• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl Has A Joy Filled Challenge

YAY for doing the Crow form!

your millisecond will soon become- for as long as you want to hold the pose, I think.

anyways its a great accomplishment.   nearly 20 years back for a while I got serious about yoga... it was a good time in my life.  

I think your explorations of functional fitness is fantastic.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, TGP said:

YAY for doing the Crow form!

your millisecond will soon become- for as long as you want to hold the pose, I think.

anyways its a great accomplishment.   nearly 20 years back for a while I got serious about yoga... it was a good time in my life.  

I think your explorations of functional fitness is fantastic.

Thanks

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Hope you have a good week 2 :loyal:

At first I read this is HAD a good week 2, and I wondered if I was confused on weeks (again!)

• Like 2

Great weekend.

Saturday we spent all day cleaning the garage. Yay, we got so much done! Then we went out to burgers with a friend. I  had the smaller burger and split a fries with hubby. Then we played Seafarers of Cataan.Thier games now have different scenarios you can play, which is super fun. And I won!! I don't usually win the strategy type games, so I have to celebrate when we do. Then Sunday went to church, and then ate at Panerra. I said earlier I don't really like ordering salads. But Panera is different. I really like the salad I ordered, It has chicken, and bacon, and avocado, and egg. And it really fills me up. I also decided to get a treat, and had a macaroon. I ate it slowly and enjoyed it. Remember when I said the chocolate chip cookie was only so-so?This macaroon was so good. It was dipped in chocolate. You could taste the coconut, and the chocolate, and the texture was wonderful. It wasn't just like all I am tasting is sugar, it was an actual treat. Then we went geocaching. We found 7 caches. It is a lovely trail, flat, and  gravel, so it is an easy walk. There are mountains on one said, and the trail winds  alongside  pretty alder trees, and then there is  a river you walk by on part of the trail. I love watching the river. In some parts its so calm, and then just a little further down, it's rushing by so quickly, and you can hear the sound as it roars over the rocks.  And then after we  got home, my sister and nieces dropped by to tell us that my niece has been admitted and is going to the University of Washington- so that was exciting.

I will give an official report on my week tomorrow, but here are my thoughts;

I've been thinking about the fact that my inspiration for this challenge is Joy from Inside Out. One of the things I like about the movie, is how it addresses the fact that we are a mixture of emotions, and all of our emotions are important. One of the reasons we know what joy is, is because we have also experienced sadness. So, for me, this week, that meant acknowledging that sometimes losing weight is hard, and it makes me sad. It is hard to say no  to just eating because I want something right now, it is hard to choose a salad over French fries. But , waiting a bit longer to eat, also really helps me appreciate it when I do it. Limiting my treats can be hard, but it also helps me to slow down and appreciate it when I do have a treat.

The other good thing about this week, is that I feel like I am gaining better insights into my hunger cues.  Learning how to stop and evaluate before I eat how hungry I am. Deciding to busy myself a bit and see if I'm just bored, or have some tea and a nice break if I feel like I want to eat just so I have an excuse to slow down. But, on the other hand, not feeling like I have to white knuckle it, and not eat when I really am hungry. I was frustrated this fall, because I lost  five pounds, and then gained it back so quickly. And I think part of the reason was that my last cut  I didn't let myself eat until I was famished, and that led to me overeating once I was no longer on the cut (side note I am pretty sure part of what I gained was muscle, so I'm not too frustrated)Anyway, I am happy that I am think I am beginning to feel what the  amount of hunger I need to lose weight for me is. Another side note, I know some people say you don't need to be hungry at all to lose weight, I have not found that to be the case. For me, it is about having a little hunger on occasion, but not so much that I feel like I need to make up for it.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Saturday we spent all day cleaning the garage. Yay, we got so much done!

Lol, I had to double check which week it was before typing for you. Last challenge I was all over with the week numbers :D

Yeah! for real strength training usage!

we played Seafarers of Cataan.Thier games now have different scenarios you can play, which is super fun. And I won!!

