• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

15 minutes ago, StillStar said:

Thanks, Grumble, appreciate the feedback. The beginners BW workout is just five movements followed by thirty jumping jacks: squats, push ups, lunges, dumbbell rows and plank (see, they’re already burned on my brain). I’ve never done anything other than jog or swim (or dance, badly) so this is a complete change for me. I don’t know at what point to make the exercises harder, or do more reps, or start including weights (kettlebells?) or anything. Was hoping to pick that up along the way. 

I’m getting the automated emails to join the NF academy, but I just don’t have any money right now. Im putting a little away so that I will have it,but I can’t justify it before I’ve proved to myself that I can stick to a simple plan for four weeks.

The simple answer is you make them harder when they seem easy. As for leveling them up, there's all sorts of options, but in the interest of not overloading you with information, stick with what you have right now and bring it back up when the movements are no longer making you curse the gods 24-48 hours later.

I'm mildly surprised the program doesn't have any sort of warmup built into the program, because you should probably be doing a little bit more to warm up the upper body.

• Like 2

Don't beat yourself up over the bunny! It might be a slip, but it's not something you have to work out extra to "make up for." Just keep on keeping on!

• Like 2

Tuesday:

Managed a fast-paced 1.4km walk to school (thanks to scooters) and a scoot back - felt like a lot of lunges, haha! Sedentary morning, thanks to work, but went for a 6k walk after lunch so felt a lot better after that. According to MyFitnessPal I'm still within my daily calorie limit for losing 0.5kg so I'm pretty happy, since I've eaten well today and don't feel like I've deprived myself at all. Stocked up on some protein, as I don't seem to reach my quota for that on any day so far, and picked up a lot more greens as well. I trained myself a while ago to have some fruit at breakfast time, to feel like I'm starting the day off right, but now that feels like quite a sweet thing to start off with. Trying to think of alternatives to oats or eggs for breakfast, will consult the internet tonight. 

Edit: last night's viewing included Brie Larsson's training regime for Captain Marvel - uff! Props to her, I could feel my knee caps popping just watching it...

• Like 3

IT sounds like you've had a fantastic day with movement.  The scooter sounds like fun.  As for breakfast, sometimes I flip flop a traditional lunch/dinner meal for breakfast and have breakfast at night.   If you're bored that might be a good way to go.  Keep up the good work

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StillStar said:

Stocked up on some protein, as I don't seem to reach my quota for that on any day so far, and picked up a lot more greens as well.

what kind of protein yummies did you pick up? i'm always looking to expand my protein horizons.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, saoithin said:

what kind of protein yummies did you pick up? i'm always looking to expand my protein horizons.

Hi Saoithin, thanks for stopping by :) I got tuna, which I don't normally (what's the point when you're cooking for two and one of you doesn't like it), cooked slices of chicken for efficiency, chorizo, which I normally render a bit before eating, to reduce the fat content, and I finally found a place that sells tempeh, albeit in frozen block format. The best VLT I ever had was made with tempeh rashers, and I'm hoping to recreate that somehow...

• Like 2

Ok, so Wednesday:

Today was really, really tough. I could feel the black dog waiting for me the minute I woke up. I struggled through the morning routine and tried my best not to cry on the school run (don't ask, no particular reason whatsoever, that beast is not rational). 

The last seven days were really good emotionally, by my standards anyhow. I put that down to feeling good about a new start. I felt like maybe there was a place in this world for me - I know, I know, drama etc, but that's just how it feels. Logically I know that I am actually now properly trying to create the life that I believe I ought to be living, the one that I deserve, the one that in an alternate universe a smarter, more confident me would already be enjoying.

Today I could feel all the old mistakes and regrets scratching at the door, waiting to lord it over me. The day disappeared in a fog of misery while I tried to get the stuff done that I was supposed to do, but somehow didn't. I was painfully close to scrapping my swim, looking for any excuse not to take the kids to their lesson. But in the end I went, got into my suit, felt incredibly fat and slow, suffered the agonising embarrassment of the public showers and survived. Now I'm drained, and hope a good night's sleep will help. Off to bed at 9pm. Here's to a new day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, StillStar said:

But in the end I went

This is the most important 6 words in what you wrote. :)  You should be incredibly proud.  I hope tomorrow is easier for you.  You're not alone. Huggs

• Like 3

Right, having to go back to MyFitnessPal to track the last three days since my memory is worse than a goldfishs:

Thursday:

did the BW workout, upped the plank to 20s and the "dumbbell" rows to 13 each side. Think I need to try putting sand in the container rather than water to increase the weight, rather than reps. Starting to look at the pull-up bar and thinking I might try cracking my head on that door frame. Terrible diet day, owing mostly to the bunny torso and the chocolate and nut combo I decided was a "healthy" snack haha. Only managed to stay in calorie target because I counted the school runs, and I suspect those should really be included in my daily "lightly active" profile...

