jstanlick vs. The Hydra

jstanlick

And I'm not talking about those Red Skull disciples with the bad stereotyped German accents either. This is more like the large mythical lizard of dragon descent. Well, it seems like that.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cbd12ab343934354d

Finally made it to the doctor so I could get my prescription refilled for my test strips. Apparently, my experimenting and my lack of sleep followed by nearly two weeks of no accountibility without being able to test my blood sugar caused a bit of a backslide in my A1C numbers. On the plus side, my lipid numbers continue to improve. They are better than any other time in my life. My LDL number are below 100. My HDL is in the 60's, giving me one hell of a ratio between the two. However, A1C is worse than it has been since a year ago. Still not those crazy high numbers of 16 months ago. But, above 6.0 which really pisses me off. So, time to get back after it.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cbd113066302e6d36

Last challenge proved to me that the best way to defeat the dawn phenomenon is to make sure I'm less lenient with the diet and remain consistent with the exercise. Could I maximize it with eating this at this time ans exercising this way at that time. Yes. But, it would still need to be consistent and consistency becomes difficult when your schedule doesn't fit. Otherwise, that damn thing grows another head back and bites you in the ass.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cbd11746b4a4e7667

To beat him back into submission, I'm getting back to the basics that got me where I was and I'm going to stop pursuing the more perfect solution.

1. Exercise...a lot. A minimum of 1 extended HIIT training session per week. Should be easy since I motivated myself by buying a membership to a Cross training gym called Shred 415 in the area. If I don't use the sessions I bought, my money goes up in smoke. In addition, at least 2 runs per week. Plus 2 other workouts per week. That's 2 rest days and serious movement other days.
  2. Begin the march towards ketosis. That's a lot of exercising so I don't want to drop my carbs to zero overnight. However, I can't find another diet that has been studied as much against metabolic disorders and proved effective against almost all of them. I'm not going to look at net carbs this go 'round. I'm going to work towards getting my total carb count in a day down near the 50g mark. Right now, my average day hovers around 90g-110g per day. So over 4 weeks, try to cut that in half. That may be hard to do if I'm hitting my exercise goals. That's a lot of stress to ask of my body. But, the goal here is about direction and trending the right way.
  3. De-stress. Sleep more, stress less. Sleep deprivation and increased stress are not good for one's blood sugar. Less challenge I did both and paid the price. Sometimes my job doesn't let me avoid both, but I didn't handle it well either. The goal is to average 7 hours 15 minutes of sleep a night by the end of the challenge. Over the last 7 days it was 7 hours, 1 minute. Over the last 14 days it was 6 hours 35 minutes. To achieve this, I'm going to plan on shutting off devices by 9:30 PM every night. That doesn't sound that hard, but for some reason it is.
  4. Get my kids excited about exercise. I have no idea how to measure this. But, I have a daughter who wants to get stronger and pass her life guarding class she's currently taking, a son that thinks he'd like to lose some weight because sometimes people make fun of his weight and another son who doesn't stop moving but really would play Minecraft 24 hours a day if his mom and dad let him. Even when he's playing he's not sitting in a chair. He's dancing around the keyboard. I also have a dog that stand to lose a couple of pounds now that winter is finally gone. They all have different interests. But, trying to get them all excited about it has proven harder than I thought. For my daughter I think it will mostly revolve around helping her with her chemistry class so she's not spending so much time struggling with it that she doesn't have time to do the yoga and lifting she likes doing. For my oldest son, I think it will be finding him a new bike. He likes bike riding and isn't as keen on the running I make him do at track practice -- he'd be happy throwing shot put and discus and never stepping on the track. And for the youngest, it will be taking him running I think. He loves running. The problem is that being the youngest he often ends up last to get his needs met in a day.

So there you have it. Many things coming together at once to have a lasting effect.

• Like 7

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Great plan. I love how thoughtful you are about each of your kid's interests.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Solid plan brother.

Thanks man!

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Great plan. I love how thoughtful you are about each of your kid's interests.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that if you don't like it, you won't do it. Regardless of how good it may be for you. So, the best exercise routine for you is the one you'll stick to.

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

These are wonderful goals J !! Following along of course xx

Thanks! Always glad to have you. No let's see if this time around I can get back to more regular updates :highly_amused:

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Yet another reason for my nutritional goals can be found here. It was published in 2015 mind you, but the good folks over at CrossFit.com were kind enough to post a summary and link to it on Saturday. And then there is this one that was published April 1st, 2019. Scientific evidence keeps piling up and anecdotally my numbers seem best when I eat the smallest amount of carbs. Why do they have to taste so darn good? And why do they have to be inserted into just about every kind of food out there? This would be a lot easier without either of those 2 things. 

• Like 1

I agree with Elastigirl. It really is cool how thoughtful you have been about helping your kids in different ways.