Woot! Woot! for winning :D

You are making amazing progress with the thoughts and emotional side of the challenge, figuring yourself, your habits and likes and dislikes out. A lot of food for thought.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I said earlier I don't really like ordering salads. But Panera is different.

Same! I don't like ordering salads, but Panera's always an exception for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

But Panera is different.

My daughter was talking about that this weekend. She said if we had a Panera in our town she would eat a lot more salad... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Lol, I had to double check which week it was before typing for you. Last challenge I was all over with the week numbers :D

Yeah! for real strength training usage!

Woot! Woot! for winning :D

You are making amazing progress with the thoughts and emotional side of the challenge, figuring yourself, your habits and likes and dislikes out. A lot of food for thought.

Thanks

9 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Same! I don't like ordering salads, but Panera's always an exception for me.

Panera does know how to make good salads. Other restaurants should take notes

6 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Wow, your introspection game is on point. Good for you. It is inspiring to me.

thanks

6 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

My daughter was talking about that this weekend. She said if we had a Panera in our town she would eat a lot more salad... 

She is right. You have a sad town with no Panera. They are everywhere here

• Like 2

Week 1

1) Eat Slow- Actually time myself for 4 meals to see if I take at least 20 minutes to eat

Oops, I kept forgetting to do this. I did do it one time, and I finished my lunch in 15 minutes. I felt like I ate super slow, so that was interesting.

2)Eat lunch without being on computer or watching TV.

4 days _YES

3) Snacks- Just eating with no distractions

Yes- This was done. And I found myself being much more satisfied with just one square of chocolate or small handful of nuts when I slowed down an paid attention to what I was eating.

I also finished my scrapbook and worked on cleaning the garage.

On Tuesday and Saturday I did an extra mini workout with KB swings and Turkish Get Ups. Got lots of walking in

Did my main KB workout 3 days 

Today measurements; Down 1 pound, and an inch lost on my belly

Today's report;

I remembered to time myself. Set the timer, had lunch, ate slow, Checked my time, and I had forgotten to set the timer.:redface-new: I'm really interested in this as a sort of experiment, but so far it hasn't happened. I have so much yard work to do. We had tons of rain, and now it's sunny. And our yard has exploded with weeds. I've decided to cut my walks  shorter, so I have more time for weeding.  Today I spent a couple of hours  digging out the mulch I'd placed over the Dahlias and weeding one of our garden beds. 

The workouts I'm doing are sets of 12-15 , which is unusual for me. The author (Josh Hillis) recommends doing it at an easier progression so you can do more reps. It is very deceptive. You start out thinking how easy it is, but by the third set, you are dying. For instance, I'm just doing knee push ups. Who know my biceps could get such a pump from knee pushups? 

Tomorrow is Mr. Incredible's birthday. I've been pondering how to handle it calorie wise. We are going to a fancy burger place, and then coming home and having cupcakes. Since it is a special day, I don't want to be overly worried about how many calories we eat at dinner. But to stay in a deficit and eat a big meal, I have to eat very little during the day, and I don't really do very well with that. I think I will eat like I have been for breakfast and lunch , and then just count the birthday meal as a special treat  re-feed time. I also made cupcakes instead of cakes. I figured cupcakes are easy to portion control, and I will send some home with my son.

• Like 6

Happy Birthday (tomorrow) for Mr. Incredible! Woot! Woot!

and then just count the birthday meal as a special treat  re-feed time.

That sounds the most sensible and logical.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I did do it one time, and I finished my lunch in 15 minutes. I felt like I ate super slow, so that was interesting.

I feel like eating without distractions will always take way less time than eating while reading or watching something. But with distractions, you tend to eat more. So maybe how long it takes isn't the real goal here? Maybe the actual goal is being as mindful as possible.

And I think your ideas on the Mister's birthday are great. Just be mindful, and appreciate the extra work you will have to do the next day to get back on track. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

I feel like eating without distractions will always take way less time than eating while reading or watching something. But with distractions, you tend to eat more. So maybe how long it takes isn't the real goal here? Maybe the actual goal is being as mindful as possible.

