• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

crashy

Get up. Dust off. Reload. Re-calibrate. Re-engage.

Hey Team,

Where to start! The TLDR version is that I had shoulder surgery at the start of February and I'm finally now able to get back to exercising "properly".

Now for the long version, I'm 34, 6"0', 105Kgs, married, father of a 2 year old boy, soon-to-be father of a little girl. I've tried a few challenges on NF before, generally in the Rangers guild, but think that it wasn't the place for me. After having a long think about where I want to focus my next 6-12 months recovery it's definitely lifting some heavy iron, but I want to add in some cardio and mobility to increase my lifting ability.

Prior to my op, there were my best lifts (copied from my Beyond the Whiteboard app)

Lift Date Result From Workout
Deadlift September 06, 2018 1 rep @ 150 kg Deadlift : 1x1
Back Squat December 06, 2018 2 reps @ 115 kg Back Squat : 2-2-2-2-2
Front Squat October 22, 2018 2 reps @ 100 kg Front Squat : 2-2-2-2-2
Overhead Squat December 03, 2018 6 reps @ 70 kg AMRAP 3 mins: Rows, Overhead Squats and Burpee Over Bars
Thruster September 15, 2018 2 reps @ 80 kg Thruster : 2 Rep Max
Strict Press July 23, 2018 3 reps @ 60 kg Strict Press 5-3-2-5-3-2
Push Press July 25, 2018 1 rep @ 80 kg Push Press : 1 Rep Max
Push Jerk November 12, 2018 2 reps @ 90 kg Push Jerk 2-2-2-2-1
Power Snatch August 20, 2018 1 rep @ 65 kg Power Snatch 1-1-1
Clean October 22, 2018 1 rep @ 100 kg Clean : 1 Rep Max
Clean & Jerk December 31, 2018 1 rep @ 90 kg Clean & Jerk : 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1
Bench Press August 12, 2017 5 reps @ 80 kg Bench Press 5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

As you can probably tell from the above, I'm a CrossFitter, but more because they offer the best place to lift weights. I've put my membership on hold since my Op, and am wanting to get back there hopefully from June, but in the meantime I have a commercial gym membership to get some practice in until then. And since most places have CrossFit haters, which is cool, each to their own, I mainly go there to lift heavy, the cardio side of it I'm not massively great at. This is why I previously said Rangers, but think that it should really be Warriors as that's where my passion lies.

So the above is all good and well, happy days. Now I'm trying to get back there, which I think is going to take me atleast the rest of 2019 to do. I've tried to do as much as I can, but generally have just been a lazy mother trucker. It's still problematic to do some of the exercises since my shoulder isn't fully mobile yet.

Based on my last 2 weeks my lifts are:

1. Deadlift - 5RM - 60Kgs (this was super light, just testing my arm)

2. Back Squat - 10RM - 50Kgs (this was on the Smith machine since I can't hold the bar on my back properly)

3. Front Squat - 5RM - 40Kgs (this also felt light, was just sore resting the back on my shoulder)

4. Strict Press - 3RM - 20Kgs (yup, just the bar, it was brutal to do)

Not a great start, but getting there, and I'm happy that it's going to be a long journey.

So that's the long story of where I am, and here are my goals for this challenge:

1. Track Calories - My main reason for picking up weight is bad eating. Track calories in MFP for the month

2. Mobility - Spend time every single day to stretch out my shoulder to get my range of motion back. Additional stretching of the body and foam rollers are a bonus

3. Cardio - Run 5k atleast once a week. Aim to do it in less than 30 minutes. 

4. Lift - Where possible. Based on where I am, I'm going to try do StrongLifts 5x5 for this challenge. Mainly since those are the only lifts I can really do.

5. Learn - Educate myself in something (to be decided soon)

6. OPTIONAL - Early Start - Wake up at 4:30AM as often as possible. Use this time for gym, mobility or learning.

Anyways, so the above might not quite be all warrior goals, but they're shorter terms goals to reach my end warrior goals.

Looking forward to joining the guild, and reading about everyone else's challenge

• Like 1

Welcome! You don't have to have exclusively warriorish goals. Those original numbers look pretty awesome (did you do nine sets of bench presses in one go??? Ouch). Hopefully you'll heal up and see some rapid progress. 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Welcome! You don't have to have exclusively warriorish goals. Those original numbers look pretty awesome (did you do nine sets of bench presses in one go??? Ouch). Hopefully you'll heal up and see some rapid progress. 

Thanks, glad to be here! Hah yeah did 9 sets of that bench press, although I seldom actually do it (as you can see that date is Aug 2017)

Welcome to the Warriors!

tumblr_inline_nyp7b25PgQ1tirgka_500.gif

Being a warrior does not mean having only warrior goals. I spent the last 6 months training for a marathon and we all know warriors are not build for distance. We are natural sprinters.

