• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi everyone,

I'm a total noob to NF. I didn't want to miss the first challenge, and I did actually start yesterday - had a good nosey around the website first, then the couple of mailshots from Steve.

I found NF a few years ago when my nerd buddy was determined to get fit (and I was reeelatively active, training for a 10k). I came across Steve's book and sent it over to my friend. I kept thinking I wish I'd bought two, but never got round to getting a copy for myself (yet) and nerd buddy has been very silent on the subject, so I may still get that one back :)

I'm not sure where I fall on the nerd spectrometer. Twenty years ago I was MUDding my life away and had to go cold turkey. I'm not allowed anywhere near Final Fantasy (VII, VIII or IX) for fear of total meltdown. I am in pieces waiting for Endgame to be released. I grew up on Asimov, Arthur C Clarke and Frank Herbert, but don't ask me any questions because I'm 44 and my brain is mush. 

Life has seriously gotten in the way of me prioritising myself, especially since 2016, and I recently got scared into picking myself up and choosing to make time for my health. My aims for this challenge are:

- get used to being more active and making time for my physical and mental wellbeing, namely:

- do the beginners bodyweight workout at least twice per week

- fast 22hrs at least once per week

- meditate for at least 15mins at least once per week (i.e. actually use the Headspace app I downloaded three weeks ago)

also:

- get out of my comfort zone: try one new activity during the next four weeks

- make the time: I need to sell my business, which is not working for me or the way I want to live. So I want to complete work on my next output by the end of the challenge, notify my franchisor that I'm done and look forward to that all important June 1st deadline with a clear conscience

Here goes!

• Like 4

Hello!

You mentioned meditating using the Headspace app. I'd love to get into meditating, but it didn't make my quest list this time. Have you already tried this app? Do you like it?

Also, do you have a new activity in mind to try? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StillStar said:

I am in pieces waiting for Endgame to be released. I grew up on Asimov, Arthur C Clarke and Frank Herbert, but don't ask me any questions because I'm 44 and my brain is mush.

only 44? ;) 

Welcome to the rebellion 

• Like 1

Day 1: 

Walked 8k. Bit stupid, but it was an unusually sunny day, I had good tunes blasting and just felt like keeping going.  Felt it afterwards, mind.

Day 2:

Did the beginner's bodyweight workout. Thought I was gonna die. Never done a workout like that before and it totally shows. Had to do the pushups against the kitchen counter and almost didn't complete all 3 sets of those... also did my first fast day yesterday and note to self: do not fast on the same day as doing the workout. My stomach was not happy. Also today: 7yr old notices pull-up bar in doorframe for the first time since it's been there (for two weeks, ostensibly to stretch my back, but hey, being able to do a pull up would be cool, right?), gets a little over enthusiastic, pulls a stool over so she doesn't need my help to reach it, forgets that she's not ACTUALLY in the playground and jumps up, smacking her head a wallop off the top of the door frame. Note to self: it's all fun and games 'til someone smacks their head on the doorframe...

Day 3: ouch. Oh, and ouch. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, StillStar said:

but don't ask me any questions because I'm 44 and my brain is mush

Hey, were the same age :) 

Welcome to the rebellion!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, StillStar said:

- get out of my comfort zone: try one new activity during the next four weeks

Is this one activity over the course of the challenge or a new activity each week?

Hi and welcome! I'm completely new here too :)  Thanks for stopping by my challenge post.  Sounds like you're off to a good start.  I can't imagine trying to fast and workout yikes! 

21 hours ago, StillStar said:

Life has seriously gotten in the way of me prioritising myself, especially since 2016, and I recently got scared into picking myself up and choosing to make time for my health. My aims for this challenge are:

- get used to being more active and making time for my physical and mental wellbeing, namely: 

I so understand this and wish you the best in having that change in mindset. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Is this one activity over the course of the challenge or a new activity each week?

Thanks, Grumble! I'm very risk averse so a new activity over the course of the challenge will do me for now I think ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hey, were the same age :) 

Thanks, WhiteGhost! Not sure how I feel about being 44, but the number looks alright on the page :chuncky:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fitbyforty said:

Hi and welcome! I'm completely new here too :)  Thanks for stopping by my challenge post.  Sounds like you're off to a good start.  I can't imagine trying to fast and workout yikes! 

I so understand this and wish you the best in having that change in mindset. 

Thanks, fitbyforty, best to you too. We can do this!

• Like 1

The end of day 3:

Despite my legs feeling like I was kicked by a horse, I managed a short swim while my daughter was in having her lesson. Tried to do lots of stretches while she played after the lesson, no idea if that was right or not.

I know we're "breaking down" muscle, but I really wasn't expecting it to hurt SO MUCH.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StillStar said:

I know we're "breaking down" muscle, but I really wasn't expecting it to hurt SO MUCH.

Yeah, the first bit is always the worst, I guess that's our bodies saying "HOOOOOOLD UP! I'm not used to that and I'm NOT comfortable!"

Also, hello and congrats on the progress! Keep up the motivation! ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StillStar said:

The end of day 3:

Despite my legs feeling like I was kicked by a horse, I managed a short swim while my daughter was in having her lesson. Tried to do lots of stretches while she played after the lesson, no idea if that was right or not.

