• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Snowkc Seeks Stability

Recommended Posts

Looking good all around - what strategies are you taking to ensure more of your office time is spent actually working? Asking for a friend who's trying to make tweaks to the same effect, maybe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Looking good all around - what strategies are you taking to ensure more of your office time is spent actually working? Asking for a friend who's trying to make tweaks to the same effect, maybe.

 

Asking the same thing, but for myself. :P  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 3:09 PM, scalyfreak said:
On 5/1/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Looking good all around - what strategies are you taking to ensure more of your office time is spent actually working? Asking for a friend who's trying to make tweaks to the same effect, maybe.

 

Asking the same thing, but for myself. :P  

 

Well, this week was a little less good. But one thing I'm trying to do is just get going quickly when I get in. That's normally when I do most of my procrastinating. I always hear that you should "eat the frog" and do the worst thing first, but I find that I will just sit there thinking "I don't waaannnnaaa...." and not get started. I feel like I need a warm up.  So, I try to do something that's relatively easy, but still billable and productive. Once that's done, I feel like I can actually sit down to something that requires a little more thought/effort.  I'm also trying to make my breaks more active and less interneting... so I'm trying to for a walk or get some coffee.   

Another thing I haven't done recently, but used to do in college and grad school was set a timer for 45 minutes and focus, then take a 15 minute break. During the 45 minutes, I keep a piece of paper  next to me to write down the random stuff I think about or want to do during my break, so the thought isn't lost, but I'm not getting distracted by it.  ... I should bring that back. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 2 Recap!

 

1. Lift 3x per week. Done! Back up to max weights.  Struggled on deadlift day from lack of sleep. I think I'll try to keep progressing next week, but I may have to stall on that.   

 

2. Sleep 7 hours per night at least 6 days per week. Strugglebus. Only 4 days.  

 

3. Eat the protein!  Lost focus on tracking last week.  So... my guess is that I hit 100 grams 4 or 5 days. But I can't verify that. 

 

4. Minimum 5 hours billed while physically at the office.  So, done, but only just. I like this goal, and I'm glad I made it achievable, but I still really need to do more at the office.

 

5. 1 hike per week. I'm going to count it. I did a nice, decently long outside walk. Not on trails, but I live  in the mountains, so I still count it as tree time. And the dog was happy.

 

Thoughts on the week:

1. I had some non-work, family stress this week that really took my focus off basically everything. Things are fine, but it threw off work, sleep, and food, which--you know--sort of throws off everything. So, I still did what I needed to (mostly) so it's all fine. But hoping to get back on track.

 

2. I developed a weird ankle pain. Googling suggests that maybe it's a posterior tibial (or maybe a flexor hallucis longus) tendon issue? I have a long history of multiple ankle sprains, and I have struggled with plantar fasciitis in the past. It's not swollen and seems to go away when I treat it like I did plantar fasciitis (ice, lots of calf stretching, no stupid shoes), so I'm hoping it's just a minor thing.  I was just a little surprised because these types of aches usually only happen when I'm running.  And this one was new, with no specific incident causing it.  Anyone experienced this? 

 

3. I've really been trying to make these challenges about habits and not about my body shape, size or appearance. Buuut. I do have weight loss goals that I should, at some point, pay  more attention to.  I decided to take some progress pictures today, and it went okay. I have not really lost weight or inches since December and I still have a ton of fat to lose. But in the pictures today, hooollly cow, my back looks so much stronger!! I can really tell that I have developed a bunch of muscle since December. So, that was nice to see! I knew something must be happening because I am getting stronger, but I hadn't really been seeing many outward signs of the changes. 

 

4. I am continuing to research programs to do after Madcow. I think I'm liking the looks of Juggernaut. Thanks for the recommendation, @Deckard Gainz!  My two questions about it are:

(1) Is it enough to only do the big lifts once a week? I kind of like the idea, but I'm also wondering if it's enough for well rounded progress, especially since I'm still a beginner. It just seems like a big change from Stronglifts and Madcow--all squats all the time.

