• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Snowkc Seeks Stability

I'm here! 

Never did a wrap up of the previous challenge, but short version: it generally went fine after I re-calibrated goals. I'm continuing on the post-calibration themes for this challenge, which is dial in on what's necessary to help balance the rest. So, goals:

1. Lift 3x per week. I'm now doing Madcow, and I'm liking it! I haven't gotten back to my previous max lifts, but I'm liking the format. It's a lot easier to contemplate hitting a new max of 1x3 every week than hitting a new max of 5x5 of 3x5 every workout.  

2. Sleep 7 hours per night at least 6 days per week. I've been slipping on this and the negative effects are pretty obvious to me, especially on my lifts, but also on my mental state and productivity. 

3. Eat the protein! Minimum 100g, but shoot for 150 (likely land in the middle). I've been feeling better since really focusing on this. It's helped the rest of the nutrition stuff fall into place a little better.

4. Minimum 5 hours billed while physically at the office.  (This really should be higher, but it's a good base line.) I've been getting kind of fried at work, so I have found myself working a lot at home during nights/weekends which has its pros and cons, but I'd like to do better about being more efficient while my butt is in my chair at work. 

5. 1 hike per week. I hope to do more of this, but at least one per week now that the snow has melted. 

Sorry I have nothing terribly clever here... (see point 4). Happy challenge everyone! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JessFit said:

Your goals look great! What is the Madcow program?

Thanks!  The internet tells me that there are a few variations of the program, but this is the one I'm following: https://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5/#gref  I started with StrongLifts 5x5 for several months, but burned out on it during the last challenge. I decided it was time for an intermediate program.  I think Madcow is a fairly popular intermediate program to follow StrongLifts (and it's what is recommended by the StrongLifts website), so I went with it.  So far so good! 

Spreadsheet Source (so you don't have to sign up for Medhi's annoying emails): https://liftvault.com/programs/strength/madcow-5x5-spreadsheet/ 

Edited by snowkc
Added Spreadsheet Source

3 minutes ago, snowkc said:

Thanks!  The internet tells me that there are a few variations of the program, but this is the one I'm following: https://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5/#gref  I started with StrongLifts 5x5 for several months, but burned out on it during the last challenge. I decided it was time for an intermediate program.  I think Madcow is a fairly popular intermediate program to follow StrongLifts (and it's what is recommended by the StrongLifts website), so I went with it.  So far so good! 

Spreadsheet Source (so you don't have to sign up for Medhi's annoying emails): https://liftvault.com/programs/strength/madcow-5x5-spreadsheet/ 

Medhi helped popularize a great program, too bad he's a giant tool otherwise.

It's a good program. My only complaints is it doesn't account for RPE, but I guess that's why it's an intermediate program. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Medhi helped popularize a great program, too bad he's a giant tool otherwise.

:lol: It's true. I really liked StrongLifts and so far MadCow is going well. The StrongLifts app was awesome and the website is (mostly) helpful, with only a moderate amount of toolery.  But I could not handle the emails.  Unsubscribed immediately.

14 minutes ago, Grumble said:

My only complaints is it doesn't account for RPE, but I guess that's why it's an intermediate program. 

I could definitely see this as an issue.  But I'm still feeling like a beginner.  I'm not totally sure when to go for it/don't be afraid of the weight vs. don't push it.  I'm sure there are some subtleties missed here, but I'm still new enough that progress is probably going to happen as long as I keep doing the thing and not injuring myself.  I am curious about other intermediate options and may play around with something else after I run this one once or twice. Any favorites?

16 minutes ago, snowkc said:

:lol: It's true. I really liked StrongLifts and so far MadCow is going well. The StrongLifts app was awesome and the website is (mostly) helpful, with only a moderate amount of toolery.  But I could not handle the emails.  Unsubscribed immediately.

Unsubscribed Sliding GIF - Unsubscribed Sliding GIFs

16 minutes ago, snowkc said:

I could definitely see this as an issue.  But I'm still feeling like a beginner.  I'm not totally sure when to go for it/don't be afraid of the weight vs. don't push it.  I'm sure there are some subtleties missed here, but I'm still new enough that progress is probably going to happen as long as I keep doing the thing and not injuring myself.  I am curious about other intermediate options and may play around with something else after I run this one once or twice. Any favorites?

