• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zaphine

Zaphine thumps her mug on the table....

...and clears her throat.  "While I've lurked around these parts for quite a while, this is my first entry into these challenges.  But I have been training with Ser Staci, and she has recommended I leave some of my lurking ways behind.  

"My big 5 goals from the Challenge worksheet revolve around friends, fitness and finance.  (I didn't plan it to be alliterative, though.)  With that in mind, for the next 4 weeks, here are my challenge goals:  

1. To do 3 strength workouts/week
  2. To do one week of catered meal prep (order Chipotle catering and divide into meals) to see what that's like
  3. To work with Staci and figure out what the parameters of a sustainable and enjoyable meal plan might look like
  4. To see friend-type people outside of work 3 times/week (for significant interactions)

As mentioned, these challenges are new to me.  If any of you more seasoned rebels would care to provide feedback or guidance to what I've laid out here, I'd gladly hear your thoughts."  

About me:

I'm a 49 year old single project manager, turning 50 in a couple of months.  I'm in decent shape for a 50-year-old cubicle jockey, but my mom's 93 and I want to ensure that I stay in at-least decent shape for my age for the next 40 years.  I've been in NF coaching for about a year, was doing great, then fell off the wagon bigtime and am trying to get my mojo back.  My main struggle is simply BELIEVING that putting in the work makes a difference, believing that a fit life isn't all duty and no pleasure.  (I've been burned before a few times, you see.)  To that end, I'm going back to basics and working on mindset foundations stuff, which includes these challenges and seeking community support in the forums.  

• Like 6

Oh hey! We're the same age!

Welcome to the rebellion...this catering meal prep you have intrigues me....I have to meal prep or I don't eat, but some weeks are a struggle!

Hi, RES!  Love your tagline -- live days worth dying for.  That's goosebumps-up-the-spine worthy....  

I borrowed the catering meal prep idea from someone else.  I've been talking about trying it, but am using this challenge as a way of ACTUALLY making it happen (not just in my head).  I'm very good about thinking ideas but not actually making them so.

• Like 2

Day 1 Report:  Posted my challenge.  First hurdle accomplished!  

Day 2 Report:  Didn't do the strength workout I meant to (Goal #1) -- I need to get back into the habit of doing the workout as soon as I come home.  Once I sit down on the couch, inertia has its way with me!  But I did hit 10,000 steps today, and I spent the evening having dinner at a friend's house (Goal #4).   

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Zaphine said:

Once I sit down on the couch, inertia has its way with me! 

Allllllllll of this! Main reason I get up and workout in the morning :D 

7 hours ago, Zaphine said:

Hi, RES!  Love your tagline -- live days worth dying for.  That's goosebumps-up-the-spine worthy....  

Thank you! I agree, I've also had it there so long I forget where I stole it from :lol: 

Day 3:  Rapidly discovering that some parts of this challenge are easier for me than others.  Still didn't do the strength workout, but did get 10,000 steps in, including a half-hour walk with a friend after a game of Pandemic: Legacy.  

Day 4:  DID MY STRENGTH WORKOUT!  This was trying to pick up where I left off with the bodyweight strength workout I'd been doing last fall, and ...oy, it seemed like a lot.  3 Supersets of 4 sets each.  My knees had strong objections to the lunges, and so I didn't do my full sets on that one.  (Is there a way to modify lunges to be kinder to bad knees, or a different exercise to do until my quads catch up?)  Also chatted with Spezzy about nutrition planning, so that's two challenges worked on today!  (Bonus goal:  hit my 10,000 steps, thanks to 4 minutes on the treadmill at 9pm.)

• Like 4

On 4/26/2019 at 9:27 AM, Zaphine said:

Day 4:  DID MY STRENGTH WORKOUT!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

End of Week 1 report:

It was kind of A Week.  Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of walking away from my 19-year marriage.  My mom announced that she's moving out of my childhood home into an assisted living facility -- and that she's moving next week.  Really, neither of those things are bad, but it has meant that my feelings are all a-roil, which isn't great for the building of new habits.  

