• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guzzi

Power clean/ clean and jerk

I was trying to find some drills for the clean and jerk (or just power cleans tbh) and I came across what looked like a really in-depth video, only thing is, the trainer started the drill by getting the lifter to bounce the bar off her thighs to generate the momentum for the second pull.  I’ve never heard of this before and it seems totally wrong...  or am I missing something?

It's teaching the concept of momentum to someone who's never performed Olympic lifting. He mentions using it as being a guide to show the lifter where the bar should be accelerating from. 

What he doesn't explain, and I think this is where you'e getting stuck is the bounce off the thigh is only a reminder of where you want to pull the bar upward. The clean is a violent, explosive hip thrust as a part of the whole move. A proper clean should not be a deadlift into a hang clean and he does talk about that at about the 12 minute mark where he corrects Meg that she's jumping instead of exploding up.

The video is a 30 minute explanation of a months long crawl walk run program and Meg Squats is a seasoned powerlifter so she's tweaking an understanding on existing skills as opposed to learning a brand new skill.

Thanks @Grumble!  I’ve been trying to find some info on breaking this lift down into its component parts so that I can work on my form, but I’ve struggled to find much that really does this.  I’m not a complete beginner, I’ve done many power cleans, but it’s been a long time (I was very, very ill for about 5 years) and I’m pretty sure that I’m probably not doing them correctly.  If you can think of any good resources then feel free to share... ;) 

USC (technically a hang clean instruction, but the hang clean is usually the portion of the clean that is the most problematic.)

Omar Isuf

Alan Thrall

Generally avoid instruction from Crossfit athletes as they use a heavy thigh bounce since they generally have to do reps for time and while not as strong, it makes for a faster lift. Unless you're doing xfit... in which case only therapy can help you. :D

• Haha 1