Dinner

• 8 oz steak
  • 1 cup mixed vegetables

Supper

• 11 eggwhite omelette w/ bell peppers

Bedtime

• 75 g protein powder

• Like 3

For the past week, whenever I wrote that I ate 10 oz of steak, or 8 oz of chicken, etc, I was posting the cooked weight of the meat that I was eating.  Because I cook my meat in batches and weigh it out in the cooked state at mealtime.  And at the start of the week I hadn't really thought about whether that was right or not with The Rock's typical diets.  If his diets said "8 oz chicken", then I aimed to stick 8 oz of cooked chicken breast on my plate.

After seeing the plates in the following interview, however, Iiiiiiii'm pretty sure that DJ's diets actually following the food industry standard of calling meat sizes by their pre-cooked raw weight.  None of the meat on the plates in this interview look as big as the amount of meat I've been eating.   Meat cooks down to about 75% of it's raw weight.  I worked in a steakhouse restaurant when I was young and I can say with fair certainty that the 10 ounces of cooked steak on my plates this past week, for example, would be listed as a "14 oz" steak on that restaruant menu.

I think that's what I'm seeing here in this interview.  Not 8 ounces of steak, for example in "Meal #5", but rather 8 ounces of raw steak that has cooked down to a 6 oz prepared steak.  Not 8 ounces of chicken, but rather 8 oz of raw chicken that's cooked down to a 6 oz cooked chicken on the plates.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hazard said:

I think that's what I'm seeing here in this interview.  Not 8 ounces of steak, for example in "Meal #5", but rather 8 ounces of raw steak that has cooked down to a 6 oz prepared steak.  Not 8 ounces of chicken, but rather 8 oz of raw chicken that's cooked down to a 6 oz cooked chicken on the plates.

Does that mean you've been over eating protein by 25% ? And does it follow that your muscles will grow by an extra 25% or is it "just" a calorie imbalance? I don't think I'll ever have this conundrum, but I'm intellectually interested in the consequences.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StillStar said:

Does that mean you've been over eating protein by 25%?

Yes, in the sense that I was eating more meat on my plate each meal than I think The Rock does.  But he still consumes more meals per day than I did.   The Rock's protein intake is somewhere in the vicinity of 500+g of protein per day.  Mine has been more in the realm of 250g - 350g, depending on which day we look at.

And does it follow that your muscles will grow by an extra 25%

I doubt it.  Though subjectively speaking, I do feel as though I'm recovering from my workouts faster.  And being able to work out more often, and with more volume per workout, might result in growing muscle faster.  It would be a reasonable expectation, at least with regard to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy - (i.e. Being able to store more fluid/glycogen in the muscles, making them appear more plump).

or is it "just" a calorie imbalance?

What do you mean by 'calorie imbalance'?

DAY 10

I kept my eating pretty on-point today with what The Rock eats.  The two major differences being that (1) I only had 4 of the "big" meals whereas DJ typically has 6 "big" meals, and (2) I'm roughly 75% of DJ's size, so I only ate 75% of his portions today to see how it would turn out for me.   I scanned it all into MyFitnessPal to total up the numbers.  My Calorie and Macro info for the day are at the bottom of the post.

Cardio

• 10 min. on bike
  • 48 min. on treadmill

Break-Fast

• 6 oz steak
  • 3.5 oz oatmeal
  • 3 eggwhites
  • 2 g fish oil

Training

• preacher curls with EZ bar  - 4x12
  • standing curls with EZ bar  - 4x12
  • DB curls  - 4x12
  • rope pushdown  - 4x12
  • rope overhead tricep extensions  - 4x12
  • dips  - 4 sets to fatigue
  • cable crunches  - 5x18
  • chinups rotating through normal grip, hammer grip, mixed grip  - sets to 50

Post Workout

• 45 g protein powder

Lunch

• 4.5 oz chicken breast
  • 3/4 cup vegetables
  • 1.5 cups rice

Second Lunch

• 4.5 oz chicken breast
  • 3/4 cup vegetables
  • 1.5 cups rice

Dinner

• 4.5 oz chicken breast
  • 3/4 cup vegetables
  • 9 oz potato

Supper

• 7.5 eggwhite omelette

Bedtime

• 22 g protein powder

2869 calories

349 g carbohydrates

46 g fats

263 g proteins

• Like 3

DAY 11

No food info this day.   My eating was all over the place.  Plenty of protein.  And plenty of anything/everything else too.  I Rocked my morning workout though, so at least most of that food will go to good use.

Cardio

• 65 min. on treadmill

Back Training

• horizontal rows -  5x fatigue
  • DB rows (up the rack) -  12/10/8/8
  • wide grip lat pulldowns -  4x fatigue
  • landmine rows -  4x10
  • close grip pulldowns -  3x12
  • cable rows -  3x12  (no rest dropsets)
  • rope lat pulldowns -  3x15
  • rope high rows -  3x15
  • DB shrugs -  4x12  (with 15 sec. hold on last rep of each set)

• Like 4

DAY 12

Cardio

• 17 min. on bike
  • 45 min. on treadmill

Breakfast

• 5 oz steak
  • 2 eggs & 3 oz ham omelette
  • 4 oz oatmeal
  • 2 g fishoil

Shoulder Training

• cable reverse flys -  5x15
  • DB overhead press (limit of 30 sec. rest between sets) -  4x20 
  • DB front raise, supersets of:
    • palms up -  4x10
    • hammer grip -  4x10
  • barbell OH press -  7x10 (with 15 sec. hold of last rep each set)
  • DB side laterals -  sets to fatigue (ran the rack up until < 8 reps, then ran the rack back down)

Lunch

• 6 oz chicken breast
  • 1 cup vegetables
  • 9 oz potato

Dinner

• Scrambled eggs, turkey, ham mix.   Not weighted.  I made a big shared batch for the family.  I ate plenty of it.
  • can of vanilla coke

Typing it out before I head to bed, it looks like I under-ate.  But I'm not hungry.  And as I said at the beginning, "I'm not going to force-feed myself if I'm not hungry."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hopefully that screw is easier to replace than the other part.

