• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl Has A Joy Filled Challenge

I am still on my deficit eating. Last month did not go as well as I would have liked.  I lost a bit of weight, but then my weight just plateaued.  That, and the fact that I miss being able to eat all the food makes me feel like this:

giphy.gif

So , I let myself have a moment of that. But, I don't want to stay there. And I didn't want to start my challenge with that attitude.  As a Christian, I believe that we should live our lives with joy and gratitude. Which affects everything, even how I eat. I wanted to take the perspective into my challenge. I am trying to lose weight, but I am also thankful for how much my body can do for me right now, and the fact that I  have been able to maintain most of my weight loss makes me very thankful.  I want to learn to slow down and appreciate the food that I am eating. I want to be thankful for the way it nourishes my body, and how wonderful it tastes. I don't want to whine about not being able to eat with every small craving I have, but develop a bit of discipline with my eating habits, and wait until I am truly hungry (about a 3-4 on my hunger scale) to eat.

Which is why I chose Joy as my inspiration this time. I love the movie Inside Out and the way it demonstrates how we are a  jumble of emotions, and sometimes we have to acknowledge one to appreciate the other. Losing weight is hard, and there will be sometimes when I feel hunger, but that will help me appreciate the food even more. And slowing down to eat will help me listen to my hunger cues,and give me more gratitude

Inside-Out-Joy-Wallpaper-inside-out-3890

My Main Quest : Weigh 118 pounds by June 3/ starting weight 122.4

Goal 1:eat slow

I worked on this last challenge and am continuing. This time I am going to actually time myself and see how long I take. The diet book Fat Loss Happens On Monday recommends each meal take at least 20 minutes. I thought it would be a fun experiment to time myself to see how I was doing.

So, 3 meals a week I'm going to time and see how long I take. Then I can play a game with myself to see if I can stretch that out

Goal 2: For Lunch : Eating without looking at the computer screen for 4 meals a week. bonus point for eating with no distraction

Goal 3: Snacks; eating with no distractions; one free exemption a week. I'm trying to do no snacks. But this way, if I'm hungry I will have a snack, but then just focus on the food, and not have it be an excuse to look at the computer

Also continuing:

Gratitude prayer before meals

Kettlebell workouts

crow practice

tracking on MFP

Trying for:

200 calories a day from walking or rowing

Experiments

I'm going to try and do weighted walks, and or kettlebell swings on my off days. The idea being these aren't as hard on my body but should help me burn calories. If I don't have time, or am not up to it, that is fine. Just something to see if I can burn a few more calories.

• Like 9

I hope everyone who celebrates Easter had a lovely weekend. I did. Friday, we went over to my sister's house and had a dinner brunch with her and my nieces. We had sausages, egg frittata, bacon, sparkling cider, muffins (I made some blueberry regular and some raspberry gluten free that I could eat)fruit,  and tater tots. Then we played the cooperative Hogwarts game, and once again defeated the villains.  Since it was a celebration, I didn't count calories for the dinner. I tried to eat light during the day, and for dinner, I tried to eat slowly and enjoy the meal. I did eat until I was full, and then a few more pieces of  bacon eaten for good measure. Oh, Friday hubby had off , and we went to see Shazam, which was a fun movie. We wanted to go geocaching, but the wet weather dampened our enthusiasm.:smile-new:

Saturday I spent food prepping for Easter. I tried to eat light, but I also sampled some of what I was cooking.

Sunday was a great day. We went to  our early morning service (called sunrise, but it was later than that) in the park. Then breakfast at our church, More sparkling cider, bacn, hardboiled eggs , and potatoes. Then our regular church.  Then my son and two of his very good friends came over for Easter lunch. They are great guys, and I enjoyed spending the day with them. We had lunch, and then played a fun board that simulates race car driver called THunder Alley. Since it was Easter, I didn't worry again about calories. I did try and eat slow and enjoy the food.