And I think your ideas on the Mister's birthday are great. Just be mindful, and appreciate the extra work you will have to do the next day to get back on track. 

I was wondering the same thing. But, I'd  like to time it more so I actually have some  data. I can time some of the time when I'm reading and some of the time with no distractions. And compare how much I eat, how full I feel, and how long I take. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I was wondering the same thing. But, I'd  like to time it more so I actually have some  data. I can time some of the time when I'm reading and some of the time with no distractions. And compare how much I eat, how full I feel, and how long I take. 

Ah yes, putting the "nerd" in nerd fitness! I love it.

I am the same way with data, always want more, even if I have no idea what to do with it!

• Like 1

You're definitely not the only one that experiences a little hunger in their sweet spot for weight loss.. Maybe it's already too late by the time you read this- but what we sometimes forget when calorie counting is that it's not really a daily business, even if we make it that way. It's the average over weeks that really matters.. so instead of starving yourself for one morning/afternoon you could just in preparation for this type of event save just a couple calories here and there throughout the week. 

• Like 1

I am loving all of your ruminations on mindful eating - it sounds like you're having a really good experience with it.

Hope you enjoyed the birthday treats, and that Mr. Incredible had a wonderful birthday!

On 4/28/2019 at 11:15 PM, Elastigirl said:

Another side note, I know some people say you don't need to be hungry at all to lose weight, I have not found that to be the case. For me, it is about having a little hunger on occasion, but not so much that I feel like I need to make up for it.

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You're definitely not the only one that experiences a little hunger in their sweet spot for weight loss..

There may be some exceptions, but I think this is pretty generally true too.

20 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Found you! Sorry it took me a while, but I found you!

No worries, super glad to see you round these parts again!

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You're definitely not the only one that experiences a little hunger in their sweet spot for weight loss.. Maybe it's already too late by the time you read this- but what we sometimes forget when calorie counting is that it's not really a daily business, even if we make it that way. It's the average over weeks that really matters.. so instead of starving yourself for one morning/afternoon you could just in preparation for this type of event save just a couple calories here and there throughout the week. 

Good to know others feel the hunger. I  most likely won't 't try and make up the calories in  a higher deficit over the week. I feel like right now I'm at my max difficulty level for hunger, and so I'm just going to try and get right back on track and keep within the calories I've set already. I may lose less this week , but that's alright. 

13 hours ago, Hiroro said:

I am loving all of your ruminations on mindful eating - it sounds like you're having a really good experience with it.

Hope you enjoyed the birthday treats, and that Mr. Incredible had a wonderful birthday!

Thanks. Yes we had a wonderful birthday.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

There may be some exceptions, but I think this is pretty generally true too.

Good to know thanks.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, GoodDoug said:

Ah yes, putting the "nerd" in nerd fitness! I love it.

I am the same way with data, always want more, even if I have no idea what to do with it!

Yep, I am a nerd. 

Agggh! I just spent five minutes typing a post and then it disappeared.

Now here's my shortened version"

Yesterday evening was lovely. Hubby, son and I went out to a hamburger place. I had a salmon filet without the bun, and subbed fries for a salad.  Then we came home and played Hogwarts , and ate the cupcakes. We sent all but two home with my son.

Today I remembered to time my lunch . It took 18 minutes. Went on a long with my friend, did my workout, got lots of weeding done in the yard. I had my cupcake as a snack. I had planned on eating it in the evening , when Mr. Incredible had his. But I wanted it now. And then I decided that I also wanted to  wanted to stare at the computer , so that was my one free pass for the week. Then in the evening , when Mr, Incredible ate his cupcake, I was sad that I didn't have anything. . I was thinking of having  chocolate chips, but decided to delay a while and see if the craving went away. Which is what I'm doing now. I've already used my MFP budget, so that decision will not help my  weight loss goals, butt we will see . Maybe I will just have tea.

Did you all read the email from Steve Kamb?