Stillstar, meet DOMS.

DOMS, meet Stillstar.

Sounds like you'll become good friends.

What's your warmup and cooldown look like?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Grumble said:

Stillstar, meet DOMS.

DOMS, meet Stillstar.

Sounds like you'll become good friends.

What's your warmup and cooldown look like?

I don't know if "friends" is the word I would use... grrr.

For a warm up I spy-proof the front room, whack on the Wii and try to make an arse of myself to two or three Just Dance tunes...

Cool down is walking arm stretches following by longer lower body stretches.

pro analysis?

• Like 2

Day 4 - or thereabouts, posting times vary so this might get complicated.

Also I have propensity to ramble.

Mind: I tried the Headspace app for the first time last night. Nice intro on start-up, but a bit annoyed at having to give contact details straight away. The meditation itself was good, a solid ten minute intro. I used to meditate at the local Buddhist centre, and this had a much more modernist, user-friendly approach. I can't afford a monthly or annual fee, so after the ten-day trial I'll probably delete the app again.

Movement: I was toying with the idea of postponing the BW workout until tomorrow, since today was going to be a bit packed. But then I got a call from school and had to pick up a sick child early. What better way to entertain her than to do the sweaty grunting dance? I didn't manage all the push ups (set 2 was only 8 reps) and the last set of lunges wasn't very deep (I've had perceived knee problems since I was a child, so I've never trusted my legs. Even less so since this new "friend" DOMS showed up and made himself unwelcome). Really glad I did it 'though. Amazing what muscles actually do exist in my body. DOMS seems to have found them all. Bastard. 

Side effects: I'm tracking my nutrition using MyFitnessPal and seeing some interesting data. I'm not actually always hungry when it gets round to mealtime, so I've been playing with when "mealtime" actually is. I feel like a waiter in a private hotel when my daughter sits at the table, but when I see the effect it has on my total calorie intake I feel like a hero. Days 1-3 snacking didn't seem to be an issue, but today my nemesis called and I was distracted by work and took the call. Haven't had a blow out yet, and fingers crossed I can stave it off until I do my first weigh-in on day 7, so I can see the motivation written down in numbers. 

Strange side-effect seems to be lack of sleep. Since starting day 1 I've found it really hard to fall and stay asleep. I've had this problem before, but honestly thought more exercise would help me sleep better. Funny thing is 'though, normally I would have self medicated with the CCS diet (caffeine, carbs and sugar) AND been pretty much an ogre for most of the day. Neither of which has happened (yet). 

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, Silent Falcon said:

Hello!

You mentioned meditating using the Headspace app. I'd love to get into meditating, but it didn't make my quest list this time. Have you already tried this app? Do you like it?

Also, do you have a new activity in mind to try? 

Hi SilentFalcon, thanks for stopping by. I used Headspace for the first time last night, see above. Still on the fence. Re new activity, wow, in my daydreams I'm doing it all! In reality I've gotten totally risk averse with age, so it's going to be something fairly … "normal" I guess, like a kickboxing class, or .. I was going to say archery, but I have actually tried that before so it wouldn't count (loved it). I guess I still need to identify it! Hit me with your suggestions :)

• Like 1

Hi Stillstar. Congrats on starting your first challenge. It sounds like you’re taking on a lot - good for you! 

How did you find the first 22hr fast? I started doing intermittent fasting in the week (I don’t find it works with the family’s rhythm when I try it at the weekend) and go 16-18 hours normally. This I find fine and I’ve discovered I no longer like training untasted but I’m not sure how I’d cope with 22 hours. Once I get to 18 I’m usually ready to chew my own arm off! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam_Backhouse said:

Hi Stillstar. Congrats on starting your first challenge. It sounds like you’re taking on a lot - good for you! 

How did you find the first 22hr fast? I started doing intermittent fasting in the week (I don’t find it works with the family’s rhythm when I try it at the weekend) and go 16-18 hours normally. This I find fine and I’ve discovered I no longer like training untasted but I’m not sure how I’d cope with 22 hours. Once I get to 18 I’m usually ready to chew my own arm off! 

Hi Adam, thanks for stopping by :)

Yeh, the 22hrs was a bit tough. I kept a water bottle handy for every time I felt my hand creep It-like to the snack drawer. I totally agree, I wouldn't dream of trying to fast at the week-end. I don't really want my daughter to think that skipping meals is ok at the age she's at. She's lean and strong, exactly where I want to be, and she needs every calorie she consumes, so yea. We eat dinner pretty early 'though, usually about 6pm, so if I cheat breakfast (i.e. pretend I'm eating, when actually I'm just drinking herbal tea) and skip lunch , then I just need to hold out until dinner again. Which is actually not too bad if I choose the right day - on days she has after school clubs I don't get a chance to eat anyway, it's too hectic. So I can only say: keep water handy, and keep moving. Every time you want to eat. Move away from the food source, go and do something totally unrelated, but physical, i.e. not just open Facebook haha! Let me know how you get on. Good luck!

edit: also, I found if I did need to sit at the screen (for work), watching a couple of motivational work-out videos seems to do the trick mentally for me. Currently being massively inspired by the mighty Thor. Steve Amell was cast in that role previously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey there, how's it going for you?

