• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet Lives to Eat

OK so my last challenge came to a pretty abrupt halt. Context has been spoilerised because it's sad, so you can skip it with my blessing:

Spoiler

A couple of weeks ago we discovered our puppy has lymphoma, which has been devastating. He started chemotherapy the other day and so far things are looking good and we're starting to get comfortable in the new routine of regular vet visits and special care. I'm not gonna lie, there's been a fair amount of emotional eating on my part, which helped in the first few days because crying is exhausting and McDonald's chocolate frappes are my shortcut to happiness. But I can't let that become part of the new normal, so it's time to step up and get back into healthy eating habits.

The last couple of weeks have been a real rollercoaster but things are starting to calm down again so I'm going to have a go with a small challenge just to keep my head in the game. My wedding dress is expected to arrive in the next couple of weeks and if possible I'd like to at least get back to the weight I was the day I tried it on! I've been sort of yo-yoing since late January, and I do have some amazing shapewear but I don't want to test its limits too far.

For this challenge I'm going to focus on my nutrition habits. Last time I was sort of easing myself into intermittent fasting, with mixed success. By that I mean I'm pretty comfortable with the timing of it and I don't mind skipping breakfast, but I really need to be more mindful of the quality of food I'm consuming. I won't get far if I'm spending the whole eight hours munching Easter chocolate!

1) Intermittent Fasting. Aim for a 16:8 pattern, between about 1pm to 9pm.

2) Track all food. Recording everything will keep me mindful about how much I'm having, and particularly how much I ought to be having.

3) Any exercise at all is a win. My running buddy is more limited than usual so I'll just have to see how I go. I was planning to get back into running this challenge, but maybe I'll get back into knee pushups instead?

• Like 4

Day 1 is done and it was an easy one because of the long weekend. Fiancé wanted to watch Game of Thrones before lunch, so I started the day with some Easter chocolate snacking at 1:30. But then I balanced that out with a nice homemade banana smoothie for proper lunch. Managed to resist any further snacking until dinner, which was sausages and salad. Apparently I forgot to buy frozen chips the other day, so that meant dinner tonight was healthier. And all that within a tidy eight-hour window.

Haven't done any exercise today. Was toying with the idea of a nice long walk with the puppy, but of course as soon as I said so out loud the thunder started. I might squeeze in some pushups or something before bed, but the real goal of the evening is to resist the last of the Easter chocolate! 

• Like 4

Easter chocolate!!!!!! I only have one thing of chocolates left. I plan on sharing with the boyfriend cause he shared his. Even though I was a chocolate fiend yesterday lol.... Shame

Ugh I still haven't got to stary S8 of GoT :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tateman said:

Glad to see you back. Hopefully, things are good with the doggo. 

It's good to be back! He's doing just fine, thanks :D 

21 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Easter chocolate!!!!!! I only have one thing of chocolates left. I plan on sharing with the boyfriend cause he shared his. Even though I was a chocolate fiend yesterday lol.... Shame

Ugh I still haven't got to stary S8 of GoT :(

We kept it low-key this year and just got two big eggs each, I've got one left but I'll try to ration it out. Or at least try not to have it for breakfast, which is basically what happened yesterday ;) I got to work this morning and someone had left a few little eggs and a mini bunny on my desk, so the collection is still growing!

Don't worry, my challenge thread is always a spoiler-free zone! I'm also using my super Australian time travel powers to see Avengers: Endgame earlier than you guys but I promise I'll try to stay calm ;)

• Like 4

Tuesday was a challenge. It was my first day back at work after nearly a whole week off, which is always a comedown, plus there's not much to do at work these days so the boredom cravings were very active. Also I had a slice of carrot cake I was saving until after lunch that was just sitting there on my desk tempting me all morning. But I managed to wait! Got a laksa for lunch, and then had my cake and some easter chocolate. Then I had ravioli for dinner, all safely within my eating window. 

I did do some quick exercises before bed last night! Might yet manage some tonight as well, or I'll fall asleep on the couch watching Infinity War, only time will tell.

• Like 2

Yep I fell asleep, how annoying! I just got too comfy on the couch, plus I think not having dessert means I don't get that extra sugar boost to fuel any activity past midnight. Anyway, I'll save the theorising for tomorrow, now I'm in bed it's sleepytime proper

• Like 1

It's Wednesday morning and I'm still a bit sleepy. Contemplating an afternoon nap later just because it's going to be a long night; I booked the 10pm screening, forgetting that Endgame is three hours long! Good thing it's a public holiday tomorrow so I can sleep in.

