• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter's back, alright!

6595q.gif

Hello friends! I'm back from an absolutely amaaaazing vacay to Iran, I absolutely loved it. I saw a lot of beautiful architecture, beautiful landscapes, bonded with my friends and ate a lot of food. A LOT of food. It was great. 

giphy.gif

I might do a little write up, if you guys want, or perhaps just throw a link to my pics.

What about this challenge? The main thing is to get back into a routine after barely having moved for almost two weeks. I got a nasty stubborn cough just before I left for Iran which didn't help. But now I feel fantastic and coming back to spring being springy makes me all happy and enthusiastic to do all the things! :) 

source.gif

Which is a problem for setting goals, as I can't quite pick any ones to focus on. Super simple goals it is.

1. Morning movement - I feel like this is a key habit to make my day better so I want to make sure I pick it up again.

2. Do MOAR things - I'm not quite sure how you all manage to juggle so many hobbies, but if you can make it work, then maybe I can make my lazy ass do more things too? Nothing specific, I just feel like it's time to use my brain a little more again.

3. Positive actions - Because I really liked this one.

I'm late so let's go!

d3fyfOz.png

• Like 9

Starting off with a positive actions list for today :) 

• Climbing! I went yesterday as well, but that was more of a get my body moving again session. Today I climbed until my skin was on fire and it was great to try hard and feel my muscles working again. However it turns out that sadly ice cream bulking doesn't work if you don't actually train. ;) 
  • Went for a walk
  • I was at the grocery store and just as I was about to pay I realized I had forgotten my wallet at home. Instead of getting annoyed I just saw it as an opportunity to spend more time outside in the lovely weather - I jogged back home and then biked back to the store. 
  • Gave a bunch of sweets and cookies from Iran to my friends
  • Started a spring cleaning project - I cleaned up the kitchen and threw out a bunch of old stuff etc. I also started a little wardrobe declutter. 
  • Meditated for the first time in forever - it was hard to focus but because of too many positive thoughts so it could've been worse
  • Like 6

I looooove the positive actions list <3

Glad you had such a great time! Do tell us stories AND drop the link to the pictures :)

If you figure out how people have hobbies, let me know, I don't have any besides my work x) 

• Like 1

Ohhh what an awesome list. I lurked in your threads before but just realised a positive actions list is different than just a "being grateful for..." because it is characterised by... actions/actionables :) *obvious conclusion is obvious & thanks for sharing!*

i, too, would enjoy a story/stories and pictures about Iran. 

Heeeyy you're back!

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Do tell us stories AND drop the link to the pictures :)

Yes please do! I'm so happy the visa thing was sorted out and you could go! I'm still a bit gutted we missed each other by a few months though ah.

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Meditated for the first time in forever - it was hard to focus but because of too many positive thoughts so it could've been worse

Love this :D

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Do MOAR things

A bit surprising to me, because my feeling is that you do a lot already (parkour, climbing, acro, physio, social, drawing and gardening every so often). What sort of hobbies do you have in mind?

If you figure out how people have hobbies, let me know, I don't have any besides my work x) 

To be fair, you have a busy job AND a young kid as well.

I might do a little write up, if you guys want

Yes please!

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

However it turns out that sadly ice cream bulking doesn't work if you don't actually train

Huh, I got the same results you did.  I think there may be something to this... :D 

Because I really liked this one.

I love this too!!!

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Sure but you're running a business, are a high level athlete AND you have a toddler to deal with! Yet you still find the time to learn new things. I'm single, have near zero responsibilities and work 10-5 on a good day so I feel like I have no excuse really.

5 hours ago, @mu said:

A bit surprising to me, because my feeling is that you do a lot already (parkour, climbing, acro, physio, social, drawing and gardening every so often). What sort of hobbies do you have in mind?

A lot of physical activities but not many brain/creative activities... I keep finding myself wasting time all too often and not in a relaxing way. As I mentioned above I have a fair amount free time and I'd like to use it a bit better. Drawing is one of the things that has completely slipped, so has the gardening (need to get more aggressive about the thrips!). But maybe also learn something, perhaps a little Finnish to help with acro classes? I also have a few sewing project ideas. More cooking experiments perhaps. Dunno, just stuff! :) 

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yes please on the stories and pics! Glad you had a good time. What a unique place to visit. 

Will do! 

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Ohhh what an awesome list. I lurked in your threads before but just realised a positive actions list is different than just a "being grateful for..." because it is characterised by... actions/actionables :) *obvious conclusion is obvious & thanks for sharing!*

i, too, would enjoy a story/stories and pictures about Iran. 

Yes, that's why I like it! Gratefulness list are nice too but when I'm in a good mood I don't need them and if I'm in a bit of a funk they make me feel even worse. Positive actions is like giving myself a pat on the back and creates a nice feedback loop. :) 

And hi! Welcome! :D 

4 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes please do! I'm so happy the visa thing was sorted out and you could go! I'm still a bit gutted we missed each other by a few months though ah.