You should add in a couple extra ball throws for the poor dog too! ;-)

Based on what you've done in the past, I'm pretty confident your numbers will improve now that you have the test strips.

• Thanks 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

17 hours ago, Xena said:

I agree with Elastigirl. It really is cool how thoughtful you have been about helping your kids in different ways.

You should add in a couple extra ball throws for the poor dog too! ;-)

Based on what you've done in the past, I'm pretty confident your numbers will improve now that you have the test strips.

Well, the kids are all different. They grew up in the same household, but they've got their own personalities and quirks. My youngest was a born runner. It just comes naturally to him. The other two are not big fans, especially my middle child. He hates it, and I signed him up for track anyway because he spends too much time sitting if I leave him up to his own devices. Really need to get him that new bike I promised him. His is just too small, but he does like biking around the neighborhood.

I feel bad for the dog. She is such a sweetie. I was going to take her with me and the boys to the park yesterday, but she's afraid of thunder and a storm was rolling in. She's so much better than the weatherman. I know if the weather is going to get bad a few hours before it does because she runs for cover.

• Like 3

Yesterday I did get in a long workout with the boys. It's their spring break, so I dragged them both through a modified track practice at the park. I thought it would be more fun running around the baseball diamonds and sprinting up the sledding hill as well as pull-ups/inverted rows on the monkey bars and low box jumps on the picnic table benches. They didn't think it was as much fun as I did. Oh well. I tried.

Food started off really well. Didn't finish as well and ended up hitting my usual carb intake for a day. And, since I was watching the Bucks/Pistons Game 4 (Giannis really is a freak of nature -- I don't know how he does what he does) on my phone, I blew past the no devices after 9:30. Work was extra special irritating, so reducing stress didn't happen there. All in all, it sounds like not a great day when I read back what I just wrote. But, it didn't feel like a bad day...well, the work stuff did. But, the rest wasn't so bad. Or at least I didn't think so. Maybe I was just happy the Bucks can get some rest before taking on the Celtics.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Really cool effort! Some day they'll remember and at least joke about being tortured together. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cbfc27c6d6f715036

I wonder if the story will eventually be that dad made them run up hill in the snow and it was a 10 mile run to the park. It was 2 blocks and 71 degrees, but that won't make as good a story :highly_amused:

• Like 1

Well, shit. So much for my hopes of posting more. Oh well.

Wednesday and today included 1 hour long cross training sessions. I'm really beginning to like these Shred 415 workouts. 15 minutes with dumbbells and boot camp type exercises, 15 minutes on the treadmill with varying speeds and inclines, back to the strength/cardio exercises for 15 minutes and finished with 15 more minutes on the treadmill. They are more fun than I thought they would be and they haven't become routine yet. Granted, my body is all jelly afterwards and stairs are the invention of the anti-Christ, but there is no more extra blood glucose flowing through my veins unless my liver produces a bunch which its got to burn fat to do. So YAY?

Unfortunately, Wednesday also included track practice during the kids spring break. For a team of 81 kids, we had 11 show up and 4 out of 12 coaches. So, I ran relays with the kids. Which was dumb because my shoes have been bothering my right heel. To the point that I decided these Under Armor shoes are just not for me. Only 200 miles on them and every time I wear them for running, I end up with ice packs on my feet. So, I ordered some new shoes (going back to the Nike's that never gave me problems in the past) Wednesday night and they are supposedly in my city on their way to my house as I type this. If we weren't getting 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow I'd take them out for a test run.

Diet has been up and down. I did a great job keeping away from carbs Wednesday, yesterday not so much and today has been good. I know its a process of getting down to lower and lower amounts, but I'm not the most patient person in the world when it comes to making change stick. I'm far more patient with other people than I am with myself. I'm not sure why I can't follow the advice I give other people. It's good advice, but...impatient.

Sleep also has been up and down this week. Well, it was up at the start of the week and down the last few days. Good thing my goal is an average rather than a nightly thing. I have also had sporadic success with turning off the devices at 9:30 which has played greatly into my success and failure of going to sleep on time.

• Like 4

You're getting snow tomorrow?! Does spring ever come?  Good job getting the workouts in, and  being a great dad running the relays

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

WTF?!? I swear I responded to all three of you on my phone Saturday morning and yet I see no posts. :( 

Well, we did get snow, but it started much later than expected and it was only about 2 inches that was pretty much all melted by 10 AM on Sunday. I did get out on Sunday night for about a 3.5 mile run in the new shoes and my heel felt a lot better after the run as well as today than it had with the Under Armor shoes. Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit FTW! I'm not used to a shoe with so much cushion or drop though. They feel like they're trying to lean me forward and whether it's intentional with the design or not, I feel like they extend my stride more. Kinda felt it more in my hamstrings than I normally do. They might take me some getting used to, but I they do seem to fit the bill with helping the bursitis in the heel.