I think this IF thing is shifting my bedtime. Last night was not an isolated incident! Sacrificing breakfast is easy, but doing without evening snacks is turning out to be a major lifestyle change. After dinner I'm no longer getting up off the couch every now and then for some icecream or chocolate, so I'm missing out on the energy I'd get from the sugar and from moving around a whole lot more, so straight to sleep I go. Maybe I need to get back into sudoku or something to keep my brain active in the evenings, or maybe make myself do some exercises while watching TV rather than veg out on the couch... unless the exhaustion from exercise will just accelerate the sleepiness!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 9:12 PM, Lateral Planet said:

We kept it low-key this year and just got two big eggs each, I've got one left but I'll try to ration it out. Or at least try not to have it for breakfast, which is basically what happened yesterday ;) I got to work this morning and someone had left a few little eggs and a mini bunny on my desk, so the collection is still growing!

Don't worry, my challenge thread is always a spoiler-free zone! I'm also using my super Australian time travel powers to see Avengers: Endgame earlier than you guys but I promise I'll try to stay calm ;)

Oh I am jealous lol My coworker makes chocolate eggs (the size of an chicken egg) with fudge inside. But the fudge part makes my mouth itchy if I eat too much. Naturally I ate the whole thing in one sitting. 

That is good to hear! And also a bit unfair but I appreciate you keeping your calm (or trying?) :P I don't know when I will get to see Endgame... booooo lol I am super excited for it though and I will really need to commence spoiler dodging everywhere else haha. I feel GoT spoilers will be easier to dodge than the Endgame ones.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tateman said:

Stick a timer on the other side of the room that you have to get up and turn off every so often ;)

Not a bad idea at all!

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

That is good to hear! And also a bit unfair but I appreciate you keeping your calm (or trying?) :P I don't know when I will get to see Endgame... booooo lol I am super excited for it though and I will really need to commence spoiler dodging everywhere else haha. I feel GoT spoilers will be easier to dodge than the Endgame ones.

I just got back from Endgame and I am really struggling to stay calm!! So good :D:D

Was breaking all the rules today. I decided early on that I would have ice cream at the cinema, which I did and it was amazing. Also I surrendered to the boredom cravings and had the last slice of that carrot cake this morning. Dinner was just oven chips, but lunch was a super healthy salad. Well, one healthy meal out of four isn't great, but it's better than none at all!

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

I just got back from Endgame and I am really struggling to stay calm!! So good :D:D

Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!Ican'twait!

• Like 2

Thursday was literally one big headache. We didn't get home from the movie til 2am, and I was just so hyped I needed some time to chill before trying to sleep. So as well as all the Endgame feels I was running on maybe four hours of sleep. Fiancé was all headachey too so we just relaxed at home most of the day.

Had a late lunch because there was nothing to eat in the house, and it was Anzac Day so nothing was open til after 1pm. We decided to treat ourselves to a nice pub lunch but I think they forgot about us so we didn't get to order for a while. Finally got to eat at about 2:30, I had some yummy barramundi with sweet potato fries and steamed veggies. When we got home I put on a movie and got my last Easter egg to snack on, but Fiancé fell asleep so I ended up eating it all myself, oops! For dinner I made veal saltimbocca with roast potatoes and salad. So apart from all the chocolate it was a fairly healthy day.

Now it's Friday and I'm back at work, but I don't much want to be. Pretty much everyone else used some leave to get the whole week off (because nobody wants to work just Tues, Wed and Fri) but I'm trying to save mine so I have to come in. Can't wait for the weekend!

• Like 3

On 4/21/2019 at 4:55 AM, Lateral Planet said:

My wedding dress is expected to arrive

:O Dude!  Can you share a picture of the dress?!?! 

2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Anzac Day

If you don't mind me asking what is that?

Well lady, I love the simplicity of your goals.  Now I love skipping breakfast, but what do you do so you don't become a Monstrous eating machine at 1?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Butternut said:

:O Dude!  Can you share a picture of the dress?!?! 

I completely forgot to get a pic of myself in the dress (when it finally comes in that's the first thing I'm doing!), but this is it on the website: https://www.morilee.com/product/bridesmaids/lace-bridesmaids-dress-with-beading-and-cold-shoulder-neckline/

1 hour ago, Butternut said:

If you don't mind me asking what is that?

Anzac Day is kind of the Aussie equivalent of Veterans Day. It's the anniversary of Australia's first engagement in WWI, which was a pretty big deal since we were a brand-new country at the time. Everyone gets the day off, we have a two-minute silence at 11am, we eat special Anzac cookies, and, for the last couple of years, we go see the latest Avengers movie.

2 hours ago, Butternut said:

Well lady, I love the simplicity of your goals.  Now I love skipping breakfast, but what do you do so you don't become a Monstrous eating machine at 1?

