• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Arcelas the n00b

New Thread: Here I go again (But not on my own)

So here I go again. Wow, it's been a long time. I'll summarize some major life changes:

1. Getting close to a one year anniversary with my girlfriend!
  2. Over a year at my IT job
  3. Been off my medicine (depression, anxiety) for over a year

So now that the good is out of the way, on to the less good. I got really out of shape again. After a photography-related accident, (fell off a cliff) I could not walk for 6 months. Needless to say, health and mental outlook suffered. I've been walking again since January, so time to respawn, reload, and destroy this challenge.

2019 Master Quests

1. Lose 63 lbs.
    1. Eat Better
    2. Be Active
  2. Get Out of Debt
    1. Review/reduce spending
    2. Organize debts
    3. Contact creditors regarding settlements
  3. Become Much Better At Magic
    1. Education
    2. Practice
  4. Become A Much Better Vocalist
    1. Education
    2. Practice
  5. Perform a magic show
    1. Practice favorite effects till perfect
    2. Build a cohesive routine
    3. Research volunteer opportunities
  6. Build my photography business
    1. Do a few TFP photo shoots to build buzz
    2. Consistent marketing
    3. Prospective client engagement

Whew! That's a lot of quests! I should probably just buy a quart of pralines and cream, a 2 liter of mountain dew and watch 14 hours of youtube videos right?

#$CK NO! Let's break this *$%^ down into manageable pieces:

S.M.A.R.T. Goals:

1. Drink no more than one 21 once soda a week during the challenge (date night, movie, etc)
  2. Maintain 90% or better daily calorie goals
  3. Hit 5000 steps a day (average)
  4. Perform magic set for one open mic night

• Like 5

Wednesday, April 24 - 5:557 AM (Kiefer Sutherland's voice)

1st two days of the challenge went pretty well. Easily hit my calorie goals, even with the boss in town and taking me to a local BBQ place (burnt ends are amazing!). I had a Coke Zero during lunch. I'm not sure if that breaks the rules of the challenge or not. It is zero calorie. Boss is in town till Thursday; corporate credit cards can be bad for staying with your goals.

Today is my weekly weigh-in day. Down to 279.6. The 1st time I'm been under 280 in almost 2 years! Long ways to go, but nice to see progress.

• Like 3

Hey! Great challenge. I am also wanting to get out of debt and lose weight :) I am also or was 279.6lbs lol I might be back up a few lbs. 

Falling off a cliff sounds terrifying.  Nope nope nope. 

Coke Zero... hm I think that depends on your reasoning for cutting back. If it is the calories from soda than I think it counts and it is a good substitute in the mean time. Later challenges you could work on lessening your soda all together. However if it is to cut back soda in general than it goes against your challenge. So.. Up to you and your reasoning! :)

Congrats on your milestones btw! Those are some big ones.

giphy.gif

Do you have a stage name? :O

• Like 2

Yes I do. It's just my middle name and my family's original name. So, Jacob Ellison. You can check out my Instagram if you want. I just started it, so not much magic on it yet. Instagram.com/JacobEllisonillusions

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Journey continues. 

Boss was here for three glorious days of corporate-sponsored lunches! Day 2 and 3, I only had water or unsweetened tea. I did decide I broke the spirit of the challenge, so gave myself a naughty point for the Coke Zero. Accidental went over my calories by 103 yesterday (curse you delicious biscuits!), but my steps were 6700, so I dona feel too badly about it.

Here's a random photo I took of one of my favorite decks of cards. (I collect playing cards)

IMG_0379.jpg

• Like 4

Good morning!

Week 1 is in the bag! Here's a quick run down of the good, the bad, the future (how we track metrics at work)

Good:

1. Only went over calories once last week, but average was still under

2. Had only the one sugary soda, during date night as planned

3. Hit at least 5k steps on 4 of 7 days, and hit 11,000 on Saturday

4. Did a 15 minute magic set to open for a local magic shop's Sunday show

Bad:

1. Had a non-date night soda on Monday (sugar-free, but still, rules)

2. Overate yesterday at a pizza buffet

Future:

1. Continue eating sensibly, counting calories

2. 5k steps

3. continue NF body workout level one (started yesterday)

4. See if I can open again sometime for the Magic shop

Let's keep this challenge going. My girlfriend and I bought new active wear yesterday, so we can go on walks together, and start working out as well.

• Like 4

You killed it! I would love my BF to come on walks with me so we can Pokemon GO together and walk all 3 dogs at once. He has a hip thing going on lately though :( and shin splints. 

Great job on your calories.. I really struggle with that. If I get over by only 100cals I actually celebrate haha.

• Like 1

Wacky, wonderful, weigh-in Wednesday! What wonders will it reveal? Will we welcome it with woeful weeping? Will we warble wistfully?

WOW! Another Win.!

Down to 277.8, the lightest I've been in 3 years!  Calories were on point, steps were solid. I have knocked two NF bodyweight workouts out so far. (1a & 1b) I bought the Tarbell Magic Course, to go back to the beginning and work on my basics. Finally, I have 29 days of calorie tracking in LoseIt. Feeling good about things in general, lets keep this going!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

T'was a good week! Under calories, weigh-in went well, and I only had 1 soda, on date night, as planned! I only did two workouts instead of three, but I'm not too worried, as working out is not part of the challenge.

It's actually going almost TOO well... I have this feeling of foreboding. My fitness plans have never gone this well before. I'm waiting to be carried away by a pterodactyl. 

What do you do when the demons of dread show up? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arcelas the n00b said:

What do you do when the demons of dread show up?

I sit down with it. I picture a child version of myself sitting with me, uncomfortable and upset, and ask her what's going on and how I can help her feel safe and loved and supported. It's my opinion that feelings like that come from somewhere, some past experience or hurt. Often it's a lack of self-esteem, a sense that "I know myself to be a failure and therefore not qualified for this level of success; if I feel so successful, I must be doing something wrong and I haven't realized it yet. When I find out, it's gonna suck." I talk to myself that way (less now) but picturing myself as a child gives me some distance. I would never speak to anyone else like that, especially not a little kid. With a child, it's easy to say "Ok, maybe you messed up this time, but that doesn't make you a failure unless you give up and let this be the end. Maybe you're not qualified to be great at this, but maybe that's because you haven't spent much time practicing. You've still got time. Keep at it and see how it goes. We'll do it together." 

Instead of thinking of dread as a demon, something evil and cruel that is out to sabotage me, thinking of it as a scared kid makes it easier to face it and support myself through the struggle. YMMV. 

• Like 2

Sunday was my birthday. My girlfriend had food poisoning, my car broke down, I didn't make it to my buddy's magic show...

SO I ordered pizza hut. two desserts, and a 4 pack of sodas. Clearly even after 40 days of healthy eating and calorie counting, at the first sign of trouble, I revert to my old ways. 

In better news, weigh-in Wednesday went well. down to 273lbs. Sick today though.

1 hour ago, Arcelas the n00b said:

Sunday was my birthday. My girlfriend had food poisoning, my car broke down, I didn't make it to my buddy's magic show...

SO I ordered pizza hut. two desserts, and a 4 pack of sodas. Clearly even after 40 days of healthy eating and calorie counting, at the first sign of trouble, I revert to my old ways. 

In better news, weigh-in Wednesday went well. down to 273lbs. Sick today though.

Highest of fives on the weigh in! I am floating around 279.2lbs... GO DOWN SIR...Maam... weight. 

Did you pick yourself back up and get on with healthy eating the next day though?! That is the important thing. 

ALSO... HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

4 minutes ago, Arcelas the n00b said:

Sunday was my birthday.

Happy birthd...

4 minutes ago, Arcelas the n00b said:

My girlfriend had food poisoning, my car broke down, I didn't make it to my buddy's magic show...

Okay, maybe not so happy. You might have hit a rough patch and jumped a bit of track, but the weight number shows that you didn't totally derail. Hopefully things get better again soon.

• Like 1