• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

fitbyforty

fitbyforty's first challenge

Hi everyone!  This is my first challenge here.  I'm a 37 year old mom of two.  I'm at my heaviest weight to date (260 lbs). I love lifting weights and I started with starting strength, but after a car wreck, a foot injury, and gaining weight back I let my gym membership go and continued to gain.  It's been a couple of years since I was eating well and exercising, and I can feel it.  My back hurts easily (partially from the wreck, partially from the weight) and I am really out of shape.  I am morbidly obese and I  sit all of the time because of my job, so exercising and eating better is a life or death situation for me.  I'd really like to turn things around before it gets even more difficult to do so.

Long term goals

- lose 125 lbs by the time I'm 40 (in a little over 2 and a half years) and be living a more active and healthy life.

- participate in spartan races by the time I turn 40.

Challenge Goals

- only drink water, coffee, Gatorade zero (no cokes or juice)

- Go to the gym at least 3 times a week

- no fast food

- take breaks from my work to stretch throughout the day

- journal daily

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Welcome to the rebellion!

These are good challenges!

What is your plan for removing fast food? 

Thanks, I'm really glad I decided to do this.  The plan for fast food is to keep a pack of individual mixed nuts in my car for times I'm out and about or if my spouse wants to hit up a drive through.  Breakfast is normally the time I end up stopping for fast food, so I'm keeping low sugar oatmeal on hand so I know I have an easy breakfast before I do carpool or when I get home from the gym. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a plan. Just don't try to replace everything at once (unless that's your personality type and what works for you). 

Day one of the challenge was a success.  I was able to meet all of my goals, now I just need to keep it going.  I do need to drink more water, but it was a good start.  

Today's Workout (lbs) (short rests)

Leg press (with free weight leg press, not band) - 180x12, 180x10, 180x 8

Adduction- 100x9, 100x5, 100x5 

Abduction - 115x12, 115x10, 115x8 

Back extension - 100x10, 100x10, 100x6

Hydromassage bed 10 mins 

Note: I cut the workout short after back extensions because I could not get my lower back to loosen up.  I'll redo the order next lower workout so I can finish

• Like 2

Long term goals

- lose 125 lbs by the time I'm 40 (in a little over 2 and a half years) and be living a more active and healthy life.

- participate in spartan races by the time I turn 40.

This is an awesome goal!  It’s something I’d love to do one day too. 

Challenge Goals

- only drink water, coffee, Gatorade zero (no cokes or juice)

- Go to the gym at least 3 times a week

- no fast food

- take breaks from my work to stretch throughout the day

- journal daily

19 hours ago, Grumble said:

Sounds like a plan. Just don't try to replace everything at once (unless that's your personality type and what works for you). 

I’m just going to echo what Grumble said. I don’t know how often you eat fast food or drink coke/juice, but if it’s something that you do (or did) fairly regularly until now then it might be too much to cut them out completely in one go.  Usually this works for a short time, then your motivation takes that little wobble and before you know it you’re back doing it, and feeling like a failure (been there, got that t-shirt!).  

The trick to changing your habits is to take baby steps, for example  - if you normally drink coke/juice then you could try only drinking it at the weekend as a way to cut down, or only allowing yourself 1 coke per day.  That way you don’t have to go completely cold turkey, which is really difficult to do. 

At at the end of the day it comes down to you and your personality, as Grumble said.  If you feel that it’s easier to go cold turkey than to cut down then that is obviously the way to go.  What I’d like to get across is that if you find yourself unable to keep to these goals then don’t think that you have failed, you simply need to adjust your goals to make them more sustainable.  Failure can be very good, because it is often a better teacher than success. 

Good of luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

This is an awesome goal!  It’s something I’d love to do one day too. 

I’m just going to echo what Grumble said. I don’t know how often you eat fast food or drink coke/juice, but if it’s something that you do (or did) fairly regularly until now then it might be too much to cut them out completely in one go.  Usually this works for a short time, then your motivation takes that little wobble and before you know it you’re back doing it, and feeling like a failure (been there, got that t-shirt!).  

The trick to changing your habits is to take baby steps, for example  - if you normally drink coke/juice then you could try only drinking it at the weekend as a way to cut down, or only allowing yourself 1 coke per day.  That way you don’t have to go completely cold turkey, which is really difficult to do. 

