• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guzzi

Guzzi - getting a life, intermittently

What’s new pussycat?  Well, nothing really. I’m basically carrying on with my goals from the previous challenge but I’m adding in intermittent fasting.  Not much of an intro, but it’s all I got right now coz I’m in a rush. 

1. Get organised - start following the damn schedule you muppet!!!

2. Get moving - going to keep a step target and add in some lifting goals (yaaaaaay!)

3. Get to bed - same as last time, bonus points on offer again

4. Get fast - two full 24hr fasts each week to help me reach my weight loss goals. 

• Like 8

These were my goals from the last challenge and I'm just going to keep them going.  I plan on travelling home for two weeks during this challenge which will throw everything off course a little, so if I can just keep these good habits going that will be enough for now.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, Guzzi said:

Goal 1 - Get Organised

f5ccb4c51a7b4c2ff6e476fefa0ffd95.gif

I really feel that I need some kind of structure to my days in order to get off my butt and actually achieve anything.  I need to draw up a schedule for my week, then actually keep to it. This will actually be quite difficult as all timings will be fairly arbitrary so it’s kinda difficult to justify saying “No, I can’t do that just now because I have to [insert activity here]” when really there’s no pressing need to actually do it right there and then.  

I will allow for some rescheduling to make it adaptable, but the goal is to only reschedule as a conscious choice, not to simply skip something with the intention of “Oh, I’ll just do it later”. 

Grading

A = 91-100%

B = 81 - 90%

C = 71 - 80%

D = 61 - 70%

Fail = 60% or less

Goal 2 - Get Moving

423c0d4c87a689c148d54d81164c6af8.gif

When I was in hospital after my bike smash, the physiotherapist told me that a general rule of thumb is that you need 3 days of active recovery to compensate for each day a patient is off their feet through illness or accident.  Well, my final push to come off the opiates  laid me up for at least 2 months and my mobility has seriously suffered as a result!  I’ve found that I can’t manage two hours at line dancin even though it’s paced for 70yo ladies with hip replacements. :sorrow: 

My aim with this goal is to get active again, which I’m hoping will be the key to regaining my motivation.  I also have no friends here (sob!) because I’ve been so ill since moving, and I think that getting out and meeting people will be key to Getting a Life.  There are LOADS of organised exercise classes at the leisure centre so I want to sign up to a few and start getting out of the house.  This might need to be something that builds over time as I don’t know how much I’m able to do right now, it’s kinda suck-it-and-see.  I’m also going to aim for 50,000 steps over the course of each week. 

Grading (Steps)

My new goal will be:

A = 90,000+ per week

B = 80,000+

C = 70,000+

D = 60,000+

Grading (Exercise)

I want to get two strength training (ie. lifting) sessions per week.  All the other classes are kinda supplemental.  I'm not about to stop doing them but they don't need to feature in the challenge.

Goal 3 - Get to Bed

bc3644d3ebad40de340b94a115a4025a.gif

This has been soooooo freaking beneficial in the past!  The goal is simple - be in bed with lights out by 10:30pm.  My sleep is slowly improving and I know that there are things that can help.  Meditation, relaxation and hypnosis have really worked for me in the past but I’ve started using them more as tools for when I can’t get to sleep rather than as tools to help me prepare for sleep.  It is known that your sleep quality is best in the early part of the night so to take advantage of this I want to actually be going to sleep around 10:30 rather than simply climbing into bed at that time as it can take me a good half hour or more to fall asleep.  Ideally any relaxation/ meditation/ hypnosis should be done and dusted by 10:30.  I’m going to grade this by how many minutes (total per week) I am late to bed.  I’m being very struck with my grading here because I feel this is really important although my bedtime for Tuesday will be 10:45pm as I don't finish line dancing until 10pm.

Grading

A =   0 - 15 minutes

B =  16- 30 minutes 

C = 31 - 45 minutes

D = 46 - 60 minutes

Bonus Points (Ding, Ding, ding!!!)

Every night I complete a relaxation session before 10:30 earns 10 bonus points, and every morning I’m out of bed by 7am earns 10 bonus points. If I can achieve 300 bonus points over the challenge (starting today) then I get to treat myself.  Maybe a massage or a facial, something that will make me feel better about myself. 