Week 1 update:

1. Exercise...a lot. 2 HIIT workouts, 2 running sessions, 1 basketball session, 3 walks. Check!
  2. Begin the march towards ketosis. Some days were good. Others were not. So, the march has started but it's more of a shuffle than a march. Average carb intake was 83 g/day.
  3. De-stress. Sleep more, stress less. Of 7 days, I only shut the devices off by 9:30 twice and my average amount of sleep for the week was 7 hours, 9 minutes. 
  4. Get my kids excited about exercise. I don't know about excited but the boys and I ran on Monday and my daughter has been walking the dog lately. Okay, I had nothing to do with the last one. The boy in the neighborhood that she likes just adopted a 2 year old husky and the two of them offer to walk the dogs to spend time together. But, I'm taking credit for it since she asked for permission and I granted it :P 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey !! You are doing so well! Thats a lot of exercise....! I need to follow your lead. 

Hope this week is just as good xx

That's kind of you to say. The exercise is going well, the rest of it is...meh. Exercise tends to be easier for me than the other stuff. For example, yesterday my carb count went over 100g ( two poor food choices exceeded my target goal for the whole day by themselves) and my sleep total last night was 6 hours 55 minutes and I didn't get off of device until a little after 10 PM. I did coach my son's track team last night, but I don't think I built up a lot of excitement from them as it was this foggy/rainy/misty/cold weather outside.

But, that's alright. I'm not after perfection and the higher exercise load has been beneficial for the blood sugar levels. So, while only really hitting 1 of my goals for the week, it still wasn't a bad week, nor was yesterday a bad day. Plus, "Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it" (that's the only thing I remember from watching Ann of Green Gables with my wife and daughter :P) So, today is a new day and I've managed to keep the carbs low thus far today.

• Like 5

giphy.gif

Ugh. On call weeks suck. But, I'm not on call anymore. 

What happened last week? Many track coaching items, youngest child's First Communion party planning items, dealing with in laws, database servers blowing up and this stuff:

1. Exercise...a lot. 2 HIIT workouts, 2 running sessions (6.3 miles and 3.9 miles), 2 track coaching sessions which included me running with the boys, 2 walks. Check!
  2. Begin the march towards ketosis. A little bit better than last week until Saturday. The wheels came off with the party. That's okay. It was the last First Communion for my kids, so I had cake and beer...and they were delicious! 
  3. De-stress. Sleep more, stress less. So, I managed to turn off the devices on time 3 days which is up 1 from the week before. My average sleep amount went up by 1 minute! WOO! Okay, so some days I got sleep, others I got very little. Yesterday I slept in which brought my average up. Again, on call week sucks. 
  4. Get my kids excited about exercise. Still a work in progress. I got a lot of eye rolls this week when I mentioned exercise. But, I did get all of them to go on a walk with the dog, their aunt and Grandma yesterday. Everyone seemed to have fun walking through the woods and the farm fields by my in-laws house. I know the dog did. She was very sleepy last night.

Now, I'm off to track practice again. How was it 70 degrees with the sun out yesterday and today its 51, windy and cloudy? I'll have to run with the kids to keep from freezing my butt out there. On Friday night I was running a timer for the 1600m races and I was about to start running with them. Standing there was just too cold.

• Like 4

Great week. Sounds like yo are doing what you can with giving your kids some fun exercise choices, and being a good example.  My son's job now entails an on call week, and  he was totally swamped with it

23 hours ago, Salinger said:

Wow so much exercise GREAT JOB!!!!x

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Great week. Sounds like yo are doing what you can with giving your kids some fun exercise choices, and being a good example.  My son's job now entails an on call week, and  he was totally swamped with it

21 hours ago, Xena said:

Great job surviving the on call week!

Thank you, thank you and thank you.

On call week is a cortisol inducing 7 day sprint. Even when it is quiet, you don't sleep very well because you're expecting you're phone to go off and you don't want to miss it. Why? Because if you don't acknowledge the alert within 15 minutes, it gets escalated to all of your team members until someone responds. Nobody wants to be the guys that woke up the whole team.

Yesterday and today have involved trying to limit the damage all that stress did. I've been eating really well, but the blood sugars have not come back down to the levels they normally do. Right now, I'm telling myself I've got to stay on the path to reduce all that inflammation in my body and then everything will be fine. I'll start freaking out next week if they still aren't more "normal".

Track practice was loads of fun. It's very hard to keep 6th grade boys on task. Especially when 2 of them are re-enacting episodes of the Swedish Chef from the Muppet show. I don't know what YouTube channel they were watching but they just kept acting them out all practice long. It's hard to keep them on task and focused when they're having harmless fun and deep down you just want to join in with them :P 

• Like 3