• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl Has A Joy Filled Challenge

47 minutes ago, Defining said:

Unsweetened cocoa powder in hot water also helps to satisfy chocolate cravings! ;) 

Good idea. I could add a bit of stevia to it. 

I keep a few bars of dark chocolate in my desk at the office. To stave off cravings, I actually treat myself to a single square a day, Monday through Friday! It's a small "break" in the afternoon for me, where I can just sit still, enjoy the chocolate, and then continue on with my day. I like to buy the kind that's 75% cacao or higher (but not higher than 90 because then it's too bitter). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

I keep a few bars of dark chocolate in my desk at the office. To stave off cravings, I actually treat myself to a single square a day, Monday through Friday! It's a small "break" in the afternoon for me, where I can just sit still, enjoy the chocolate, and then continue on with my day. I like to buy the kind that's 75% cacao or higher (but not higher than 90 because then it's too bitter). 

My chocolate chips are 65% dark. I like them because nibbling on one chocolate chip at a time helps me enjoy it slowly,and I can portion it out into a one tablesppon size. I've done that with dark chocolate bars too, though I sometimes have a problem with eating more than one square. 

• Like 4

Goals:

Ate slow, didn't time it. I had a snack last night while I was staring at the computer. Today I had my  post workout protein shake while on the computer. Lunch has been great with no screen, snacks  so-so this week.

Finished my 8 week kettlebell program. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. My kettlebell book has more workouts I could do, and I could do a GMB program. Right now I'm thinking of doing the kettlebell program. It's only for four weeks.  I'm really enjoying lifting heavy stuff. And working on the crow gives me just enough skill practice to scratch that itch. But rings are cool! I don't think I want to do the full ring program though. 

I actually managed a full no feet touching crow yesterday! I have a video. I'll post it later.

On the weight front, the scale has only budged a couple of ounces. However, the really good news is I took measurements, and my belly and waist are the same measurement as when I weighed 118 (now at 121) Which means that over the fall and winter I did put on muscle. Now that I've lost a bit of weight, I can see that my shoulders do have a bit more muscle on them! I was sort of frustrated that I gained weight over the fall, but though some was fluff, a good amount was muscle too. I'm still going to lose a bit more weight, as I have a bit more love handles than I prefer. I think if I lost a bit more weight, I'd be more at ease if I put on muscle and gained a bit of weight. Not really sure on that. I'd like to build muscle. And they say to do that you have to eat  more than you move. Some people say you can do that on not gain any fluff, but my 50+ year old body doesn't get  that message. So, I'm not really sure how to do that. Right now my plan is to just lose a bit more, so if I gain some fluff , I still look good in shorts and a t-shirt.

Bit behind, but we have tickets for Endgame on Sunday afternoon, so I'm excited for that

• Like 6

Found you! It sounds like you're having some really good insights about food and cutting and handle the difficulties really well. Also yay for dem muscle gainz!

Nice crow work - are you remembering to breathe though? ;) 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Found you! It sounds like you're having some really good insights about food and cutting and handle the difficulties really well. Also yay for dem muscle gainz!

Nice crow work - are you remembering to breathe though? ;) 

No, I totally forget to breathe.:biggrin-new: I should hum or smile so that I don't forget. It doesn't help that my nose is totally congested from allergies either.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 3:46 AM, Elastigirl said:

Which means that over the fall and winter I did put on muscle.

Woot! Woot! and your 50+ year old body looks amazing! I would not mind at all, looking like do when I reach 50+.

Ok, I don't think I'd be able to do crow... at all. That took some serious arm strength and balance! Wow!

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:17 AM, KB Girl said:

Those are some lengthy holds! Way to go! :)

Thanks

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:12 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I just realized I haven't been following you this challenge! Following now~

Thanks

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, NicTheRugger said:

Congrats!!

Thanks

12 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Woot! Woot! and your 50+ year old body looks amazing! I would not mind at all, looking like do when I reach 50+.

Ok, I don't think I'd be able to do crow... at all. That took some serious arm strength and balance! Wow!