He had the two rules of dieting

Burn more calories than you consume

Don't be miserable

I really liked this as it is exactly what I'm trying to do this challenge. Steve even used the Anger guy from Inside Out as a gif! He talked about how we have an inner toddler and if we let ourselves get hangry and are too restrictive we just get mad and then aren't likely to follow our plan. Steve was talking about having too big  deficit, but I think it can also be just giving too many rules. In my parenting experience, kids need boundaries and rules, but if you have too many rules , and they are just arbitrary, then kids are likely to rebel against that. Good parents have rules, but also give their kids a  certain amount of freedom. And that is how I need to treat my inner toddler. She can learn to wait, she isn't in control, but I won't push her past what she is ready to do.

And finally( yes my first post was even longer) I really appreciate how people said they get hungry too sometimes on weight loss. This is the big thing I'm trying to balance. A little bit of hunger is fine, but not so much I'm miserable.  And it helps my inner toddler to know that other's get  hungry and struggle too.

• Like 9

For those of you who are curious:

I decided against the chocolate chips. They are dark chocolate and one tablespoon is 70 calories, so when I have a craving they are a decent choice. But, I already had my cupcake, so I decided that if I want chocolate chips I can have them tomorrow. I was a bit hungry though. So, I had a pickle and then I will have some tea with collagen in it. The pickle was really good and it's crunchy salty helped  kill the chocolate craving

• Like 5

Pickles <3

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I really liked this as it is exactly what I'm trying to do this challenge. Steve even used the Anger guy from Inside Out as a gif! He talked about how we have an inner toddler and if we let ourselves get hangry and are too restrictive we just get mad and then aren't likely to follow our plan. Steve was talking about having too big  deficit, but I think it can also be just giving too many rules. In my parenting experience, kids need boundaries and rules, but if you have too many rules , and they are just arbitrary, then kids are likely to rebel against that. Good parents have rules, but also give their kids a  certain amount of freedom. And that is how I need to treat my inner toddler. She can learn to wait, she isn't in control, but I won't push her past what she is ready to do.

And finally( yes my first post was even longer) I really appreciate how people said they get hungry too sometimes on weight loss. This is the big thing I'm trying to balance. A little bit of hunger is fine, but not so much I'm miserable.  And it helps my inner toddler to know that other's get  hungry and struggle too.

I really enjoyed reading this! very good analogy. And I'm glad that we managed to help your inner toddler with the hunger issue :) 

It's also not just freedom.. it's about choice isn't it? Having an actual toddler I know that if I limit her freedom a lot while she doesn't notice it's no issue.. and I can give the feeling of a lot of freedom by offering simple choices (you want to wear this or this? do you want to eat the cupcake now or later? do you want to eat the chocolate chips or not go over budget?) as long as you see those as true options/choices then there is no need to rebel, just a need to make a choice. 

You're doing great! 

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I just wanted to say that the above words seems extremely wise, and thank you for writing it...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Pickles <3

I really enjoyed reading this! very good analogy. And I'm glad that we managed to help your inner toddler with the hunger issue :) 

It's also not just freedom.. it's about choice isn't it? Having an actual toddler I know that if I limit her freedom a lot while she doesn't notice it's no issue.. and I can give the feeling of a lot of freedom by offering simple choices (you want to wear this or this? do you want to eat the cupcake now or later? do you want to eat the chocolate chips or not go over budget?) as long as you see those as true options/choices then there is no need to rebel, just a need to make a choice. 

You're doing great! 

Thanks. Yes, good point.  Choices are a great way to make our inner toddler happy. But it has to be a real choice. My first thought to myself was "you can have the chocolate chips and fail at your goal today or skip  them" Which is a really BAD  choice, pretty much not a choice. So I reframed it and said "Why not wait a bit and see. And while I was waiting I thought about it and made my choice to Have the chocolate chips , which may make my weight loss slower,  or see if there is something else  that I would like for a snack. 

2 hours ago, Moros said:

I just wanted to say that the above words seems extremely wise, and thank you for writing it...

Thanks you. Glad my ramblings helped a bit.