Friday: 

no exercise today, but brown rice is my new best friend. Ate a 70g portion (as per packet instructions) for lunch (a massive 78 calories) and did not manage to eat any dinner. That stuff is filling.

Saturday:

Weighed myself: 2kg down. Which makes me very happy, and stupidly ambitious. Can't fit into the size down jeans yet, but I can see them working their way to the top of the wardrobe pile. Calorie target hit, beginners BW workout done.

Travelling tomorrow with small child in tow and on stressful family business. Am officially allowing myself one stupidly calorific (childhood nostalgia) treat per day. Hopefully only a three day journey, but could turn into four. 

• Like 3

week 3 day 4:

after four days of mental stress (selling a family business in another country with two young children in tow because, childcare, y'know) I finally returned to the kingdom of strife on Wednesday night. I managed one set of BW workout in the hotel that morning, causing a half hour delay and heart palpitations for my driver (a stickler for getting to a ferry on time, I mean...). Nutrition was not entirely reckless and hence not quite as much of a disaster as anticipated, but still not worthy of inclusion in MyFitnessPal. If I remain steady weight on my next weighing on Saturday I'll call it a success. 

Yesterday the mental load caught up with me and I spent the day in a fug. Today brought new joys in the form of my mother. It gave me enough angry energy to go for a long walk, but now I am drained.

I need to build up some emotional resilience because this thing called life is throwing too many balls at me right now.

• Like 2

week 4 day … something, I've lost track. 

I'm a little relieved and a little concerned to see that I'm not the only one finding it tough to update daily/regularly. This challenge is almost done, and I'm very happy to say that I've lost a kg every week so far. I've slipped up in week 3 in terms of the BW training, so I've planned in the days on which I want to do them for the final week. On the other hand, I have managed to move from dumbbell rows to tricep dips on a chair and increased my plank time to 20secs. Squats, lunges and press-ups don't seem to be getting any easier, but I'm wondering if my form for the first two is getting better. No DOMS at all, which makes me think I should be increasing the exercise somehow, but I'm a bit stumped as to how. 

I'm in a middle of a fast day, which I started after lunch for a change to see whether that's any easier. 

• Like 3

Increase reps or weight depending on your goals, when it becomes easy is what I've heard, ymmv.

I think lack of DOMS means you're not overdoing it :D which is a good thing!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, StillStar said:

Life has seriously gotten in the way of me prioritising myself, especially since 2016, and I recently got scared into picking myself up and choosing to make time for my health. My aims for this challenge are:

- get used to being more active and making time for my physical and mental wellbeing, namely:

- do the beginners bodyweight workout at least twice per week

- fast 22hrs at least once per week

- meditate for at least 15mins at least once per week (i.e. actually use the Headspace app I downloaded three weeks ago)

also:

- get out of my comfort zone: try one new activity during the next four weeks

- make the time: I need to sell my business, which is not working for me or the way I want to live. So I want to complete work on my next output by the end of the challenge, notify my franchisor that I'm done and look forward to that all important June 1st deadline with a clear conscience

Final round-up:

- I did the BW workout at least twice per week. I surprised myself: keeping in mind "never twice in a row" was the key. What I learned: I CAN keep up regular exercise if I plan it in properly.

- fast 22hrs at least once per week. I managed 3/4. For the next challenge I'm going to try the other fasting pattern 16/8. What I learned: Meal planning is going to be important, I can't keep winging it.

- meditate for at least 15min at least once per week. Total fail. First week was fine, but then all the headfuck started and meditation got left by the wayside. What I learned: meditation was supposed to help me deal with the hf. Prioritise meditation over Netflix. Just do it.

- trying out new stuff was also a fail. But: I have booked a camper van for this weekend, which I've never done before, so that definitely is a new thing. Not strictly speaking during the challenge though. What I learned: new stuff is so hard. I kept looking at all the class timetables and making excuses not to go. Planning will be key.

- business: it's on its way out. I am looking at the finish line and I can't WAIT to be rid of it. What I learned: when it's time to move on, just move on.

Additionally I learned:

I love tracking stuff. I love tracking my weight (3.5kg down from beginning, woot!), my calories, my exercise.. I could spend hours tracking stuff. I learned that I need to eat more protein, so I bought some brown rice protein and stir it in various places (coffee, porridge, soup).

I kill the calories on the snackage. 80% of days I consume more calories in snackage than any single meal. I mean, coffee: 200c!! gross. Trying to stick to 1500 per day was hard, but not impossible. Eating the right things to fill me up was a good thing to learn. Also, it made me want to move more, so that I used up more calories. So I could eat more. It's not even BAD snackage, it's just extra calories.

Also: don't celebrate a mostly successful challenge by playing Eurovision Song Contest Bingo with your friends. Gin shots - gahhhhh. 

• Like 3