Thanks, I bet you could do crow if you were able to work on it some

• Like 1

Week 2:

Time myself and see how long it eats

goal 3 x a week; I did twice. hit about 18 minutes and 20 minutes. Interesting. I have the timer up and realize I'm halfway through my meal and it's only been five minutes, so it forces me to slow down. It feels about overly structured, so I probably won't do it 3 times this week either, but I will aim to do it a couple of times

Eating without a screen

4 x : Yes done and once without any distraction

Snacks, No distractions

Nope, I  had snacks while staring at the screen. I remembered the goal, I just didn't care enough. Not that I'm addicted to the screen or anything.:redface-new:

Weight : I lost a couple of ounces and about 1/4 inch on my hips and waist. I was hoping the scale would be a little less. However, I'm actually really pleased with my measurements. They are the same now at 121 pounds as when I weighed 118. Which means I have gained muscle. Also, when I was discouraged this winter because I had gained weight, a good portion of that was muscle. I think I am too overly critical of where I am fitness/ eating wise. I am so worried that I will slip into old habits, I fail to see all that good habits I've gained. I know I've said this before, but I need to keep reminding myself. I went into this deficit with the idea that I really needed to get back on track, and yes some things I'd become sloppy on ( eating too quickly) but I really an doing alright.

• Like 6

This weekend I saw Avengers:Endgame. It was so good.  I was worried about how long it was, that it would be way longer than my attention span, but it really did a good job of keeping me entertained the whole time. 

Yesterday:

It was a gorgeous sunny day. Ate my lunch outside on our deck while reading a book. We also ate dinner out on our deck. Birds were singing away, and it was very peaceful. I worked out. Took a video so I could form check, and realized I have much to work on. Tracked with MFP.

Workout Log

5/6

Workout

Warm up

3 sets of

2 KB press 1st set 15 and 25# (picked up wrong bell ) RPE 5

2nd and 3rd set 20 and 25 RPE 7/  6/4/4

SL deadlift 25 lb assisted and then 20 lb unassisted

3 sets of row/

25/30 /35 RPE 5 may switch to ring row

2 KB squat 20 and 25  3 /4/4 RPE 8

Farmer Carry 20 kg and 23 kg

Notes from video

With press- stand tall brace core don’t lean back

Sl deadlift, go down slow- the movement is coming from the legs not arm

• Like 5

On 5/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, Elastigirl said:

Which means I have gained muscle.

Yeeahhhhh! That's awesome!

And what a great workout! Keep up the great work :D 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, GoodDoug said:

Nicely done! Keep up the great work

Thanks

12 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Yeeahhhhh! That's awesome!

And what a great workout! Keep up the great work :D 

thanks

Yesterday my back was slightly sore. I have sometimes done  a light workout even on my off days. But since my back was sore, I just did some crow practice. I did however go for two walks, and did some gardening for a total of 19, 000 steps! I walked in the afternoon and then after dinner with hubby.  I also did some stretching. My back appreciated the walking and stretching and feels fine today.

I ate slow. I've been having lunch out on our deck , which is super nice. Tracked with MFP.

Today was my day to walk with my friend after our prayer time, so we did that . Came home and did my workout. I worked on my squat form, and making sure I kept a straight back, and didn't hunch my shoulders forward. Took some video, so I could form check. Overall, pretty happy with my form. A few things to focus on, but pretty decent. 

We talked about this on @@muthread, GMB has decided to discontinue their skill based programs (the Rings and paralettes and floor) if you've bought them, you can still use them, but they won't do any more updates, and their company is focusing more on ???? ( I didn't understand exactly what they were focusing on ) This has me pretty bummed. I really like their programs. They talked about how it was old and outdated, but I actually found it useful. Usually when people say something is old and outdated, I find the new product is just more complicated and harder to use. I understand as a company they need to find a product that will make money, and maybe they just didn't have enough people interested in the skill based programs, but it still makes me sad. And I always thought I'd buy their Rings 2 program or their P-2 program when I was ready, but they are going to stop selling it in a couple of weeks. And we don't have the money for me to buy it now, especially when I am not ready for it

My workout:

5/8

Crow practice

Goblet squat practice

Warm up

Then  2 sets of

Pull ups ¾ ¼ /1/4 negative

Splint lunge  5 per side

RPE 7

2sets of

Goblet squat 20 lb 5

Push up full and half 4

Swing  20 and then 25# 30 on/30 rest 4 min RPE 4

Carry 44 and 55 pounds across room and back

30 and 35 twice across room and back

Notes:

Goblet much improved form, worked on keeping shoulders back

• Like 4

This is sort of a Dear Diary log- as Elize likes to say. I just wanted to write out my feelings as a way to process.

