• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

crashy

Sweating like a boss. How to fix?

Hey Team,

Hope you're all well. So I sweat like an absolute champion.

Literally at the end of a 30-45 minute workout my tshirt will be fully drenched with sweat. See below

image.png.85e0ad0e74ae602f2c70b44d94790cbf.png

That's fine, I sweat, I don't care. 

The thing that I do care about is being able to cool down afterwards. At our offices I can run during lunch, and I end up looking like the above after 30 minutes, I then have a shower and 30 minutes later I'm still hot and sweaty. I actually take a little sweat towel back to my desk to wipe the sweat off me. 

Who has a solution for me? I need something to do in order to rapidly cool down during my shower so that when I'm dressed after my shower I'm not sweating.

You may just sweat a lot. One option from my admittedly non-medical opnion is something you already probably try. Drink very cold water and make sure that shower is cold. Those can both help reduce body temp, though I admit they are not a total solution.

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You may just sweat a lot. One option from my admittedly non-medical opnion is something you already probably try. Drink very cold water and make sure that shower is cold. Those can both help reduce body temp, though I admit they are not a total solution.

I wonder if a warm shower isn't a better idea, because the body reacts by cooling down. That's why warm showers can help you sleep, because a few minutes after the shower your core temperature is a little cooler than usual. Possible a good combination might be cold first, to quickly reduce your temp, then warm second, to make sure it stays low when you get out. For the same reason I would not drink very cold water.

Also, if you don't mind something a little unnatural, maybe a powder or anti-perspirant applied in trouble areas. Just be sure to get a non-scented one if you're applying large amounts, because while you will quickly habituate to the smell and not notice it, your colleagues will hate you if you drench yourself in scent. So, I'm not sure how healthy it is to use anti-perspirants which stop you sweating rather than masking sweat with a scent ( as deodorants do), but I guess it depends how distressing you find it to be sweating at work. 

Do you take time for a cool down before you hop in the shower? If not, that could possibly be extending the sweat time. You can also experiment between drinking ice water & cold shower vs room temp water for both/either (and various combinations and permutations thus) - for some folks, toggling the temp of the water for internal/external use can make a difference. Eg. frozen berries & protein smoothie with lukewarm shower?

In the meantime, don't wear cotton - it will hold the sweat against your skin instead of wicking it away and allowing the evaporation that actually cools your body temp. Wool or a technical synthetic fabric will likely be a better choice - though bear in mind that the synthetic fibers will hold onto odor faster. After your shower, if you can budget the time (maybe while drinking your smoothie? ;)), try to 'air dry' before getting dressed, so that your skin is as dry as possible before you change back into work clothes.

Apart from that, there's not much we can do effect how much/how we sweat. Stay hydrated, and congrats on getting your workout in!

Bit late responding... I read somewhere that there can be medical reasons for excessive sweating, though I can't recall if there was an easy solution. If it's a problem more generally it might be worth checking out... But if it's just post-workout then probably not worth stressing about! A little online search brought this up:

https://www.healthline.com/health/hyperhidrosis#types 

Good luck!