I've tweaked those a little to reflect changes that I made during the last challenge

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Thank you Tank!

2 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Following!

Cool!  I warn you though, it will not be an exciting challenge, lol!

30 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Here.

Cheers Sloth!

6 minutes ago, JessFit said:

I admire your ability to fast for a whole day. I don't have that willpower. 

I don't think it's so much willpower as psychology..... I actually find that one I've decided to fast it's fairly easy to do because I just have to make it through one day.   I think I would struggle more with 16:8 because then I would be restricting myself every, single, day and that would wear me down.  When I first tried 5:2 I would eat 600 Kcal over the course of the day (the amount you can eat but still be technically fasting) but I found that torture!  It was so much easier to go completely without food (although coffee is a must!) than to try and eat just a little.  By fasting completely for 2 days a week I can drop 4,000 Kcal a week from my food intake whilst still eating normally the rest of the time and hopefully still have plenty of fuel for my workouts.  

• Like 4

Monday update. 

1. Get organised

Im counting Easter Monday as holiday so no studying (even though I really needed to get some done). 

2. Get moving 

Steps - 11,899

Classes - Synergy and yoga

3. Get to bed

I got to bed on time and was going to do a meditation but Colin gave me a shoulder massage instead and I totally flaked our so it worked just as well.  I didn’t wake up until 7:30 so no bonus points :( 

Minutes late - 0

Bonus points - 0

4. Get fast

Fast planned for Wednesday and Sunday. 

• Like 7

Following along too! I'm super intrigued by IF but am still in the learning about it phase (and probably will be for a long time, since we're hoping to have another baby soon).

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 4:39 AM, Guzzi said:

What’s new pussycat?

I did this at the gym once. 10 What's New, Pussycats and an It's Not Unusual. It was great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Machete said:

I did this at the gym once. 10 What's New, Pussycats and an It's Not Unusual. It was great.

This just made my day! :D 

• Haha 1

Whoops!  I never saw these posts! :redface-new:

On 4/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, doctorake said:

Following. IF is great

Thank you, good to have you along! 

On 4/23/2019 at 5:44 PM, kcaleece said:

Following along too! I'm super intrigued by IF but am still in the learning about it phase (and probably will be for a long time, since we're hoping to have another baby soon).

I find it really works, I’m not in the right headspace to eat at a constant deficit right now, and I’m not convinced that I would ever bother trying after experimenting with IF.  

There’s definitely a psychological element to it.  Although you do get hungry at mealtimes I find that I’m not hungry at other times of the day, and not even as hungry as I can be at times when I’m just late making dinner or something.  I have found that my concentration isn’t as good on fasting days so I wouldn’t want to do it on a day where I was driving a lot, or performing open heart surgery or something... :P 

Tuesday Update

It was a beautiful day yesterday, but very, very windy!  Colin and I walked up to the Gym (Shetland Weight Training Club) in our village where we have a membership and did a short workout each.  This is an actual club rather than a commercial gym, there are no staff and decisions are made by a committee of members.  I can’t honestly say that my workout was anything to write home about, but it got me out of breath and fairly tired, that’s good enough for me!  

5 rounds of:

10x 12kg American swings

10x 7.5kg back squat (just trying to improve the movement pattern for now)

5x assisted pull-ups

5x 30kg deadlift. 

I made myself a wrap with sweet potato pakora (spiced with cumin, ground coriander, garam masala and chilli powder), baby spinach, onion, tomato, red pepper, jalapeños, and chilli mayonnaise.  Although not a challenge goal I am trying to eat (slightly) less meat and (lots) more veg.  The only downside to this is that my system isn’t quite used to having so much fibre. :unsure:  Hopefully next challenge I will be able to work on this in a more structured way (the goal that is, not the effects of eating more fibre!) :D 

We we got the grass cut for the first time this year on Monday but the recycling centre was closed with it being Easter so we took the cuttings there yesterday instead.  We couldn’t get parked near the skip for garden waste and Colin opted to just wait until some of the other vehicles had left but I had other ideas and basically got several bonus “farmers walks” into my day by carrying a dozen bags of clippings two at a time through the warehouse to the skip. :D 

I also got a yoga session in the evening but over-stretched something in my groin (probably the adductor) and found it difficult to walk afterwards. This put paid to my dancing although I did stick it out for a little while in the hope that it would ease off, it didn’t - it got worse.  I was really worried that I’d actually torn something but thankfully it was completely fine this morning, although I skipped my aerobics class today just to be safe. 