Here is our food and some website links

Wine

Lamb  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-style-leg-of-lamb-recipe-with-potatoes/    

( I didn't broil the lamb I cooked at 475 for a few miutes)

Roast chicken - no recipe - just put ghee and spices on it and baked it

Orange carrots- http://www.paleocupboard.com/orange-and-ginger-glazed-carrots.html

Roasted asparagus- no reipe _ I just sprayed with avocado oil- season with my garlic and herb seasoning mix I have and baked in the oven at 425 for about 10 minutes

potatoes- baked with lamb

fruit (leftover from Friday)

rolls

Then for dessert I made non dairy chocolate cheesecake. My friend's daughter had made this and I really like it. She froze hers, and it was still semi frozen when we ate it. So that texture was good , not great. I put mine in the fridge. But then it didn't set up. It was more like chocolate mousse. And it wasn't sweet enough. It was still good, but the recipe needs some tweaks https://minimalistbaker.com/no-bake-chocolate-cheesecakes/

Then this morning, I weighed myself and I was up. Obviously, I ate more over the weekend. But I was really pretty strict over the week. I will see what tomorrow's numbers show. I'm a little frustrated at my lack of weight loss these last weeks.  That said, once again I wore a dress, and my calves look amazing. They are super strong and healthy looking. It's just the fluff around the middle which seems to not want to leave.

• Like 10

yes, following!

rain is being a big pest on the other side of the country too.... 

I suppose we must accept the truth of the old statement - "April Showers for May flowers".

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

Always glad to see you!

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, annyshay said:

Here for this!

Yay and hello!

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, SkyGirl said:

Definitely following!!  :D 

Thanks, waving hello!

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, Moros said:

Following!  Joy is always a good idea!

Thanks, yes I think so

13 hours ago, TGP said:

yes, following!

rain is being a big pest on the other side of the country too.... 

I suppose we must accept the truth of the old statement - "April Showers for May flowers".

We should be set up for lots of May flowers! I know you hike a bunch in the rain. I'm much more fair weather. We have gotten caught in rain while geocaching, but we don't usually go if it is already raining

13 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Following!

Hi there!

12 hours ago, jcmgm said:

If you face them with joy, whatever goal you've got will be great!

Agree, and that is the plan.

8 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Can't wait to see what your goals are and how you bring Joy to them.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Arkania said:

Following :)

Hi!!!

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

So agree with you about Inside Out. Here for Joy and Sadness, hopefully more of the first and very little of the latter, even if they work together ;)  :D

Yes, hopefully more joy. 

• Like 2

Had lunch while reading on Kindle, stayed away from computer

Ate slow- didn't think to time it though

Had a snack  and ate it distraction free. I bought  myself a dark chocolate bar for Easter (everyone else got bunnies) and I had one square of it. Eating it distraction free helped me be satisfied with one square.

Practiced crow, did some kettlebell swings 100 25# swing with very little break, and then went on a walk. My MFP goal was 1,300 and I ended up eating 1,400. That is about a 400 calorie deficit. Not sure if doing the kb swings helps or not, since I just get hungrier.

Here is a video of my praciticng the crow. I am mainly just working at finding the balance point.

• Like 9

You were really close at the end!! I've tried that pose once or twice and never could find the balance point either - you got way closer than I did!  :D  Also, if it's not creepy to say so, your forearms look amazing!!!

• Like 1

It will come! Great idea to work on your thinking around eating/weight loss. It really helps to be aware that everything you do is actually a choice. Even if you 'can't' eat something- you really can, you just choose not to. 

• Like 1

I agree with anyone else - watching the video, you are 95% there.  You are clearly not struggling to hold the weight - it's just the exact balance point you are looking for. 

almost-there-almost-593x400.jpg

You will get it soon!

13 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

You were really close at the end!! I've tried that pose once or twice and never could find the balance point either - you got way closer than I did!  :D  Also, if it's not creepy to say so, your forearms look amazing!!!

Not creepy at all! As I matter of fact, I love it. I will always take compliments about me looking strong. :smile-new: I'm rather proud of my forearm myself. Being petite, I felt like my forearm always looked so frail, so it is very nice to have strong looking forearm

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It will come! Great idea to work on your thinking around eating/weight loss. It really helps to be aware that everything you do is actually a choice. Even if you 'can't' eat something- you really can, you just choose not to. 

Thanks. Yes, I am really trying to look at it as a choice I make, that will pay off in the long run.