On 4/25/2019 at 6:05 PM, StillStar said:

I can't afford a monthly or annual fee, so after the ten-day trial I'll probably delete the app again

In case you're in search for a new meditation app: I'm using Insight Timer, mainly because I only need silence and a bell every now and then to remind me get my drifting thoughts back to my breath. If you rather like guided mediation there's some available as well, but I don't know how much of it is free.

And concerning beginner yoga stuff: Have you checked out the NF Guide yet? There's 21 basic yoga poses sorted by difficulty. DoYogaWithMe also seems nice and contains tons of videos, though I don't know how far you can get without paying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CombustibleLemon said:

Hey there, how's it going for you?

In case you're in search for a new meditation app: I'm using Insight Timer, mainly because I only need silence and a bell every now and then to remind me get my drifting thoughts back to my breath. If you rather like guided mediation there's some available as well, but I don't know how much of it is free.

And concerning beginner yoga stuff: Have you checked out the NF Guide yet? There's 21 basic yoga poses sorted by difficulty. DoYogaWithMe also seems nice and contains tons of videos, though I don't know how far you can get without paying.

Thanks for these tips, CL, much appreciated. At the moment I think I prefer a guided meditation, but Insight Timer sounds great for things like holding stretches and (eventually) my C25k. I'll check the other links out as well, thank you!

• Like 1

Ok now I'm getting confused with the days, not sure if this site is recording a different time zone to the one I'm in...

Friday: a very quiet day, spent tending sick child, tried to make up for it by only having two meals. Which actually wasn't a stretch, seeing as she wasn't eating at all. 

Saturday: did the beginner BW workout. Still struggling with the pushups, partially because I'm terrified my hands will slip and I'll smack myself in the face with a kitchen counter... spent four hours on my feet, which kept me away from food and so managed to complete another 22hr fast. Only just though, I was pretty hungry when I got home. 

Sunday: we were going to hire bikes at the windfarm, but our playdate had been struck down by the same bug, so we went to the nature reserve instead, pond dipping and den building. Not an awful lot of movement, but great fun and outdoors. Doms is thankfully no longer the shouty, domineering infiltrator, however still a quiet background noise. Also, I weighed myself this morning and have dropped 1kg. Which is quite an achievement for me in the space of a week. It really helps my stickability. 

I've completed three guided meditations now using Headspace, and I find the voice so soothing I almost fall asleep. I think it might be better if I somehow create space to meditate in the morning, but that's for another challenge.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, StillStar said:

Still struggling with the pushups, partially because I'm terrified my hands will slip and I'll smack myself in the face with a kitchen counter... 

Do you have any of those little silicone can openers or trivet? You could try putting them under your hands to prevent slippage and make yourself feel more secure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 8:41 AM, StillStar said:

I don't know if "friends" is the word I would use... grrr.

For a warm up I spy-proof the front room, whack on the Wii and try to make an arse of myself to two or three Just Dance tunes...

Cool down is walking arm stretches following by longer lower body stretches.

pro analysis?

Sorry for the delay, My weekend started early and I tend to be absent myself from the forums on the weekend, kind of an unplug.

When they said dance like nobody's watching they didn't say dance like nobody COULD watch.

Seriously though, that's fine. Although it doesn't hurt to do some muscle group specific warmups. Now that's for the lower body though, I don't have the NF bodyweight program, so does it have upper and full body days as well?

I tend to do a full body warmup before I start my workout, but YMMV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Sorry for the delay, My weekend started early and I tend to be absent myself from the forums on the weekend, kind of an unplug.

When they said dance like nobody's watching they didn't say dance like nobody COULD watch.

Seriously though, that's fine. Although it doesn't hurt to do some muscle group specific warmups. Now that's for the lower body though, I don't have the NF bodyweight program, so does it have upper and full body days as well?

I tend to do a full body warmup before I start my workout, but YMMV. 

Thanks, Grumble, appreciate the feedback. The beginners BW workout is just five movements followed by thirty jumping jacks: squats, push ups, lunges, dumbbell rows and plank (see, they’re already burned on my brain). I’ve never done anything other than jog or swim (or dance, badly) so this is a complete change for me. I don’t know at what point to make the exercises harder, or do more reps, or start including weights (kettlebells?) or anything. Was hoping to pick that up along the way. 

I’m getting the automated emails to join the NF academy, but I just don’t have any money right now. Im putting a little away so that I will have it,but I can’t justify it before I’ve proved to myself that I can stick to a simple plan for four weeks.

• Like 3

Monday:

Had a long morning meeting, which included brunch, but managed to stay away from the pastries (a win in my book). Did the beginners BW workout and had creaky knees for the first set. Seemed to settle down after that. Managed to crash through my calorie target with an ill placed chocolate bunny which blocked my path. Bunny met its fate and I felt slightly nauseous afterwards. A very strange and surprising end to the day. Intending to make time for a long walk either tomorrow or Wednesday to walk off the bunny shame.

• Like 3