Having played the shoulder surgery game, I feel you on the rehabilitation. Take it easy, and PLEASE listen to your body. Don't finish out a rep or a set if anything starts to gripe at you beyond the regular muscle ache. End the lift and call it a session. And don't let it feel like you're quitting. You're preserving your long term health.

Welcome! Injuries are a bummer but it's great to see that you're not letting it take you completely out of the game. Stronglifts sounds like a great way to come back. I also use Stronglifts to come back any time I fall off the wagon, or am yanked directly by the shoulder off of the wagon. Those are some good strong opening warrior numbers and I look forward to watching them grow safely and smartly.

Week 1 : Tuesday

1. Track Calories - Captured in MFP. Didn't eat like a dickhead. 2100 calories

2. Mobility - Spent some time while at gym on shoulder mobility.

3. Cardio - None 

4. Lift - Front Squat 5x5x40kgs, Shoulder Press 5x3x20Kgs (pretty tough)

5. Learn - Did not do any learning. Listened to fantasy audiobooks and watched GoT

6. OPTIONAL - Early Start - Woke up at 4:30 and went to the gym. #fleks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crashy said:

Week 1 : Tuesday

1. Track Calories - Captured in MFP. Didn't eat like a dickhead. 2100 calories

2. Mobility - Spent some time while at gym on shoulder mobility.

3. Cardio - None 

4. Lift - Front Squat 5x5x40kgs, Shoulder Press 5x3x20Kgs (pretty tough)

I was rereading your challenge. And let me speak frankly. Fuck people who hate on your preferred fitness type. Do crossfit style workouts at a non crossfit gym, so long as you follow that gyms rules (no dropping the weights, etc). Except for kipping pullups. I will always make fun of kipping pullups.

5. Learn - Did not do any learning. Listened to fantasy audiobooks and watched GoT

I agree that learning is good, but really doesn't get much better than fantasy audiobooks and GoT. Related, whatcha listening to?

6. OPTIONAL - Early Start - Woke up at 4:30 and went to the gym. #fleks.

I woke up at 4:30 and played KH3 for an hour and a half til I left for work. I feel like you were more productive with your time and I should (but probably won't) emulate you.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2019 at 3:12 AM, crashy said:

And since most places have CrossFit haters

I suspect a lot of the hate has to do with the people who call themselves CrossFit and use that as an excuse to block five or six stations or machines for their circuit, that they insist on doing during the gym's peak hours. And the problem with this type of gym person is not the CrossFit, it's that they're a self-absorbed asshole.

Welcome to the Guild! Please do baby your shoulder as it heals. Slow and steady wins that race.

13 hours ago, Grumble said:

I agree that learning is good, but really doesn't get much better than fantasy audiobooks and GoT. Related, whatcha listening to?

My audiobooks are basically either sci-fi fantasy or self help. At the moment I'm listening to Galaxy's Edge (sci-fi), on book 3 of about 5. Previous books were Expeditionary Force series (sci-fi), Extreme Ownership (self help), Can't Hurt Me (self help / autobiography), We Are Bob series (sci-fi). Chasing Excellence (self help), Unbeatable Mind (self help), Ready Player One (sci-fi), Living with a Seal (self help). There are a few others, but those are the notable ones. Do you listen to audiobooks?

13 hours ago, Grumble said:

I feel like you were more productive with your time and I should (but probably won't) emulate you

Thanks, you managed to catch me on a good morning. Doesn't always happen like that!

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

excuse to block five or six stations or machines for their circuit

People who do this need to be stabbed.

Week 1 : Wednesday

1. Track Calories - Captured in MFP. Didn't eat like a dickhead. 2200 calories

2. Mobility - None. Lame.

3. Cardio - Ran 7kms at lunch with a guy from work.

4. Lift - Negative, did not get to the gym.

5. Learn - Went with my wife to a Marriage Enrichment course. I'm going to chalk this up as learning.

6. OPTIONAL - Early Start - Didn't wake up early =/

• Like 2

What an asshole. Me.

So this weekend I didn't do anything that was massively productive and I ate like a dickhead. The best I managed to get done was some gardening, which to be fair is actually a ton of cardio as I was digging stones out of the ground and carrying heavy bags around the place.

Anyways, as the title of this post says. Get up. Dust off. Reload. Re-calibrate. Re-engage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crashy said:

What an asshole. Me.

So this weekend I didn't do anything that was massively productive and I ate like a dickhead. 

Oy! Would you talk to us like that if we didn't meet our goals for the week? Anyway, it doesn't tell us why you didn't hit your goals. Feeling tired? Distracted? Busy? Anyway, it's only one weekend. I'm sure week 2 will be better.

• Like 2