1. Get organised 

I didn’t get any studying done because we went to the gym in the morning then took the grass cuttings to the dump after lunch, evening was yoga then dancing. 

2. Get moving

Walked to gym and back

Workout at gym

Yoga

Half-hearted attempt at dancing. 

Steps - 11,366

Total - 23,265

3. Get to bed

Went to bed at 10:15 but again no meditation, mostly because Colin came to bed at the same time and I feel that it would be unfair to inflict it upon him.  Sleep was ok but I was still tired this morning. I did however wake up before 7am so I score my first bonus points of the week!

4. Get fast

Doing this today (Wednesday) and I’ve had nothing but tea and coffee all day. 

• Like 4

Wednesday update

This was a rest day due to the groin pain on Tuesday night.  We did get for a walk because it was such a lovely day but I basically did bugger-all all day apart from studying (which I struggled with because I was fasting so my concentration was off). 

1. Get organised. 

I did my studying, not at the time it said on my schedule though.... :unsure:

2. Get moving

Nope!  Only got 7,940 steps for the day and no exercise.  That’s ok though. 

Steps - 7,940. 

Total - 31,205

3. Get to bed

Yes!  Bed at 10:15 with a meditation and up at 6am, woohoo!  

Minutes late - 0. 

Total late - 0. 

Bonus points - 20

Total points - 30

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fitbyforty said:

I'm seriously jelly of your gym situation!!! Good luck on your challenge :)

Haha! Thank you!  There is a downside to this gym though....  Everyone else who uses it is built like a brick sh*t-house!  There are members who compete at national and European level for both powerlifting and strongman (and strongwoman) competitions.  

And then there’s puny little me, lol! :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Haha! Thank you!  There is a downside to this gym though....  Everyone else who uses it is built like a brick sh*t-house!  There are members who compete at national and European level for both powerlifting and strongman (and strongwoman) competitions.  

And then there’s puny little me, lol! :D 

That's awesome that you get to train with them. Nobody's comparing you to them except you. I bet they are encouraged to see you working out and working to get stronger.

• Like 1

Thursday update

1. Get organised 

Possible, I can’t remember now. 

2. Get moving

I missed my circuits class because I got the start time wrong.  I decided to use it as a rest day to recharge before my session with The Dude. 

Steps - 6,170

Total - 37,375

3. Get to bed

Definitely got to bed on time and did a meditation, but was exhausted and didn’t wake up until around 7:20am.  I then slept for another 2hrs in the afternoon too! :o 

Minutes late - 0

Bonus points - 10

Total points - 40

4. Get fast

next fast planned for Sunday. 

Friday update

I had to cancel my session with The Dude because I’d promised my neighbour I would babysit for her to let her go out with a friend and at the last minute she decided that they were going out last night.  I could hardly say no because I’m going home to visit family for 10 days on Monday so she won’t get a chance for a while.  I did get out for a walk but it basically means that I’ve missed exercising on Wed, Thurs and Fri. :( 

1. Get organised 

I got a few hours studying done but not the other stuff I should have done. 

2. Get moving

Steps - 10,050

Total - 47,425

3. Get to bed 

The girls I was looking after don’t go to bed until 10pm (despite the fact that the youngest is only 4 yo!) so I was about 5 minutes late to bed. I did do a meditation though and got up at 6:30.  Unfortunately my neighbour didn’t come home like she said she would and is still not home at 10:30am so I’m stuck here until she gets home. Grrrr!  The girls are great but we have Colin’s kids this weekend ourselves and had plans for today. 

