way too much beer because I had been pretty upset about the whole situation. 

Day 3.5

I woke up hot and hit with HORRIBLE hangxiety at 5 AM on Friday morning, laid in bed for 2 hours, drifted off for another 30 minute, and then got up  for work. I had no other hangover symptoms, but man that really messed with my morning.

I went to the gym after work and my lat was actually pretty much back to normal except if I twisted my upper body dramatically, which isn't really something you do in powerlifting. :P 

Bench: 4 x 3 x 130#, 5 x 10 x 95#

Hip thrusts: 5 x 10 x 185#

Plank kb drag throughs: 5 x 10 x 25# each side

Half get-ups: 5 x 5 x 25# each side

I went home, showered, had dinner, and then went to visit my friend at work (at a German restaurant). I had a couple of drinks at the bar and chatted with him and the bartender. I begged off making other plans with people I was texting because I planned on going to bed early to try to make-up for my 5 AM sweaty wake up moment in the morning.

I walked home but stopped in a bar near my house to see if another friend of mine was working -- she was not, but I got a drink. And while there, I met some randoms coming out of a nearby show who were going dancing at some DJ set called THE GLITTER BOYS for a show that was either free for $5 and I had heard a buddy talk about how much they love going, so I was like, "yeah, sure!" Sometimes "going to bed early" turns into dancing until 2:30. I did see my friend there too. And it was a nice night when it stopped raining + there was a patio open. 

I went to bed with a little bowl of cheez-its to eat in bed (lol, drunk things) but fell asleep so soundly that I woke up and they were completely undisturbed next to me in the bowl. 

Day 3.6

I unsurprisingly did not really do a whole lot at practice. I did a smattering of front tumbling and then went to bars to work on a fun new mount (springboard, jump over the low bar, catch the high bar) and got maybe 1-2 steps into the drill progressions there. The rest of the time was spent on cast to handstand drills with a mixed result: 

After practice, we went out patio drinkin' because it was 70 and sunny and beautiful! My friend came over and helped me hang a mirror and then other folks came by to sit on my porch with me and keep me company while I finished up the team award medals (and kept drinking). 

Finally finished that up and got ready for the party! It was fun and I think people liked their awards in general. but I didn't eat a real dinner, so you know how that went. I was a bit melancholy at the post-party bar hang situation for various reasons, but we good.

Day 3.7

This workout took 2 hours and most of it was lying on the ground or on one of the benches. 

Deadlifts: 6 x 2 x 285# <-- supposed to be 4 x 3, but I was dying

Front squats: 2 x 5 x 155#, 3 x 3 x 170#

Single leg glute bridges: 5 x 25 per side

Lat raises: 5 x 10 x 15#

Bent over db row: 5 x 10 x 40#

I picked up groceries, prepped a bunch of chicken and cauliflower, and made a big ass cobb salad for dinner plus bacon, cheddar, scallion scones:

6308aa5d202eaf586f143baa66551747.png

Lifting: program - 1/1, lifting sessions 8/9

Eat in: 8/12 weeknight meals at home, 3/3 weekend meal at home

I haven't been very reflective here yet, you guys. I'm sorry! I'll mull things over more this week, I think. 

• Like 3