2 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Awkward confession: I've never seen Inside Out! I know, I missing out. And you're getting pretty close with your crow pose. You can do it! I believe in you.

Thanks. Yes, watch the movie. It is so good.

59 minutes ago, Moros said:

I agree with anyone else - watching the video, you are 95% there.  You are clearly not struggling to hold the weight - it's just the exact balance point you are looking for. 

almost-there-almost-593x400.jpg

You will get it soon!

Thanks, My wrists do get kind of sore, so I will have to build up on that.

Thanks for all the encouragement on the crow guys.That makes me feel good. I'm fairly confident I can get it. I can do a sort of crow now, it's just not with a flat back. I worked forever on getting that one. Which tells me it may take longer than I think, but I will get this one too. Every time I do it, I get closer. It helps that instead of looking for the big break through, I  just work at learning one new thing each time, and look for tiny improvements.

• Like 5

Late to this one, but I'm glad you had a nice Easter weekend and love the joy focus for your challenge. 

You'll get that crow, it's great that you're seeing progress! I feel like half the challenge is not being afraid to faceplant :P 

• Like 2

Late to the party but following!

Your crow is really close! Your forearms are nice and perpendicular to the ground, you are looking forward instead of down, and you've got a nice tuck/round to your core/back. The only way I've found my balance point was having a few pillows or yoga blocks in front of my head, and being comfortable rocking too far forward. You're gonna get there soooo soon!

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:34 AM, Hiroro said:

Late to this one, but I'm glad you had a nice Easter weekend and love the joy focus for your challenge. 

You'll get that crow, it's great that you're seeing progress! I feel like half the challenge is not being afraid to faceplant :P 

Thanks. Yeah, the fear of the faceplant is real. On the other hand, I have face planted, and didn't do much damage , such I guess it'll be alright

20 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

Late to the party but following!

Your crow is really close! Your forearms are nice and perpendicular to the ground, you are looking forward instead of down, and you've got a nice tuck/round to your core/back. The only way I've found my balance point was having a few pillows or yoga blocks in front of my head, and being comfortable rocking too far forward. You're gonna get there soooo soon!

Thaks, yeah, I'm on a mat and I have  a rolled up towel in front of my head

• Like 2

Oops, I was busy Wednesday evening and Thursday so I didn't update. 

First the exciting stuff:

I did the crow pose hold for a millsecond today! Good form, almost flat back. And in other news, I went to judge at a speech an debate tournament yesterday. Of course, there were treats. But usually , since I don't eat wheat that doesn't tempt me. However, they had gluten free chocolate chip cookies. I though about it, and decided to have one. I sat and ate it , and though about how it tasted. I decided I like the sweetness of it ( I love how sugar tastes) but that was all I tasted. I liked being able to have a treat, but it was only so -so tasting. I was happy to have had one, but was satisfied with that and didn't want more.

Goals:

Wednesday I ate prayed and ate lunch slowly. I had a snack distraction free. I tracked with MFP

Thursday: I prayed but I ate lunch in front of a scree. I had only had a few minutes in the morning to catch up with you all, and I really wanted to check the forums, so I did. And I was super hungry, so at least for the first part of lunch, I gobbled. I guestimated MFP, as we ate at my in-law senior living center. But their meal portions are small, and the only snack I had before bed was some collagen and a tsp of coconut milk in my tea.

One of my goals is to actually time how long I take to eat. I want to do this to quantify a bit if I am eating slow. I keep forgetting though.

I've been working out, still enjoying my Kettelbell workouts, and walking. Today's plan is to start on the garage cleaning project

• Like 10

Good experiences with those cookies :)

And cool that you judged an event like that! What were the speeches/debates about?

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Good experiences with those cookies :)

And cool that you judged an event like that! What were the speeches/debates about?

The speeches have several topics  things like doing a scene from a book, or reading a monologue, pretending they are selling you something. I judged a Bible question round. The debate topic was to pick a way that the United States should  change foreign aid and debate that. I would have loved to judge the debate round, but my friend that I went with wanted to judge speech. The schedule is  set up to do speech round for  ninety minutes, then  the next ninety minutes is debate. 

• Like 3