Meeee toooo!!!! We'll have to make something happen on of these days.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Huh, I got the same results you did.  I think there may be something to this... :D 

Dammit. :lol:

4 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Welcome back!! I'm glad you had a good time. :)

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back!

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

sounds like you came back plenty refreshed!! that's a wonderful feeling. hope you're able to capitalize on it as much as possible.

Cheers guys! :D 

• Like 1

Morning movement - Yes

Back to the Monday morning office gym routine! :) I was pretty sore after climbing, and pretty heavy after my trip haha, but I still managed to eke out a few push-ups and pull-ups so it's not all doomed. ;) Did a few deadlifts which felt super heavy. I skipped squats in favour of some funky BW squat variations to strengthen my ankles. My right ankle is jamming a bit lately and I think a little strengthening might do it good.

Do MOAR things - Nope

Had very little spare time today and I used to watch climbing videos. It's ok.

Positive actions

• Morning gym
  • Parkour! <3 My regular teacher is back after a long break which is great. I love her flowy style and smooth way of moving and she teaches that way too. Oh and we had class outside! So fun. We did a bit of scary rail balancing, some wall runs, started to learn palm spins off of low horizontal surfaces and my favourite - a bunch of flow work on the rails of a stair case where we weaved our way over and between and under the rails. The first task was to come up with as many different ways as possible of getting between the rails (there was a top rail and a bottom rail) and I came up with this awesome slide that was both super fun and very efficient. I.e. really lazy haha :D But everyone really liked it. I LOVE these little creative moments I sometimes have in parkour. I feel like such an uncreative person so these moments are just really satisfying and fun.
  • Took the long way home after class. I still had energy left so I jumped on some rocks, took off my shoes and went on a little barefoot walk. I climbed a tree, picked some flowers. Basically embracing the hobbit life. :lol: Including eating way too much food haha, which I did yet again just before class.10/10 do NOT recommend. 

Other than that I had a good first day back at work. Barely did any work, but spent a lot of time chatting and catching up with people. Very enjoyable. :) 

I have to say that even if the nature here is not very spectacular, especially compared to where I’ve just been, I really do love my island and its quiet beauty and the long days we’re starting to get.A44703D9-9B43-4365-B80F-5DA04BDCB952.thumb.jpeg.b691a644a860716d9fa19d043c79c072.jpeg

9:30 pm view from the tree

35138917-A82D-435A-A2E3-3AC7549B2F8A.thumb.jpeg.3bc7071014d456c4d2bb43af2c4dbdcd.jpeg

10 pm loveliness 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The first task was to come up with as many different ways as possible of getting between the rails (there was a top rail and a bottom rail) and I came up with this awesome slide that was both super fun and very efficient. I.e. really lazy haha :D But everyone really liked it. I LOVE these little creative moments I sometimes have in parkour. I feel like such an uncreative person so these moments are just really satisfying and fun.

Love this.  Those times when training/working out is indistinguishable from playing like a kid are the best

• Like 1

That does look lovely! 

Sounds like you're having a very nice time coming back from vacation too, that's the absolute best :)

On 4/29/2019 at 8:37 AM, @mu said:

To be fair, you have a busy job AND a young kid as well.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:51 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Sure but you're running a business, are a high level athlete AND you have a toddler to deal with! Yet you still find the time to learn new things.

So nice of you two to make me feel better about not having (other) hobbies <3

The new things I learn ARE all job related (and done during work time) to be fair, but it's all ok. I like my work. And my kid. 

I'm single, have near zero responsibilities and work 10-5 on a good day so I feel like I have no excuse really.

I think almost everyone could make some time really, the important thing is that you want to- so you'll figure it out I'm sure :)

And don't forget that you have a lot of hobbies that are disguised as exercise.. and I mean.. watching climbing videos is basically part of your hobby?

Brain fart; maybe you should try a bullet journal- write down your daily positive actions list in there and then just doodle away! It'll be nice to go through when it's full. 

On 4/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Welcome back!!!!  Love the return of positive actions and can't wait to hear all about your adventure to Iran!!

Thanks! I'll get on it sooooon, promise!

On 4/30/2019 at 6:30 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

aw, nature is always spectacular! it's just sometimes it's also surprising :D 

Well put!

On 4/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Love this.  Those times when training/working out is indistinguishable from playing like a kid are the best

SO FUN! I know what you mean but I think this kind of training is quite different from playing like a kid. It's playful, but it's also very structured and mindful. Coming up with as many silly ways as possible of interacting with an obstacle is a very concrete and serious task. ;) 

On 4/30/2019 at 8:13 PM, raptron said:

OUTDOOR CLASS SEASON! Ahhh, I love it.

Also yay, so glad you had an amazing trip. :D 

ME TOO! 

