• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Silent Falcon

Silent Falcon's First Challenge

Hello, future friends!

I'm a 19 yo female doing college (elementary education). I'm living at home, so now is the perfect time to pick up healthy 'adult' habits before I have to do them on my own. I enjoy yarn crafts, fantasy novels, and dancing. Here are my first goals:

1) Do the beginner bodyweight workout 3x a week, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

2) No candy for snacks. I love chocolate, so a couple of times a week I might eat some as 'desert' after a meal, but I'll plan this ahead of time- it won't be impulsive.

3) Every morning, plan out the day. I like Cal Newport's method, as seen in Deep Work. This challenge is about making it a habit.

• Like 3

Welcome to the rebellion!

Chocolate really is the best sweet snack if you need one. Especially dark chocolate. 

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Welcome to the rebellion!

Chocolate really is the best sweet snack if you need one. Especially dark chocolate. 

Thanks! I love dark chocolate- it's my favorite! Especially when it's got mint in it... yum.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, squeakyvalkyrie said:

Welcome to the rebellion! I love the beginner bodyweight workout. 

giphy.gif

Thank you! I'm actually finding that I'm enjoying it too, which comes as a nice surprise. 

• Like 1

I like your challenge goals!  It's a smart move to get a handle on your health at a young age, so great job on that.  I have a son that's graduating high school in a month so and I'm hoping to set a better example for him going forward. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

Update:

I've had a couple of problems I didn't plan for. My little sister loves to bake, and she often wants taste-testers for her newest creations. Cupcakes aren't 'candy', which is what I said in my quest, but they aren't healthy either. On Monday I had no plan, so I ate one. My new plan is to wait until dinner to eat sweet treats, and eat them as desert. 

Secondly, yesterday (Tuesday) was a bad day, so I didn't even attempt the bodyweight workout. So now I'm contemplating how to resolve this. I think I'm just going to skip Tuesday's workout, and work really hard on Thursday, unless anyone has a better idea. 

These setbacks are kind of discouraging in the short term, but I know that being forced to confront these obstacles early will boost my long term success. Looking forward to the days ahead, as I continue to transform into the person I really want to be.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silent Falcon said:

Update:

I've had a couple of problems I didn't plan for. My little sister loves to bake, and she often wants taste-testers for her newest creations. Cupcakes aren't 'candy', which is what I said in my quest, but they aren't healthy either. On Monday I had no plan, so I ate one. My new plan is to wait until dinner to eat sweet treats, and eat them as desert. 

Secondly, yesterday (Tuesday) was a bad day, so I didn't even attempt the bodyweight workout. So now I'm contemplating how to resolve this. I think I'm just going to skip Tuesday's workout, and work really hard on Thursday, unless anyone has a better idea. 

These setbacks are kind of discouraging in the short term, but I know that being forced to confront these obstacles early will boost my long term success. Looking forward to the days ahead, as I continue to transform into the person I really want to be.

I'm sorry you're struggling, but it's just a couple days and you can do better today. Something that helps me is to not throw away one day because of one unhealthy decision.  Also, maybe working out in the mornings would work better.  If you get it done before your day starts, nothing comes up to interfere.  I hope you have a better day today. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silent Falcon said:

Update:

Having played this game, this sounds like something I would say as a justification in the past. Monday is fair game. However, you specified chocolate as the dessert of choice. If limiting yourself to a single dessert type is going to be unfeasible, then change the parameters of the challenge. Also, (and this hurts my extra sweet soul), maybe eat half the cupcake and split it with someone else?

Don't go extra hard on Thursday, just go. Nobody makes every workout every time. You can try going always move your week to the right by a day, so wed, fri, sun, or wed, thurs, sat. or just do thurs and sat. A program is not gospel, you shall not be smote should you lose a day.

This is more a mental thing than anything else, but change the vocabulary. It's less of a setback and more of a lesson learned. So you take these lessons and apply this new found knowledge to the next step. You've got this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Having played this game, this sounds like something I would say as a justification in the past. Monday is fair game. However, you specified chocolate as the dessert of choice. If limiting yourself to a single dessert type is going to be unfeasible, then change the parameters of the challenge. Also, (and this hurts my extra sweet soul), maybe eat half the cupcake and split it with someone else?

Don't go extra hard on Thursday, just go. Nobody makes every workout every time. You can try going always move your week to the right by a day, so wed, fri, sun, or wed, thurs, sat. or just do thurs and sat. A program is not gospel, you shall not be smote should you lose a day.

This is more a mental thing than anything else, but change the vocabulary. It's less of a setback and more of a lesson learned. So you take these lessons and apply this new found knowledge to the next step. You've got this.

Thank you for your advice. I think you are right on all points. With this in mind, my new plan is to politely turn down treats other than chocolate, just work out on Thursday and keep going from there, and take these lessons I've learned and apply them going forward. Thank you for your help. :)

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, Grumble said:

Also, (and this hurts my extra sweet soul), maybe eat half the cupcake and split it with someone else?

I know, right? As if every snack comes in pre-determined portions that absolutely have to be... wait, who am I kidding haha! Love your advice on all points.

• Like 1

It's been a few days since I've had time to write an update, so here's another one.

It's been a good week. I did the workouts on Thursday and Saturday. Crazy sore now, but it'll fade. 

Overall, it's been a good first week. :)

• Like 2

The last couple of days have been good. I've done the workouts, I've stuck to the eating, I've made my daily plans. :) So far, so good.

One concern I have with the workouts is that I'm always gasping for breath before I begin to reach the end of my physical strength. Am I going through the exercises too quickly? Giving up too easily? I figured this would get better with time, but I'm looking at my workout data and I see the same note on each entry: out of breath. Am I doing something wrong, or will this get better with time?

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:30 PM, Silent Falcon said:

The last couple of days have been good. I've done the workouts, I've stuck to the eating, I've made my daily plans. :) So far, so good.

One concern I have with the workouts is that I'm always gasping for breath before I begin to reach the end of my physical strength. Am I going through the exercises too quickly? Giving up too easily? I figured this would get better with time, but I'm looking at my workout data and I see the same note on each entry: out of breath. Am I doing something wrong, or will this get better with time?

I've only just started on this journey as well, but I'm hoping I'll get less out of breath the longer I stick with it. Are you doing any cardio in between the BW workout? Maybe go for a walk or swim to start building up your lung capacity and heart health...