At at the end of the day it comes down to you and your personality, as Grumble said.  If you feel that it’s easier to go cold turkey than to cut down then that is obviously the way to go.  What I’d like to get across is that if you find yourself unable to keep to these goals then don’t think that you have failed, you simply need to adjust your goals to make them more sustainable.  Failure can be very good, because it is often a better teacher than success. 

Good of luck with your challenge!

Thank you both, it really is great to get input from others.  I find it difficult to get started, so making a splash helps me jump start things.  These were things that I had previously cut out and had let them creep back in once I stopped going to the gym.  For some reason, if I'm not working out regularly, my food choices suck too. The cokes and juice were coming from fast food stops for breakfast and afternoon snacks, so I have made a better plan for breakfast and I'm getting my husband and oldest son a protein bar for their after work snack.  As long as I don't force myself to stop my morning coffee, the cokes and juice aren't an issue.  They had just started becoming a mindless habit.  The gym is the easy part, if I'm lifting I'm happy, even if I am having to start from a crawl.  After day one, it seems like the hardest one will be to get up and stretch, so I'm setting alexa to remind me.  My next challenge I will be dialing my diet in better, but right now I'm just trying to make good choices each meal and not mindlessly eat.  As for that Spartan race, get after it :)  They look like so much fun!   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fitbyforty said:

These were things that I had previously cut out and had let them creep back in once I stopped going to the gym.  For some reason, if I'm not working out regularly, my food choices suck too.

Ugh, yeah!  Been there too, lol! :D  I think sometimes it’s like a viscous circle/virtuous circle thing.  The more you do of “Thing A” the easier it is to do “Thing B” but the less you do “Thing A” the harder it is to do “Thing B”.  Which, when you consider that the less you do one thing the more important it is to do the other, just plain old sucks! 

As long as I don't force myself to stop my morning coffee, the cokes and juice aren't an issue.  They had just started becoming a mindless habit.

That’s a really good place to start then!  I always find that eating healthier and exercising get easier the more you do it so cutting out the stuff now that doesn’t matter so much helps to make it easier to say no to something really good further down the line. :D 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StillStar said:

Me too! cubicle jobs are so tough on your body...

Yes they are.  I work from home but I'm at my computer 8-10 hours a day, more on weekends sometimes.  I get in the zone and forget to get up and move around.  

46 minutes ago, fitbyforty said:

Yes they are.  I work from home but I'm at my computer 8-10 hours a day, more on weekends sometimes.  I get in the zone and forget to get up and move around.  

I just got my company to order me a standing desk. I'm already feeling the difference in standing just a few more hours a day. If it's something you can do, look into it.

IF NOT, and I realized this is not feasibly for most people not working for a big corporation or a spend heavy startup, schedule a walk around time every couple of hours. Set an alarm, involve a coworker to go with you and hold each other accountable, whatever you think will work for you.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

I just got my company to order me a standing desk. I'm already feeling the difference in standing just a few more hours a day. If it's something you can do, look into it.

IF NOT, and I realized this is not feasibly for most people not working for a big corporation or a spend heavy startup, schedule a walk around time every couple of hours. Set an alarm, involve a coworker to go with you and hold each other accountable, whatever you think will work for you.

Oh man, that's awesome they got you a standing desk!  I've been eyeing the varidesk so I can sit or stand and easily switch between the two.  I'm a one woman operation, so haven't wanted to spend the money, but I'm thinking I might make the leap soon. 

Oh man, that's awesome they got you a standing desk!  I've been eyeing the varidesk so I can sit or stand and easily switch between the two.  I'm a one woman operation, so haven't wanted to spend the money, but I'm thinking I might make the leap soon. 

I got myself a standing desk when I started working from home - well, I’m using a couple of ikea Stuva drawer units with a desk surface laid across the top. I got myself a barstool to go with it- so I could either stand or sit down. If a new desk is out of your budget you could consider getting a ball - sorry I don’t know the technical word in English, where I saw them they were just called a medicine ball. Because it moves when you move, you need to engage your core more to stabilise yourself, so it’s more like active sitting. Probably a chunk cheaper than buying new furniture...

• Like 2

Holy shirtballs, we have similar goals! I'm rooting for you! <3

Although cutting out full-calorie sodas and fast food aren't in my challenge goals, I've been trying to make them a reality, nevertheless, for about the last 2-3 weeks. I've cut out full-cal sodas by chugging water and the occasional seltzer or diet soda instead, and I've avoided fast food by buying quick-fix salad mixes and meals from the freezer section (Birdseye Protein Blends and Atkins). Idk if that would fit into your lifestyle at all, but it's what has helped me!