I think almost everyone could make some time really, the important thing is that you want to- so you'll figure it out I'm sure :)

And don't forget that you have a lot of hobbies that are disguised as exercise.. and I mean.. watching climbing videos is basically part of your hobby?

Brain fart; maybe you should try a bullet journal- write down your daily positive actions list in there and then just doodle away! It'll be nice to go through when it's full. 

I agree, my point was only that for me it should already be very easy to make time.

Sure, let's call it that. ;) 

I tried a few times, but it doesn't seem to stick. But who knows, I might try again one of these days.

Tuesday

Morning movement - Yes

A one song floor flow

Do MOAR things - Nope

No excuse this time. I ended up working all day, after a slow start in the morning I ended up in a bit of a coding flow and after that I was tired. I also ate too much candy and cookies from my trip and felt gross haha. Still, I could've done something, but I didn't. 

Positive actions - I'm really going to have to scrape the barrel on this one

• Umm I guess getting a lot of work stuff done? This often feels like it has more negative knock-on effects though.
  • Spent few minutes tidying while the kettle was boiling

-----------------

Today

Morning movement - Yes

It was a beautiful day so I went outside for a walk, during which I ended up doing a bit of handstand training and a bit of casual parkour. :D Mainly a few pres and rolls. It was great.

Do MOAR things - Yes

I did a little Finnish. I've forgotten pretty much everything, and I'm not really willing to fully commit to learning the language, but a few minutes here and there can't hurt.

Positive actions

• Few songs of floor flow
  • Lots of outside time with parkour and handstands
  • Finnish
  • Finished the decluttering that I started (it's only a few drawers)
  • Tried hard at climbing. :) I was still sore from my overenthusiastic return to training, but it turned out to be ok once I warmed up. Didn't manage to finish anything, or even make much progress on the climbs I was trying, but it felt like good practice and good climbs for getting stronger. The only bad thing is that my skin is in a terrible state and my finger tip actually started to bleed. 
  • Went out for post-climbing pizza and it was awesome to hang out with my friends for a bit.
  • Like 5

On 4/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, Mad Hatter said:

But now I feel fantastic and coming back to spring being springy makes me all happy and enthusiastic to do all the things! :) 

RjhgRow.gif

HIIIII buddy! Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, zenLara said:

What a beautiful tree in the picture! Love it!

Following!

Perfect for sitting and chilling in too. :) 

On 5/2/2019 at 4:49 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

RjhgRow.gif

HIIIII buddy! Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip.

Thanks!

Thursday

Had a bit of a down day - my body felt wrecked after climbing and it was cold and rainy so it all ended up a bit rubbish. Abrupt changes in weather for the worse always seems to do a number on me, I sleep a little worse and end up with low energy. Oh well.

Morning movement - No

I forgot...

Do MOAR things - No

Nothing.

Positive actions - I don't even know what happened... Grasping at straws here

• I walked to the further away store even though it was raining instead of the one that's 30 seconds away :P 
  • Cooked proper dinner
  • Forced myself to do five minutes of tidying while waiting for the kettle to boil

However what I did throughout the day remains a mystery.

EDIT: I do remember, I watched the new season of GoT because it turns out that when you're not in Iran spoilers are everywhere, and my friends are the worst. I had to find a different wall to climb to avoid them.

--------

Today was a good day though! Just had a lot of fun at the office, and my colleague made tiramisu that I had both post lunch and later for tea break because YOLO. ;) 

Morning movement - Yes

I biked to the coffee shop before heading to the office for LEG DAY! Because my upper body hurts from climbing and I've eaten too much to do pull-ups haha. Such is life. :lol: I did some ankle work, squats and deadlifts + push-ups. Since my friend is still in Iran it was a lot less chatting and a lot more work and I ended up pretty fried afterwards. It was good though! My form felt really rather solid on squats after my warm up exercises, but on the flip side my quads got tired early and I struggled a little with the weight. I also need to film my deadlifts soooon for a form check as it feels like I'm overusing my upper back. #climberproblem?

Do MOAR things - No

Not yet, but there's still time if I get my shit together. ;) 

Positive actions

• Didn't bail on the bike ride even though it was SNOWING. Only the most minuscule snow fall ever, but still. 
  • Morning gym
  • Finished off the thing I've been working on for most of this week
  • Had an afternoon beer at work chatting with my colleague. He's been working on a huge side project for a long, long time now, and he gently approached me about helping out. At first I was a bit dismissive in my head, but now having thought about it a little I'm actually really flattered that he'd even consider me. Like this person is on a completely different level than me, he's even written a book right. And he knows very well that I don't take an active interest in software development outside of work and let's be real that I'm kinda lazy hahaa. And yet he trusts me enough and thinks that I would be useful. I'm a little concerned about the potential time investment (especially screen time) but it's also a potentially cool opportunity and who knows where it might lead? Even if it's nowhere it's still a neat learning opportunity. Also why do I get the feeling that he's been sneakily priming me all this time hmmm?
  • This workout song is making me happy. :D 

• Like 4