You aren't the first person to get held up by one bad screw.

I got a replacement screw.  What I can't figure out yet is how to get the broken screw out of the hole.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hazard said:

I got a replacement screw.  What I can't figure out yet is how to get the broken screw out of the hole.

Vice Grips around the exposed part of the screw to get a tight enough squeeze on it to be able to rotate the screw out of the hole?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Vice Grips around the exposed part of the screw to get a tight enough squeeze on it to be able to rotate the screw out of the hole?

Right answer!   About three hours late. ;).  A clamp and a vice wrench did it.  Then slowly working the hole to rethread it.  I got the treadmill put back together today.  

It's still got a stuttering problem though.  It's not the rollers or walking belt.  I'm going to try using the treadmill tomorrow as is, and see how it goes.  If the stuttering is intolerable, then I'll have to figure out how to open up the drive area and see if the pulley or drive belt is slipping.

• Like 3

DAY 14

The Rock usually takes one day off a week from exercise.  I chose Saturdays.  

My food today came out to 3052 calories.

302 g carbs

83 g fats

278 g proteins

• Like 3

DAY 15

Calories - 3,721

• Carbs - 396 g
  • Fats - 79 g
  • Proteins - 347 g

Treadmill - 60 min.

Chest Training

• Warmup of...
    • pushups   3x10
    • uneven pushups - 3x10/10
    • wide pushups - 3x10
  • standing cable flys -  3x20
  • dips -  pyramid, sets to fatigue
  • superset of...
    • hammer grip DB bench press - 3x20
    • DB flys - 3x20
    • DB pullovers - 3x20
  • Barbell bench press - pyramid, sets to fatigue, (10-second-rest strip sets with speed reps when descending pyramid)

• Like 2

DAY 19

I got my treadmill popped open finally, and found the drive belt is slipping at the motor.  The belt's worn and needs to be replaced.  I can't be sure that's the only problem left though.  Getting a replacement belt should be cheap.  Doing the work though, might be a major pain.  This treadmill seems to have been designed to be as aggravating as possible to make repairs on.  Anyway.  I've given up fighting the treadmill with morning runs until/unless I can fully fix it.  It's legit dangerous to use it as it is.  So I'm relying on my exercise bike for cardio right now.  The Missus is talking replacing it with an elliptical.  Something to think about.

Regardless of the cardio-equipment woes, I've been moving right along with my Challenge.  My last training update was on Sunday.  Since then, I worked out Monday and Tuesday.  I took Wednesday off.   Today's training was Arms, and a little bit of abs.

• Supersets of ...
    • EZ bar curls (3x20)
    • supinating DB curls (3x12)
    • low-cable curls (3x25)
  • Dips (pyramid to fatigue)
  • cable rope pressdowns (3x15)
  • laying barbell tricep extensions (2x20)
  • barbell wrist curls (2x30)
  • rope cable crunches (3x20)

Calories - 2,986

• carbs - 280g
  • fats - 68g
  • proteins - 306g

I've been noticing that my body sends me signals that it's had enough protein.  You know how we get cravings?  I've noticed I'm getting what I'm calling an "anti-craving."  Some days, like today, it hits a little higher.  But most days I've noticed that when I get to around 240-250 grams of protein consumption for the day, my body sends me a signal saying, "Okay, that's enough protein for today.  Knock it off and go have a cookie."

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StillStar said:

what do you do with all the yolks?

If I were still making eggwhite meals from whole eggs, I would dump the separated yolk down the kitchen sink drain.    Nowadays, however, I pay a little extra to buy cartons of liquid eggwhite

large_1b12f943-c266-47bc-a60f-c27b9a492e

• Like 2

Final update for this challenge

I spent the last week vacationing in Florida.  Lots of celebrations and eating out.   It was effectively a dirty bulk combined with a full rest week away from exercise.  I gained roughly 7 lbs in 7 days, :lol:.

Anyway.  Looking back at this challenge.

1.  Cardio like the Rock.  I was already doing more cardio than the Rock does daily.  So doing 45 minutes to an hour a day was no big deal.  That was actually cutting back on cardio for me.  My only frustration with it was my treadmill crapping out on me.  I don't really like relying on the exercise bike.  It makes my butt sore.  But I still got my Rock cardio in for this challenge either way.  This was the easy quest.

2.  Lift like the Rock.  This was a big increase in exercise volume.  I'm perfectly happy doing high volume on an exercise.  Doing it for multiple exercises every day, however, was a big change of pace compared to the 2-3 days per week of 3-5 exercises per session that I've typically done.  But I found I like doing it this way.  I enjoyed working out every day.  I enjoyed the greater variety of exercises.  And I enjoyed being able to give muscle groups more focus via the Rock's bodypart split style routine.  I'm going to do high volume bodypart split training for the next challenge too.

3.  Eat like the Rock.   I wasn't spot on with the Rock's carb choices, and I intentionally lowered his calories proportional to my body's size .  But I felt both the exercise recovery advantages, and the anti-hunger satiety, of a very high protein diet.  I'm going to aim to keep my protein high going forward.

Thanks for reading.  I'll post a link to my next challenge once I've made it.

• Like 4

My next challenge is posted.  Here's the link.  Follow along to watch me do one of my ridiculously fast Cut diets: