• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi all. Let’s give this 4-week challenge a go. 

1 - Workout 3 times a week

2 - Drink alcohol a maximum 8 nights during the 4 weeks

3 - Research nutrition in order to lose fat but keep (or even gain?) muscle

4 - Sit down and figure out medium/long- term finances

• Like 2

Welcome to the rebellion!

I was confused as to how you were working 8 days into a 7 day week until the coffee caught up to my brain. That's a great concept of breaking your drinking days down into lives. Look forward to seeing how the challenge goes!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam_Backhouse said:

Thanks for the link Squeakyvalkyrie. Very helpful. 

Anytime I have questions about fitness or nutrition stuff, I search the NerdFitness blog first, Steve has generally written a long well researched article on it!

Welcome to the rebellion!  How long have you been working with rings?  I am thinking about getting some, but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.

19 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Welcome to the rebellion!  How long have you been working with rings?  I am thinking about getting some, but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.

It's like mentioning rings casts some sort of assassin summoning spell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks WhiteGhost. I have been using them once a week since around October. They are hard work but lots of fun (if you like that sort of thing!). I’m trying to work towards a muscle up but it is a LOOOONG way off at the moment. They have a set where I work out but I will probably buy a set for home in the next few months. I think I need to commit a bit more time to them to make improvements. 

• Like 1

Day 3

Slightly lacklustre workout at home today. 

8 lives remain but a friend is coming to stay tomorrow so that is likely to change!

Tracked my calories today on MyFitnessPal just to find out how much I’m eating. I realised I often don’t eat enough protein. I also remembered how dull tracking food is! :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adam_Backhouse said:

Day 3

8 lives remain but a friend is coming to stay tomorrow so that is likely to change!

Is each night a life or is each drink a life?

17 hours ago, Grumble said:

Is each night a life or is each drink a life?

Each night will be a life. 

I’m not really limiting the booze due to calories (more often than not, my drink of choice is neat whisky so not too calorific as far as alcohol goes), more trying to improve the quality of my sleep. With a baby and toddler in the house, sleep is quite precious at the moment! 

• Like 2

So I have allowed my challenge to be somewhat derailed by a friend (and their 3 year old) visiting for a few days.  This is a bit of an excuse rather than a reason but our house has been busier than normal and they have flown to visit us.

1 - No workouts completed since Wednesday.  I have been active running after and carrying toddlers and managed to sneak in a few lengths of swimming in but nothing that I'd regard as a workout.  Back to work tomorrow: heading to the gym for some barbell training for the first time in almost 3 weeks.  

2 - Down to 5 lives - oops!

Tomorrow is the start of a new week and I plan to do much better than this week. 

Hope everyone else has got through the first weekend slightly better than I have!

• Like 3

Day 9

ouch!

1 - so definitely have sore legs from squats yesterday. I also have a weird sore area in my lower ribs. Maybe from lat pull downs?  I think I’ll avoid working out tomorrow and try to do Thursday and Friday instead. 

2 - no alcohol so far but tempted by a brewski to go with the big game tonight. COYS!

• Like 2

Day 12 - getting into a groove

1 - I fitted in a second workout of the week yesterday - worked on gymnastic rings and handstands.  Posted a video on the facebook group and got some helpful feedback from the master so that's great too.  Plan to do some barbell training this afternoon.

2 - still no alcohol this week and considering keeping that going throughout the weekend - my sleep is much better for it so that makes me happy

3 - have started some reading about this which has lead on to more reading scheduled.  No plan as yet but I'm ok with that for now.

4 - Short/medium-term finances are back in check, which feels good.  Next week I plan to look at medium/long-term finances.  Family is off to visit my in-laws so I will have a LOT more time to get some jobs done in the evenings.

• Like 3

Day 14

1 - I have managed to get my 3 workouts in this week.  Friday was barbell training - OHP, deadlifts, BB rows.  Arms felt a bit sore by the end after the ring training the day before and trying to add in some extra pull ups at the end of Friday's workout.  Hopefully they will be feeling better for workout on Monday.

2 - Round a friend's house for play date and dinner so there was definitely some beer and wine and ice wine (first time I tried it - I don't think I'll be rushing back to it) drunk by the adults so down to 4 lives now.  That's ok - halfway and half the lives gone.  

3 - My reading has been inconclusive so far.  More to do.  I feel that I'm going to need to do some calorie tracking as I worry that I eat too inconsistently and have a tendency to under eat.  I'm not thrilled about the tracking but hopefully it will just become a habit.

4 - Plan to look into longer-term finances in final week of challenge.  What fun! :( 

• Like 4

Day 16 - brief update 

1. Worked out yesterday (bench, squats, pull ups). Legs were still sore from Friday but the squats seem to have loosened them up a bit. Upper arms still feel a bit tired. 

2. 4 lives still in tact. 

Plodding through the week. 

• Like 3

Day 18 update

1. Worked out yesterday using rings but biceps were pretty sore. Ended up focusing on handstands instead. Found a great stretch for biceps on AthleanX so using that a bit to try and shift this. My wife and kids are visiting family in England for a week so I have the chance to go bouldering on Saturday. I’m trying to make sure my arms will withstand more than 1 climb!

2. 4 lives. A weekend without any responsibilities approaches though! Gulp. 

• Like 3

Day 19 

Barbell training in the morning felt great. Half court basketball after work with colleagues (yep, 5’7 British guy trying to play basketball!) was exhausting. 

Too tired to consume any lives so still have 4. 

• Like 1

Day 20

Didn't make it bouldering - getting life jobs done took over. I did get a tattoo though! I guess that means I’ll need to avoid the gym for a few days. 

Off out for the evening so will definitely be drinking. 

92BF1928-B0DE-47AB-98B5-F7F63C4A8B04.jpeg

• Like 3

Day 21

1 - No exercise this weekend.

2 - Definitely did some drinking last night.  I might even class it as two lives lost.

3&4 - I really need to get going with these next week.  

Time to detox.

• Like 1

Day 22

1 - No exercise for me for a couple more days so I did some yoga this morning.  I don't regularly do yoga but really enjoy it when I do.  Maybe this is something to think about for a future 4 week challenge.

2 - Steering well clear of alcohol today thank you very much!

3&4 - Starting tomorrow - head is still a bit fuggy from the weekend's antics so I don't think tonight is a good time to be thinking about this.

I think this is the last week of the challenge - it's gone so quickly!

• Like 2