Ok, I bit off too big a task list for Week 1.  Here's the report, followed by my modifications for Week 2:  

1. To do 3 strength workouts/week -- I did one strength workout, mostly.  And my knees did NOT like it.  I had tried to just pick up where I left off with strength workouts last fall, and it was too much for me, daunting.  I'm going to keep the goal, but step down what I mean by it for next week.  
  2. To do one week of catered meal prep (order Chipotle catering and divide into meals) to see what that's like.  Didn't do anything on this yet, which fits my plan.
  3. To work with Staci and figure out what the parameters of a sustainable and enjoyable meal plan might look like.  We chatted....and I confess to still being more confused on this than I want to be.  
  4. To see friend-type people outside of work 3 times/week (for significant interactions).  SUCCESS!  Played Pandemic: Legacy with friends on two separate occasions, D&D with a different group of friends today, met an acquaintance for a workday lunch, and went for a Pokemon Go walk with a New Friend after work one day -- she's a friend of a friend, but this was the first time we've gotten together solo.  

So, what's the plan for Week 2:  Same goals, with tweaks.

1. To do 3 strength workouts/week -- Instead of the full workouts, I'm going to aspire to three mini workouts, which is 3 sets of squats, elevated pushups, planks.  My hope is that it will both build the habit and start building strength so lunges don't hurt so much.  Definitely a case of "something is better than nothing".    
  2. To do one week of catered meal prep (order Chipotle catering and divide into meals) to see what that's like -- I'll plan to pick up the Chipotle catering on Friday, with 10 meals to spread out over the week (2/3 of non-breakfast meals)
  3. To work with Staci and figure out what the parameters of a sustainable and enjoyable meal plan might look like -- I'll keep the conversation going, see if I can figure this out.  I want to define what "eating well" for me looks like, so that I can head toward that.  But do I do that with macros estimation, with the NF nutrition ladder, with calorie counting.....?  Paralysis through too many choices!
  4. To see friend-type people outside of work 3 times/week (for significant interactions) -- Keep this as is.  

By the way, how do I do a sig file on here?  

• Like 4

On 4/28/2019 at 9:11 PM, Zaphine said:

By the way, how do I do a sig file on here? 

I only know how to on the computer, which is go to your username in the top, right, corner, under the drop down select account settings, then on the left side of the screen you will see several options, the last one is "signature" :D 

On 5/1/2019 at 11:21 AM, Zaphine said:

Hah!  I got it!  Thanks, @RES!

Yay!! 

giphy.gif

Week 2 Summary:  It's been a crazy week.  One evening entirely spent seeing Avengers: Endgame, one evening entirely spent teaching a class, and I spent Saturday night camping out for tickets for a festival in August.  Much of life didn't go to plan this week. My mom moved into assisted living (which caused feels).  But here's what happened on the challenge:

1.  To do 3 strength workouts -- DONE!  It's a short bodyweight workout, but I did it!  I'll do the same for this coming week

2.  To do one week of catered meal prep -- Didn't actually.  Hmph.  I will go to the Chipotle website as soon as I finish making this post and put in my damn order....

3.  To work with @spezzy and figure out what the parameters of a sustainable and enjoyable meal plan might look like -- the conversation continues, but I don't know that I feel like I'm making progress yet.

4.  To see friend-type people outside of work 3 times/week -- DONE!  D&D on Sunday, Endgame on Tuesday, a date on Saturday night.   

EDITED TO ADD -- ok, so it took me an additional 6 hours to actually order the Chipotle catering, but I did it!  I ordered meals for 10, to be picked up next Tuesday (because I'm unexpectedly road tripping this weekend).  I also ordered meal prep containers and a kitchen scale from Amazon, so next Tuesday night I'll unpack my catering, carefully portion it out, and plan to eat half my meals for the week from that.

• Like 3

I'm sorry about your mom, good job on the goals this week though! 

I saw Endgame twice myself this week :D OMG, wow...definitely worth it!

• Like 1

@RES, My mom is 93 and was still living independently in my childhood home until now.  She's decided to move to this new place because she doesn't want to have to worry about shoveling any more -- said this past winter was just too long and isolating for her taste.  I aspire to be in as good a shape as she is at 93! So this isn't a "sorry about your Mom" situation (though it is inspiring some feelings for me), but I know that it sounds that way.

Endgame was so good.  I'm trying to talk a cute boy into seeing it with me this week -- we'll see if that works.  ;)  

• Like 4

Oh wow! That's amazing! I'm trying to aspire to that before I hit 53 :o 

If it doesn't work then you deserve better! ;)