(2) Probably related to the first point, but does anyone have thoughts on other stuff to work into the program? It looks like the program is designed for athletes doing other sports, so I'm sure there are all kinds of options. I'd like to keep adding more hiking and other adventures, but I'm thinking more about accessory stuff. Wondering what's recommended. I'm thinking maybe front squats, lunges, hip thrusts, rows, working towards a pull up, core... maybe some deadlift variations? It could be very easy to get carried away. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, snowkc said:

(1) Is it enough to only do the big lifts once a week? I kind of like the idea, but I'm also wondering if it's enough for well rounded progress, especially since I'm still a beginner. It just seems like a big change from Stronglifts and Madcow--all squats all the time.

(2) Probably related to the first point, but does anyone have thoughts on other stuff to work into the program? It looks like the program is designed for athletes doing other sports, so I'm sure there are all kinds of options. I'd like to keep adding more hiking and other adventures, but I'm thinking more about accessory stuff. Wondering what's recommended. I'm thinking maybe front squats, lunges, hip thrusts, rows, working towards a pull up, core... maybe some deadlift variations? It could be very easy to get carried away. 

 

If you plan to get into competition powerlifting, juggernaut is probably not the best program for that. It's probably enough for most other general strength goals for a beginner/intermediate lifter, as are many of the other popular intermediate programs out there. It mostly comes down to personal preference. The fact that it's designed for sport athletes is a benefit if you enjoy other vigorous activity. I tried it in part so I could also work cycling and other conditioning into my weekly exercise, and also just to not feel completely beat up all the time. Having gone directly from SL to this, it was a refreshing change of pace.

 

If you're worried about only working the big lifts in once a week, consider adding in alternative variations like a bench press variation on OHP day, for example. The program already has RDLs, lunges, rows, and lat pulls to help with pullups. I have added in front squats and hip thrusts in the past. Currently I'm working in DB variations of bench press and overhead press, incline bench, flyes (I think the program lacks chest work... can you tell?), assisted pull-ups, good mornings, and more core work.  It's definitely manageable to add in 1-2 accessories and still be done in around an hour or less. I've done supersets on some of the late workout isolation stuff to speed things up as well.

 

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

If you plan to get into competition powerlifting, juggernaut is probably not the best program for that. It's probably enough for most other general strength goals for a beginner/intermediate lifter, as are many of the other popular intermediate programs out there. It mostly comes down to personal preference. The fact that it's designed for sport athletes is a benefit if you enjoy other vigorous activity. I tried it in part so I could also work cycling and other conditioning into my weekly exercise, and also just to not feel completely beat up all the time. Having gone directly from SL to this, it was a refreshing change of pace.

 

If you're worried about only working the big lifts in once a week, consider adding in alternative variations like a bench press variation on OHP day, for example. The program already has RDLs, lunges, rows, and lat pulls to help with pullups. I have added in front squats and hip thrusts in the past. Currently I'm working in DB variations of bench press and overhead press, incline bench, flyes (I think the program lacks chest work... can you tell?), assisted pull-ups, good mornings, and more core work.  It's definitely manageable to add in 1-2 accessories and still be done in around an hour or less. I've done supersets on some of the late workout isolation stuff to speed things up as well.

 

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions!

 

This is really helpful!  Thank you!  I agree that it sounds like a nice change of pace after SL and Madcow. I appreciate your thoughts on the accessories, especially on the timing (supersets on the lighter stuff is a good idea). This will add a lifting day to my current schedule, so it's good to hear that, even with accessories, it doesn't have to become a 2 hour workout.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, snowkc said:

 

2. I developed a weird ankle pain. Googling suggests that maybe it's a posterior tibial (or maybe a flexor hallucis longus) tendon issue? I have a long history of multiple ankle sprains, and I have struggled with plantar fasciitis in the past. It's not swollen and seems to go away when I treat it like I did plantar fasciitis (ice, lots of calf stretching, no stupid shoes), so I'm hoping it's just a minor thing.  I was just a little surprised because these types of aches usually only happen when I'm running.  And this one was new, with no specific incident causing it.  Anyone experienced this? 