I kind of eased myself into it but I'm now at the point where I don't feel all that hungry in the mornings. I try to have a decent-sized hot lunch, so I'm usually good for a few hours. Still working on not overdoing the snacking between lunch and dinner, but I'm getting the hang of it!

• Like 3

Friday was a bit of a mix. Didn't prepare anything for lunch so I just got some hot chips from the cafeteria. Not healthy, but at least I managed to resist the boredom hunger and wait til 1pm to have lunch. Also had a few marshmallows. Dinner was veal schnitzel, roasted potatoes and salad, Fiancé's specialty.

Saturday has been better. Had a nice banana smoothie for lunch and just a few bites of chocolate and a mandarin for a snack, then lamb cutlets, roasted potatoes, salad and garlic bread for dinner. So much healthier than yesterday. 

Also I finally did some exercise! Took the puppy for a walk somewhere new today, up the tallest hill in our suburb. It was a short one but geez it was steep! Took a good long break at the top to wait for my heart to calm down, and also to enjoy the view but mostly the heart thing; been pretty slack on the cardio lately. Discomfort aside it was a lovely walk, puppy had a good time and we saw some roos. Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of the city, if you see wildlife it counts as a bushwalk!

540081139_2019-04-2722_48_39.thumb.jpg.d8a4bf66c9fa754dbb53570c22d4a377.jpg

• Like 2

More exercise today, we did a nice long walk for the Zombies Run virtual race. No running, but it was fun to listen to the story anyway. Had to sneak past a red-bellied black snake in the path, so I'm about done with Australian wildlife for a while.

Lunch was a big bowl of watermelon, yum! Steak, chips and salad for dinner. All well within the eight-hour window because lunch was late, but I also snacked on some potato chips and chocolate so mixed results there.

• Like 2

Week 1 recap: not a perfect week, but I'm still here so that's a win! Aside from challenge stuff it's been a good week. I managed some more wedding stuff after a long few weeks of ignoring it. Got our celebrant locked in and ordered some fake flowers from someone on Etsy, feels like progress!

1) Intermittent fasting = 3/7

I managed three fasts of 16 hours and three of 15.5, so that's pretty good overall.

2) Track all food = 7/7

Well I've been doing this but not in a huge amount of detail. Also the quality of food hasn't been great; mostly my actual meals were pretty healthy but I've done a lot of snacking as well. Something to work on in week 2.

3) Exercise = 3/7

I didn't exercise very often, but when I did it was pretty substantial. After that uphill trek on Saturday I'm suprised my legs weren't super sore!

Result: I lost 1.6kg... somehow? Like I said, I feel like I haven't eaten super well, but I suppose it helps that I'm not also having a sugary breakfast. Also I suspect some hormonal junk may be responsible; I keep forgetting that's a monthly factor in weight fluctuations. Anyway, I'm all set to keep going in week 2. I hope that now I'm out of Easter chocolate and there are no holidays or late nights throwing me off my groove it should be a bit easier!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tateman said:

well done! That walk looks very nice. 

Thanks! It was nice, although I was pretty wiped afterward. It's very nice to live in a city so close to the bush, but I could do without the snakes!

Monday went well, and I even managed to do some sneaky squats while at work. Lunch was a nice salad, and I had a few marshmallows for an afternoon pick-me-up. Had tacos for dinner, which we had a bit earlier than usual so we could watch Game of Thrones before I started to get sleepy, so IF was easy!

• Like 3

Did more sneaky squats on Tuesday because I knew I wouldn't get much of a chance for exercise otherwise. I had to buy lunch from the cafeteria, luckily it was OK, veg gyoza with rice and steamed veg. Then it was our turn to host the monthly family dinner, so I made a whole lot of curry: lamb kofte korma and chicken tikka masala, with rice, pappadoms and sides. Then we had store-bought chocolate Bavarian for dessert. And since we had company dinner was heaps earlier than usual so I did super well with IF again.

1150708603_2019-04-3022_27_15.thumb.jpg.35e2ee0f9554f3ee04d9e0959025780a.jpg

• Like 3

That looks yummy :)

I can do without the snakes too when out there walking around.  When I was a kid, we use to go to the beach more often. We had our fair share of rattlesnake run ins back then haha.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tateman said:

That looks yummy :)

I can do without the snakes too when out there walking around.  When I was a kid, we use to go to the beach more often. We had our fair share of rattlesnake run ins back then haha.

Not gonna lie, it's pretty darn tasty! Plus there were enough leftovers that I've got lunch covered for the rest of the week. The only problem was Fiancé had to drive his grandma back way across town afterwards so I had to do the washing up as well. It's definitely his turn tonight!

Rattlesnakes are very cool, as long as they maintain a respectful distance! I'm coming to your part of the world for my honeymoon, maybe I'll get to see one for myself :)

• Like 2