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone stopping by and giving motivation or advice. :)

Day 2 was successful.  I am resting tomorrow as far as gym goes.  My whole body is sore.  Friday I am going to do a  full body circuit to try it out and that will be my 3 days at the gym this week.  I posted in the weightlifting area about programs so maybe someone can suggest something. I'm fine with winging it for now, but I do like to have a program to follow and then add to if I want.

Today I forgot my notebook for the gym, so I didn't get the weights, but I did 3 sets of each

Chest press (machine)

lat pulldown (cable)

shoulder press (machine) I will not do that again because I'm short and the range of motion didn't seem right for me no matter how I adjusted. I'll use dbs next time. 

stability ball transfer crunches

stretching

I am still having trouble drinking enough water, but I'm working on that. 

I've been making good food choices. 

I didn't intend to weigh until the end because I want to focus on changing habits, but I did today and I have lost 7 lbs in two days.  I know this is mostly water weight and it will balance out by next week or so.  It still made me feel good to see it going in the opposite direction than it has been though. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kidschala said:

Congrats on Day 2! As a heads up, you can use an app like 5x5 Strength to keep track of your weights, reps, and progress on mobile. :)

Yea, if you're doing stronglifts the app is the way to go. If you're not it can be kind of limiting. There are several other tracking apps, this link has a pretty good list of the best ones, and I've used all of the android ones in the past with varying success (more than happy to give you my impression of them if you want) but tend to stick to JeFit because I've been using it the longest and have added dozens of unique exercises.

I posted in the weightlifting area about programs so maybe someone can suggest something. I'm fine with winging it for now, but I do like to have a program to follow and then add to if I want.

Am I right in saying that you said in your intro that you prefer to use machines rather than free weights?  

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

Man I right in saying that you said in your intro that you prefer to use machines rather than free weights?  

opposite, I love freeweights, just have a limited gym right now .  grrrrr  I hope I didn't write that backward somewhere.  I no longer have access to a free weight bb, only dbs, machines, cables, smiths machine. 

Day 3 has been full of Doms De De De Doms!!!!  arrrrgh! 

Unless some miracle happens, I'm probably not gymming tomorrow.  Week one will have to be 2 gym trips instead of 3 and I can do mon,wed, fri next week.  If I'm only a little sore, I'll go ahead and do the circuit.  I got some really good information from @Defining on putting together a program so i'm going to spend the weekend choosing my lifts/exercises, picking an order, and watching videos of a couple I haven't done before.  Today I made some Lentil, kale, carrot, and pumpkin soup and it was really good.  I also started a thread in the recipe section to keep up with my plant based recipes. I did better with water today.  I did good with stretching.  I failed on my fast food goal today.  I had a chicken biscuit at breakfast with water and no hashbrowns.  I did better at lunch with my kale soup, and I had the soup again for supper.  Overall my calories were low today.  I ended up with about 1000 so far. I will most likely be up a while and have something else to eat, but not forcing it if I don't need something. Drinking more water has been an adjustment and Ive been feeling really bloated from it.  My husband and son's schedule was different this morning and will be again tomorrow so i'm planning to get up in time to eat some oatmeal before I leave.  I'm failing up at least.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, fitbyforty said:

opposite, I love freeweights, just have a limited gym right now .  grrrrr  I hope I didn't write that backward somewhere.  I no longer have access to a free weight bb, only dbs, machines, cables, smiths machine. 

No, it’s probably just my dodgy memory, lol! :D 

6 hours ago, fitbyforty said:

Day 3 has been full of Doms De De De Doms!!!!  arrrrgh! 

Unless some miracle happens, I'm probably not gymming tomorrow. 

Muwhaha! :devilish:  We actually have a word for Doms in Shetland, it’s called “speggie” which is a wonderful word that can function as a noun or an adjective.   So you can “have really bad speggie”, or you can “be really speggied”. 

I also started a thread in the recipe section to keep up with my plant based recipes.

Ooooh!  Want to do a swapsie?  I have loads of plant based recipes, I think I’m going to try and make that an official goal next challenge. We could even do a PvP (person vs person) challenge based on it if you wanted. 

I'm failing up at least.

Exactly!  It’s all about improvement, not perfection. :encouragement:

• Like 2