We are cleaning out our garage (My big Goal) This week's project is going through the 8 boxes of books and notebooks that are stored in the garage, and trying to reduce it to 3 or 4 boxes. I homeschooled my son all the way through 12th grade. A lot of his work was notebook style, he made maps, and timelines , and lots of writing.  I told my son that I was going through the boxes and getting rid of a bunch of it, and he was totally fine with that. Last evening, I went through several notebooks. I did good, reduced three notebooks worth of stuff into two. But all the feels! I can't really Mari Kondo it, because ALL of it brings me joy. But that's when I look at it. It has been sitting in our garage for several years, and I haven't looked at it. In deciding what to keep, I want to keep a small sample of the different ages and work he did. That way we can look back and show him, or future grandkids, what he was like. So having it in just a couple of notebooks is way more practical. And I saved a bunch of his highschool writing. Brag alert- I didn't really think it at the time, but now looking back, he was actually a very good writer in highschool. We had just struggled so much with writing, that I missed how much he'd grown. So, I saved several final drafts of papers. But getting rid of the stuff was so hard. And putting it in the recycle bin was horrible. I felt like I rotten mom, my inner voice was telling me I must not care about my son(I did not accept this as truth, it was just what the feelings at the moment said) The rest of the evening I was just sad. Not sure why it is so hard, but it is. It will make so much more room in our garage. And if we want to look at his old schoolwork, having just a couple of notebooks to look through, is much more enjoyable. My feelings are lagging a bit behind the wisdom of  it though.

This afternoon I will be at it again!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I can't imagine how difficult reducing the amount of notebooks was for you. I'm proud of you for sticking with the process.

Thanks!  I appreciate the encouragement.

I finished all the sorting. Went from 8 boxes to 2 boxes of books. And about 7 notebooks down to 3. I have  a notebook of early childhood, middle, and high school. I think the amount is very nice. We can look through it and have special memories, but it doesn't take up a bunch of space. It was much easier the second day. Still hard to make choices, but the emotions weren't so intense. A little bit teary, as there were  some things in it his grandma  ( my mom) had made for him, but it was a good teary. It was easier the second day because I could see the notebooks coming together, and how having a smaller amount would actually make it more special to go through. I kept certain things he had written that captured his personality at each age. One of the things I kept was a paragraph on his favorite sandwich and how to make it. You ask what his favorite sandwich was? Why cheese, salami, and peanut butter of course.:friendly_wink:

• Like 6

Great job going through that stuff. It seems like you were very true to the Mari Kondo ideal in that you respected and acknowledged the value of each thing, even the things you let go of.

Sorry that GMB is discontinuing the programs. Hopefully it will be an opportunity to find something different to try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Great job going through that stuff. It seems like you were very true to the Mari Kondo ideal in that you respected and acknowledged the value of each thing, even the things you let go of.

Sorry that GMB is discontinuing the programs. Hopefully it will be an opportunity to find something different to try.

Thanks.

I hope that I like GMB's new programs. I'm a bit skeptical since they said they are going away from their skill  , which is what I liked and made them different. But maybe, we shall see

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:03 PM, Elastigirl said:

But getting rid of the stuff was so hard. And putting it in the recycle bin was horrible.

Oh I understand that so well! *hugs*

On 5/9/2019 at 10:03 PM, Elastigirl said:

Not sure why it is so hard, but it is.

He has grown up, you've gone through it without realising it, taking things in stride and adapting on the fly, so to speak. But suddenly you were back there "in the days" and you remembered those times. Like a part of you realised your little boy is no more. Hurt because you have to say goodbye to that part? But you are one awesome amazing mom! And he is the wonderful son he is today because of all the hard work you and hubby put in.

I can't imagine cheese, salami and peanut butter together on one sandwich... I just can't. :D

Well done on getting things sorted in the garage *hugs*.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh I understand that so well! *hugs*

He has grown up, you've gone through it without realising it, taking things in stride and adapting on the fly, so to speak. But suddenly you were back there "in the days" and you remembered those times. Like a part of you realised your little boy is no more. Hurt because you have to say goodbye to that part? But you are one awesome amazing mom! And he is the wonderful son he is today because of all the hard work you and hubby put in.

I can't imagine cheese, salami and peanut butter together on one sandwich... I just can't. :D

Well done on getting things sorted in the garage *hugs*.

Thanks. Yes, it is hard sometimes to say good bye to that part. Even though I am super happy with where we are in our lives right now.  My son is wonderful, and I love our relationship now. But still I miss those days a bit. Some of the things I threw away were his map work- he loved doing that sort of thing like your boys did. I kept some though,

He can't remember that sandwich. :smile-new:

• Like 1