 

3. I've really been trying to make these challenges about habits and not about my body shape, size or appearance. Buuut. I do have weight loss goals that I should, at some point, pay  more attention to.  I decided to take some progress pictures today, and it went okay. I have not really lost weight or inches since December and I still have a ton of fat to lose. But in the pictures today, hooollly cow, my back looks so much stronger!! I can really tell that I have developed a bunch of muscle since December. So, that was nice to see! I knew something must be happening because I am getting stronger, but I hadn't really been seeing many outward signs of the changes. 

 


Ooh, sorry about your ankle. But excellent about your stronger back! It's wonderful to see progress :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, snowkc said:

Well, this week was a little less good. But one thing I'm trying to do is just get going quickly when I get in. That's normally when I do most of my procrastinating. I always hear that you should "eat the frog" and do the worst thing first, but I find that I will just sit there thinking "I don't waaannnnaaa...." and not get started. I feel like I need a warm up.  So, I try to do something that's relatively easy, but still billable and productive. Once that's done, I feel like I can actually sit down to something that requires a little more thought/effort.  I'm also trying to make my breaks more active and less interneting... so I'm trying to for a walk or get some coffee.   

As someone who also struggled to eat the frog, I 100% like this approach! And feel you on less internet, more moving around for breaks.

 

18 hours ago, snowkc said:

Another thing I haven't done recently, but used to do in college and grad school was set a timer for 45 minutes and focus, then take a 15 minute break. During the 45 minutes, I keep a piece of paper  next to me to write down the random stuff I think about or want to do during my break, so the thought isn't lost, but I'm not getting distracted by it.  ... I should bring that back. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Ooooh I need to try this! I think I saw it as an idea once but never tried implementing it as a way to manage distraction.

 

8 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

If you plan to get into competition powerlifting, juggernaut is probably not the best program for that. It's probably enough for most other general strength goals for a beginner/intermediate lifter, as are many of the other popular intermediate programs out there. It mostly comes down to personal preference. The fact that it's designed for sport athletes is a benefit if you enjoy other vigorous activity. I tried it in part so I could also work cycling and other conditioning into my weekly exercise, and also just to not feel completely beat up all the time. Having gone directly from SL to this, it was a refreshing change of pace.

Counterpoint: Juggernaut (the company) has some RIDICULOUSLY competitive Power- and Weightlifting athletes training under their umbrella, though they may be training under such a different program that it no longer resembles the template in the book. But at a high level, the program's got macro- and mesocycle periodization going on, so it's more designed for advanced athletes who expect to bring their working maxes up by very little increments over time.

 

A lot of it just comes down to how you manage your recovery and how you structure your accessories (plus nutrition, what kind of technique coaching you're getting, etc.).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 3 Recap!

 

1. Lift 3x per week. Done! Lifting heavier things! Woohoo!   

 

2. Sleep 7 hours per night at least 6 days per week. So much fail. I got 5-6 hours almost every day last week then slept HARD all weekend. I'm feeling much better now, but I really need consistency. I'm really seeing how much sleep (or a lack thereof) affects everything else--workouts, eating, productivity at work...

 

3. Eat the protein!  Not great. I hit it 4 days. The other days were around 80. There was a direct correlation to whether I was feeling cranky and whether I ate intelligently. (See point 2--I'm thinking sleep is everything.)

 

4. Minimum 5 hours billed while physically at the office.  I'm going to count it. I did plenty every day except Friday. But I was over it and didn't want to be at work anymore. So I worked from home in the afternoon.

 

5. 1 hike per week. 3 hikes!! One was really short because the dog is terrified of rain. So that's a thing.  But I'm still going to count it because we got outside and my intentions were pure.