Powerlifting? Oly? Bodybuilding? General stronkness?

I should have taken a screen shot of all the routines I kept saving on my app before I got overwhelmed and wiped them all out.

8 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Powerlifting? Oly? Bodybuilding? General stronkness?

I should have taken a screen shot of all the routines I kept saving on my app before I got overwhelmed and wiped them all out.

I'd say probably powerlifting and general stronkness.  I'm a fan of Oly too, but am doing home gym for now, so uncomfortable with too much Oly. Maybe future me will get back to that.  I'm also uncertain on bodybuilding. Honest question--Is there a functional purpose to bodybuilding that can't be achieved through training for general strength? 

And I appreciate that you got overwhelmed too. It's not just me then...

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

My only complaints is it doesn't account for RPE, but I guess that's why it's an intermediate program. 

Not sure what you're getting at here... RPE can be used by any class of lifter from novice to advanced. There are plenty of good intermediate RPE based programs (Reactive Training Systems have a good one, so do the fellas at Barbell Medicine).

Also... it's a linear progression program which actually makes it a novice program... the very definition of intermediate is that linear progression doesn't work any more and something needs to be changed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, snowkc said:

Honest question--Is there a functional purpose to bodybuilding that can't be achieved through training for general strength?

All good powerlifting programs will have a hypertrophy component - hypertrophy is the dominant indicator of good long term progress. Also worth noting that hypertrophy is not limited to doing sets of 8-15... pretty much any rep range will work as long as there is eough stress to force an adaptation. Even in advanced lifters, hypertrophy can be achieved using loads from 30% 1RM to 100% 1RM as long as enough sets are taken to near failure.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blocky said:
1 hour ago, snowkc said:

Honest question--Is there a functional purpose to bodybuilding that can't be achieved through training for general strength?

All good powerlifting programs will have a hypertrophy component - hypertrophy is the dominant indicator of good long term progress. Also worth noting that hypertrophy is not limited to doing sets of 8-15... pretty much any rep range will work as long as there is eough stress to force an adaptation. Even in advanced lifters, hypertrophy can be achieved using loads from 30% 1RM to 100% 1RM as long as enough sets are taken to near failure.

So... you can get all the functional benefits of a bodybuilding program from training for strength (as opposed to focusing on muscle size) as long as there's a hypertrophy component?  

4 minutes ago, snowkc said:

So... you can get all the functional benefits of a bodybuilding program from training for strength (as opposed to focusing on muscle size) as long as there's a hypertrophy component?  

Mostly... the only thing I've found with powerlifting specific programs is the lack of rowing based movements and direct bicep work. These are pretty easy things to add on top though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blocky said:

Not sure what you're getting at here... RPE can be used by any class of lifter from novice to advanced. There are plenty of good intermediate RPE based programs (Reactive Training Systems have a good one, so do the fellas at Barbell Medicine).

No, my brain said periodization, but my fingers typed rpe. I may need to go to bed early. 

3 hours ago, Blocky said:

Also... it's a linear progression program which actually makes it a novice program... the very definition of intermediate is that linear progression doesn't work any more and something needs to be changed.

I will go to sleep and try to bring better advice when I'm not exhausted and busy. My apologies @snowkc

10 minutes ago, Grumble said:

My apologies @snowkc

No apologies necessary! I understand exhaustion! And I'm asking for free advice! Take care of you!

• Like 1

Following this.

18 hours ago, snowkc said:

I'm now doing Madcow

Let me know how the MadCow works compared to the StrongLifts. I'm about to start the SL (again) but don't think I'll be doing it for more than 1-2 months and a good next step would be great.

18 hours ago, snowkc said:

Eat the protein!

How are you planning on getting your protein each day?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blocky said:

Mostly... the only thing I've found with powerlifting specific programs is the lack of rowing based movements and direct bicep work. These are pretty easy things to add on top though.

I always add rows, I really notice a difference from them! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crashy said:

Let me know how the MadCow works compared to the StrongLifts.