Minutes late - 5

Bonus points - 10

Total points - 50

• Like 3

Am I wrong in thinking it might be time to rethink boundaries with that neighbor? Or is this a neighbor you've described in the past as someone who's children you take care of because you are concerned she isn't taking care of them? I have a vague memory of someone describing a situation like that.

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Am I wrong in thinking it might be time to rethink boundaries with that neighbor?

Ach, I’m not that fussed.  I try not to get annoyed by decisions people make whilst drunk, it’s usually not their finest decision-making hour, lol!  :D 

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Or is this a neighbor you've described in the past as someone who's children you take care of because you are concerned she isn't taking care of them? I have a vague memory of someone describing a situation like that.

No, that is a different neighbour. :(  She seems to have told the kids not to come round here anymore so I don’t see the kids so often these days.  I usually still try to feed them when I do see them though (one of the kids once told me she bites her hand when she feels hungry because that’s a bit like eating something) but I think she’s old enough now to get food for herself in the house now. :unsure:

Saturday update

We had our line dance “doo” last night which would have gone on until about midnight but I’m still taking antidepressants which make me very drowsy about an hour after I take them and I automatically took them at 9:30pm when my alarm went off instead of taking them at the end of the night.  I only realised when I started to get sleepy by which point it was too late to do anything other than go home and go to bed, so I actually made it to bed by 10:45pm. 

Steps - 10,063

Total - 57,488

Minutes late - 15

Total late - 20

Bonus points - 10

Total points - 60

Today (Sunday) was going to be a fast day but I wasn’t really thinking about the fact that we have the kids today and I don’t really want to fast in front of them, just because there is already an issue with their mum about us trying to educate the kids about food/calories and encourage healthy eating.  She is of the opinion that they don’t need to worry about their weight because they are still growing, unfortunately they are really quite overweight but what can you do? 

We went for a walk to have a picnic for lunch and it really is a beautiful day, only 10°C but for once it’s not blowing a gale and actually felt warm!  There are now lots of bumblebees appearing, which are one of my favourite animals on the planet(!) and I saw a wren for the first time.  Even though they are a common bird, I’ve never seen one before.  The birds here are quite different species from what I’m used to seeing so it makes it interesting.  

I still I’ll have to pack for leaving tomorrow.  The boat leaves at 5:30pm and gets to Aberdeen at 7am, then I have a ~4hr drive to get to Fort William.  This is actually quite a big deal, I’ve only been back driving for 6-7 months and usually only for 15-20 minute journeys.  A 4hr drive will be a real test.  I’ve also booked in a few sessions with The Sadist I mean Norma (my old trainer) whilst I’m home so that should be fun! 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 9:40 AM, Guzzi said:

Today (Sunday) was going to be a fast day but I wasn’t really thinking about the fact that we have the kids today and I don’t really want to fast in front of them, just because there is already an issue with their mum about us trying to educate the kids about food/calories and encourage healthy eating.  She is of the opinion that they don’t need to worry about their weight because they are still growing, unfortunately they are really quite overweight but what can you do? 

My aunt is like that with my cousins, but they're seriously obese. Her pediatrician told her that and she got a new pediatrician rather than listen to him. It is so frustrating. She gets angry with me for watching what I eat at family holidays, but everything they make is so unhealthy. "Growing" doesn't mean cake for dinner! ugh. 

1 hour ago, JessFit said:

My aunt is like that with my cousins, but they're seriously obese. Her pediatrician told her that and she got a new pediatrician rather than listen to him. It is so frustrating. She gets angry with me for watching what I eat at family holidays, but everything they make is so unhealthy. "Growing" doesn't mean cake for dinner! ugh. 

It’s a little frustrating for Colin because he wants to limit the amount of sugar/sweets/crap they eat but he’s swimming against the tide as literally everyone else in their family thinks that there’s no need.  Their mum is concerned that talking about calories or pointing out how many calories are in certain foods will give them hang-ups about food or their weight, and you can totally see her point.  Unfortunately Girl Child is turning 10 soon but she’s already wearing clothes for a 13-14yo, and she’s not particularly tall or anything.  She’s also quite aware of being overweight and it is affecting her already.  It’s a difficult situation. :(