 

Thoughts on the week:

Life is so much better when I'm well rested, I'm learning. You'd think that wouldn't be rocket science, but now that I'm paying attention to it, it's pretty remarkable. I'm starting to wonder if this has been the missing link in my health battles/yo-yoing all along.  There are plenty of other things, but it really is a pretty noticeable difference in my mood, food choices, quality of my workouts... Now I just need to figure out ways to better protect my sleep time. Onward!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, snowkc said:

Thoughts on the week:

Life is so much better when I'm well rested, I'm learning. You'd think that wouldn't be rocket science, but now that I'm paying attention to it, it's pretty remarkable. I'm starting to wonder if this has been the missing link in my health battles/yo-yoing all along.  There are plenty of other things, but it really is a pretty noticeable difference in my mood, food choices, quality of my workouts... Now I just need to figure out ways to better protect my sleep time. Onward!


Awesome. Sometimes there are so many interacting variables it's hard to notice a clear effect. Should I reduce sugar, increase veg, decrease caffeine, decrease alcohol, increase cardio, increase meditation, take supplements, etc. So seeing a significant effect of sleep on your wellbeing is an excellent result.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowkc said:

Thoughts on the week:

Life is so much better when I'm well rested, I'm learning. You'd think that wouldn't be rocket science, but now that I'm paying attention to it, it's pretty remarkable.

 

It's so weird how sleeping seems like it's a vital part of staying healthy. So bizarre. :P

 

I keep rediscovering this. You'd think one day I would remember... thanks for the reminder!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Challenge Wind Up:

 

1. Lift 3x per week. Done! Failed on several lifts this week. Re-thinking my strategy...

 

2. Sleep 7 hours per night at least 6 days per week. Not bad actually. I can't say it was all very restful, but I was in bed for 7+ hours 6 days. So I'm gonna count it.

 

3. Eat the protein!  I didn't track...So I'm not sure. I'm experimenting with some intermittent fasting, so I know I didn't hit the protein numbers those days, but the ratio was good.  

 

4. Minimum 5 hours billed while physically at the office.  No problems here. Lots of work last week.

 

5. 1 hike per week. 2 hikes! And one was a pretty big one!  

 

Thoughts on the week:

Some personal stuff reared it's head again last week, but I think things are mostly sorted out.  I was unnecessarily anxious. I keep trying to remind myself that "worrying means you suffer twice," and just deal with shit when it happens instead of getting worked up before I know the facts. But... work in progress.  It definitely affected my sleep, desire for comfort food, etc.... Oh well.

 

Continued lifting!  I might be done with Madcow. I'm deciding. I couldn't get the reps on 3 lifts last week.  And Madcow really doesn't really contemplate a stall/deload plan. It seems to assume you will add weight each week. So, I'm debating between repeating this week or just moving on to something else (probably Juggernaut).  I'm leaning towards moving on for three reasons:  (1) I think I don't want to eat the way I would need to to keep adding weight every week, (2) I want to do more other stuff this summer, like hiking up mountains and maybe some running, and (3) I'm kinda tired of shooting for new big numbers--like physically tired. I'm starting to get weird aches in ankles and knees that aren't bad and don't last long, but I think I might benefit from a different approach.  I should probably decide this today, as it's a lifting day... 

I'm rethinking some nutrition stuff. Frankly, I need to lose some fat.  I've been trying really hard to not make this a priority because I've spent a lot of time over the years overly focused on it--not disordered necessarily, but just... time consuming.  So, I hate focusing too much on it.  But, it's a health thing (more on this to come in the next challenge).

 

One other thing--I had my annual physical and everything seems good! The provider was pretty excited that I was doing a lot of weightlifting, so that was nice! There's a lot of osteoporosis in my family, so she was very supportive! But otherwise, things seem good! Blood pressure and resting heart rate were fine. We'll see how the bloodwork comes in. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, snowkc said:

I keep trying to remind myself that "worrying means you suffer twice," and just deal with shit when it happens instead of getting worked up before I know the facts. But... work in progress.  It definitely affected my sleep, desire for comfort food, etc.... Oh well.