So far so good! I reached a point on StrongLifts that I probably could have continued a little longer with it by continuing to decrease the rep ranges, but I found that I started to dread the workouts because they were so hard and I was having trouble recovering.  So, that seemed counter productive.  So far, Madcow seems more manageable, but we'll see as the weight continues to go up. I'll hit my previous maxes next week.

12 hours ago, crashy said:

How are you planning on getting your protein each day?

I've learned that I cannot hit protein goals without (1) eating meat at least 2x per day and (2) having a protein shake or bar, at least not while I'm trying to eat at or below maintenance.  I also have to limit carbs.  Focusing on hitting my protein goals without thinking too much about limiting carbs has made me less cranky about it. (Rather than "I'm not allowed to eat bread," it's "If you eat this entire loaf of bread, you're either not going to hit your protein or you're going to go way over your calories. Maybe have one small slice and extra veggies instead.")  The mind games we play...

7 hours ago, JessFit said:
22 hours ago, Blocky said:

I always add rows, I really notice a difference from them! 

Madcow still calls for Pendlay Rows, so I'm still doing those. I would definitely want to keep some kind of row/upper back work, since I think that's pretty key to mitigating the desk job damage. I could also see adding in some hip thrusts, for the same reason--mitigating desk job damage.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, snowkc said:

So far so good! I reached a point on StrongLifts that I probably could have continued a little longer with it by continuing to decrease the rep ranges, but I found that I started to dread the workouts because they were so hard and I was having trouble recovering.  So, that seemed counter productive.  So far, Madcow seems more manageable, but we'll see as the weight continues to go up. I'll hit my previous maxes next week.

That's exactly the point of something like Madcow, even if you can still increase weight, having trouble recovering in time for the next workout means it's time to switch it out for a new program. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, snowkc said:

I could also see adding in some hip thrusts, for the same reason--mitigating desk job damage.

Not to build the booty, just for mitigating desk job damage. Suuuuuuuuure

• Haha 4

On 4/22/2019 at 5:09 PM, snowkc said:

I am curious about other intermediate options and may play around with something else after I run this one once or twice. Any favorites?

As a fellow SL 5x5 alum, and person hesitant to do a lot of high intensity singles/doubles due to lack of a spotter or safety mechanisms in my home gym, I wanted a program with a lot of oomph to it, but a little less super high-intensity work. I went with, and have more or less stuck with, Juggernaut. It's marketed as a "sport performance" program, not PL, but a lot of folks use it as a PL program anyway. It has all the big lifts; it has rows and direct bicep work; it has periodization; it has RPE; it has some, but not a ton, of accessory work at higher rep ranges (up to 15). It has 4-week-long waves in ranges that start at 10 reps and move up to 3 reps.

Or for the more high-intensity, lower volume inclined, 5/3/1 is a similar program that stays more squarely in the lower rep ranges, and also has rows and most of that other stuff, and some folx here have had some success with it. It also lays out a number of different options for accessories, making it pretty customizable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

That's exactly the point of something like Madcow, even if you can still increase weight, having trouble recovering in time for the next workout means it's time to switch it out for a new program. 

Good! I felt a little like I was wimping out when I probably could have kept going for a while.

8 minutes ago, JessFit said:

Not to build the booty, just for mitigating desk job damage. Suuuuuuuuure

Lol ... can it be both? 

8 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

8 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

5/3/1 

Thank you @Deckard Gainz! I will be reading up on these...

Week 1 Recap!

1. Lift 3x per week. Done! Not much to report.   

2. Sleep 7 hours per night at least 6 days per week. Hmm... Not quite. I got 5 days. Because Endgame. I'm not sorry, it was totally worth it.

3. Eat the protein! Not bad. I missed the goal one day. I didn't track 2 days, but I'm pretty sure I got plenty of protein both of those days. 

4. Minimum 5 hours billed while physically at the office.  Done!  This has been a helpful goal. On days with meetings,  it's good to have this minimum to keep me focused.  

5. 1 hike per week. I did 2 hikes! And discovered a new off-leash dog park at the top of one of them! Winning!

• Like 5