 


Ah, sorry to hear that. It's a good saying, though. Anxiety really does frequently suck more than the thing I'm anxious about. Gotta keep doing meditation because I use the same techniques to calm down when I need to--if I remember and have the self control to attempt it.
 

43 minutes ago, snowkc said:

 

I'm kinda tired of shooting for new big numbers--like physically tired. I'm starting to get weird aches in ankles and knees that aren't bad and don't last long, but I think I might benefit from a different approach.  I should probably decide this today, as it's a lifting day... 

 


Hmmm, yeah, that sounds like a good reason to ease back. I get sort of mentally tired if I have too many very heavy attempts to make, so I switched to three heavy sets for each of my lifts, and then I do two lighter ones at 85% of the heavies. It can be hard when you've done 2 really difficult sets and you think "Oh, three more". But if I think "just one more" then I can give it some brio.

 

53 minutes ago, snowkc said:

I'm rethinking some nutrition stuff. Frankly, I need to lose some fat.  I've been trying really hard to not make this a priority because I've spent a lot of time over the years overly focused on it--not disordered necessarily, but just... time consuming.  So, I hate focusing too much on it.  But, it's a health thing (more on this to come in the next challenge).

 

Yeah... when I focus on losing weight I end up rebound eating sooner or later. When I do finally get back to adding nutrition goals into my life it will have to be about adding in positive things rather than taking away negative things, because otherwise I fear it will get me back to a dieting mindset and I'll end up restricting and then rebound eating, which apparently is associated with long term weight gain, more so than not dieting in the first place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snowkc said:

One other thing--I had my annual physical and everything seems good! The provider was pretty excited that I was doing a lot of weightlifting, so that was nice! There's a lot of osteoporosis in my family, so she was very supportive! But otherwise, things seem good! Blood pressure and resting heart rate were fine. We'll see how the bloodwork comes in.

 

Last bu definitely not least. You're healthy! Congratulations on that, it's not as common as it should be. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, snowkc said:

Continued lifting!  I might be done with Madcow. I'm deciding. I couldn't get the reps on 3 lifts last week.  And Madcow really doesn't really contemplate a stall/deload plan. It seems to assume you will add weight each week. So, I'm debating between repeating this week or just moving on to something else (probably Juggernaut).  I'm leaning towards moving on for three reasons:  (1) I think I don't want to eat the way I would need to to keep adding weight every week, (2) I want to do more other stuff this summer, like hiking up mountains and maybe some running, and (3) I'm kinda tired of shooting for new big numbers--like physically tired. I'm starting to get weird aches in ankles and knees that aren't bad and don't last long, but I think I might benefit from a different approach.  I should probably decide this today, as it's a lifting day... 

I've been debating trying Madcow since you mentioned it. I'm not sure what I want to do next but adding weight that regularly is hard for most. I think you had a good run with it, but you also need to listen to your body. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Anxiety really does frequently suck more than the thing I'm anxious about.

 

So much this. I wasted so much energy on something that will probably turn out fine. I'm thinking meditation might need to be a challenge goal for next time.

 

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Last bu definitely not least. You're healthy! Congratulations on that, it's not as common as it should be. :)

 

Thank you! That is good to remember. And good to remember to not take it for granted. :) 

 

5 hours ago, JessFit said:

I've been debating trying Madcow since you mentioned it. I'm not sure what I want to do next but adding weight that regularly is hard for most. I think you had a good run with it, but you also need to listen to your body. 

 

I think it's been a decent program, but things just slowed down dramatically for me. I have gotten some additional PRs out of it, so it's a win. But, as much as I don't like program-hopping, I think it's just not a good match for what I want right now. So, a goals mismatch rather than a bad program.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.